The Official Discuss Coach D'Antoni Thread

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Someone tells me why we couldn't just copy the styles Malone/Stockton's Utah played and be more effective and successful? Individually, we are better at every position, at some some much more better, with a deeper bench. Amare=Malone, Nash=Stockton, Shaq way better than whoever played C, Hill > Russel, Bell = Hornacek. And the bench Diaw/LB/Giricek/Skinner/DJ is better than Marshal/Eisley/Anderson.

The answer: because DA want's Nash to dominate the ball like Iverson without the shot numbers, not approaching it a la Stockton. Putting Shaq downlow would be tantamount to making Nash look like the lowly Stocktons and Paytons of the league past. DA just couldn't do it to Nash.

The largest, glaring fallacy in your theory was this missing observation (which would explain everything)...

Sloan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> D'Antoni

cly2tw

Reaction score
The largest, glaring fallacy in your theory was this missing observation (which would explain everything)...

hahah, thanks for getting that punch line for me:thumbup:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Pretty much.

Both stress an efficient offense in the halfcourt based upon the pick and roll while getting easy baskets in transition. That however is where d'Antoni's coaching stops. Sloan uses that extra practice time and intensity that Mike doesn't believe in to preach defense and toughness as well. Ironic that those are the two things that have come between the Suns and a championship these last few years.

Last edited:

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
today is a big day for those who want D'Antoni canned.

March 3rd
8:05 P.M

All are shocked as longtime D'Antoni defender Syracuselaxman44 announces that he now wants D'Antoni canned.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sloan uses that extra practice time and intensity that Mike doesn't believe in to preach defense and toughness as well. Ironic that those are the two things that have come between the Suns and a championship these last few years.
I think Sloan is a great coach, but that extra practice time, defense and toughness you speak of did not exactly pay off in a championship for the Utah Jazz neither. Jerry Sloan took Utah to playoffs in 16 out of 19 seasons and came up empty all 16 times. It just goes to show that winning an NBA championship is a lot more difficult than some might assume.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I think Sloan is a great coach, but that extra practice time, defense and toughness you speak of did not exactly pay off in a championship for the Utah Jazz neither. Jerry Sloan took Utah to playoffs in 16 out of 19 seasons and came up empty all 16 times. It just goes to show that winning an NBA championship is a lot more difficult than some might assume.

I believe that's due to general lack of talent aside from Malone/Stockton throughout the years. Bulls had Grant/Rodman/Harper/Kukoc. Sonics had Detlef Schrempf/Ellis. Suns and Rockets had also more talent besides their stars.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
I believe that's due to general lack of talent aside from Malone/Stockton throughout the years. Bulls had Grant/Rodman/Harper/Kukoc. Sonics had Detlef Schrempf/Ellis. Suns and Rockets had also more talent besides their stars.

utah had hornacek too,great player,bad haircut:)

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I will retire my screen name if D'antoni is the head coach next season without a ring on his finger.

doomsday

Reaction score
Too Confident

The quote of the year was made by D'Antoni. A while back after an embarrassing loss to the T'Wolves, D'Antoni stated that that was one of a few losses the Suns would have this season. Fifteen or so losses later, that quote is hitting the Suns pretty hard. A few losses is quite a remark but not a surprising one from an arrogant individual. The Suns have work to do.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
is it not possible to just hire a defensive coach alongside mike d sorta like football? mike gets to do his offense thingy without worrying about defense, then the defensive coach does the rest...

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
is it not possible to just hire a defensive coach alongside mike d sorta like football? mike gets to do his offense thingy without worrying about defense, then the defensive coach does the rest...

Supposedly, that's what these five men are supposed to help him do:

SUNS ASSISTANT COACHES
Alvin Gentry (College - Appalachian State)
Phil Weber (College - North Carolina State)
Dan D'Antoni (College - Marshall)
Todd Quinter (College - Lebanon Valley)
Jay Humphries (College - Colorado)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
"We're here to win a championship," he said. "We're not here to develop players."

D'Antoni

enough said
What's that old saying about not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time? :D

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
It's a shame we don't have you out there playing defense for the SUNS Green 'cause your defense of D'Antoni is impeccable.;)

Nah, I'm slow to react. The post I quoted was already a couple days old before I said anything.

:)

To be fair, I don't think D'Antoni is infallible, but I do think he gets too much flack from a lot of people. But, everyone has a right to their opinion so :thumbup:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. The aquisition and recent play of Gears has allowed Mike to look beyond Barbs and Diaw for contributors resulting in what seems to be a more well-rounded rotation. I still think that we're gonna need Skinner at some point and i'd like to see him get regular minutes whether it be spot duty or whatever.
I've noticed that Mike's using his TO's at better junctions of the game lately as well.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Agreed. The aquisition and recent play of Gears has allowed Mike to look beyond Barbs and Diaw for contributors resulting in what seems to be a more well-rounded rotation. I still think that we're gonna need Skinner at some point and i'd like to see him get regular minutes whether it be spot duty or whatever.
I've noticed that Mike's using his TO's at better junctions of the game lately as well.

What I think the Giracek acquisition shows is that D'Antoni isn't afraid to use his bench as long as he can get semi-consistent production out of it. Frankly, as much as we all wanted it to be so, that just wasn't going to happen with DJ at all. Skinner was there for a stretch, but he had an awful January and it cost him dearly.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
This doesn't have too much to do with D'Antoni...but in the Spurs forum there is a "Fire Pop!" thread. It's new after the loss to the Celtics.

:thumbup: