The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
No possession, no idea what to do in the attacking half, defensive blunders, poor passing...that was just awful. It has been pretty much this way since the Gold Cup, the team is a mess.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Mess like this one usually stem from higher up than just the head coach.

Except, as sad as it is to say, we were in better shape before JK. It's just about time to face up to the fact that he probably sold us a bill of goods.

He's facing an absolute, 100 percent must-win game. A draw leaves us in desperate shape. It's put up or shut up time for the JK era.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mess like this one usually stem from higher up than just the head coach.
I've always been a support of JK, but he needs to stop messing around with the team and positions.

Far too many players are playing out of position.

Stout

Reaction score
Tonight is a must win, no two ways about it. A draw doesn't suffice--it leaves us on five points, praying for two victories and for Guatemala to not draw T&T (will likely win their other match). Nothing less than victory is acceptable.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Tonight is a must win, no two ways about it. A draw doesn't suffice--it leaves us on five points, praying for two victories and for Guatemala to not draw T&T (will likely win their other match). Nothing less than victory is acceptable.

Agreed.

I have become so apathetic to this team that I don't even question the roster or lineup choices much anymore. They are such a mess right now and there really is no light at the end of the tunnel. It looks like we are going to get worse before we get better and that sucks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

I have become so apathetic to this team that I don't even question the roster or lineup choices much anymore. They are such a mess right now and there really is no light at the end of the tunnel. It looks like we are going to get worse before we get better and that sucks.

Hopefully we get worse after a victory. 8 months is a long time to fix issues. 8 months ago, this team wasn't in bad shape compared to now.

Stout

Reaction score
Hopefully we get worse after a victory. 8 months is a long time to fix issues. 8 months ago, this team wasn't in bad shape compared to now.

Yes, hopefully we get that time to fix it after the win. The catch 22 is that I don't have a lot of faith that JK can fix it, yet if we do win, there's no way he's getting fired. I'd like a new coach to have those extra 8 months to try to fix it.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure hope they can notch a win. Not to say that they will have a chance in the Olympics, but it sure is fun to watch them while they are

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Sure hope they can notch a win. Not to say that they will have a chance in the Olympics, but it sure is fun to watch them while they are

Stout was talking about World Cup Qualifying but yep the Olympic team plays tonight too right after the National team (a soccer double header).

The Olympic team got a good result in Colombia in the first leg but they were outplayed and frankly kinda lucky to leave there with a draw. Hopefully being at home they step up their level of play and come out on top tonight.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout was talking about World Cup Qualifying but yep the Olympic team plays tonight too right after the National team (a soccer double header).

The Olympic team got a good result in Colombia in the first leg but they were outplayed and frankly kinda lucky to leave there with a draw. Hopefully being at home they step up their level of play and come out on top tonight.

Sure hope so too!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
4-0, should have been 5-0. I guess playing at home makes all the difference!

Now just hope for a positive result from the Olympic team.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well, US is clearly outclassed against Colombia. Down 2-1 now have to win 3-2 in order to advance, the US goal was a fluke own goal...looks like no olympics AGAIN

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Anyone going to any of the Copa America matches? I have tickets to the US V Costa Rica here in Chicago.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Aside from the back 4 I can't stand tonight's line up. Bradley, Beckerman and Jones all on the field at the same time spells NO offensive creativity.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Beckerman and Jones come off and the US actually gets some offensive life to it.

Oh and Dempsey is no longer a starter, he is a shell of what he once was.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Beckerman and Jones come off and the US actually gets some offensive life to it.

Oh and Dempsey is no longer a starter, he is a shell of what he once was.

Any justification of having both Grumpy Old Men starting at the same time went out the window.

The Flyin Hawaiian should have his name written in ink for the Starting XI. Everyone else should only be considered if they compliment him.

Stout

Reaction score
Man, we might have a shot to advance if, and only if, our coach gets his head out of his ass. I mean, WTF with that starting lineup? Okay, Cameron missed with a slight knock, but Birnbaum didn't do bad spelling him. Cameron will be back in. Yedlin clearly got a talking to at half time, and had a solid 2nd half after getting abused and trying to hand Equador goals left and right.

But JK, WTF are you doing with that lineup? Go with the youth while using your experience in the back 4 (with the exception of Yedlin--we're kind of in 'ride or die' mode with him right now). No way should Beckerman see the field. Pair Nagbe with Bradley. Start wood. Use Pulisic and Zardes a lot. I like what Twellman said--if we start the youngsters and we fail to advance, but those youngsters all become starters for the WC, then it isn't a failure. IMO, if we start the old fogeys and fail to advance, there is NO upside.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake