The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This talk of a moral victory might be more believable if everyone could stop referring to the FIFA Rankings. You know... the same collection of Einsteins that decided Russia and Qatar were the best countries to host the next World Cups. "Maxim Hot 100 Soccer Nations" would have more credibility.

True words spoken.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
3-0 at halftime! That Bobby Wood goal was special. The Jones goal was great as well, but Wood getting the shot from nothing was amazing.

They were already playing well before the woods goal but I'm curious to see how they play moving fwd if they will keep dropping Dempsey or Zardes and leave wood high central. Either way they were interchanging much better today. Maybe that's the key and easier against an inferior or less committed defense. Costa Rica pushed very high early I'd say it backfired in the end after the USA survived the early wave.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Great win tonight. I bet Zeno was rolling.

At my AO Bar it looked like a solid win with a few exceptions. Dempsey is playing horribly. He had many options up the channel for Zardes, Wood, & Bedoya that were all overlooked for the Me-first...crappy dribbling display. He got bailed out by Jones on his goal with the same stupidity as well.

Brooks & Cameron look like the real deal back there. Hopefully JK lets them build chemistry.

I will be in Philly for the game this Saturday. Should be a good one! Win or a tie and we advance!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
REALLY thankful for that early gift CR gave us in giving up the penalty. What a boneheaded play that 100 percent changed the game. We were playing like hot garbage before that blip in play, and we played like garbage for another 10-15 minutes after that. Merely getting that smash-and-grab goal, and clinging onto it, did transform our play, eventually.

From there on out, the first half was a coast job. I HATED JK's tactics to begin the second half--parking the bus--but we held together and fought back. Once we held firm and started getting forward, it was over.

All in all, what a wonderful win and wonderful result. We'll likely end up playing Brazil, though :)

Does anyone know which sub is older; Graham Man Bun, Wondoboner, or Medusa Hair?

Seriously, this was inexcusable. The Zusi sub was fine, but in no world will Wondo or Beckerman have any shot to make the next WC roster. Wondo shouldn't even be on the roster, and neither should see the field. It's absolutely stealing valuable minutes from younger, much more deserving players.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That was a fun game, CR took it to the US for the first 6-7 minutes and then the first 10+ in the second half but otherwise the US controlled the tempo for the majority of the match.

I was disappointed in the subs, was looking forward to seeing Pulisic and Nagbe play.

Had a blast and got to meet Marcelo Balboa too.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That was a fun game, CR took it to the US for the first 6-7 minutes and then the first 10+ in the second half but otherwise the US controlled the tempo for the majority of the match.

I was disappointed in the subs, was looking forward to seeing Pulisic and Nagbe play.

Had a blast and got to meet Marcelo Balboa too.

Nice!

I was disappointed too with the subs but I think it was a gesture to get them in while they have a chance. If the game were on the line I'm sure it would of been pulisic and nagbe with zusi. Glad to see zusi score. I also think Zardes was a lot more effective when he dropped back and Dempsey was very dangerous when he distributed the ball. So many guys had good games today. Brooks was solid in fact the whole back four was great. Yedlin had a good defensive game and Johnson had a lot more impact moving forward. I truly believe this team is more dangerous than what we've seen in the past.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I was disappointed too with the subs but I think it was a gesture to get them in while they have a chance.

You could be right. But it sure felt like JK purposefully thumbing his nose at everyone calling for the young guys. "Here is how much I care about everyone's opinion, but thanks for sharing." - JK

Stout

Reaction score
Nice!

I was disappointed too with the subs but I think it was a gesture to get them in while they have a chance. If the game were on the line I'm sure it would of been pulisic and nagbe with zusi. Glad to see zusi score. I also think Zardes was a lot more effective when he dropped back and Dempsey was very dangerous when he distributed the ball. So many guys had good games today. Brooks was solid in fact the whole back four was great. Yedlin had a good defensive game and Johnson had a lot more impact moving forward. I truly believe this team is more dangerous than what we've seen in the past.

Gesture hell! There are no 'gestures' at this level. If he's making 'gestures' instead of developing young players, he should be fired. This isn't the good old boy's club.

Oh, you reminded me of Zardes. Man, I really don't ever want him in the starting lineup any more. He was more effective when he dropped back in helping to defend and WINNING possession, but he more often than not gifted that possession back to the opposition. I have zero faith in him once he gets the ball, because he looks like an elephant in possession--slow, clueless, and plodding. Kind of reminds me of Davies in the old days--blazing fast, but completely unskilled. He's young, but too poor in possession to get the on-the-job training others deserve over him.

You could be right. But it sure felt like JK purposefully thumbing his nose at everyone calling for the young guys. "Here is how much I care about everyone's opinion, but thanks for sharing." - JK

This is more likely, IMO, and is one of the reasons I've soured on JK as of late.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Yep

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Gesture hell! There are no 'gestures' at this level. If he's making 'gestures' instead of developing young players, he should be fired. This isn't the good old boy's club.

Oh, you reminded me of Zardes. Man, I really don't ever want him in the starting lineup any more. He was more effective when he dropped back in helping to defend and WINNING possession, but he more often than not gifted that possession back to the opposition. I have zero faith in him once he gets the ball, because he looks like an elephant in possession--slow, clueless, and plodding. Kind of reminds me of Davies in the old days--blazing fast, but completely unskilled. He's young, but too poor in possession to get the on-the-job training others deserve over him.

This is more likely, IMO, and is one of the reasons I've soured on JK as of late.
I agree totally about Zardes. Every time he got the ball in the first half he instantly lost it especially in the final third. By his standards he was way better in the second half. But I still think that nagbe should be in the starting lineup with Dempsey and wood forward. Or pulisic starting or coming off the bench. Save Zardes to run at people late in the game if need be.

As far as the gesture comment I totally think that's what he did. There's no way wondo or beckerman have a future on this team barring a lot of injuries God forbid. JK knows that and he is using them because he trusts them and they are his guys. Look at Beasley he did the same thing. And who had the turnover or horribly failed tackle that cost us the game vs Mexico??? It's not like we did not have Johnson and Yedlin and other options at left back. Yet after that game he calls out Johnson in the media if I remember correctly. Arguably his most flexible and versatile player.

I agree with your comments due to the fact that I don't think beckerman or wondo should even be on this roster. But that's what he did. For today he's safe since he got a good result against a team that was very capable of getting a result against us. But a loss vs Paraguay with the status quo questionable decisions... I can no longer defend his job.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm looking fwd to the match. Wondering what JK will do. Wondering if that switch to the 4-4-2(ish) was temporary or if he will stay with the same lineup. Usually by game 3 in US tournaments we are used to changes being made to lineups. But a must win will put pressure on klinsmann to make a decision. I know we scored goals against Costa Rica but for me the 433 hasn't worked so well with Zardes forward. I feel like nagbe should be in the game from the start with Dempsey and woods forward.

I know JK isn't the most popular guy here and I do question some of his decisions but there's a cool video of him visiting the American outlaws at a philly party.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking fwd to the match. Wondering what JK will do. Wondering if that switch to the 4-4-2(ish) was temporary or if he will stay with the same lineup. Usually by game 3 in US tournaments we are used to changes being made to lineups. But a must win will put pressure on klinsmann to make a decision. I know we scored goals against Costa Rica but for me the 433 hasn't worked so well with Zardes forward. I feel like nagbe should be in the game from the start with Dempsey and woods forward.

I know JK isn't the most popular guy here and I do question some of his decisions but there's a cool video of him visiting the American outlaws at a philly party.

He goes back to the 4-3-3. I am almost guarantee it.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What a fun atmosphere tonight! Glad we got the W.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a fun atmosphere tonight! Glad we got the W.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also win the group with Costa Rica beating Colombia and might get to avoid Brazil.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
We also win the group with Costa Rica beating Colombia and might get to avoid Brazil.

Yep that would be huge. At least now with Yedlin out we will finally see a lineup change. This game is hard to analyze because once the USA got their goal they went on the defensive and counter game then the Yedlin....but the boys showed effort and brooks good lord this is what we've been waiting for. We may finally have a legit sweeper. He may have earned a raise tonight. I say put Zardes at right back he likes to defend ;)

Free nagbe

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Yedlin has been the goat of this tournament for us, and Zardes is still an incredibly frustrating talent who thankfully had a moment of brilliance, but that's all the negative I have for this game. Incredible performances up and down the lineup, and we won the group thanks to an insane performance from CR. Now let's see Brazil win their group so we get the better draw in Peru.

Heck, the game's on Thursday instead of Friday, and even THAT is good news for me :)

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Broad observations:

amazing how much easier the game goes when your two center backs are playing a smart, controlled game. I hope the US has really found something with
Brooks and Cameron ( with Miazga on the horizon). I also think dropping Bradley back right in front of them has helped as well-- not just defending, but when the ball is regained in your defending third -- controlling it and linking up with your attackers so possession is maintained.

Another big picture question: what has happened to playing out of the back? It seems like a Guzan goal kick was effectively giving possession back around 90% of the time.

The exciting thing about Bobby Wood is that he still has upside-- very curious to see what competing in the BL 1st div does for his game --

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Another big picture question: what has happened to playing out of the back? It seems like a Guzan goal kick was effectively giving possession back around 90% of the time.
--

The worst part of Guzans game is his distribution, I know it is a small complaint when he seems to do so many other things so well but it sure does get frustrating. Not only do a majority of his upfield kicks seem to go to the opponent a lot seem to go out of bounds as well.

I am looking forward to the eventual center back partnership of Brooks (23 yrs old) and Miazga (21) going forward, Cameron is playing really well but the potential with those 2 working together is sky high.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst part of Guzans game is his distribution, I know it is a small complaint when he seems to do so many other things so well but it sure does get frustrating. Not only do a majority of his upfield kicks seem to go to the opponent a lot seem to go out of bounds as well.

I am looking forward to the eventual center back partnership of Brooks (23 yrs old) and Miazga (21) going forward, Cameron is playing really well but the potential with those 2 working together is sky high.

Agreed with both. I would love to see Cameron in Bradley's #6 role and then Bradley further forward in Jones's role. That would be a more complete team if we can get Miazga in there.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Agreed with both. I would love to see Cameron in Bradley's #6 role and then Bradley further forward in Jones's role. That would be a more complete team if we can get Miazga in there.

I think JK did that in the Belgium game two years ago with Cameron and Bradley but I can't remember. It may not have been the same role. For those two. Still cannot believe we could of won that game.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score

He had one or two that he tried to play out of the back after the send off. Once it led to a terrible turnover.

I'm excited about miazga. Have not seen much of him. For brooks this is the best stretch of games he's had in the NT. It has to be nice to have the same pairing as well. That has to help. Brooks had made progress for sure.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake