Pam: "Well, how many ways of sniffling are there?"
Dwight: "Three."
Pam: "It was the second kind."
Dwight: "Thanks, excellent."

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think I should buy the first season on dvd. This is exactly my kind of humor!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
krepitch said:
I think I should buy the first season on dvd. This is exactly my kind of humor!

It's cheap, and only like 6 episodes...it's worth it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
English on tour said:
did you guys watch the original - Ricky Gervais absolute class!

the showed your version over here (same jokes etc.) but was still very well done - funny stuff!
Hey English, I loved the BBC version! That's what's ruined the US version for me. Gervais' understated super-ego was fantastic. The guy who plays the US office manager is such a hack. There's noone like that super skinny blonde chap on this show. Yeah there's the office weasel, but he's nothing compared to the BBC version! :)

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Hey English, I loved the BBC version! That's what's ruined the US version for me. Gervais' understated super-ego was fantastic. The guy who plays the US office manager is such a hack. There's noone like that super skinny blonde chap on this show. Yeah there's the office weasel, but he's nothing compared to the BBC version! :)

BAH! Give it a chance...it's good on it's own, you can have both...no need to have the US be a carbon copy, or why do it?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
BAH! Give it a chance...it's good on it's own, you can have both...no need to have the US be a carbon copy, or why do it?
No, it doesn't have to be a carbon copy. We Americans shouldn't have to be so smug to think our version is better when it's clearly not. I bet 99% of the people who watch it even know it's ripped off from the BBC. I'm just hyping it here so that members can get a chance to see it on DVD, or wherever. That it's worth it if they get a chance to see it. :)

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
No, it doesn't have to be a carbon copy. We Americans shouldn't have to be so smug to think our version is better when it's clearly not. I bet 99% of the people who watch it even know it's ripped off from the BBC. I'm just hyping it here so that members can get a chance to see it on DVD, or wherever. That it's worth it if they get a chance to see it. :)

It's not RIPPED off man, Ricky Gervase is one of the creators, or producers or something...

And we're not smug, I like both versions...doesn't mean since the BBC one was first, that I have to think it's the best or I'm a smug American.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
exactly, both are good on their own accord and most people probably do know the british one came first (figuring how it was up for all sorts of awards and such)

i like both and am glad that they are adapted to their particular cultures as someone who has lived both here and england

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
exactly, both are good on their own accord and most people probably do know the british one came first (figuring how it was up for all sorts of awards and such)

i like both and am glad that they are adapted to their particular cultures as someone who has lived both here and england
I work with some pretty astute people, and I asked 20 of them yesterday who said they watch it, if they knew it came from the BBC as a show of the same name. Twenty "I didn't know thats later...."

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I work with some pretty astute people, and I asked 20 of them yesterday who said they watch it, if they knew it came from the BBC as a show of the same name. Twenty "I didn't know thats later...."

But the interesting part is that 20 people from your work watch it :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What's interesting is, if you can get twenty people from my work place to watch something, that's the show that usually gets cancelled. No lie. :(

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yuma said:
What's interesting is, if you can get twenty people from my work place to watch something, that's the show that usually gets cancelled. No lie. :(

Well "The Office" has been picked up for a full third season by NBC, so it hasn't been taken down by your work place curse yet.

BTW I have seen both versions and they are both great in their own ways. Enjoying the US version doesn't mean you don't have to like the UK version and vice versa. One thing I do like in the US version more than the UK version is the way they have fleshed out the other office workers. They were a little too backgroundy in the UK.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
Azlen said:
Well "The Office" has been picked up for a full third season by NBC, so it hasn't been taken down by your work place curse yet.

BTW I have seen both versions and they are both great in their own ways. Enjoying the US version doesn't mean you don't have to like the UK version and vice versa. One thing I do like in the US version more than the UK version is the way they have fleshed out the other office workers. They were a little too backgroundy in the UK.

agreed. the british version was brilliant in its ability to make every situation the most uncomfortable it could be, but still keep it funny. also, they were very focused on david brent being the center of the comedy. i think they made the right decision in stopping after two seasons, though. they left on a high note. the american version is not trying to be like the british version, they're not trying to be as uncomfortable. if they were trying for that, i doubt they would do it as well. and, as azlen said, in the american version, more of the comedy is shoulder by the other characters.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let's get back to why this show rules...

"Does it smell like updog in here?" hahahahah

What a great opening scene...

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Michael: Like that time Packer put that guys head in the toilet for like a minute. That was funny. The guy didn't have a sense of humor about it though. That's why he didn't get hired.

:lol:

Last night's show was one of the funniest I've seen all year. That comment had me rolling.

"Did any one see a package that was left in the middle of my office?"

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Louis said:
Last night's show was one of the funniest I've seen all year. That comment had me rolling.

"Did any one see a package that was left in the middle of my office?"
I thought it had it's moments, but overall I didn't think it was up to par.

"You know, I'd have given my kidney for these people before today. ...

But now? No. Go get yourself a monkey organ."

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While this ep was funny, the best thus far was the christmas party episode. That was a hilarious 30 minutes.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
While this ep was funny, the best thus far was the christmas party episode. That was a hilarious 30 minutes.

We kept the x-mas one on Tivo for a long time, and I think we watched it like 10 times, it was so hilarious...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show continues to make me laugh more and more each week.

BTW, I am Jim. :(

A-Bomb

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You fans of the show will appreciate this...

We loved the Christmas episode this season, I think it's probably my favorite of any episode. One of the parts that made us laugh was Kevin buying himself the footbath, and then thinking to himself he should have taken the Ipod....and just the way he said it was hilarious.

So it's my birthday and I have this big box sitting there from my wife.

I open it up and I'm like WTH, it's a footbath...and as I am looking at it, my wife is all "Shoot...maybe I should have gotten you the Ipoooood" just like Kevin said it, lol.

So she pulls out another present and it's a video Ipod I wanted :)

It was freaking hilarious :) My wife owns...

Mike

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
That is awesome. I would have been laughing way too hard to say the joke. Good for your wife! :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Office Gets an Extra Episode
Source: NBC
February 14, 2006

NBC has extended its spring lease on The Office (Thursdays, 9:30-10 p.m. ET) through May 11 as the network will add an extra original episode plus other encore broadcasts that will now take the hit comedy past its previously announced season finale of March 30.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser