The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Meh, the third placed game is meaningless now. We didn't play to win or even coach to win in the game that mattered. JK proved he hasn't learned his lessons.

You know what, I don't give a damn how well we did in this tournament--I'm back on the fire JK bandwagon. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Hell, he should have been fired when the lineup was announced.
That's basically how I feel word for word. I was starting to have some faith in him. jones and Dempsey proved their worth so I commend him for being loyal to those two. But why does Bradley never get held accountable for his retreating turnovers. Why do you start the two worst players on the roster in our biggest game? Wondo and beckerman should not even be on the roster. Why you would start them in a game vs Argentina is terrible. It contradicts all of the things he said in the media about going for it. i think it is time to move on. I do appreciate his confidence pre tournament but that's about it. We finished where we should have finished but being embarrassed like that in front of so many great fans is ridiculous.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If JK leaves/gets canned, who do you want replacing him?

Ooh, man, that's a big question. I'm not really sure. I think if Del Bosque ends up stepping down, which he might do, you go for him. Gee, beyond that, I'm not sure. Who's available? I'm kind of at a loss for words--which is new for me :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
IF JK does move on I have to wonder who would be the favorite for the position here.

There is no American coach that jumps out (I thought Kreis, Reyna and Ramos would all be coaching contenders by this point but nope--Kreis was fired from NYCFC this past offseason, Ramos has been pretty bad with the U20's and Reyna isn't even coaching)--in fact the most accomplished American coach is Bob Bradley (did well in Norway and pretty good in France too) but we already went down that path.

As for foreign coaches you have to get someone that understands the challenges of the American player and the game itself in the states. It is an education for sure, especially if a coach came from a place with established professional academies and the "futbol" culture. This country still needs a true technical director that can move along our youth development system even more--that to me is even more important than who the coach of the USMNT is.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
This country still needs a true technical director that can move along our youth development system even more--that to me is even more important than who the coach of the USMNT is.

Would love to hear Tim Howard's opinion on Roberto Martinez, the sacked manager of Everton. He was a young, rising star that had a track record of teaching youngsters and getting the most out of average players. The reports from Everton was he did not do well with veteran, world class players and lost the locker room.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

USWNT Olympic jerseys, no crest because they're banned. Yes it definitely makes sense for the IOC to ban crests but say 15 Nike swooshes are ok. Thanks for asking.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

USWNT Olympic jerseys, no crest because they're banned. Yes it definitely makes sense for the IOC to ban crests but say 15 Nike swooshes are ok. Thanks for asking.

Isn't it some beef the IOC has with FIFA or something? I seem to remember hearing that during the last Olympics. It would be nice if they added the stars and stripes to one of the sleeves--or is the presence of the flag a problem too?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They claim not to allow federation logos of any kind, not just soccer, but you'll see other countries with what looks to be their normal crests so go figure. I noticed USA Basketball doesn't have their iconic logo on theirs either (it was a small patch recently). Flags are fine, they probably should have done so on the sleeve here, this jersey reminds me of some of the ones they had in the 80s.

Stout

Reaction score
Wow, England got a terrible manager that can do nothing but avoid relegation, and Sunderland lost a manager that could have saved them from relegation. England, be prepared for the long ball. Sunderland...well, they've made no signings, so...get ready to pass Newcastle as they get promoted and you go down, I guess.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not big on Klinsmann, but I think it would be bad for US Soccer if he bailed now rather than at a time of the USSF's choosing.

Stout

Reaction score
Looks like my team, Newcastle United, are set to sign Yedlin on a permanent basis. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean, I love having a USMNT player on the team, but...man, he was NOT good with Sunderland last season. And I recall the last USMNT defender to sign for Newcastle--Onyewu, in his old-timer years :(

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope Solo got suspended 6 months from the WNT and her contract terminated for her comments. That sure seems like an accumulation based penalty.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Hope Solo got suspended 6 months from the WNT and her contract terminated for her comments. That sure seems like an accumulation based penalty.
yes it does. that's where they need to be clear because her camp is throwing around gender bias and I don't think that is a fair argument if you consider she has a history of bad behavior that has become a distraction for US Soccer regardless of gender.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Looks like my team, Newcastle United, are set to sign Yedlin on a permanent basis. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean, I love having a USMNT player on the team, but...man, he was NOT good with Sunderland last season. And I recall the last USMNT defender to sign for Newcastle--Onyewu, in his old-timer years :(
interesting I think Yedlin has been in over his head so far early in his career. he has shown flashes and the talent is there he just needs to develop the mental side and I think he can be a force I know the fans in whiteheart lane were vocal in wanting to see him play due to his athletic ability, but it is clear that he was not ready for that and perhaps never will be because of the lack of quality in the US....I am moving 40 mins east of the oxford area at the end of October finally. cannot wait to be there. may take a trip to Newcastle to take in a match if I can eventually. cannot wait to attend EPL games just have to find a team.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
In other news Christian pulisic is being shopped by Dortmund. I'm hoping that he stands pat and perhaps takes a loan somewhere in Bundesliga if anything. I think this is just Dortmund trying to profit off of the hype and unfortunately it is not good for him.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roster for WCQs. Some interesting names in there (but I really hope I don't have to watch Wondolowski...)

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough), Ethan Horvath (Molde FC), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids)

DEFENDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha BSC), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle)

MIDFIELDERS: Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Caleb Stanko (FC Vaduz), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Rubio Rubin (FC Utrecht), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg SV)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I would have replaced Beckerman with Kitchen and called in another MF over Wondo...sometimes it feels like JK selects these guys because he knows it pisses off the fanbase (I know he really doesn't do that but it feels good to say it)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have replaced Beckerman with Kitchen and called in another MF over Wondo...sometimes it feels like JK selects these guys because he knows it pisses off the fanbase (I know he really doesn't do that but it feels good to say it)

I don't understand AT ALL why Wondo has a spot on the roster, but I can at least understand Beckerman if we can see a roster like this.

Johnson - Brooks - Cameron - Yedlin
Beckerman
Nagbe - Bedoya
Pulisic - Altidore - Wood

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Brooks was removed due to injury and replaced with Kljestan.
I wonder if it will be Besler, Gonzales, or Birnbaum back there. Shouldn't matter.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I watched part of the match hard to really gauge anything against that opponent. bobby wood should of scored twice earns jozy a goal. he and pulisic need to be playing together. they along with morris I guess are the real future up front, but pulisic is still young blah blah. I notice JK is playing him as a attacking MF. happy Besler got a goal for his family. Beckerman finally looked like he wasn't overmatched for once....that's a joke btw. As bad as this sounds Trinidad and Tobago have given the USA problems of late. I don't know what to think about that because T&T have impressed in other matches too. If USA want to show that the copa was not a fluke this is the game to prove that you are the team in your region.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Roster for WCQs. Some interesting names in there (but I really hope I don't have to watch Wondolowski...)

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough), Ethan Horvath (Molde FC), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids)

DEFENDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha BSC), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle)

MIDFIELDERS: Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Caleb Stanko (FC Vaduz), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Rubio Rubin (FC Utrecht), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg SV)
So it was mentioned above that Brooks returned home due to injury, but where were the other guys. I know jones has been injured was Bradley suspended?