The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not going to say a single positive thing about that match. Not one. JK needs to take a look in the mirror and assess what's going wrong.

This was Ireland. And this was Ireland's C+/B- team. And they owned us. Unacceptable, even in a friendly.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
On a brighter note, Happy Paul Caligiuri Day. 25 years ago, and I still remember the SportsCenter broadcast. Could not believe they did it, and it was the lead story on a very busy sports day.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to say a single positive thing about that match. Not one. JK needs to take a look in the mirror and assess what's going wrong.

This was Ireland. And this was Ireland's C+/B- team. And they owned us. Unacceptable, even in a friendly.

I thought Bobby Wood was promising....

This was the worst performance in the Klinsmann era. Flat out embarrassing. Every goal was avoidable, except for the free kick. That was great by Brady. (well, the foul leading up to it wasn't a foul IMO)

Stout

Reaction score

Sounds like a solid addition, and it sounds like maybe he can become the Claudio Reyna we haven't had since, well, Claudio Reyna. It's an easy choice, too. Ethiopa? He'd wallow in obscurity and never sniff a major competition, though he'd probably be their star. Germany? He'd probably never sniff the field. Aside from the other factors, it makes total sense for payers like this to choose the U.S. Plenty of chances to start and make a name for yourself in major competitions.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes true. Will be interesting to see what he and Julian Green do in Olympic qualifying

Indeed. He sounds like a breath of fresh air, midfield playmaker. Ahh!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Enter Slin.....

Germany's sloppy seconds.... blah blah blah...... Didn't want him anyway..... blah blah blah..... World Cup champs.......

:barf:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Enter Slin.....

Germany's sloppy seconds.... blah blah blah...... Didn't want him anyway..... blah blah blah..... World Cup champs.......

:barf:

I am sure someone can find it but Slin also stated Zelalem would not qualify for citizenship, like he was an immigration expert.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roster for January Camp.

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (unattached), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Jon Kempin (Sporting Kansas City), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (out of contract), Dennis Flores (Club Leon), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Marc Pelosi (Liverpool), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (6): Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julio Morales (Tepic), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

I'd like to see Wood, Gil, and Nguyen work their way into the team this cycle.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Roster for January Camp.

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (unattached), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Jon Kempin (Sporting Kansas City), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (out of contract), Dennis Flores (Club Leon), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Marc Pelosi (Liverpool), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (6): Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julio Morales (Tepic), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

I'd like to see Wood, Gil, and Nguyen work their way into the team this cycle.

I can honestly say I have never heard of Bono, surprised Kitchen is listed as a defender, he plays D-Mid for DCU and someone tell me why Wondolowski is on this roster.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
I can honestly say I have never heard of Bono, surprised Kitchen is listed as a defender, he plays D-Mid for DCU and someone tell me why Wondolowski is on this roster.

Ha ha! Before I read your quote, I was going over the names and Wondolowski was the one that stood out. The Wondoboner he pulled against Belgium still has me in disbelief.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cool to see Gyasi Zardes on the squad. That guy has a ton of potential and nobody has ever heard of him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stout

Reaction score
Nor do I. In the long term, it *might* help out the USMNT. In the short term, I don't see how it could. (Unless you talk about Jozy and the lack of playing time he was getting at Sunderland)

It didn't seem to hurt him with the MNT. I hate to say it, but simply training with a Premier League team and just playing once in a while is probably worlds better than playing on a regular basis in the MLS. The quality is that different. And you know me--I can't stand Sunderpuke :D

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
This is similar to the 'Nature vs. Nurture' argument in that both sides can be successfully debated, and I don't think one trumps the other. The foreign academy systems' training, nutrition, and dedication are miles ahead of our system, but the US is finally committed to something beyond the amature coaches from area schools trying to set the foundation for creating world-class professionals.

It is still important for youngsters (DeAndre Yedlin is a good example) to experience the daily competition and fitness level needed to even see the pitch on a top league club. A younger Clint Dempsey looked every bit outclassed, confused, and winded every time he played in his first season with Fulham. By the time he earned a place in the starting XI, he was on another level as a player. When Deuce moved north to Spurs, the lack of game time seemed to affect his game.

I have no problem with established players coming to MLS, getting consistent match play, increasing fan excitement, and moving this league forward. Just like 'Nature vs. Nurture', a combination of both playing in a top league and coming back to MLS, is probably the better argument. This using both sides of the debate might be best for not only players, but coaches as well. Just like finding athletes with citizenship availability, the USMNT program needs to recruit from the coaching ranks of foreign based programs, and push young coaches to seek jobs overseas.

