The Official Anti Danny Bautista Rant Thread!

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we're only one game into the season and it is too premature to reserve or pass judgment, however, what has Danny Bautista ever done to be guaranteed the starting RF?

True, he's anointed as the starting RF out of default since the Dbacks don't have any other options (well Chad Tracy deserves an opportunity) and that Bautista is earning $1 mil+ for this season....Why did Jerry C. and Co. sign him to that long-term deal to begin with? True, he had one impressive stretch during the '01 post season, but does a small "sample size" really merit anyone to be privy of such a contract? Reggie Sanders should have been retained, however, we all know the dispute that Sanders had with Brenly during the WS that prevented the Dbacks in doing so....

I have followed Danny Bautista's career since he initally came through the Tigers farm-system in the early 90s and he was "loosely" dubbed as that "5-tool player" but never lived up to that potential.... I still believe he has some uncompromising photos of the Dbacks brass and that's why he's easily handed the starting job....I wonder if he'd improve if he actually had some "true" competition for once...Would that stop him from becoming too complacent?

He's a very streaky hitter who whenever he does well promptly gets injured and misses several months at a time.... Since he's constantly hampered by injuries, it has restricted his speed on the basepaths.... He lacks an adequate arm and also defensively...Does anyone else cringe whenever theres a fly-ball and him and another player are both converging on the ball...that you're afraid he'll do one of his typical collisions? It seems he lacks every kind of baseball instinct that there is....

I just hope that Danny Bautista can actually prove me wrong, but it seems that's more unlikely and I hope the Dbacks come to their senses soon and finally end their experiment with him....What's their obsession with him? Are there actually any positives about him? I dont think so!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is one positive. This is the last year on his contract. I agree though. In the 2002 season, before he got hurt, he was putting up good stats. Then for whatever reason, he hasnt regained his form since. Really no explanation for it. No one seems to know why.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He is a streaky hitter. Had a streak during the WS adn then had that good start before he got hurt in 2002. I just don't think his career stats show that he is that good. I expect another Right Fielder by the end of May.

Az240z

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SameOleGee said:
There is one positive. This is the last year on his contract. I agree though. In the 2002 season, before he got hurt, he was putting up good stats. Then for whatever reason, he hasnt regained his form since. Really no explanation for it. No one seems to know why.
Yeah....perhaps this scenario may happen (I hope not to a certain extent).... Let's say he actually has an impressive year (knowing that it's his contract year) and suddenly that causes Jerry C. and Co to immediately sign him to another long-term deal....If that happens, I bet he'll revert back to his "former self" and again the Dbacks wasted much needed money and a roster spot for him.....

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az240zz said:
He is a streaky hitter. Had a streak during the WS adn then had that good start before he got hurt in 2002. I just don't think his career stats show that he is that good. I expect another Right Fielder by the end of May.

Az240z
I won't be shocked that Bautista will be on the DL sometime in May anyways and then the Dbacks may either recall Chad Tracy (or Luis Tererro) or just go outside the organization for his replacement.....

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Look for a good year from Bautista. He came on strong at the end of last year. He's an above average defender, and a good gap/line drive hitter.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
green machine said:
Look for a good year from Bautista. He came on strong at the end of last year. He's an above average defender, and a good gap/line drive hitter.
The drawback is....He does everything in spurts....To reiterate what I typed earlier, if he does actually put together a complete above-average year, I just hope the Dbacks dont immediately offer him a contract extension based on a "small sample size".....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he didn't have that fantastic start to the 2002 season he wouldn't even be on the team. I have never been sold on Danny Bautista

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that Bautista lacks motivation? Is he too complacent for his own good?

If I were Brenly, I would bench Bautista (if he gets off to a horrid start) and insert Sadler in as the starting RF....If that's not enough of a "wake-up" call, then they must demote him down to Tucson and recall someone who is more deserving of a roster spot and that is Chad Tracy....

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice catch yesterday against the Cards.

Scored a run today against the Rocks.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NickelBack said:

Just bobbled the ball in RF allowing tying run to get into scoring position

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:

Yeah, I was at yesterday's game and really was stunned on how well Bautista performed, however, we obviously know that (as AZCB34 aptly pointed out) Bautista's "blunder" started the Dbacks sudden implosion today...

I just wonder if it's completely psychological as to why he cant perform at an average (to above average) level on a consistant basis...That again I'll reiterate that he's become too complacent out there and they must bench him in favor of someone else soon or he'll continue to flounder....

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Anyone notice he has a 6 game hit streak? (If my stats are right)..

I don't like Danny myself, but at least he's hitting, for now at least.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
Hitting streak?
I hope this attempt at posting something finally works....

I was trying to respond back to another thread and posted how I'm absolutely elated that Bautista is proving me wrong and I hope he continues to do so...

It seems whenever I lambast a player, he immediately begins to turn it up a notch... Who should I target next? :D

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
I hope this attempt at posting something finally works....

I was trying to respond back to another thread and posted how I'm absolutely elated that Bautista is proving me wrong and I hope he continues to do so...

It seems whenever I lambast a player, he immediately begins to turn it up a notch... Who should I target next? :D

Dessens? :thumbup:

Capt'nCard

Veteran
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
Hitting streak?
Danny's hitting streak is up to 12 with 3 hits yesterday.......He's been the only guy hitting lately. I say move him up in front of Shea, get him some more at bats before he cools down.......

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Capt'nCard said:
Danny's hitting streak is up to 12 with 3 hits yesterday.......He's been the only guy hitting lately. I say move him up in front of Shea, get him some more at bats before he cools down.......

Better yet, move Tracy into Shea's spot altogether!!! I really don't know what kind of defense Tracy provides, but I'm pretty sure his bat will be much better!

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh wow...Bautista just hit a 3-run HR..... I'll just say that I'm enjoying his recent surge and that he can continue this....

I guess my next thread will bash Dessens (as Phill11 suggested)..... :D

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Capt'nCard said:
I don't think Danny has been a streak hitter since joining the D'backs. It was the injury that screwed him up.

He may not maintain a batting average closer to .400 than .300, but he should be a steady bat in the outfield throughout the season.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Louie, can you please start offically ranting against the entire damn team??? Tonight was horrible.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Louie, can you please start offically ranting against the entire damn team??? Tonight was horrible.
Deal! :thumbup:

I should first start w/Dessens....I'll post the official Dessens rant thread tomorrow..... :D

AZZenny

Reaction score
OK, but let's not let this useful thread die! I've been waiting since May of 2002 for Bautista to prove my premature praise of his bat and his arm was right, I had finally given up completely, and NOW he makes me look disloyal! LOL. He darn well better keep it up.