The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon Prime)

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
Yeah, well, Two Towers was non-canon "garbage," but it was a fantastic film. There is soooo far less to worry about with Rings of Power. But yeah, oh no, there's a black elf. What shall we do?
Nothing to do with black elves. It was the horrible writing and story telling of S1 that was stupid at best and offensive at worst. There was way too much wrong with it to even start to recap it. Some of it was listed earlier in the thread and there's a more that could be listed. I can't think of anything that I'd call good story telling in S1.

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
I love LOTR, all Tolkien, my all time favorite reads. Loved the movies.

But, it's not sacred scripture. Personally, I think it's okay for other writers to use their imagination in that world. IF it's well done, I will watch it. If it isn't, it can go in the junk pile of the first LOTR movie.
The TT changes were minor compared to what they did in RoP. Plus it wasn't well done. While not sacred scripture the problem is that Tolkien laid out, in great detail, the 2nd age when RoP takes place. You can't make major changes to that like what they're trying to do.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The TT changes were minor compared to what they did in RoP. Plus it wasn't well done. While not sacred scripture the problem is that Tolkien laid out, in great detail, the 2nd age when RoP takes place. You can't make major changes to that like what they're trying to do.
Baloney. For one thing, with the TT you have a ton of solid, direct story. You're complaining about appendix material and minutiae that, put together, wouldn't make a season of a show, let alone a show.

Also, the changes in TT were not minor. "Men stand alone at Helm's Deep....nah, but the elveses are cool, we'd better include them." "Faromir will refuse to let the ring influence him....no, actually, he decides to drag them and the ring along with him." And so on.

There's a very verbal minority that hates on RoP, and they can go on doing so without care from me. And I'm the guy that always criticizes adaptations!

Stout

Reaction score
Nothing to do with black elves. It was the horrible writing and story telling of S1 that was stupid at best and offensive at worst. There was way too much wrong with it to even start to recap it. Some of it was listed earlier in the thread and there's a more that could be listed. I can't think of anything that I'd call good story telling in S1.
I criticize bad writing all over the place and I didn't notice overtly bad writing throughout. You don't mean bad writing; you mean bad TO YOU writing and bad TO YOUR SENSE OF THE STORY writing.

Also, offensive? What the hell is there to be offensive about in a Rings of Power show? Unless, again, black elves? What is truly offensive there?

Stout

Reaction score
@Devilmaycare You hate the show. I get it. You don't have to like it. Seethe against it, rage against it, sure. I'm that way with Thor: Ragnarok and now with the new Deadpool movie. Just don't expect to bring others round to that POV, though, and expect to tear it down for them completely.

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
Baloney. For one thing, with the TT you have a ton of solid, direct story. You're complaining about appendix material and minutiae that, put together, wouldn't make a season of a show, let alone a show.

Also, the changes in TT were not minor. "Men stand alone at Helm's Deep....nah, but the elveses are cool, we'd better include them." "Faromir will refuse to let the ring influence him....no, actually, he decides to drag them and the ring along with him." And so on.

There's a very verbal minority that hates on RoP, and they can go on doing so without care from me. And I'm the guy that always criticizes adaptations!
TT is by far my least favorite of the movies because the changes made. Mainly for the reasons you listed along with the awful scenes in Osgiliath. PJ messed those up big time.

And there's more to appendix material and minutiae for the first and second ages. They just don't have the rights to them so they're filling in the holes with complete idiocy. Galadriel jumping into the middle of the ocean. The way Mt. Doom was created. No damage from the pyroclast. The master smith not knowing what an alloy is. No one noticing a giant trench being dug up to a watch tower. And that's just the low hanging stupidity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TT is by far my least favorite of the movies because the changes made. Mainly for the reasons you listed along with the awful scenes in Osgiliath. PJ messed those up big time.

And there's more to appendix material and minutiae for the first and second ages. They just don't have the rights to them so they're filling in the holes with complete idiocy. Galadriel jumping into the middle of the ocean. The way Mt. Doom was created. No damage from the pyroclast. The master smith not knowing what an alloy is. No one noticing a giant trench being dug up to a watch tower. And that's just the low hanging stupidity.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry @Devilmaycare . I had to after reading that deep Tolkien diatribe.

The show ain’t made for the die-hard-core book readers. It’s made for the masses. I dug the scope and scale of the show and hope the storytelling gets a little better. It made strides towards the second half of Season 1 after being a bit of a slog in the first.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sorry @Devilmaycare . I had to after reading that deep Tolkien diatribe.

The show ain’t made for the die-hard-core book readers. It’s made for the masses. I dug the scope and scale of the show and hope the storytelling gets a little better. It made strides towards the second half of Season 1 after being a bit of a slog in the first.
I think this really hits the nail on the head. I tuned in because the epic feeling of the show mirrored the movies, although the movies FAR FAR outpace the show. However, production value was out of this world on the show and I did feel that we were part of THAT world that Peter Jackson created. (It helped that one of my friends was a lead, but I digress -- oh, and she quit the show for season 2 :( )

And this diatribe against Two Towers is blasphemy -- it may be the weakest of the three movies, but that's like saying Godfather is the weaker of Godfather and Godfather Part 2. It certainly isn't the Godfather 3 of the trilogy by any means.

