The Official Still Hating on Shawn Marion thread.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but the Suns should be getting to the FT line more often which should negate this negative.
As long as we make more FT's than the opponent, percentage doesn't mean too much. Then there's the factor of getting them into foul trouble and getting into the penalty.
These are dynamics that the previous system weren't designed to create.

Last edited:

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
It is pretty funny that the Suns have been ridiculed for years for not having a center and then ridiculed further for acquiring a former MVP center.

This hypocrisy only makes sense if you're Bill Walton on acid. Otherwise, it's just somebody who always needs to find something critically wrong with the team no matter what.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Marion in 40 minutes had 4 points today. I thought he wanted to become a superstar, superstars never score 4 points in a game.

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
The rebounds Marion normally would get have been picked up by Hill, Diaw, Bell, Stat and even Nash. The rebounds that normally would go to the other team now belong to Shaq.

I'm thinking this may be true of points as well. Shawn picked up 10-20 points a night from sheer hustle, but I'm starting to think that the other players are still picking up these points. The result is that even though you lose Marion, you don't lose most of his points or rebounds. Anyway, I hope.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Marion in 40 minutes had 4 points today. I thought he wanted to become a superstar, superstars never score 4 points in a game.

Au contraire! Four points in one game is perfectly OK as long as we're talking about a difference-maker who turns the Suns into a rebounding powerhouse. :D

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
lol beard ur right! makes all the nay-sayers who said this trade was ******** say "wait a minute!"

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Banks has played well for miami from what i've seen. it's nice that he can take some pressure off of wade on defense.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So I guess there are guys like Banks who can put up good numbers on crap teams, but can't play a role on a good team. And there are guys like Bruce Bowen who can't do crap for crap teams, but can play a role on a good team.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
So I guess there are guys like Banks who can put up good numbers on crap teams, but can't play a role on a good team. And there are guys like Bruce Bowen who can't do crap for crap teams, but can play a role on a good team.

I don't think that Banks had a prayer in Phoenix. The kid can play, regardless of the team, he just needs to get a chance. He'll certainly get that in Miami, competing with the likes of Jason Williams and Chris Quinn.

The_Matrix

Jump Program
Reaction score
We remember the "Shawn Marion Stinkbomb," when a random game rolls up and Shawn scores like 1 point. Well it happened last night, Marion scoring 4 points on 2-5 shooting, Heat lose to Sixers in OT.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2008022314

40 minutes of PT and you can't get a single free throw? Really, what the hell? Do anyone besides Suns fans finally see the big flaws in Marion?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
We remember the "Shawn Marion Stinkbomb," when a random game rolls up and Shawn scores like 1 point. Well it happened last night, Marion scoring 4 points on 2-5 shooting, Heat lose to Sixers in OT.

40 minutes of PT and you can't get a single free throw? Really, what the hell? Do anyone besides Suns fans finally see the big flaws in Marion?

Crazy isn't it? I imagine the Sixers actually payed attention to Marion and thus, the significant drop in numbers.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
maybe Marion was guarded tightly because he and wade are the only scoring threat on the Heat roster

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
I actually watched the game yesterday, Marion was average. He rarely got the ball, mainly because this was Haslem's comeback game, and he is more familiar with his teammates. And the Heat played at a much slower tempo than in the last few games, which doesnt favour Marion, who had some bad turnovers. His defence was great, however, had some clutch steals down the stretch, which should have led to a Heat win, but Wade choked again.

The Heat are pathetic, the fact that Banks (who seemed pretty useful in Riley's system) is their best PG speaks for itself.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
they still havent won since the trade huh? i cant believe still single digit wins for those guys.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Won't it be funny if, this time next year, the Heat have only Banks to show for the O'Neal trade -- and are sort of happy about it?

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score

I love the title of this thread, it was inevitable. Comparison:

Marion: 4 pts on 2-5 shooting
Marion: not a single FT ("what the hell?")
Marion: 6 rebounds
Marion: 5 TOs
Marion: 5 steals
Marion: 4 assists
Game = Stinkbomb

Shaq: 4 pts on 1-5 shooting
Shaq: gets 6 FTs -- makes 2 ("what the hell?)
Shaq: 14 rebounds
Shaq: 4 TOs
Shaq: 1 steal
Shaq: 1 assist
Game: Perfection!

Odds are there will be a new thread started every time Marion has a low-scoring game, but whether it's deserved or not I bet we'll never see one titled "First Stinkbomb of Shaq's Suns Career." Any takers?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I always thought they wanted Marion to opt out of his contract (or not pick up his player option) after this season. There's no way they give him the kind of contract extension that he thinks he's worth. The only thing the Heat will be happy about is that they're not paying Shaq 20 million to half-ass it in Miami, but they're not going to like how crappy their team is and how painful it is for the fans to watch them.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I watched some of the game as well and the Heat played small ball for quite a bit of the game. At one point it was:

Williams
Wade
Davis
Marion
Haslem

They got away with it because Philly doesn't really have any real threats down low.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love the title of this thread, it was inevitable. Comparison:

Marion: 4 pts on 2-5 shooting
Marion: not a single FT ("what the hell?")
Marion: 6 rebounds
Marion: 5 TOs
Marion: 5 steals
Marion: 4 assists
Game = Stinkbomb

Shaq: 4 pts on 1-5 shooting
Shaq: gets 6 FTs -- makes 2 ("what the hell?)
Shaq: 14 rebounds
Shaq: 4 TOs
Shaq: 1 steal
Shaq: 1 assist
Game: Perfection!

Odds are there will be a new thread started every time Marion has a low-scoring game, but whether it's deserved or not I bet we'll never see one titled "First Stinkbomb of Shaq's Suns Career." Any takers?

This is the kind of comparison you get from someone that either didn't watch Shaq's last game or doesn't understand how much of an impact he had on the game without even needing to score. No one called Shaq's game "perfection", but he completely controlled the boards against one of the best rebounding and defensive teams in the league......Shawn could never do that.

The other huge difference is that Marion is the #2 player on the Heat and Shaq is a 4th or 5th option on the Suns. Shawn wanted his chance to prove he could be the man and carry a team and guys who can do that never have a night like his last one. I'm sure he still played hard on defense because Shawn always did, but his offensive game is crap unless he's getting dunks & layups or gets hot from 3pt land (which is rare).

I wonder who's fault is was this time that Shawn only took 5 shots? Was the ball just not finding him tonight (Damn Ball, Find Shawn!)? Were plays not being run for him (coach's fault)? Was it because he wasn't comfortable with Haslem out there (aka. Haslem's fault)? or could he just not find his rhythm (because his teammates didn't get him involved)?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05