The Matt Leinart era "probably" ends

Reaction score
so you think we just gave $19 mil to Kurt for 1 season?
Yes! Reported contract structure (not confirmed): $19 million guaranteed - $15 million signing bonus and $4 million salary for 2009, and additional $4 million salary for 2010.

If in fact that is the structure of Warner's contract, it almost seems designed for transition at QB next season; whether Warner stays or goes in 2010!

Last edited:

LACardsJoe

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree.

You don't pay HUGE money for an explosive passing game, and then have a sub-par backup plan.

That's a very good point. Injuries are all too frequent in the NFL, we need a capable back up and Leinart provides that and then some. In the "euphoria" of the Warner signing, I mentioned trading Leinart. I am having second thoughts now. Oh and that Cassell comment was on point, he did the clipboard shuffle and was well compensated in the end.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Matt will ask for a trade, in fact demand it without a doubt. Kurt in an interview on the radio even thanks so.

Bears, Jets, Bucs, and Lions are the four most likely destinations IMO.

Expect to here a lot of trade offers being rumored.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
First, I do not believe 2010 will be uncapped. They will redo the CBA and cap it in the offseason.

In a perfect world, the Cards get 2 good years out of Kurt and we see Leinart play a few games and he looks good. Then in 2011, Kurt retires and Matt takes over. The Cards keep winning and got to the playoffs 4 years in a row.

I do not think Matt will want to sit on the bench for 2 more years and wait for Warner to retire. Matt's 2010 $14.5M salary gives Matt all the leverage and the Cards little.

If I was GM, I want to and see if I can get my perfect world situation to happen. How to do that?

Step 1 : Keep Matt for 2009. If Matt starts a few games and looks good and the Cards go to the playoffs.

Step 2 : Keep the high flying passing offense as it brings great QB stats and makes the QBs on the Cards look good in the media.

Step 3 : After Matt has a very good game in 2009 as Kurts tempoary injury replacement, start contract talks to redo 2010. Switch his contract so he has a high but still acceptable contract for a backup QB, but put in extra cash that pays him as a starter for each game he plays more than 60% of the snaps. For 2011 and beyond, pay him like a proven starter. Matt might also want some kind of clause so we don't hold onto him until the the season starts and then cut him. He needs somekind of proof in the contract that basicly gaurenttees him the starting QB job for 2011.

Will it work? Who knows.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe can you clarify Matt's contract.

Database says 1.1 base, counts over 3 million this year in caproom. USA Today says 670K base counts 2.2.

I seem to recall next year you said he has some huge bonus due. So it would seem that trading him this year before that bonus comes due reduces the hit but next year is uncapped so might not matter?

Redbird 78

Reaction score
Matt will ask for a trade, in fact demand it without a doubt. Kurt in an interview on the radio even thanks so.

Do you think the Cards would trade Leinart? If they did, they need a #2. I can't imagine they think St. Pierre can fill that role...but what do I know?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How far did the 2006 Rose Bowl QB's careers sort of correlate in ways

Vince Young - Loses job to aging Collins (but also a head case)
Matt Leinart - Loses job to aging Warner (but also questionable work ethic)

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
As I said in the wrong thread :)

Great for Kurt, but I feel badly for Matt. His former backup is getting paid big bucks in KC, and poor Matt can't even sniff the field.

He should at least request a trade.

Cards232

Registered
Reaction score
I hope we're able to keep Matt. If not, the reports I've heard is that the coaches have been very impressed w/ St. Pierre & he, like Leinart, has been learning from the master. Remember, once upon a time, Warner was cut by the Packers & was a 3rd stringer w/ the Rams. Warner learned from his master (Martz), & the rest is history.

I suspect we'll soon learn just what the coaches really think of St. Pierre as they deal w/ the Leinart situation. I would love to have all 3 remain in the fold.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about calling the Lions and asking for their second round pick (33rd overall). They would fill their biggest need and allow them to keep both of their first round picks to fill other needs (which they have plenty of).

That's what i said. The Lions could draft Curry and an OT. Whiz would be able to draft HIS guy (maybe Freeman?) and let him apprentice under Warner for 2 years. It would definitely help cap wise.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

IF that is the case.

I would take nothing but draft picks.

We would need to draft a QB and one of those picks could go towards one.

That and we would be one injury away from the BSP experiment.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Matt is gone. He will ask for a trade. It isn't about money at this point. He needs to play. Whiz hates him anyway. It works for both parties. We will probably regret the move but it is what it is. The majority of fans are happy and I can think of that being the case just about never. It is time to start scouting a new college QB.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Matt is gone. He will ask for a trade. It isn't about money at this point. He needs to play. Whiz hates him anyway. It works for both parties. We will probably regret the move but it is what it is. The majority of fans are happy and I can think of that being the case just about never. It is time to start scouting a new college QB.

Whiz hates Leinart? I've never heard anything to substantiate that. That is a stupid ill-informed comment.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And then if he does get hurt or told to sit down, to keep Matt we have to redo a huge bonus to keep him. That to me seems hard to do, even though I think the kid can play.

Under the cap system:

KW: $11.5M
ML: $3.7M
Total: $15.2M
ML: $17.5M (approx: Salary + $15M - bonus
Total: $29M (approx)

*under this scenario the Cards would need to re-negotiate ML's deal to lower the cap hit, although the cap would probably be in excess of $130M in 2010

Uncapped - 2010

KW: $4M
ML: $17.5 (approx: Salary + $15M - bonus
Total: $21.5M (approx)

While for cap purposes KW's new deal is split 11.5/11.5, in reality he will have rec'd 19M of his contract this year ($15M bonus + $4M salary)

The Cards are likely to seek a re-negotiation with ML in the uncapped year, but it is not absolutely necessary. The real expenditure on your no. 1 and no. 2 QBs... increases a relatively modest $6.3M (approx)

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
One has to have two capable QBs and two capable backs to succeed incase of injury. Just because one starts over the other, that does not mean the other one sucks on a GOOD team. I think the Cardinals have a good team, that Superbowl was no fluke. Leinart knows as Warner, at the most that is just a two year contract and did not Cassel carry the clipboard for like four years and profitted from it. Contracts can be redone and the Cardinals could do so with Leinart preparing to take the reins when the Warner short contract expires and he retires. Leinart knows the system, might be groomed for the spot more than we know and once Warner got going...Leinart did not appear to be upset and for all purposes was a supportive teammate and happy to be with the team. Till things happen which would suggest otherwise, Leinart could still be our quarterback of the future and I think he is far from a bust and has a lot to offer and will hopefully mature and develope more being around someone like Warner
:thumbup:
Not only Cassel but Aaron Rogers as well held a clipboard for 4 yrs.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
IF that is the case.

I would take nothing but draft picks.

We would need to draft a QB and one of those picks could go towards one.

That and we would be one injury away from the BSP experiment.

Draft PICK, not plural. Rosenfels just went for a 4th rounder. I don't see us letting Matt go this year. There is no need to.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Under the cap system:

ML: $3.7M
Total: $15.2M
ML: $16M (approx: Salary + $15M - bonus
Total: $26.5M (approx)

*under this scenario the Cards would need to re-negotiate ML's deal to lower the cap hit, although the cap would probably be in excess of $130M in 2010

Uncapped - 2010

KW: $4M
ML: $16M (approx: Salary + $15M - bonus
Total: $20M (approx)

While for cap purposes KW's new deal is split 11.5/11.5, in reality he will have rec'd 19M of his contract this year ($15M bonus + $4M salary)

The Cards are likely to seek a re-negotiation with ML in the uncapped year, but it is not absolutely necessary. The real expenditure on your no. 1 and no. 2 QBs... increases a relatively modest $5M

Thats why Matt wont be here in 2010. He has the Cards by the testicles. To think he is gonna redo is naive. On top of that, chances that the front office can get creative enough to get a reworked contract is another. The only way Matt may redo his contract is if the coach and management gives him their promise he is the guy and Kurt is cut after this season. I like Kurt coming back, but this has put them a quite a dilema.

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Draft PICK, not plural. Rosenfels just went for a 4th rounder. I don't see us letting Matt go this year. There is no need to.

Keep Matt is years QB class stinks IMO.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thats why Matt wont be here in 2010. He has the Cards by the testicles. To think he is gonna redo is naive. On top of that, chances that the front office can get creative enough to get a reworked contract is another. The only way Matt may redo his contract is if the coach and management gives him their promise he is the guy and Kurt is cut after this season. I like Kurt coming back, but this has put them a quite a dilema.

Stop talking in absolutes. You have no better idea than anyone else as to how the Cards and Leinart's people are going to manage this developing situation.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You guys can keep Leinart....we will just use the number #10 pick to get Cutler....:rockon::D

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Warner said on Gambo and Ash that he expects Leinart to ask for a trade based on conversations they have had.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Stop talking in absolutes. You have no better idea than anyone else as to how the Cards and Leinart's people are going to manage this developing situation.

Watch!!! I've been saying it was coming to this for 2 years.