The Official US Soccer thread

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Man, we might have a shot to advance if, and only if, our coach gets his head out of his ass. I mean, WTF with that starting lineup? Okay, Cameron missed with a slight knock, but Birnbaum didn't do bad spelling him. Cameron will be back in. Yedlin clearly got a talking to at half time, and had a solid 2nd half after getting abused and trying to hand Equador goals left and right.

But JK, WTF are you doing with that lineup? Go with the youth while using your experience in the back 4 (with the exception of Yedlin--we're kind of in 'ride or die' mode with him right now). No way should Beckerman see the field. Pair Nagbe with Bradley. Start wood. Use Pulisic and Zardes a lot. I like what Twellman said--if we start the youngsters and we fail to advance, but those youngsters all become starters for the WC, then it isn't a failure. IMO, if we start the old fogeys and fail to advance, there is NO upside.

:thumbup:

If something drops out of Twellman's mouth that is slightly debatable, I will always jump toward the conflicting side. However, this time he nailed it. Everyone would love to see the USMNT do well in this upcoming tournament, but in the end, the results are unimportant compared to getting the promising youngsters meaningful time together on the pitch.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

If something drops out of Twellman's mouth that is slightly debatable, I will always jump toward the conflicting side. However, this time he nailed it. Everyone would love to see the USMNT do well in this upcoming tournament, but in the end, the results are unimportant compared to getting the promising youngsters meaningful time together on the pitch.

I think he is spot on with most of his opinions. :shrug:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sans major injury, Beckerman and Dempsey shouldn't see the field. Jones and Bradley should pair at defensive mid and Pulisic/Nagbe should be starting.

Unsurprisingly, our best players continue to play in Europe. Every American who has the talent should be playing in Europe, almost none of the US players who come back to the MLS get better.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Man, we might have a shot to advance if, and only if, our coach gets his head out of his ass. I mean, WTF with that starting lineup? Okay, Cameron missed with a slight knock, but Birnbaum didn't do bad spelling him. Cameron will be back in. Yedlin clearly got a talking to at half time, and had a solid 2nd half after getting abused and trying to hand Equador goals left and right.

But JK, WTF are you doing with that lineup? Go with the youth while using your experience in the back 4 (with the exception of Yedlin--we're kind of in 'ride or die' mode with him right now). No way should Beckerman see the field. Pair Nagbe with Bradley. Start wood. Use Pulisic and Zardes a lot. I like what Twellman said--if we start the youngsters and we fail to advance, but those youngsters all become starters for the WC, then it isn't a failure. IMO, if we start the old fogeys and fail to advance, there is NO upside.

I'm with you 100%. I woke up early to watch the game and I saw the lineup and thought I was watching a game from 2014 and wanted to go back to sleep. Then in the second half wood nagbe pulisic Bedoya and Bradley in beckermans role looked like a completely different team full of possession and excitement. Then even the back 4 came to life with the two flank backs stepping up. Yedlins one on one was brilliant and set up the goal. Woods assist to nagbes reliable first touch. That's the type of football the United States has always lacked historically. I hope the days of passing backward and hoping for a long ball or set piece will eventually come to an end. We already know what that old veteran lineup can do. We need to see the youth that looks promising. I think klinsmann feels the heat to get a result now so he is a little scared to go away from old guys that he trusts.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I agree with most of what you said except for using Zardes a lot, the guy is not a quality player, at least not yet.

I was fine with that back 4 last night, Cameron makes it even better replacing Birnbaum--a player who I like but Cameron is more experienced and better right now).

That midfield was terrible, Jones, Beckerman and Bradley? Then up top you have Zusi and Zardes on the wings? Zardes is all hustle little skill, Zusi is skilled but no speed and Dempsey--well he isn't much of anything anymore.

If JK insists on starting Dempsey (and I think he will) then Wood needs to start up top with him.

Put Nagbe in the middle with Bradley, have Bedoya and Pulisic out wide.

Jones, Beckerman, Zardes etc need to be guys coming off the bench...let Zardes run by people late in a game when the opponents may be a little gassed. Let Jones come in to break up the opponents midfield when we need to gain possession back. Let Beckerman come in if we need to maintain possession late but don't really need to push for another goal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said except for using Zardes a lot, the guy is not a quality player, at least not yet.

I was fine with that back 4 last night, Cameron makes it even better replacing Birnbaum--a player who I like but Cameron is more experienced and better right now).

That midfield was terrible, Jones, Beckerman and Bradley? Then up top you have Zusi and Zardes on the wings? Zardes is all hustle little skill, Zusi is skilled but no speed and Dempsey--well he isn't much of anything anymore.

If JK insists on starting Dempsey (and I think he will) then Wood needs to start up top with him.

Put Nagbe in the middle with Bradley, have Bedoya and Pulisic out wide.

Jones, Beckerman, Zardes etc need to be guys coming off the bench...let Zardes run by people late in a game when the opponents may be a little gassed. Let Jones come in to break up the opponents midfield when we need to gain possession back. Let Beckerman come in if we need to maintain possession late but don't really need to push for another goal.

I agree with everything you said. Our midfield is horrible with Beckerman and Jones in there together. Only one can play at a time. Neither is good enough to hold possession at all. Nagbe was a difference maker out there. I didn't see one bad decision on his part. The poise to chest that ball before striking it is what Wood needed to do when he mi**** that ball near the 6 yard box.

Stoked we had a clean sheet and they only had 1-2 dangerous chances.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said. Our midfield is horrible with Beckerman and Jones in there together. Only one can play at a time. Neither is good enough to hold possession at all. Nagbe was a difference maker out there. I didn't see one bad decision on his part. The poise to chest that ball before striking it is what Wood needed to do when he mi**** that ball near the 6 yard box.

Stoked we had a clean sheet and they only had 1-2 dangerous chances.

I really hope JK recognizes the difference Nagbe, Pulisic and Bedoya made compared to who they replaced. If he rolls out another Beckerman, Jones, Bradley midfield he needs to be fired as soon as the national anthem is over.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I really hope JK recognizes the difference Nagbe, Pulisic and Bedoya made compared to who they replaced. If he rolls out another Beckerman, Jones, Bradley midfield he needs to be fired as soon as the national anthem is over.

Nagbe pulisic Bedoya and Bradley as the number 6 as balboa kept saying in Spanish is what I would go with. I love Bradley in beckermans role when we have a legit 10. In the 2010 cup we saw how well Bradley played with Landon in front of him. i still feel like Dempsey could have something to give with the right people behind him. But I would consider bringing Zardes l/pulisic if he doesn't start or someone else with speed off the bench to sub him after halftime if he is not effective.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score

Lorenzo

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/736717694934781952

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/736722771493818368

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/736731386929762304

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/736734998619783168

When the USMNT can control possession, they have the firepower to make it pretty. Nagbe's run, on the Pulisic goal, has made me a believer. Having someone that can take on and get past defenders is something this team has missed.
That was the best part of the game nagbe to pulisic instant magic. And I know jK will be loyal to his guys(Dempsey and jones are going to start by most accounts). so I just hope nagbe can break through somehow. And I really hope beckerman does not play. Hearing Holden elude to that just makes me worry. At least wondo hit the frame at the end this time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That was the best part of the game nagbe to pulisic instant magic. And I know jK will be loyal to his guys(Dempsey and jones are going to start by most accounts). so I just hope nagbe can break through somehow. And I really hope beckerman does not play. Hearing Holden elude to that just makes me worry. At least wondo hit the frame at the end this time.

If Nagbe doesn't start, it'll be a crime. If Jones AND Beckerman starts, it'll be a crime. Hell, Beckerman had better not be in the lineup. Give me Bradley, Jones, and Nagbe, and I'll be happy.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Anyone going to any of the Copa America matches? I have tickets to the US V Costa Rica here in Chicago.

I'm in the American Outlaws section for the Philly game. Can't wait!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
If Nagbe doesn't start, it'll be a crime. If Jones AND Beckerman starts, it'll be a crime. Hell, Beckerman had better not be in the lineup. Give me Bradley, Jones, and Nagbe, and I'll be happy.

So no nagbe yet. I think he should be in the lineup over jones. Tough penalty to concede no way did that look intentional or did it stop a real goal opportunity. a terrible turnover by Bradley to start that sequence

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So no nagbe yet. I think he should be in the lineup over jones. Tough penalty to concede no way did that look intentional or did it stop a real goal opportunity. a terrible turnover by Bradley to start that sequence

Yeah, Bradley had a few real stinkers in this game that hurt us, and could have hurt us a lot worse. I was watching with a friend who used to play central defense in high school, and we both agreed he was probably trying to protect his face and, since his hand was up, that was a penalty. Sorry, but there's a reason you're taught to keep those hands down.