Last edited:

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Looks like Jozy for Defoe deal is done.

I backed this man to the hilt for sunderland, but holy crap he just doesn't seem anywhere near good enough. He had a few decent runs in the side and was a regular off the bench if not playing and we got nothing in return.

Can't head the ball, first touch was awful... And his finishing!! Odd thing is when I see him play for your lot he looks a different player. He gave everything when he played and maybe it was a confidence thing with him but it was never going to work.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/13/sunde...-of-hilariously-bad-miss-v-west-brom-4986033/

Unfortunately there are tons of these stacking up.

I hope he gets his mojo back as he always seemed like a nice well liked lad with the players and when interviewed. But facts are he couldn't cut it. Good luck big man.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I have no problem with Jozy coming back to MLS to try to get his club confidence back, same thing with Brek Shea(with the idea they are both young enough to go overseas one last time). I just wish it wasn't Toronto that organization is either terrible or cursed, they spend a ton of money and never make the playoffs. Plus IMO the best US players in MLS should be playing for US based teams not Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver.

Slightly off topic...props to MLS for naming the MVP award after Landon Donovan.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Jozy for Defoe deal is done.

I backed this man to the hilt for sunderland, but holy crap he just doesn't seem anywhere near good enough. He had a few decent runs in the side and was a regular off the bench if not playing and we got nothing in return.

Can't head the ball, first touch was awful... And his finishing!! Odd thing is when I see him play for your lot he looks a different player. He gave everything when he played and maybe it was a confidence thing with him but it was never going to work.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/13/sunde...-of-hilariously-bad-miss-v-west-brom-4986033/

Unfortunately there are tons of these stacking up.

I hope he gets his mojo back as he always seemed like a nice well liked lad with the players and when interviewed. But facts are he couldn't cut it. Good luck big man.

I know you follow them much more than I do, (seen 3 or 4 Sunderland games this year) but it's pretty tough to blame Jozy alone. The midfield is terrible, they struggle to score goals with or without him. Yes, I'll give you that his first touch is very good at all, but his back to the goal play is good. I'm not so sure I'd have Wickham out there instead of Jozy.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
I know you follow them much more than I do, (seen 3 or 4 Sunderland games this year) but it's pretty tough to blame Jozy alone. The midfield is terrible, they struggle to score goals with or without him. Yes, I'll give you that his first touch is very good at all, but his back to the goal play is good. I'm not so sure I'd have Wickham out there instead of Jozy.

Mate, I cant ever begin to tell you just how bad he has been.

If I could dig out the stats you be amazed. We have been far from prolific of course but the man must have had 25 decent chances and missed every single one. Not making runs, going too early and just seemed panicked if he got a sniff of goal. He started well and just went down hill.

Daft thing is he had goal chalked off against Arsenal early days and if that stood he might have been a different player. £6.5 million and nearly 50 games and 1 league goal says it all.

This article might hit the nail on the head
http://www.theguardian.com/football...er-a-badly-advised-confidence-sapping-failure

As I said he seemed a genuine guy and I think the fact he kept in working his socks off says a huge amount about his character. I hope he gets a spark back in Toronto and no doubt the MLS will be more his level.

Stout

Reaction score
Not good. Not good at all. Our forwards made lots of hay with little service, so that's good. Our defense is atrocious in all forms. Garza shouldn't see the field again for a while, nor Chandler. Each were out of position a lot and abused almost at will other times. We surrendered the game late--again. I know it's just a friendly, but damn, we are bloody awful.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not good. Not good at all. Our forwards made lots of hay with little service, so that's good. Our defense is atrocious in all forms. Garza shouldn't see the field again for a while, nor Chandler. Each were out of position a lot and abused almost at will other times. We surrendered the game late--again. I know it's just a friendly, but damn, we are bloody awful.

I didn't watch the game since I was at work but your comments echo a lot of what I have read elsewhere. I did see where some say Brooks was the lone bright spot in defense.

The late collapses are becoming a Klinsmann trademark....much like the early deficit was a Bob Bradley trademark.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There was some good. The Altidore goal was a beauty from him out of no where. Altidore was selfless in the assist to Johannson as well. 4 goals for Altidore in last 6 INTL appearances. Poor Ben.

Surrendering late in friendlies don't concern me too much with the amount of substitutions allowed. Bentner played out of his mind last night. The thing that concerns me is that this team cannot hold possession.