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
I think this really hits the nail on the head. I tuned in because the epic feeling of the show mirrored the movies, although the movies FAR FAR outpace the show. However, production value was out of this world on the show and I did feel that we were part of THAT world that Peter Jackson created. (It helped that one of my friends was a lead, but I digress -- oh, and she quit the show for season 2 :( )

And this diatribe against Two Towers is blasphemy -- it may be the weakest of the three movies, but that's like saying Godfather is the weaker of Godfather and Godfather Part 2. It certainly isn't the Godfather 3 of the trilogy by any means.
I find the production value lacking a bit on the show, especially for the money spent on it. Some of the costuming straight up feels cheap and lower quality than we see out of the high end cosplayers. I don't think the world feels like the one of Peter Jackson. It's trying to be and it's close but it's the little details that throws off the feel. It's like if we went to a parallel world and every thing was the same but Coke was blue and Pepsi red. It's not really in your face but it makes things feel off.

And you're right, TT isn't Godfather 3 bad. That would be the Hobbit movies. TT is a good movie who's main issues are just the deviations from the books. I'm not a complete purest either. Some changes had to be made for the medium change and I get why stuff like Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire were cut. Faramir and the ring going to Gondor are huge narrative shifts though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I find the production value lacking a bit on the show, especially for the money spent on it. Some of the costuming straight up feels cheap and lower quality than we see out of the high end cosplayers. I don't think the world feels like the one of Peter Jackson. It's trying to be and it's close but it's the little details that throws off the feel. It's like if we went to a parallel world and every thing was the same but Coke was blue and Pepsi red. It's not really in your face but it makes things feel off.

And you're right, TT isn't Godfather 3 bad. That would be the Hobbit movies. TT is a good movie who's main issues are just the deviations from the books. I'm not a complete purest either. Some changes had to be made for the medium change and I get why stuff like Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire were cut. Faramir and the ring going to Gondor are huge narrative shifts though.
We'll agree to disagree about the show. Definitely not the best, but certainly good enough to continue watching.

In comparison, we have the Willow show. Now THAT was a travesty.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This. I don't think you can say the production value is "lacking" unless you are unfairly comparing it to a big block buster movie. In terms of comparing it to other shows? It's top notch.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score

Oh, TT is absolutely a smashing movie. Bernard Hill's epic ad libbing scene where he exhorts his riders while hitting their spears is insane. While the movie pissed me off on first viewing and the niggling problems are still annoying, I can easily set that aside to enjoy the larger movie now. Those three movies are the absolute perfect trilogy.

God, I love posting here, because I can go nuts with silly filler words and not worry about writer/editor brain causing me grief :D

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh dear lord, I hate watched that as treadmill TV and found it to be a riotous comedy :D
I won't hate watch shows. I don't have the time. I just jump ship and never look back. Well unless you count Zach Snyder's Rebel Moon. That was AWFUL. I had to choke down regurgitation to watch the 2nd one.

Stout

Reaction score
I won't hate watch shows. I don't have the time. I just jump ship and never look back. Well unless you count Zach Snyder's Rebel Moon. That was AWFUL. I had to choke down regurgitation to watch the 2nd one.
It's hard to concentrate well on the treadmill, so that's where I tend to hate watch. I can't be bothered to waste my time like that at home.

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
Oh dear lord, I hate watched that as treadmill TV and found it to be a riotous comedy :D
Time Bandits might work for you then in a similar way. I'm about to give up on it. I have e6 to watch still and that's probably going to be it for me. I've only stuck with it this long because I had read that e6 was the turning point but that's going to be trying to drift the Titanic at this point. I almost turned off e5 mid-show and that's with me being super high watching it. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the production value lacking a bit on the show, especially for the money spent on it. Some of the costuming straight up feels cheap and lower quality than we see out of the high end cosplayers.

Man… I have to vehemently disagree. Every bit of the money is on screen. You’re living in a past where the die hard fanboys freaked out over a picture and tweet that made y’all go nuts about how cheap jt looked, then could never admit you were wrong once the show actually hit screens.

I don't think the world feels like the one of Peter Jackson.

Well… that’s because it’s NOT the Peter Jackson world. And holding a TV show to the standard of an Academy Award Nominated and Winning film is ludicrous.

It's trying to be and it's close but it's the little details that throws off the feel. It's like if we went to a parallel world and every thing was the same but Coke was blue and Pepsi red. It's not really in your face but it makes things feel off.

This is its own thing and its own interpretation of a massive story. You either gotta get over the fact that it’s not Peter Jackson’s LOTR or stop watching.

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
Man… I have to vehemently disagree. Every bit of the money is on screen. You’re living in a past where the die hard fanboys freaked out over a picture and tweet that made y’all go nuts about how cheap jt looked, then could never admit you were wrong once the show actually hit screens.

Well… that’s because it’s NOT the Peter Jackson world. And holding a TV show to the standard of an Academy Award Nominated and Winning film is ludicrous.

This is its own thing and its own interpretation of a massive story. You either gotta get over the fact that it’s not Peter Jackson’s LOTR or stop watching.
To be clear, I wasn't trying to say that it should be Peter Jackson's world. That was responding to a comment in the post I quoted. I don't want it to be Peter Jackson's LotR. I want it to be Tolkien's world. This is not it. Jackson was a light year closer to it then this though.

And the money being on the screen, I found s1 to be a bit mixed with that. Some stuff looked amazing but there were also very cheap looking things that I would say is worse than a lot of cosplayers.