The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't mind refs giving out cards, but it should be three accumulated yellows being a suspension instead of two if they're all going to hand them out like halloween candy.

No, it should be two...but they need to be wiped out after the group stage. Then, if you get two in the knockout rounds, you miss a game.

Well, a win is a win is a win, however you can get it.

I think we definitely showed immaturity, both in the group stage and in this game, but we battled, we stuck with it and, most importantly, we had the lead when the craziness went down. Massive second goal. Yedlin, Wood, okay, they're kids, and they should know better, but Jones? NO EXCUSE. NONE. Jones is the goat even in a win, and would have been the all-time goat had we lost. Honestly, with how poor we were in the second half, we should have lost that game--EASILY.

But a win is a win is a win, however you can get it :) Now please, PLEASE, Argentina, can you all get food poisoning on Monday? ;)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Once Jones went out that game was all Ecuador, I couldn't help feeling we were lucky to escape with a win. Jones really has had a good tournament--probably third to Brooks and Dempsey on the team--his loss hurts a lot.

So no Jones, Bedoya or Woods for the semi. My guess based on JK's history is Beckerman for Jones, Nagbe for Bedoya and Wondo for Woods. That is what I am guessing not what I would do--probably pretty good odds that is what happens.

We get 2 more games guaranteed no matter what happens in the semi's. To be one of the last 4 teams left is pretty good, in fact that was JK's stated goal going in.

Stout

Reaction score
Once Jones went out that game was all Ecuador, I couldn't help feeling we were lucky to escape with a win. Jones really has had a good tournament--probably third to Brooks and Dempsey on the team--his loss hurts a lot.

So no Jones, Bedoya or Woods for the semi. My guess based on JK's history is Beckerman for Jones, Nagbe for Bedoya and Wondo for Woods. That is what I am guessing not what I would do--probably pretty good odds that is what happens.

We get 2 more games guaranteed no matter what happens in the semi's. To be one of the last 4 teams left is pretty good, in fact that was JK's stated goal going in.

Good God, I hope that's not what happens! Wondo, Beckerman? No frickin' way! I think he'll bring in Nagbe for Jones and Zusi as like for like for Bedoya (it was all JK's fault Bedoya's suspended, as he got that card when he had nothing in the tank and should have been subbed well before). IMO, what JK SHOULD do for Woods is put Pulisic in the starting lineup. Wondo makes zero sense in that role but, well, we know JK and his stubbornness at times.

JK has definitely saved his job and finally, finally settled on a starting 11 and stuck with it. Aside from the stupid subs late in the 4-0 win that he did just out of spite, and except for leaving Bedoya in too long, he's managed well this tourney. I'm back behind him, for the most part. But if he goes with Beckerman and Wondo, that faith will dissolve pretty quickly and we'll be in for trouble. Not that we have much chance if/when Argentina advances, but we have to take our best shot. Those two in the starting 11 don't give us our best chance.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good God, I hope that's not what happens! Wondo, Beckerman? No frickin' way! I think he'll bring in Nagbe for Jones and Zusi as like for like for Bedoya (it was all JK's fault Bedoya's suspended, as he got that card when he had nothing in the tank and should have been subbed well before). IMO, what JK SHOULD do for Woods is put Pulisic in the starting lineup. Wondo makes zero sense in that role but, well, we know JK and his stubbornness at times.

JK has definitely saved his job and finally, finally settled on a starting 11 and stuck with it. Aside from the stupid subs late in the 4-0 win that he did just out of spite, and except for leaving Bedoya in too long, he's managed well this tourney. I'm back behind him, for the most part. But if he goes with Beckerman and Wondo, that faith will dissolve pretty quickly and we'll be in for trouble. Not that we have much chance if/when Argentina advances, but we have to take our best shot. Those two in the starting 11 don't give us our best chance.

The suspended players will be missed, particularly Woods IMO, but I don't think it's as hopeless against Argentina as you seem to think. Tata Martino is a terrible coach, and Argentina can be inconsistent, even with Messi in the lineup. Ecuador beat them in Buenos Aires during qualifiers late last year. They did play without Messi, but Argentina doesn't lose at home, especially not a qualifier game.

Stout

Reaction score
The suspended players will be missed, particularly Woods IMO, but I don't think it's as hopeless against Argentina as you seem to think. Tata Martino is a terrible coach, and Argentina can be inconsistent, even with Messi in the lineup. Ecuador beat them in Buenos Aires during qualifiers late last year. They did play without Messi, but Argentina doesn't lose at home, especially not a qualifier game.

Oh, I have hope. I doubt we'll win, but we have a shot. I just hope JK's changes, forced upon him, are good, positive changes. If he goes negative (Wondo, Beckerman), our chances are lowered, IMO.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh, I have hope. I doubt we'll win, but we have a shot. I just hope JK's changes, forced upon him, are good, positive changes. If he goes negative (Wondo, Beckerman), our chances are lowered, IMO.

I'm not sure what he should do with the lineup. I do know Argentina will kill anybody on the counter with Di Maria on the left. Whichever lineup he chooses, they better be up to providing good cover from central midfield, and not giving away possession in spots where you leave your defenders scrambling against a deadly counter. I've seen the US do that that last 2 games, and that's not gonna fly against this team. Argentina has beaten my boys from Chile twice because of this.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not sure what he should do with the lineup. I do know Argentina will kill anybody on the counter with Di Maria on the left. Whichever lineup he chooses, they better be up to providing good cover from central midfield, and not giving away possession in spots where you leave your defenders scrambling against a deadly counter. I've seen the US do that that last 2 games, and that's not gonna fly against this team. Argentina has beaten my boys from Chile twice because of this.

I thought Di Maria was ruled out for the rest of the tournament. I just looked-- guess not but they act like he may not be healthy for their next match...which means he will likely be back for the US game.

You just know Beckerman is going to start...JK believes in him, even though I sure don't.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought Di Maria was ruled out for the rest of the tournament. I just looked-- guess not but they act like he may not be healthy for their next match...which means he will likely be back for the US game.

You just know Beckerman is going to start...JK believes in him, even though I sure don't.

Di Maria seems to get hurt every tournament, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was out and I was totally wrong. Not a fan of Beckerman either.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Still waiting on the starting lineup. I'm thinking he will move Johnson up into midfield and beesler at left back.

From there which Juergen will we get. The one that talks the talk? If he's serious about going fwd and attacking them he will play nagbe in front of Bradley. It will be a risk because the two haven't played much together but when they did they looked good in the Ecuador friendly.

Or if Juergen wants to revert back to 2014 and defend first he will play beckerman behind Bradley. We know what that result will yield before the game starts. For me this is the big question in the lineup. There's no question that in 2016 nagbe is a better player than beckerman. The fact this is even on the table is nauseating.

From there I think we will see zusi in the other midfield slot with Zardes and Dempsey up front.

I'd prefer to see pulisic up front with Zardes and Dempsey in a game where we have nothing to lose staying with the 4-3-3 with nagbe Bradley and zusi and johnson brook Cameron Yedlin in the back

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well I was right on 2 of the 3 replacements, JK is not hard to figure out. Beckerman for Jones and Wondo for Woods...I thought he'd go with Nagbe and use Zusi off the bench like he had been but obviously he likes Zusi's experience.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well I was right on 2 of the 3 replacements, JK is not hard to figure out. Beckerman for Jones and Wondo for Woods...I thought he'd go with Nagbe and use Zusi off the bench like he had been but obviously he likes Zusi's experience.
Ballgame! This resembles a lot of the team that (went for it) against Belgium. I don't like this decision hopefully the game isn't over when he needs to bring in subs to score a goal.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you'd go with "known quantities" like Wondo when you know their peak isn't good enough against non-concacaf opponents

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't know why you'd go with "known quantities" like Wondo when you know their peak isn't good enough against non-concacaf opponents

Wondo and Beckerman are simply not good enough to play against even the CONCACAF heavyweights, let alone what is arguably the best team in the world. Might as well have seen if Nagbe and Kitchen had what it takes.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Beckerman is so useless. Nothing but screw ups so far.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Beckerman is so useless. Nothing but screw ups so far.
Yeah our best offensive players for possessing the ball are on the bench. We deserve this result. We can't even string together 5 balls

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Dempsey has maybe 1 touch so far?

Bradley and Beckerman just giving the ball away, no possession at all

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guzan really saved Bradley there, after the bad pass at midfield.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dempsey has maybe 1 touch so far?

Bradley and Beckerman just giving the ball away, no possession at all
A lot of ball watching when they have it and fear from our players when we get the ball.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The irony is beckermans poor marking gives up the goal. Why is he on at all.