The Official Discuss Coach D'Antoni Thread

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Proof that PJ is an average coach: radmonivic cant drive tot he hoop and doesnt know how to play defense. NOT!

Amare's strength and quickness gives him the fundamental athletic basis to be a good defensive player. Radman not so much.

The biggest indicator of D'Antoni's awfulness is his inability to execute without Nash and our woeful inconsistency. Not to mention he's shortening Nash's career by driving him into the ground in his ball dominating system.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
You are likely not even qualified to evaluate DA's offensive capabilities as an NBA coach. When the suns hold the celtics to 75 points it "wasnt good defense", they just missed the shots. Well then I guess KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce suck. The Twolves beat the Jazz, the celtics lose to the wiz, the champion spurs lose to the kings, grizzlies and sonics.

Suns fans, are a bunch of whiners when the team plays inconsistently, its sickening. The NBA is a crapshoot with injuries and to some extent scheduling(back to backs) and adding new pieces. And then there are the egos of overpaid athletes. If it was so easy as just play good defense, the hornets wouldnt blow out the spurs by 25 either.

bravo .. i agree i've never seen a bigger bunch of whiners in my life.. besides maybe new york giants fans..

its so sickening i'm prob. gonna stop coming to this board..

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Amare's strength and quickness gives him the fundamental athletic basis to be a good defensive player. Radman not so much.

The biggest indicator of D'Antoni's awfulness is his inability to execute without Nash and our woeful inconsistency. Not to mention he's shortening Nash's career by driving him into the ground in his ball dominating system.

Exactly, if D'Antoni is such an "offensive genius", why does the team struggle when Nash is on the bench?

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
bravo .. i agree i've never seen a bigger bunch of whiners in my life.. besides maybe new york giants fans..

Nobody is whining, some just believe that our coach is limiting the potential of this team. I'm still on the ship and am not going to jump off unless we do horrible over the next stretch of games (Sixers-Blazers-Nuggets).

The biggest problem I have with D'Antoni is his refusal to bend his system to fit his players. Shaq is not going to do anything positive in the high post. Put him where he belongs.

I'm starting to think that "D'Antoni pushed for the Shaq trade" was a bunch of BS. There was an article last year when a reporter asked D'Antoni about post up plays/players. I don't remember what he said exactly, but it was negative and something along the lines of "slows the game down, goes against what we do".

I think the Shaq trade was forced upon him and now he's saying "F U, I'm still going to run my system and if Shaq can't fit in, too bad"

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
There was an article last year when a reporter asked D'Antoni about post up plays/players. I don't remember what he said exactly, but it was negative and something along the lines of "slows the game down, goes against what we do".

I dont know about this, but Diaw did a ton of post up plays in 06 and actually he still does when Amare and Shaq is not on the floor.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last I checked Dantoni doesn't shoot the ball, when Nash goes to the bench and we start firing up jumpers and all of a sudden can't make them, thats on the players shooting them not DA. Suns fans are a bunch of winers and need to chill out and let the team incorporate Shaq and gel for a freakin month. After a month if we don't see signifigant improvement then we have some room for debate. Right now we don't know what the hell we got and thats not entirely on DA.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Oh I didnt know that you tivo games, that certainly qualifies you. I'll bet you might be able to coach in the NBA.

Nowagimp - Please tell me how your are qualified to in your opinions and/or observations? I assume you are on the Suns coaching staff?

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score

How is this come off as whining? I am making a statement and would like people to debate that opinion. Not attack me personally. If you disagree, please tell me why. If you agree, please tell me why?

Name calling doesn't do anything more than show you can't debate points due to lack of commitment on your end.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread and all pointless bitching like it belongs in the official "Hate on Mike D'Antoni" thread.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
This thread and all pointless bitching like it belongs in the official "Hate on Mike D'Antoni" thread.

Chris, I don't 'Hate' the coach. I dislike his coaching philosophy. Mike seems to be a nice guy... just stubborn.

If there are some that believe he is an offensive genius, please show me how. I did once see an observation that other teams are running his system. Please explain that further. If that is true, I would love to see who it is.

Thanks for your participation.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There I stickied it so you know exactly where to bitch about D'Antoni at.

We don't need new threads on old hat.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Chris, this is why so many believe we have soft teams in the Valley. Too many feelings are hurt when criticism is voiced. It doesn't mean you hate the team, but rather, your feel some areas need to be addressed.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, this is why so many believe we have soft teams in the Valley. Too many feelings are hurt when criticism is voiced. It doesn't mean you hate the team, but rather, your feel some areas need to be addressed.

People have been using this board to repeatedly bitch about the coach for two years now. Here is where you can do it. End of story. Those of you who want to rehash the same stuff over and over are welcome to it.

Most simply are worn out by it.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
How is this come off as whining? I am making a statement and would like people to debate that opinion. Not attack me personally. If you disagree, please tell me why. If you agree, please tell me why?

