The official Dirk is a Punk thread!

mavs

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Michael said:
Dirk seems to be a great bloke. In all the interviews he looks so natural. Not any kind of superstar attitude.

Dirk as a player: Its annoying to see his constant travelling - but like somebody said before: Not his fault.
Other than that he's a heck of a player and I wouldn't mind to see him on the Suns roster.

and somehow PHX fans turn a blind eye to Diaw's constant traveling...

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mavs said:

LOL KLL must be banning people because this wasn't me.

I haven't noticed Diaw travelling at all. I will pay more attention to it next time, but Diaw strengths are his amazing agility so he can do some crazy moves in the post.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
greensborohill said:
Doesn't he play with Shaq?

Who does Dirk play with that is remotely close to Shaq level?

Dirk = MVP

Yes he plays with a very old (well basketball wise) Shaq. Thats not exactly saying much.

Fearless1J418

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dirk vs Wade

Card Trader said:
Dwayne Wade.

Very well, Ill bite.

ppg Dirk 28.4, Wade 27.3

fg% 51.0, 51.3

reb 12.4, 5.4

asst. 3.1, 6.3

TURNOVERS 2.2, 4.0

FT: Dirk - 9.1/10.1= 89.4% Wade 8.3/9.9=83.8

Stl/blk Dirk 1.1/.5, Wade 2.1/1.1

I see where Wade has a couple of advantages, but even the stats favor Dirk. However, Wade's 2nd fiddle is outscoring Dirk's 2nd fiddle as well.

Hate on Dirk all you want, but he is the MVP of the playoffs so far. Any claim otherwise is just petty bitterness.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
mavs said:

Diaw has gotten away with a few travels, but he doesn't do it as much as Dirk. I think people confuse long strides to the basket with traveling (this is the case with both these players). I also don't think the Dallas crowd truly understands what traveling is because I heard them moan several times the other night when they thought someone had traveled, and in fact they had not.

Dirk frequently travels when he first catches the ball and/or starts his drives. Shawn Marion does the same thing, but he seems to get called more for it. He also doesn't have as many opportunities to travel as Dirk.

Overall these three games have been called pretty evenly. I've said several times already that I thought the referees missed a lot of obvious travels on both sides the court Sunday evening.

Lastly, I would agree that Dirk has been the playoff MVP so far. If you want the MVP of the conference finals that would be a close call though. I might even go with Wade. He is shooting an amazing 70% against the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern conference finals.

The Mavericks are playing good basketball, especially in the second half of Game 3, but let's face it. They should be beating this Phoenix Suns team. Take a look at what the Suns are working with right now.

Joe

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hate on Dirk all you want, but he is the MVP of the playoffs so far. Any claim otherwise is just petty bitterness.

Okay, I'll bite. Why is Nash disqualified?

Techsan

Reaction score
The Punk

Is D'Antoni, he looks like a punk, acts like a punk, and quacks like a punk.

Dirk is just giving you back what you give. To see punk behavior see Thomas.

nowagimp

Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I hate the illegal things he's allowed to do on the court by the refs. I don't hate Dirk as a person or a player. He's taking advantage of the officiating and it's killing us so far.

Superstars get calls or non-calls, its not just Dirk(well, Nash doesnt get very many for a superstar). Ben Wallace went over the back against cleveland all the time, even in the crunch to avoid elimination and I cant recall one over the back call. Dirk is not even the one the suns have been most beaten by, that would be Josh Howard who can create his own shot better against LB (or Boris) driving to the hoop, than Dirk can against Marion. The absence of Raja leaves Josh Howard with a mismatch every time. The suns look tired in the second half, just like last years finals it was bound to happen sooner or later. Stupid journalists can't figure out that playing small and 6 deep(7th man, House is a huge defensive liability) will eventually wear them OUT against a team playing 9-10 deep. NO steals in game 3 means NO energy. To everyone who thinks depth doesnt matter, the Mavs are playing 9-10 deep against the suns and the Heat are playing 9 deep against the pistons, and its working on both counts. To those who think that its Dirk, keep looking in those Kaleidoscope Dirk glasses, you're delusional, its depth.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Remind me, in which games of this series have the Mavericks used more than eight players for more than a minute or two?

nowagimp

Reaction score
Lastly said:
Wade has been easily the MVP of the playoffs, so far. The Mavs have been winning with different matchups, not with Dirk only. With hot shooting and strong defense Wade has been an animal. The Mavs probably cant even beat the suns without Josh Howard. This was my arguement against the Dirk MVP candidacy, without Josh Howard they would struggle to beat even the injury ravaged suns. Josh Howard is their best defender, on ball and help, and the best player off the dribble against the suns.

nowagimp

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Remind me, in which games of this series have the Mavericks used more than eight players for more than a minute or two?

Remind yourself, I dont have the time for it. If you cant see that the Mavs are playing at least 8 deep with more than 10 mins each, you need to do a little investigating. I know youre one of the ones who thinks that only the starting 5 matter, and no one gets tired right? Just like you said in the Lakers series, no one gets tired. I guess you need to play something other than a keyboard to understand how a professional basketball player might get tired.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Anyone that can hum the song "Looking for Freedom" by David Hasselhoff - can't be classified as a punk.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If you cant see that the Mavs are playing at least 8 deep with more than 10 mins each, you need to do a little investigating.

LOL. First you say 9-10, now you say "at least 8." Nice bait-and-switch.

Game 1: Eight Mavericks played at least 14 minutes. Armstrong played 7 1/2 and Howard played 6 before leaving with his injury. This is the only game in which the Mavericks played deep -- and it's the only one they've lost.

Game 2: Eight Mavericks played at least 12 minutes (while seven Suns played at least 14). Daniels played 1 1/2.

Game 3: Eight Mavericks played at least 10 minutes; seven Suns played at least 12.

Now of course, an eight-player rotation is deeper than a seven-player one. But the difference in depth is not nearly as much as people are making it out to be.