The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying not to get spoiled... I missed the game. Does anyone have a way I can watch it online somewhere? Either stream or download? If so please PM me.

Thanks,

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think the pitch was terrible. There was a lot of possession lost for both teams where it was just a poor bounce or ball that was too hard to control. I agree about Bradley being too cute but I think he was the best player on the field for either side and it showed. Zardes does seem lost I think the new guy out played him but I thought the point was made that zardes did run a lot. I thought the defense was much better than I've seen them in a very long time. It might have something to do with Mexicos quality but they looked good both in defense and attack which was a good sight. Yedlin also looked good. Bradley could have used him more.

Yep, I can agree with that. Strangely, me feeling he was being too cute is a positive for me. He's being pushed by JK, and it's starting to show. All the way up until the final ball, he was great on the ball and really dynamic. Once he settles into the role, I think he'll be a good #10 style player.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep, I can agree with that. Strangely, me feeling he was being too cute is a positive for me. He's being pushed by JK, and it's starting to show. All the way up until the final ball, he was great on the ball and really dynamic. Once he settles into the role, I think he'll be a good #10 style player.
he is the closest thing we have to being that and I do think he should be our captain no doubt.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Looking forward to the June matches.

DATE / TIME / MATCHUP

June 5, 2015 / 2:30 PM ET / MNT vs Netherlands

June 10, 2015 / 2:45 PM ET / MNT vs Germany

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/05/31/13/02/150531-mnt-v-ned-ger-roster-rel

Those start times suck for me...I will be at work.

To be honest the US roster for these friendlies is lacking quite a bit

GOALKEEPERS : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

DEFENDERS : Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

MIDFIELDERS : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Danny Williams (Reading)

FORWARDS : Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

No Dempsey, Altidore, Gonzalez, Besler but Beckerman continues to be called in (thankfully he left Wondolowski at home).

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Those start times suck for me...I will be at work.

To be honest the US roster for these friendlies is lacking quite a bit

No Dempsey, Altidore, Gonzalez, Besler but Beckerman continues to be called in (thankfully he left Wondolowski at home).
I like the team. I don't see a lot of need to bring dempsey and altidore for every friendly. I want to see more youth and experiment with as many combos as possible before the gold cup. Beckerman does surprise me a little. My guess is klinsmann likes his defensive game and you need a player like that for these opponents. But I don't see much of a future beyond maybe the gold cup and qualifying for beckerman. We shall see.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I like the team. I don't see a lot of need to bring dempsey and altidore for every friendly. I want to see more youth and experiment with as many combos as possible before the gold cup. Beckerman does surprise me a little. My guess is klinsmann likes his defensive game and you need a player like that for these opponents. But I don't see much of a future beyond maybe the gold cup and qualifying for beckerman. We shall see.

These aren't just regular friendlies these are about prepping for the Gold Cup by building team chemistry, these are the last matches before our regional tournament. Dempsey, Altidore and Gonzalez are all hurt--you can bet if they had been available they would be there.

You won't see much youth this summer--U20 WC is going on right now (US has already won their first 2 matches and qualified for the knockout stages) and the U23 Toulon tourney is going on (US is not doing so hot there 2 wins and 2 losses) and the U23 Olympic Quals are in the fall.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These aren't just regular friendlies these are about prepping for the Gold Cup by building team chemistry, these are the last matches before our regional tournament. Dempsey, Altidore and Gonzalez are all hurt--you can bet if they had been available they would be there.

You won't see much youth this summer--U20 WC is going on right now (US has already won their first 2 matches and qualified for the knockout stages) and the U23 Toulon tourney is going on (US is not doing so hot there 2 wins and 2 losses) and the U23 Olympic Quals are in the fall.

+1

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Good points. and with Gonzalez it would be nice to have him in with this team if possible. Honestly with jozy and dempsey I don't see it being an issue but I agree that he would have called them. It would be nice to have them but it's also an opportunity for a younger guy.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Jordan Morris was called in to camp for the friendlies, since he was in France anyways for the Toulon Tournament not tough for a college kid on summer break to hop on a train to Amsterdam.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I'm not liking our situation at goalie.

Its the one position Americans can use their hands. We got that covered.

Brad Guzan is a "plumber' net-minder. He goes to work and will do the job. Nothing flashy or spectacular, but you get a brave, technically sound keeper that doesn't make bone-headed mistakes. Always been a fan of what Brad brings as a shot stopper.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Its the one position Americans can use their hands. We got that covered.

Brad Guzan is a "plumber' net-minder. He goes to work and will do the job. Nothing flashy or spectacular, but you get a brave, technically sound keeper that doesn't make bone-headed mistakes. Always been a fan of what Brad brings as a shot stopper.

Aston Villas 2013 Player of the Year. Rare for that to go to a Keeper, Guzan's presence doesn't make me fret over Howard not being around for the Gold Cup (JK already named Guzan starter for the tourney).

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can bring up a mistake for just about every GK playing consistently at a high level. The fact is Guzan is consistently good and has been for awhile.

Is "good" going to be good enough though. IMO Howard set the bar pretty high playing at an elite level during the World Cup. I'll admit I'm fairly new to watching soccer so I haven't seen Guzan play much prior to this year. All I really know is that he hasn't had much of a good go over the last year. Maybe he is just in a funk.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Is "good" going to be good enough though. IMO Howard set the bar pretty high playing at an elite level during the World Cup. I'll admit I'm fairly new to watching soccer so I haven't seen Guzan play much prior to this year. All I really know is that he hasn't had much of a good go over the last year. Maybe he is just in a funk.

Guzan actually outplayed Howard in the Premier League the past 2 seasons IMO. That isn't saying Howard wasn't good just that Guzan was better.

This is Howard from early in the season...
Just three days after tying a Europa League record for saves in a game, Tim Howard was to blame for the first two goals -- one on a penalty kick he conceded and the other on an own goal after he punched a ball off Palace's Frazier Campbell into his goal.

He has now given up 13 goals in five games, the most in the EPL.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
I can't remember a more entertaining Friendly. We have problems on the back line, but the counter attack pace is promising. Yay, youth.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I can't remember a more entertaining Friendly. We have problems on the back line, but the counter attack pace is promising. Yay, youth.

I didn't get to watch (damn work) but I followed on a couple of sites. From what I gather Brooks, Alvarado, Orozco and Shea were pretty bad defensively, is that correct?

Did Danny Williams do enough in his time to overtake Beckerman on the depth chart?

I hear Bradley had another strong game wearing the captains armband--he needs to keep it, we have no player more deserving of being captain.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
You gotta find a replay. haha

Shea is DeMarcus Beasley Part II. He gives a speedy option from deep, but doesn't close down ball servers. Brooks has all the ability in the world from the neck down. When he doesn't have to think (his goal was an amazing display of aggression) he is great; marking in the box not so much.

Danny Williams was a late sub, but wow, what an impression in a short period of time.

The General is still the best player, but he "ball watches" too much when on defense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake