The Matt Leinart era "probably" ends

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want the Cards to keep Leinart here this season no matter how unhappy he may be. The decision on Leinart's future should be after the 2009 season, that decision will also involve Warner. Think about what I just wrote. It makes sense to pay and have Warner as a starter for 2009. At the end of the 2009 season the Cards can evaluate how both Warner & Leinart performed and make a financial decison for the 2010 season based on their performance.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leinart knew he would probably wait one more year to start. I predict he stays and starts by Week 12 next season and will guide the Cards in a nice playoff run. Leinart isn't going anywhere and WILL be the Cardinals starter in 2010.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Why do that? Who backs up Warner? St. Pierre? Has he ever even been in a game?

Matt has been in a few games and what has he shown? I don't understand these fans of a team that came so close to winning the super bowl wanting to change QB's because he once got hurt playing the game. Matt is more fragile and is very well payed for not playing. I say trade him now and keep our core.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why do that? Who backs up Warner? St. Pierre? Has he ever even been in a game?
He's thrown one pass in an NFL game in his entire career, and it was the greatest pass the sport has ever witnessed. Only problem is that it didn't connect.

LACardsJoe

Reaction score
Leinart knew he would probably wait one more year to start. I predict he stays and starts by Week 12 next season and will guide the Cards in a nice playoff run. Leinart isn't going anywhere and WILL be the Cardinals starter in 2010.

I believe Leinart has no choice in the matter. He will stay. One of the reason Warner wasn't guaranteed a second year in the first few offers was because of Warner's age. I bet they tell Leinart that if warner does not produce, he will take over the following season. I bet that is the story they tell him, take it to the bank, if yours is still afloat. If you noticed Warner's contract front loaded in the first year. You think it might be a compromise to give Kurt the money upfront instead of fully committing to the full 2 years? Something to ponder...

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I believe Leinart has no choice in the matter. He will stay. One of the reason Warner wasn't guaranteed a second year in the first few offers was because of Warner's age. I bet they tell Leinart that if warner does not produce, he will take over the following season. I bet that is the story they tell him, take it to the bank, if yours is still afloat. If you noticed Warner's contract front loaded in the first year. You think it might be a compromise to give Kurt the money upfront instead of fully committing to the full 2 years? Something to ponder...

Leinart does have a choice. When the Cards come to him to restructure that 15 mil he can refuse and force the Cards to essentially cut him or pay him. Granted the possibility of an uncapped year when Leinart's bonus comes due works in the Cards favor, if they feel like giving 15 mil to a backup QB. Warner's contract isn't really frontloaded for salary cap purposes, if he plays in 2010 he counts 11.5, if he's cut or injured he counts 7.5. I sure hope 2010 is uncapped and the Bidwills don't mind paying 15 mil to a backup. Either way contract negotiations for Leinart should be interesting to say the least.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Leinart does have a choice. When the Cards come to him to restructure that 15 mil he can refuse and force the Cards to essentially cut him or pay him. Granted the possibility of an uncapped year when Leinart's bonus comes due works in the Cards favor, if they feel like giving 15 mil to a backup QB. Warner's contract isn't really frontloaded for salary cap purposes, if he plays in 2010 he counts 11.5, if he's cut or injured he counts 7.5. I sure hope 2010 is uncapped and the Bidwills don't mind paying 15 mil to a backup. Either way contract negotiations for Leinart should be interesting to say the least.

Thanks hookem. I have been blasted ever since I started this thread. I'm still trying to figure why most think it's a given Leinart will do whats best for the team. Logic says the Cards aren't gonna just give Kurt $7.5 mil plus more $$$ to Matt for Kurt to walk away after 2009. If Kurt plays well this next season does the team let him go? I wouldn't think so. Why do you guys think Matt will restructure? I'm just trying to understand your thoughts.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's thrown one pass in an NFL game in his entire career, and it was the greatest pass the sport has ever witnessed. Only problem is that it didn't connect.

Not his fault the wide receiver dropped it. It was too hot to touch, as if it had burned through the atmosphere on its way to his arms. Which of course, it did.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Thanks hookem. I have been blasted ever since I started this thread. I'm still trying to figure why most think it's a given Leinart will do whats best for the team. Logic says the Cards aren't gonna just give Kurt $7.5 mil plus more $$$ to Matt for Kurt to walk away after 2009. If Kurt plays well this next season does the team let him go? I wouldn't think so. Why do you guys think Matt will restructure? I'm just trying to understand your thoughts.

Because you started a thread that stated the "Matt Leinart era is over" and now 7 pages later are saying "well whats going to happen when he has to restructure in 2010".....

Alot can happen in a year and anyone who trys to say what definitively is full of it. The point remians a REAL decision doesn't have to be made until next off season.

I have learned that speaking in absolutes and extremes on this board is going to cause a backlash no matter how strongly you feel about a subject. Your thread title was a little sensationalistic and reactionary so of course other posters are going to point to the facts.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
On top of everything that has been stated, there is always that possibility that Kurt retires at the end of the season, especially if we win the Superbowl.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there ever a Matt Leinart era in Arizona? Me thinks not.
Heck Josh McCown had more of an era than he did.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Are some of you guys serious? Wanting Pat effing White to be the QBOF? Seriously, he's not even that good a QB prospect. SMH.

And I've never understood why some of you are so quick to oust Leinart even though he played well in the times he got a chance to play. He's far from a scrub and lost the QB competition to Warner by the slimmest of margins. But then again, we have a growing cult touting the great BSP (who has never played a snap in the reg. season in his six year career) in the wings so we'll be fine when Warner falls off or gets injured. :rolleyes:

what he said

zuchini

Rookie
Reaction score
Warner will play one more year and retire. Leinart will start in 2010 - at 15 mill. No way he restructures.

He will pick up where Warner left off. Hopefully.

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Warner will play one more year and retire. Leinart will start in 2001 - at 15 mill. No way he restructures.

He will pick up where Warner left off. Hopefully.

Will the D-backs beat the Yankees in 2001 again?

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Which back-up QB or rookie coming out this year would you rather have than Matt?

Inquiring minds want to know.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Yesterday, those radio guys on KTAR were talking about how St. Pierre was told by Whis that "he would be allowed to compete for the back-up job."

I'm sure that pissed Matt off and made St. Pierre happy, but just sounds ridiculous to me.

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
It does sound more logical than Whis saying "just come into camp and do nothing. My mind is already made up and you playing well has absolutely no use so don't bother".

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Matt won't be the first nor the last QB to get his shot in his late 20's (see Rich Gannon, Trent Green, Steve Young and Kurt Warner)