The Official US Soccer thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Morgan Freeman having a relationship (since she was 17) and fathering a child with his step granddaughter had anything to do with it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It had to do with the bland presentation that the US had. Add to that the immense amount of money that Qatar has and is willing to invest in their stadiums and there's your reason why FIFA chose them.

Of course if stuff blows up, then it's FIFA's fault. But I'd imagine there will be a huge private security boom in 2022.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I still can't quite get over the fact that Russia and Qatar managed to win. There is something seriously wrong with the situation. England and the US had the best bids. They were the most solid in terms of stadia and revenue.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still can't quite get over the fact that Russia and Qatar managed to win. There is something seriously wrong with the situation. England and the US had the best bids. They were the most solid in terms of stadia and revenue.

Political. Then again, FIFA obviously wants to tap the Middle Eastern market, but with the volatility of the region, not sure it's a great idea. Just ask the organizers of the African Cup of Nations what happens when you put a tournament in such a dangerous region.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Money money money. That's all it was. To have a successful WC in Qatar, they will need attendance double the population of their entire country. Also, they'll mitigate the excruciating heat with open stadiums with air conditioning? Bull.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Money money money. That's all it was. To have a successful WC in Qatar, they will need attendance double the population of their entire country. Also, they'll mitigate the excruciating heat with open stadiums with air conditioning? Bull.

Kind of funny since the USA was far and away the biggest potential money-maker for FIFA. Strange decision to say the least.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Qatar will have to build new stadiums, roads & hotels to accomodate the event. We had the infrastructure already in place. FIFA is notoriously corrupt and if this doesn't prove it I don't know what will. A lot of people of the FIFA WC Committee are a lot richer after today.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Kind of funny since the USA was far and away the biggest potential money-maker for FIFA. Strange decision to say the least.

I think the 1994 WC still is the most succesful in terms of attendance and money in WC History. Nowhere in the world can compete with the sheer number and size of our stadiums.

Just heard on CNN average temperature in Qatar during June/July is 106+, that should be FUN.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
FIFA Vote Breakdown...

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/russia2018/media/newsid=1344971/index.html

2018 FIFA World Cup™

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes (as no absolute majority was reached, the candidate with least amount of votes, England, was eliminated)

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes (Russia obtained an absolute majority)

2022 FIFA World Cup™

Round 1: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, Korea Republic 4 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 3 votes (Australia eliminated)

Round 2: Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes (Japan eliminated)

Round 3: Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 6 votes (Korea Republic eliminated)

Round 4: Qatar 14 votes and USA 8 votes (Qatar obtained an absolute majority)

England didn't even make it past the first round of votes. No damned sense.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I got this email from U.S. Soccer. It's titled "What we achieved":

Just a few hours ago, FIFA announced the host of the 2022 FIFA World Cup™. Despite our best efforts, the United States was not chosen for this honor.

There's no way around it: I am disappointed. Millions of U.S. soccer fans worked hard to bring the World Cup to our country. To come up short is very difficult to take.

But in the face of this disappointment, we shouldn't lose track of all that we achieved. During the past two years, the outpouring of support for soccer in the United States has been inspiring and historic. More than one million people signed on to our Bid, and more than 100 million watched last summer's World Cup.

Thanks to your efforts, the Game is stronger than ever in our country, and it will continue to grow stronger. There's no question that you've helped make a lasting impact on soccer in the United States. The entire country – and the entire world – took notice.

Even though our Bid did not win, the future of soccer is bright in the United States. You've proven to the world that The Game Is In You, and that The Game Is In US.

Thank you for all that you've done.

Sincerely,

Sunil Gulati
President
U.S. Soccer

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I got this email from U.S. Soccer. It's titled "What we achieved":

Ha, I could have answered that question much quicker - NOTHING, beyond another national embarrassment.

Oh, and not only is Qatar over 100 that time of year, but they're more humid than Houston. Sounds like a wonderful tourist opportunity, I'm sure the world will be clamoring to go there. FIFA is as incompetent and impotent as any world body.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This was a horrible day for me personally.....