The starting lineup was okay. We didn't have Beckerman and we didn't go all defensive, so okay. But WTF with the subs? I liked bringing Pulisic and Nagbe on, but two of the three subs were straight up like for like. Pulisic is on, great! Oh, but Wood is off. Zusi on, but his shadow Bedoya is off. Weird.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yeah, Bradley had a few real stinkers in this game that hurt us, and could have hurt us a lot worse. I was watching with a friend who used to play central defense in high school, and we both agreed he was probably trying to protect his face and, since his hand was up, that was a penalty. Sorry, but there's a reason you're taught to keep those hands down.

The starting lineup was okay. We didn't have Beckerman and we didn't go all defensive, so okay. But WTF with the subs? I liked bringing Pulisic and Nagbe on, but two of the three subs were straight up like for like. Pulisic is on, great! Oh, but Wood is off. Zusi on, but his shadow Bedoya is off. Weird.
Yeah I see that on the penalty. It was one by the letter of the law. Just going by my experience of seeing that not called a penalty so many times I guess. At the time I was being a homer. If it goes the other way I'd be saying hey it's a penalty.

I agree with the subs. I thought Bedoya was one of the better players. Wood looked really good in the first half at times. For me Zardes was a non factor all game long. I'd like to see more of nagbe on maybe less of Zardes but that may be a call for a formation change or a lineup tweak. I like the Idea to Keep Zardes for a late sub maybe so he can run at the defense. I don't think that Bradley will ever be subbed off. Jones was ok for me today and at least is a guy that battles and goes forward with confidence.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is weird to say that the team that was 2-0 down at half time was the better team, but that's now I saw it. They got dominated for the 1st 15min of the second half and then were the better team again.

Jesus Christ was Bradley bad, bad bad this game. I counted at least 6 turnovers by him today. Like Lalas said, I can't think of one player that had a good game. Not one.

Weird that you can be the better team for long stretches and not have one player really have a good game. That could be a positive going into the next game. Must win.

Oh, and no way do I see that as a pen. I have seen that not called so many times. The ref really seemed to let Colombia get away with a lot tonight. Wasn't a major factor other than the pen call.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am ok with the subs, and goal differential could play a part. I'm glad that they didn't let in a 3rd.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is weird to say that the team that was 2-0 down at half time was the better team, but that's now I saw it. They got dominated for the 1st 15min of the second half and then were the better team again.

Jesus Christ was Bradley bad, bad bad this game. I counted at least 6 turnovers by him today. Like Lalas said, I can't think of one player that had a good game. Not one.

Weird that you can be the better team for long stretches and not have one player really have a good game. That could be a positive going into the next game. Must win.

Oh, and no way do I see that as a pen. I have seen that not called so many times. The ref really seemed to let Colombia get away with a lot tonight. Wasn't a major factor other than the pen call.

It's also been called a penalty countless other times. Hand up for no damn reason can and does lead to a penalty call, so they really shouldn't be doing that crap.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
First: for all the time I've spent over on the Cards section, I can't believe I havent stumbled across this until now.

As to last night:

at least the US looked like they belonged on the same pitch as the #3 ranked team in the world. I've watched plenty of games, many where they garnered a result, where they didn't.

I think to beat a superior opponent, you need your best players to play well. It was a mixed bag -- Dempsey was good, but Bradley was not. Brooks was solid, but Yedlin didn't have a good game. Fabian Johnson was just OK.

Very curious to see how the game against CR goes -- Also curious if Klinsman is feeling any pressure.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think JK needs to make some small tweaks. I think we should discount the Bolivia game completely and focus more on what we saw in the second half vs a much better Ecuador team. I don't have a problem with the people who started although I'd like to see nagbe in the starting lineup maybe even pulisic over Zardes or Dempsey. But the latter probably won't happen. Eric wynalda has called for Bradley to be benched and the Mexican analyst on FS1 agreed both to my surprise. But Bradley was terrible with the ball in his half of the pitch. A better game from Bradley and maybe we have a shot to draw that game. I thought jones and Bedoya where the two best midfielders and wood looked the most dangerous of the front trio. Yet they were the three subbed out. Ultimately I think it is time for JK to trust some of the younger players for the future of this team and am still disappointed that he's wasting roster spots with wondo and beckerman.

Columbia is good enough to win this tournament although I would not have been excited as a fan after the way they looked and with James looking very frail after that fall.

Last edited:

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
This talk of a moral victory might be more believable if everyone could stop referring to the FIFA Rankings. You know... the same collection of Einsteins that decided Russia and Qatar were the best countries to host the next World Cups. "Maxim Hot 100 Soccer Nations" would have more credibility.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3-0 at halftime! That Bobby Wood goal was special. The Jones goal was great as well, but Wood getting the shot from nothing was amazing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake