The Official Still Hating on Shawn Marion thread.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
I don't get that "good regular season - sucks in playoffs" argument.

Yeah, Marion didn't perform great against the Spurs whom we played twice in the last three years.

But my first memories of him in the play-offs consist of more than that.
Like his series-saving rebound and pass to TT against the Lakers, his 38 point game in game 6 of the 2005 Mavericks series and his heroic performance against the Clippers in the second round. He had 36+20 in game 5 before scoring 34 and 30 in games 6 and 7.

Just some numbers:
Postseason 2005: 17.6 points, 11.8 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 1.4 steals on nearly 49% shooting.
Postseason 2006: Suns topscorer at 20.4 points, 11.7 rebounds (1st), 1.15 blocks (1st), 1.85 steals (1st), 49% field goal percentage
Postseason 2007: 16.9 points, 10.4 rebounds (2nd), 1.45 steals (1st), 1.73 blocks (2nd), 50% field goal percentage

No - these numbers don't scream: "Playoff superstar". But they don't yell: "Playoff choker" either.

Keep in mind that we used Amaré's one-on-one abilities to no end in the 05- Spurs series with Marion forcing to get out of the way and standing outside to make room.

Keep in mind that Marion was the Suns' third option at best.

Keep in mind that Marion had to use a lot of energy on the defensive end by guarding quick guards.

I was annoyed by his constant babbling about lacking respect for him as well, though I certainly can understand his unhappyness about being the subject of trade talks all along.
(And than just a few weeks after Sarver's "no trade" talk, he's shipped to the Heat... )

Some of this hate is just so plain wrong and just shows me that Marion was kinda right, after all. It seems no matter what he did, it was not enough. He'd still be the scape-goat of Suns fans.

I just hope for some appreciation in the crowd when the Heat visit Phoenix next year (or whatever team he'll be on).

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you rearrange the letters in "Shawn Marion," it spells out "Hair Snowman" and "Hair Man Owns."

What does it mean? Perhaps nothing, or perhaps that Shawn Marion is a minion of some sort of snowy dark lord who has an impressive mane of long, voluptuous hair.

Can you really afford to take that chance?

:lmao:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I liked Marion (most of the time), but this game still would have ended up what it was if he was on the team. Anyone who thinks otherwise has some serious Marion-love.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Marion (most of the time), but this game still would have ended up what it was if he was on the team. Anyone who thinks otherwise has some serious Marion-love.

I agree. Sometimes the team just doesn't have it. That's basketball.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
i wish that we traded Boris and others for Shaq instead of Marion.
I wish we would have traded Boris for Pau Gasol. Heck, I bet if we had thrown in Tucker as well, we could have had him.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
I wish we would have traded Boris for Pau Gasol. Heck, I bet if we had thrown in Tucker as well, we could have had him.

but who thought memphis will trade gasol with that bad trade?
what was memphis thinking seriously?it's like getting gasol for skinner,banks and strawberry.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but who thought memphis will trade gasol with that bad trade?
what was memphis thinking seriously?it's like getting gasol for skinner,banks and strawberry.

The headlines after that trade should have read, "Buss shows Kobe not the Lakers only rapist."

/Gee!

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score

Unfortunately, Gasol would not have solved our problems with interior defense. Great offensively, bad defensive player.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Gasol would not have solved our problems with interior defense. Great offensively, bad defensive player.
Regardless of how he would have helped us or not, he wouldn't be on the Lakers right now, and indirectly that would help the Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05