I was planning to go to England in 2018 and of course I would have been all over the east coast in 2022.

I hate you Sunil. And I hate this bribery marred process.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I wish I could believe in the comments that Qatar's presentation was better than USA's or the ESPN opinion that Sunil dropped the ball. I wish I could, because then you could point to where the bid committe needs to improve. I wish I could.

Assuming the presentation process decided which country will host the 2022 World Cup, means you have to assume the same for the 2018 decision. BS! England, according to FIFA's Technical Committee, was by far the highest rated choice. England was the only country to receive a 100% rating on the technical side and it's economical review actually may have been better than the USA. The consensus from Switzerland was that England had the best final presentation of every country.

All of the high marks and effective presentation was good enough to secure England... 2 votes. I don't know the break-down of the 22 voters, but I have to assume one of the voters was from soccer's mother-country. That means ONE voter used FIFA's own investigation information and presentation process to decide how to vote. If England's superior bid process could only convince one voter, how well Qatar did or USA didn't do, is moot.

If FIFA's desire is to make the World Cup a travelling road show, to be held in countries that have never hosted the tournament, in an attempt to grow their fan base, I'm fine with that. If that was one of their considerations, Australia would have received more than one vote. The Soccer-Roos have a better infastructure, higher Technical Committee review and is much more fan-travel-friendly.

The only other considerations, I can think of, are:

Political - votes are given as collateral to promote or secure their position within FIFA

Financial - the BBC recently exposed members willing to exchange their vote for cash. Perhaps it is more widespread than just the exposed members.

Either way, the idea that this was a "competition" the USA lost, just doesn't hold water.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boycott. Considering how US fans were second only to host South Africa in buying 2010 tickets, FIFA needs to get burned badly in their wallets for such an atrocious decision.

How long until the British tabloids or Wikileaks or whoever dig up the dirt?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just for comparisons sake...

Population of Qatar under 1 million
Population of Maricopa County around 4 million

Size of Qatar 4,416 SQ Miles
Size of Maricopa County 9,224 SQ Miles

Stadiums that seat 50,000 or more in Qatar as of right now 1
Stadiums that seat 50,000 or more in Maricopa County 2

Doha Int'l airport has 60 gates, 1 runway
Sky Harbor Int'l airport has 120 gates, 3 runways

Closing time for bars in Qatar NEVER, of course there is no opening time since alcohol and public intoxication is illegal

F-Ing FIFA and their corrupt asses.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Boycott. Considering how US fans were second only to host South Africa in buying 2010 tickets, FIFA needs to get burned badly in their wallets for such an atrocious decision.

How long until the British tabloids or Wikileaks or whoever dig up the dirt?

Ha, no official boycott will be needed. Who the hell will travel to Qatar for:

Massive expense
100+ degree temps with extreme humidity
No booze

Hope FIFA is totally embarrassed by this debacle. Can't wait to see the beautiful 3/4 empty stadiums.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
The whole thing stinks. If anyone thinks Morgan Freeman's speech had anything to do with it than I have some ocean-front property in Buckeye for sale. Most had made up their minds well before hand (cough*paid off*cough).

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Qatar folks say that the booze will be flowing for the WC (supposedly alcohol itself isn't illegal, and they have bars in hotels and other touristy places), but I'd love nothing more than to see this turn into a huge debacle for FIFA.

If FIFA is going to make these federations provide these enormously detailed (and enormously expensive) bids, the least they can do is try and pretend that they matter just a little bit. England had the best technical score for 2018 and got a whopping two votes. Australia got one, and the US had 3 in the first round (presumably the 3 from CONCACAF). If these clowns aren't paying one iota of attention to all these bids, then what the hell are they doing?

We need electric cars. Electric cars now! :computer:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Qatar National team is ranked 113 in the world, I would like the USSF to line up a friendly with them and then never take the foot off the gas, treat them like we did Barbados in WCQ, 8-0 or something like that.