Name calling doesn't do anything more than show you can't debate points due to lack of commitment on your end.

your signature says alot..

i should prob. bump a few threads back when coach got coach of the year..

it isn't hard to see the team isn't playing to their capabilities right now.. everyones shot is cold their making bad decisions .. they look lethargic out there..

they'll start clicking.. you all give up too quick..

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an effort to not be so heavy handed I have changed the thread name to be "Discuss Coach D'Antoni" over Complain about D'Antoni.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would like to know that at what point will the DA apologists decide that the lack of fundemental's and at times complete lack of offensive execution witnessed here becomes an issue that point's towards the head coach?
-Does anybody on this team know how to set a simple pick?
Watch the effort & technique put forth in the paint when the SUNS are trying to run their half-court offense & free up a shooter.
Watch Nash get absolutely mugged just trying to advance the ball from back-court to the front-court to try to get into our offense.
-Is it just me?.....or is that weave play Mike runs(at least twice) the moment Shaq sits an awful mess just about every time they run it?
It's designed to free up Bell from just below the top of the key & i like the idea to get Bell involved but the execution 9 times outta 10 is just brutal to watch. Again, i think it goes back to half-a$$ed picks & screens.
-Mike's use of time-outs.
Attention: This is not the NFL. You do not have to save your T.O.'s for the last two minutes nightly. I can see using one to draw up something at a critical point at crunch time but Bball is a game of momentum. A sure way to disrupt momentum is to....(I know,brilliant)... stop momentum.
Another thing...i'm not in Mike's huddles so i can't imagine whats discussed there(other than ENERGY:rolleyes:)but he sure seems to spend alot of time during his precious T.O's complaining to the officials.
-After watching Mike's teams for 4 years i think its fair to say that defense has been missing right?
So we've also decided that Nash & Amare are defensive liabilities. I agree. How many other players have come thru here under the watch/tutiledge of DA? Yet the song remains the same.
I for one don't believe that its possible for a Mike D'Antoni coached team to commit to playing 48 minutes of defense nightly.
-The short rotation.
WhereTF is Brian Skinner? Skinner had a nice first half contributing off the bench.
Did Diaw's contract come with guaranteed minutes too?

I'll be a little surprised if he's coaching here next season.
Just sayin.

Last edited:

Bynum3000

Reaction score
Well at least suns fans aren't delusional enough to think that D'Antoni is actually a good head coach.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have said it before and I will say it again. Enough is enough. If D'Antoni can't take this group of guys to the promised land then he shouldn't be coaching next year.

• His bench rotation has been horrible.
  • His usage of bench players laughable.
  • His offense outside of the transition game laughable.
  • His defensive coaching has been non-existent.
Then again if I want a coach who can teach good offensive transition game and call great out of bounds play...we have our man.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
the Suns have 1 of the most star studded lineups in the NBA,
yet, they can't win squat

Last edited:

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Then again if I want a coach who can teach good offensive transition game and call great out of bounds play...we have our man.

The problem is, there's already a legendary coach in the league who does it better. His name is Don Nelson. He used to coach Nash in Dallas, and would run that team non-stop, emphasizing scoring and playing a predominantly transition game. It never really panned out for Dallas, possibly because they didn't have enough athleticism to pull it off. In any case, history tells us that Nellie ball is a failing enterprise.

These days, as we all know, Nellie is once again imprinting his "small ball" style on Golden State. And at some point--I guess we can presume it started with the acquisition of Nash--D'Antoni copied Nellie's style and the Suns became a slightly more refined version of the old Dallas and Golden State teams.

It worked for a while because the Suns were flush with midsized athletes who could run the court and finish with authority. And damn, was it fun to watch. ;) But now those guys are gone. Suns brass are demanding a renewed focus on rebounding and defense, but I'm just not sure that D'Antoni has the coaching chops to give them what they want.

D'Antoni has shown a knack for being a Don Nelson disciple, but the cloning procedure was a little too good: D'Antoni also possesses Nellie's inept ability to properly coach half court sets.

It was fine to have a glorified cheerleader on the sidelines when the Suns played a running game with some high pick n' rolls peppered in, but I keep expecting D'Antoni to put on the big boy pants and do some actual coaching now that the team requires it. The acquisition of Shaq signaled a need to throw some X's and O's into the mix, but D'Antoni has done little to expedite Shaq's integration into the team. He's failing us exactly when we need him the most. Are our expectations really that unreasonable?

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
Someone tells me why we couldn't just copy the styles Malone/Stockton's Utah played and be more effective and successful? Individually, we are better at every position, at some some much more better, with a deeper bench. Amare=Malone, Nash=Stockton, Shaq way better than whoever played C, Hill > Russel, Bell = Hornacek. And the bench Diaw/LB/Giricek/Skinner/DJ is better than Marshal/Eisley/Anderson.

The answer: because DA want's Nash to dominate the ball like Iverson without the shot numbers, not approaching it a la Stockton. Putting Shaq downlow would be tantamount to making Nash look like the lowly Stocktons and Paytons of the league past. DA just couldn't do it to Nash.