The Market 2022-2023-2024

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hammered. Oof.
We had a VIX move of 50% or more today at one point with less than 2% loss on the SPX. Crazy. Things you don't typically see in bull markets. Watching rates implode without the currently inverted yield curve resteeepening is absolutely nuts.

:oops:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well... Powell is getting exactly what he was looking for... Higher unemployment which will expedite the drop in inflation down to his cherished 2% target. Unintended (or are they) consequences be damned. :mad:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... Powell is getting exactly what he was looking for... Higher unemployment which will expedite the drop in inflation down to his cherished 2% target. Unintended (or are they) consequences be damned. :mad:
Powell is a joke.

Rate cut should have happened last month.

The lower and middle class suffer so the wealthy can prosper

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Powell is a joke.

Rate cut should have happened last month.

The lower and middle class suffer so the wealthy can prosper
Yea... and I know I'm in the minority, but the rate hikes did not need to be so steep and so fast as well. Again, I know I'm in the minority, but had the Fed not been do harsh with the rate hikes, I believe inflation would've moderated anyway. They could've still carried out their quantitative tightening and only slightly & slowly increased rates, rather than assuming they alone control the ebb & flow of economic cycles.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Correct. The fed is always late. It's just part of the game and how it's always been. If anyone wants to know what they'll do, turn off CNBC and watch the bond market. Specifically the short end of the yield curve. They are never too far behind the action of the 2 yr and 3 month yield.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea... and I know I'm in the minority, but the rate hikes did not need to be so steep and so fast as well. Again, I know I'm in the minority, but had the Fed not been do harsh with the rate hikes, I believe inflation would've moderated anyway. They could've still carried out their quantitative tightening and only slightly & slowly increased rates, rather than assuming they alone control the ebb & flow of economic cycles.
All it did was make inflation worse by giving corporations cover to raise prices higher than needed.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm down less than 1% for the week. The market was overheated from all of the AI hype. I don't see this as a big deal.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess my friend who works at Super Micro is having a terrible week. She is in the window where she can sell and was hoping to get 800 a share but the stock was down in the 600's and she was holding. I told her to sell just take money before the window closes.

Yesterday Hindenburg did a scathing short seller report saying clear accounting red flags. This morning they're down close to 24%, they delayed the annual filing due to need to investigate and said they can't possibly do their due diligence and file in time. Stock is just over 400 now.

In the report it says they have all sorts of undisclosed relations in their accounting, selling between companies owned by the CEO, his wife, and their relatives. That some of their components are going to Russia avoiding federal bans and all sorts of really bad stuff. SMCI was one of the companies the US targeted when Trump was in office for violating export bans, I told her that when she got hired but she had been assured the people involved had all been fired. The short seller report said interviews with former employees says almost all of those people have been rehired since then and are right back at work doing all sorts of inappropriate accounting stuff.

She's still doing ok she gets a decent salary and bonus but the stock is a big blow and she of course now has grave concerns about job security. If they're doing what the report says they're doing, they're overstating earnings and that will ultimately almost assuredly lead to layoffs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat