The Murray Enigma

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There’s really no other way to characterize the Washington game other than regression. We saw Murray’s apparent emotional withdrawal instead of leadership. It was in unfortunate contrast to Daniels. Even when he was intercepted and the game’s outcome was still in doubt, Daniels was energized. The tough thing about scouting Murray years ago was he had such continual success that it was hard to judge how he’d handle setbacks. Sadly he went to a team that historically has more setbacks than steps forward. Many of us hoped that as Murray matured he would grow into a figure of leadership. So far we have to question his ability to handle adversity.

At this point I don’t see Murray changing dramatically. Couple in the fact that at least for 2025 Murray cannot be cut ($40 mil dead money even post 6/1). He could be traded (only $10 mil dead money post 6/1). The question is would anyone trade for a QB after 6/1 with that contract? Certainly the Cards would be lucky to get a second round pick with that contract size and the areas of concern, but I think somebody’s ego will assume they can fix him. Gannon did. That means riding out 2024 with Murray. Then picking a QB in 2025 or 2026. There’s likely no Daniels in either draft. In 2025 there’s Sanders & Ewers. I’m not a Beck fan. Sanders needs a great deal of technical development. The emotional component is hard to judge because he’s been playing for his dad. Ewers has the talent, but seems very injury prone. Additionally the Cards will need a high draft pick. I still think the Cards win 6 or 7 games this season and possibly more next season. Tanking again seems impossible. So ironically it seems the Cards may have to trade for a QB while trading away theirs if they choose to move on from Murray.

I see one other option. Forget the defensive problems for now. Build the best O-line imaginable. Part of that is bringing in leadership players on the line and maybe one at receiver. Look at the difference Hopkins made. With Harrison already here they can prioritize the leadership aspect. So a veteran who can still contribute would be a great fit. Murray still has an exceptional arm. He can still be elusive when on the run.

I mentioned in an earlier post about Petzing that he was the darling of 2025 coaching candidates. In an amazing, almost unprecedented turn, it’s questionable if he can even keep his current job. To say he seems frozen in his ability to respond to unexpected change is understatement. Football is a game of adjusting to opponent’s strategy changes. Teams shouldn’t easily abandon their game plans, but when it becomes clear that the plan cannot be executed; it’s time to change. Petzing seems lost on how to shift strategy. So keeping Murray means finding the right OC & a good QB coach. Teams have won without their QB being the main leader, but that’s challenging . However, I’d say Murray is a unique puzzle that might just work with this strategy. Murray’s Jekyll & Hyde performance has left the fans and the board hopeful one week crestfallen the next. This is not sustainable.

Possible immediate acquisitions to consider are Robert Woods from the Texans. Think 7th round conditional pick. Bringing Hopkins back wouldn’t be shocking. Cut Pascal. Also Titan Daniel Brunskill, center/guard, is another possible option. He’s versatile and has good leadership skills. He’s more likely the inside OL backup if re-signed, but he’s exceptional at being a guy who takes responsibility. He’s not a star but depth and leadership are desperately needed. I’d also check in on Humphries rehab.

The worst thing the Cards’ brass can do is bury their heads in the sand. One good game out of four should provide enough evidence the current theory of success should be changed. Most of us on the board were pleased Murray had more weapons. We were skeptical the O-line, especially its depth, would be adequate. Sadly the trade deadline looks unlikely to offer enough options to produce an outstanding O-line. With Jones due to return soon and Woods available, the Cards are in position to strengthen their receiver group. I think this season will be characterized by inconsistency. There will be some exciting moments, but overall success continues to be elusive.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm crestfallen and for the 1st time since NFL ticket came out i chose to not spend the money. $479 to watch a crap product, no thanks. I have redzone and get more Cardinals sucking from that.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The Murray experiment is done.
They’re not winning anything with him.

I didn’t like the draft pick but can see why they took the chance.
He does have talent but he’s not leading this team to a championship.

Hoping he does is like putting all your money on 00 in roulette. Sure there’s a chance but very unlikely.

I’m not blaming him for losses but he’s also not the guy making plays to win.

I think most fans can see that.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just want Kyler to play consistent good-to-great football.

I don’t like the black & white “He’s not leading this team to a championship” statement because in reality, none of these young current QBs has done that outside of Mahomes.

I just want him to be consistent. That’s all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Murray experiment is done.
They’re not winning anything with him.

I didn’t like the draft pick but can see why they took the chance.
He does have talent but he’s not leading this team to a championship.

Hoping he does is like putting all your money on 00 in roulette. Sure there’s a chance but very unlikely.

I’m not blaming him for losses but he’s also not the guy making plays to win.

I think most fans can see that.
Again, well put. Although with a caveat… after seeing The Rosen One play more like The Roasted One, I was in for a big swing with Kyler. Wasn’t calling him generational or throwing around any of those hyperbolic terms. Truthfully, didn’t know what the hell we’d get from him, but he had huge upside at the time and Rosen was atrocious.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want Kyler to play consistent good-to-great football.

I don’t like the black & white “He’s not leading this team to a championship” statement because in reality, none of these young current QBs has done that outside of Mahomes.

I just want him to be consistent. That’s all.

Yep, Kyler needs more consistency that is for sure. For me Kyler has until the end of the season to prove that he can consistently lead this team. If not, then the Cardinals could easily cut him and absorb his cap hit next year. That would be the worst case scenario as the Cardinals would be forced to start from scratch at QB, and as Harry mentioned, there isn't a good QB coming out of the draft next season.

Also I'm surprised that so many people are ready to anoint Daniels after just 4 games. In 4 games the kid only has 3 TD passes so far and is averaging 225 passing yards per game. One of those TD passes was a trick Tackle Eligible play to a lineman. Sure he can run the ball, but I haven't seen enough to say this kid is the next CJ Stroud.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, Kyler needs more consistency that is for sure. For me Kyler has until the end of the season to prove that he can consistently lead this team. If not, then the Cardinals could easily cut him and absorb his cap hit next year. That would be the worst case scenario as the Cardinals would be forced to start from scratch at QB, and as Harry mentioned, there isn't a good QB coming out of the draft next season.

Also I'm surprised that so many people are ready to anoint Daniels after just 4 games. In 4 games the kid only has 3 TD passes so far and is averaging 225 passing yards per game. One of those TD passes was a trick Tackle Eligible play to a lineman. Sure he can run the ball, but I haven't seen enough to say this kid is the next CJ Stroud.
“can consistently lead the team” is a phrase tossed around but never quantified. How do you define that? He has rarely consistently played nor has he consistently led the team.

Understand I am not calling you out on your phrasing but rather want to know what we are actually striving for

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
“can consistently lead the team” is a phrase tossed around but never quantified. How do you define that? He has rarely consistently played nor has he consistently led the team.

Understand I am not calling you out on your phrasing but rather want to know what we are actually striving for

Can he run the offense at a consistent level is what I'm trying to say. Through 4 games it's been a roller coaster on offense. Some of that is not on Kyler, but a bunch of it is. He needs to be able to elevate the players around him on a consistent basis.

602 Native

Veteran
Reaction score
“The Cards need to be consistent.”

We are consistent.

Consistently bad
Consistently unprepared
Consistently not consistent
Consistently talent deficient
Consistently getting out played
Consistently rearranging the deck chairs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake