The Official US Soccer thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I would just ask how Portugal is that much better than the US.

The US dominated for most of that match. And US parked the bus v. Ghana. That explains why only Ghana attacked.

Anywho, who cares. USA USA.

And I would say that US looked far way better than Spain for stretches in this tourney.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

The US dominated for most of that match. And US parked the bus v. Ghana. That explains why only Ghana attacked.

Yeah the US parked the bus against Ghana right.. Ghana had about two dozens of goal scoring chances just were inept.

Their coach failed, couldn't handle Muntari, Boateng and Essien argueably 3 of their 5 best players. Instead tinkered with young guys and failed.

Also I didnt see the US "dominate" Portugal. It was a pretty close match and Portugal was without 2 of their 3 best players having lost Pepe and Coentrao. Also Ronaldo looked like he didn't even belong. He either just sucked or was not healthy at all.

Unless teams are totally dominant, you still need luck to advance, the US had it in 1 game which gave them 3 crucial points. Congratulations to them advancing, does not make them better than Italy, Spain, England and so on.. South Korea was in the semi finals in 2002, Uruguay was in the semi finals 2010, Turkey was in the semi finals in 2008 -> still these teams were never better than the power houses.

Tell me if the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament gets beat by a cinderella team in the first round, do you honestly think they are the better team?^^..

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I would say that US looked far way better than Spain for stretches in this tourney.

One game or even 3 games won't determine who is better overall IMO. We match up great against Portugal, not so much against Ghana/Germany. It doesn't mean that we are better than them. I think that Portugal and their squad match up better than the US for more opponents than the other way around.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One game or even 3 games won't determine who is better overall IMO. We match up great against Portugal, not so much against Ghana/Germany. It doesn't mean that we are better than them. I think that Portugal and their squad match up better than the US for more opponents than the other way around.

I don't even know what that means.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The #1 team never gets beat by a cinderella team in the first round. Putting England in the same sentence as Italy and Spain is silly.

Why all the love for Portugal? I just don't get it. And silly little Ghana looked pretty good against Germany (better than the US and Port did anyway). I am pretty sure that your favorite Ghana defender also played a part in Germany getting their equalizer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even know what that means.

If you matched up Portugal against every team in the world and did the same with the US. Portugal would win more of those matches.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The #1 team never gets beat by a cinderella team in the first round. Putting England in the same sentence as Italy and Spain is silly.

Why all the love for Portugal? I just don't get it. And silly little Ghana looked pretty good against Germany (better than the US and Port did anyway). I am pretty sure that your favorite Ghana defender also played a part in Germany getting their equalizer.

Boye was very good against Germany, unfortunately he cost his team big time against the USA and Portugal.

Gave Dempsey a clear path towards the goal instead of forcing him to the sideline and scoring an own goal that put Portugal ahead in their deciding game.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Qualifying for the best of 16 doesn't make anyone better than others. It's based on 3 games.

A lot can happen in 3 games and better teams can lose to worse teams or draw especially since the lesser teams often play with no interest to attack and just sit back and force the favorite who have the pressure to win to attack them.
Spain won 3 straight tournaments and dropped out before the knockouts. Anyone want to tell me now that the USA are better than them? :D

Portugal played hilariously bad for example, still they are clearly a better team than Ghana or the USA.
Same for Spain, Italy or even England.
You match them up in 100 games in a final game against teams like Nigeria, USA, Algeria and so on and you will see that they will probably win 50%, draw 30% and lose 20%.

Some of the big teams struggle internally with chemistry or crumble under the huge expectations.

These teams have far more talent than several of the qualified teams for the last 16.

Also I am not changing my rating for the USA team at all. Their win against Ghana was extremely lucky and not deserved at all - huge individual error by that Ghana kid to go ahead after 30 seconds, then scored one off a corner at the end but between the first minute and the last minute only Ghana attacked.

I suspect that most of the Cinderella teams will be taken care off now in the knockouts now.

Yawn. You really won't ever admit if you were wrong. I was never claiming US were top 10 or anything, but they have proved well enough to live in that 15-20 range. You claim that Bosnia are clearly better has been blown away. They were poor. Just poor.

You say anything can happen over 3 games. This is the WORLD CUP. This is where it matters more than anywhere. The US did what was needed in every game. Of course you're the type that uses individual players and transfer values as a judge of how good a team is. Portugal are nowhere near the level you claim.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep, look at Mexico barely qualifying and now playing really well. Just survive to play another game.

That's what I was actually thinking of yesterday. So many people thought it was strange that our team/fans were celebrating after losing to Germany. They should have watched the Mexico game live like I did as the USA came back and beat panama saving their playoff spot lol. You would have thought they won a final. Getting into the World Cup and advancing means everything and you take everything that you can get! I'm not surprised Germany beat us and it could have been worse but hopefully our players gained experience and confidence from that

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Who cares about peoples rankings the reason we love the World Cup is we get to watch
These crazy results. I love that the USA is not rated higher. There's nothing better than watching Ghana a team full of talent and arrogance get punched in the mouth like they did. Same with Portugal. Who cares if the USA isn't more talented and doesn't compare to their ability. Results are what matter and we advanced they didn't. We were inches away from tying Germany. Anything can happen at the World Cup.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not sticking up for slin as a disagree with a lot of what he says at times, but he clearly has some knowledge of the game. I'd say that I would agree with most of his top 15. Don't you?

Germany, Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, France, Belgium, Argentina, Uruguay, (with Suarez) Chile are clearly better. England, Portugal, Switzerland, Ivory Coast, Columbia, Croatia, Bosnia, are arguably better. Serbia probably not. So even with that list, we aren't top 10. FIFA has us ranked at 16.

I'd put the US in the next tier like he mentioned with England, Portugal, Switzerland, Ivory Coast, Columbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Japan, Ukraine, Sweden, Mexico, Ghana etc.

He is clearly a Germany homer, but you can't just completely dismiss everything he says. He hits and misses with the rest of us.

You must be registered for see images

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sticking up for slin as a disagree with a lot of what he says at times, but he clearly has some knowledge of the game. I'd say that I would agree with most of his top 15. Don't you?

Germany, Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, France, Belgium, Argentina, Uruguay, (with Suarez) Chile are clearly better. England, Portugal, Switzerland, Ivory Coast, Columbia, Croatia, Bosnia, are arguably better. Serbia probably not. So even with that list, we aren't top 10. FIFA has us ranked at 16.

I'd put the US in the next tier like he mentioned with England, Portugal, Switzerland, Ivory Coast, Columbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Japan, Ukraine, Sweden, Mexico, Ghana etc.

He is clearly a Germany homer, but you can't just completely dismiss everything he says. He hits and misses with the rest of us.

I had no idea how good any teams were heading into the world cup. I was under the impression that the US was god aweful and slin agreed and posted his rankings. However when I found out his rankings were based off the sum of the total "transfer value" of the players on a team, I got a big laugh out of it and knew it was crap. I don't see how you could agree with that type of ranking system.

If you still think the US is ranked around 30 I would have to disagree with you. They are not that bad from what I have seen over the last couple of weeks. I've already seen at least a dozen matches outside of the US games.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea how good any teams were heading into the world cup. I was under the impression that the US was god aweful and slin agreed and posted his rankings. However when I found out his rankings were based off the sum of the total "transfer value" of the players on a team, I got a big laugh out of it and knew it was crap. I don't see how you could agree with that type of ranking system.

If you still think the US is ranked around 30 I would have to disagree with you. They are not that bad from what I have seen over the last couple of weeks. I've already seen at least a dozen matches outside of the US games.

This.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Yep rankings don't mean anything. Talent is important but so is team play. Every World Cup you see less talented teams take down higher touted teams not because they are more talented but they are a better team. It's no different than any other team sport in that regard. in the end the team that wins the World Cup is always very talented but also buys into one another and plays as one team leaving the egos at the door.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The next cycle has to be the busiest in USNT history, Klinsmann will no doubt be satisfied with the extra games as he tries to put his mark on how the organization functions.

2015 Gold Cup
2015 Confederations Cup play in game (Not necessary if the US wins the 2015 Gold Cup)
2016 Copa America Centenario
2016/2017 WCQs
2017 Gold Cup
2017 Confederations Cup (if qualified)

That is as an absolute ton of competitive games, far more than most other senior teams.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The next cycle has to be the busiest in USNT history, Klinsmann will no doubt be satisfied with the extra games as he tries to put his mark on how the organization functions.

2015 Gold Cup
2015 Confederations Cup play in game (Not necessary if the US wins the 2015 Gold Cup)
2016/2017 WCQs
2017 Gold Cup

That is as an absolute ton of competitive games, far more than most other senior teams.

And although not the men...... The womens World Cup is next year in Canada.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

2015 Gold Cup
2016/2017 WCQs
2017 Gold Cup

Yes I am looking forward to all of these tournaments. The copa America is in the United States this time and that can be an advantage. If our fans support the team like they did for the World Cup and at home we might be able to compete well. That is the uefa of the Americas as we get to play against the South American teams.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And although not the men...... The womens World Cup is next year in Canada.

Of course, I was only pointing out the unusual number of high impact games the USMNT has signed up for. The last WWC final was a more entertaining match than the 2010 men's final, that's for sure. Canada is going to be very dangerous considering they are both the hosts and what happened in the London games. The US men could have a solid run in the Olympics as well given their U23 talent now with perhaps a surprise or two with their overage spots (unless they gag in qualifying again...)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I am looking forward to all of these tournaments. The copa America is in the United States this time and that can be an advantage. If our fans support the team like they did for the World Cup and at home we might be able to compete well. That is the uefa of the Americas as we get to play against the South American teams.

I just heard on the radio that the ratings of the US-Belgium game were higher than game 1 of the World Series between the Sox and the Cardinals. For a game in the middle of the day, during the work week. And, that can't even count the thousands at the big viewing parties around the country.

That blew my mind. Wow.

Futbol, or soccer, at the national level, the days of apathy are gone in this country. It's been a slow build, but I think we are getting close to where people thought this game might get when Pele signed for the NY team in the 70s.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I just heard on the radio that the ratings of the US-Belgium game were higher than game 1 of the World Series between the Sox and the Cardinals. For a game in the middle of the day, during the work week. And, that can't even count the thousands at the big viewing parties around the country.

That blew my mind. Wow.

Futbol, or soccer, at the national level, the days of apathy are gone in this country. It's been a slow build, but I think we are getting close to where people thought this game might get when Pele signed for the NY team in the 70s.

Yes I started watching soccer big time in the 90s. It is light years ahead of where it was then in America. Honestly I've always been a USA follower but it was like I felt isolated then because no one cared that much. Now a lot of people care about USA soccer and it will only get bigger as my generation gets older. Baseball and the other sports are not rising anymore especially with the youth like soccer is. Soccer is a great sport for anyone. It's not going to happen overnight but I do believe that one day we will win when our best athletes play soccer. There are still people that don't understand soccer and are resisting it, but even the media has jumped on the bandwagon because they make money off of giving the masses what they want. And this time it was soccer and it's only getting bigger.

Last edited:

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Leeds is not a first division team, their players are not exposed to transfer market much.

How would Ross McCormack be worth more than 2.700.000. Dude transfered to Leeds for 2.000.000. He is a 27 year old 2nd dvision player for a bad 2nd division team. I'd say his market value is pretty fair, not dodgy at all.

There is no way he would generate considerably more than that, maybe 4M if Leeds was lucky.

Talents are always undervalued there because there is no legitimate way to rate what a 18 year old who just came out of the youth ranks is realistically worth until someone offers to buy him for X.

Just the latest example of Slin acting like he knows better, when in fact he spouts rubbish a great deal.

Ross McCormack has just gone to Fulham in a deal for £11m.

Was it £4m if Leeds were lucky Slin? Please stop acting like you know everything about the game. Maybe listen to others who might, maybe, know a little bit as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake