The Offensive Line Problem

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Loney still has to come in here and prove himself as a coach. This line has no where to go but up so he should be able to do something with these players. The fact is the line was improving with Wylie at coach but Green fired him and put a lesser coach in his place. The result was the line regressed. So Green still has a lot of proving to do when it comes to the O line. He's done a lot of shuffling with not much to show for it. The Milford Brown signing puzzles me as I don't see what the coaches see in him. He looks like another Ross signing to me.

Time will tell. I'm all for giving Loney his chance but the Milford Brown signing makes me wonder.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I have no problem wanting to bring in players for depth, but when you're talking about bringing in guys to start (which is what most of the JeffG, Shane H, Mitch lynch mob is talking about), then I have a problem. Guys were playing lazy last year. The depth stunk; I think we can all agree on that, but we do have the talent at the top of the depth chart to compete.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I have no problem wanting to bring in players for depth, but when you're talking about bringing in guys to start (which is what most of the JeffG, Shane H, Mitch lynch mob is talking about), then I have a problem. Guys were playing lazy last year. The depth stunk; I think we can all agree on that, but we do have the talent at the top of the depth chart to compete.

In the final analysis, I hope you are right. The problem is that the same arguement could have been put forward last year and the results were not pretty.

The one wild card in regards to the running game that doesn't seem to be discussed is the potential improvement of the line by the addition of a better running back. There is a better than even chance that the line was made to look worse than it really was because, plain & simply, Arrington & Shipp sucked. When that was combined with poor coaching & injuries, bad things happened.

The existing line from last year could be better, just with the addition of James. But many of of want to increase the odds for success by adding additional personel. Call it insurance.

The Shark

War Birds

Veteran
Reaction score
great post mitch.... very well put. I have a brother that lives in Minnesota, who told me that Steve Loney is an excellent offensive line coach. He also said Minnesota tried to use him as the offensive coordinator for a while and he couldnt produce. Nevertheless he said his line coaching skills were spectacular....Everyone thats reading this needs to understand that the Cardinals o-line coach last year was a guy who got cut and Denny just kept around....he had no previous coaching experience and obviously did a very poor job...Quite frankly i am still very pi*ssed about us going into the season last year with him as our line coach...Anyways I have 4 cards games tivo'd which i have re-played all of them a couple times each. Half the time the problem with our line is that they did not know which guys to block. If Steve Loney can bring a little organization to this line then i think we will see a vast improvement with our play. WATCH!

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

I guess I am one the lynch mob members then. All I want is for this team to bring in quality palyers to fight for a position on this team. Having a converted DE and players that would not even be on other teams rosters is what I dont want to see on this team. We need to bring in 1-2 FA and let them go at it. Best man wins, you lose and your the back-up or your cut.
Plain and simple.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
In the final analysis, I hope you are right. The problem is that the same arguement could have been put forward last year and the results were not pretty.

The one wild card in regards to the running game that doesn't seem to be discussed is the potential improvement of the line by the addition of a better running back. There is a better than even chance that the line was made to look worse than it really was because, plain & simply, Arrington & Shipp sucked. When that was combined with poor coaching & injuries, bad things happened.

The existing line from last year could be better, just with the addition of James. But many of of want to increase the odds for success by adding additional personel. Call it insurance.

The Shark
Last season when we replaced 2/5 of the starters on the offensive line, and had a revolving door at the center position? How is that anything like keeping 5 starters in place. How did wholesale changes work out the last two seasons? With some continuity in Green's first season, the Cards were merely embarassing rushing the ball, not horrifying.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I know the problem for our OL. It all comes from one thing and one thing only. It isnt talent, coaching, or scheme. It is really very simple.

Our OL problem is DT's and DE's. If they would just stop trying to tackle our RB and QB we would be set.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
LOL...ok.

Do you have any proof that your opinion is right and my opinion is wrong?

I actually agree with you in that from what i saw with warner last year when protected, was a stellar passer. I would rather have him than Hasselbeck but i'm not sure if thats my bias against Hasselbeck ( im not a fan) and my love the cardinals jading that opinion.

Ouchie holds the trump card in terms of recent history, although obviously Warner is much more accomplished. It just comes down to wether you think Warner is that far removed from 2002. I dont think hes as good as he was but i think i was very impressed from what i saw from him last year....

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
I'd like to see us get a bunch of guys who can actually block as one straight line instead of 5 tangents. I swear most of the time our OLine looked like everyone of them heard a different line call.

No sh*#!!