The Official Discuss Coach D'Antoni Thread

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I think the Giracek acquisition shows is that D'Antoni isn't afraid to use his bench as long as he can get semi-consistent production out of it. Frankly, as much as we all wanted it to be so, that just wasn't going to happen with DJ at all. Skinner was there for a stretch, but he had an awful January and it cost him dearly.
semi consistent production on offense. :p

lacking semi consistent defense not a problem. :p

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With the SUNS recent resurgence you've got to give D'Antoni some credit for adjusting his philosophy and willingness to change it to a slightly more deliberate, inside-out style. Going to Shaq early until opponents sag off of Stat, Hill is working nicely.Nash has adjusted and responded also by sacrificing some of his playmaking by using his 3 point shot as a weapon.
I (and many others) have ripped on DA in the past for his stubbornness,ignorance of defense, and belief in smallball and it was well deserved criticism IMO.
However, i'm willing to give credit where it's due also. You will never be able to convince me that Mike was in favor of trading Marion for Shaq(watch the press-conference closely) but DA has seemingly put his ego in his pocket as of late by running a more efficient offense,going deeper into his bench, and more impressive, coaching thru a difficult mid-season transition with the Shaq trade.
I believe that at this point the SUNS are set up nicely for another title run but the "X Factor" IMO will be D'Antonis maturation as a head coach in the playoffs where coaching becomes much more magnified in a seven game series.
Hopefully this recent stretch of success from Mike will translate into his poise and decision making during tough times that lie ahead.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
haven't seen the past games of the suns,

is shaq really going to the post early in the game?
The idea (i think)is to get Shaq involved early and work on getting the other teams bigs in some foul trouble. It also gets the opposition in the penalty quickly to start the Amare Stoudemire parade to the free throw line.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the SUNS recent resurgence you've got to give D'Antoni some credit for adjusting his philosophy and willingness to change it to a slightly more deliberate, inside-out style. Going to Shaq early until opponents sag off of Stat, Hill is working nicely.Nash has adjusted and responded also by sacrificing some of his playmaking by using his 3 point shot as a weapon.
I (and many others) have ripped on DA in the past for his stubbornness,ignorance of defense, and belief in smallball and it was well deserved criticism IMO.
However, i'm willing to give credit where it's due also. You will never be able to convince me that Mike was in favor of trading Marion for Shaq(watch the press-conference closely) but DA has seemingly put his ego in his pocket as of late by running a more efficient offense,going deeper into his bench, and more impressive, coaching thru a difficult mid-season transition with the Shaq trade.
I believe that at this point the SUNS are set up nicely for another title run but the "X Factor" IMO will be D'Antonis maturation as a head coach in the playoffs where coaching becomes much more magnified in a seven game series.
Hopefully this recent stretch of success from Mike will translate into his poise and decision making during tough times that lie ahead.

I agree with much of what you said. However, something tells me that this had more to do with the flames under D'Antoni's seat getting hotter and hotter. If this thing blew up I think he loses his job.

I doubt that if this was 2 years ago, D'Antoni does anything. I think he was feeling the heat and was in essence forced to make some changed in his system and playbook. Let's not forget that it took him 2 weeks to even put in a play for Shaq, which tells me he didn't want to change things up at first. If I had seen Shaq playing at the top of the key (a la Kurt or Amare) one more game I was going to puke.

However, I have to say that I was really disappointed in the Pistons game. D'Antoni fell into old habits and didn't play Skinner when Shaq went to the bench. That left Amare on an island playing Sheed way to much.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
(Just watched the Pistons game tonight)
Wow. Mike D comes out with a 2-3 zone against the Pistons. I thought it was brilliant. It made the Pistons think and they clearly weren't ready for it. I've heard some mutterings on the board from a couple that thought it was a disaster but i disagree. The Pistons eventually found some cracks but the SUNS were able to keep it close the whole way. I'll tell you this...at least D'Antoni decided to change it up after getting blasted on defense the last time we faced Detroit.

SUNSWIN

Reaction score
You are giving up 17 offensive rebounds and about 20 extra shot attempts. You would figure he would try go get someone in to help with rebounding.
He did put someone in to help with rebounding Diaw at Center LOL.
With Hill at PF and Bell/Barbosa who have done NOTHING all night.
Why do you stick with Hill, Bell and Barbosa for that long, when they have been awful all night long????
Wouldn't you go with someone off the bench or put Diaw at SF to help out with rebounding and defense????
D'antoni don't know what the heck he is doing........

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
You are giving up 17 offensive rebounds and about 20 extra shot attempts. You would figure he would try go get someone in to help with rebounding.
He did put someone in to help with rebounding Diaw at Center LOL.
With Hill at PF and Bell/Barbosa who have done NOTHING all night.
Why do you stick with Hill, Bell and Barbosa for that long, when they have been awful all night long????
Wouldn't you go with someone off the bench or put Diaw at SF to help out with rebounding and defense????
D'antoni don't know what the heck he is doing........

Andrew?