The Official US Soccer thread

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Posted in the MLS thread also.....

You know what...... Watching the Galaxy infuriates me.....

WTH WAS BOB BRADLEY THINKING!!!!????!?!!!

Buddle should have been on the field. period.

I think I hate him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree, but two problems:

1) We don't have anyone on the National Team level that can deliver a ball like Beckham

and

2) What makes you think the ball would get to our strikers that often anyway? ;)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Soccer By Ives on Andy Najar and Teal Burnby, two promising MLS youngsters who are deciding between playing for the USMNT or their birth countries.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/11/najar-and-bunbury-ponder-usmnt-option.html

To be honest I am not all that impressed with Bunbury, Najar on the other hand would be a HUGE part of the Nat's, the guy is naturally left sided and is one of the hardest working and fearless kids I have ever seen in MLS. Najar is only 17 and he was United's best player and was constantly going at defenders, unfortunately he had crap for strikers on that team and most of his passes ended up being turned over by a teammate. Not sure how far along he is in the citizenship process, he has been in the US since he was 12 or 13...a plus, his agent is US U20 coach Thomas Rongen's son in law. I know this much Honduras is worried about losing him, even had a front page article there about us trying to steal a "National Treasure".

There are a lot of young potential US Nats in MLS that will be worth keeping an eye on in the next couple of seasons. If I only had faith in our coach.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted in the MLS thread also.....

You know what...... Watching the Galaxy infuriates me.....

WTH WAS BOB BRADLEY THINKING!!!!????!?!!!

Buddle should have been on the field. period.

I think I hate him.

I watched the LA/Seattle game yesterday on ESPN3 and I agree. Damn Bradley!!! Buddle is my favorite player.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edson Buddle has stunk it up since the World Cup, so no surprise he's not on there.

I will say that we need to make a decision on Dempsey. Is he a RM or a striker? With our problems at the forward position, I say make him the #1 striker and be done with it. He's certainly better than any other option we have.

He is the best that we have, but he doesn't seem to be a striker from what I saw. We need some defectors to come over because we obviously don't know how to homegrow them.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Roster should be announced for the South Africa friendly today I guess.

It will include players whose teams have been eliminated in MLS playoffs and European players whose teams are either on break or those that don't get a lot of playing time. It decidedly won't be an A team, which is OK as far as I am concerned.

BTW Altidore scored again for Villarreal, hopefully he can keep it up.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roster for the South Africa trip:

GK - Brad Guzan, Dominic Cervi
D - Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Spector, Jonathan Bornstein, Eric Lichaj, Nat Borchers, Tim Ream, Gale Agbossoumonde
M - Alejandro Bedoya, Eddie Gaven, Brian Carroll, Logan Pause, Robbie Rogers, Mikkel Diskerud
F - Robbie Findley, Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury

Players who will receive their first cap (if they play) are in bold.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The best part of that seqence was Diskerud and how calmly he controlled the ball surrounded by 3 defenders and put a perfect pass to Agudelo. A bunch of those guys are Olympic eligible too, which can be good experience.

Robbie Findley again showed he is not an Int'l caliber player too.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The best part of that seqence was Diskerud and how calmly he controlled the ball surrounded by 3 defenders and put a perfect pass to Agudelo. A bunch of those guys are Olympic eligible too, which can be good experience.

Robbie Findley again showed he is not an Int'l caliber player too.

Agreed on Findley. He just puts his head down and tries to bull through five players. I saw one pathetic sequence where he kicked the ball ahead and tried to circle around the player. It took a very easy bump and he just flew out of the way. Pathetic.

I agree that Diskerud looked great on that play, and not bad otherwise. Agudelo had a good touch. Bunbury did all right. The nice thing about Agudelo and Bunbury is that they both showed good control of the ball in the box. Licaj (sp?) played pretty well in defense too.

All-in-all, a good showing.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see who gets invites to the National team camp in January. It is normally made up of MLS guys and guys from Europe on break (Scandinavian based players mostly). It'll be nice to build up as much depth as possible before the Gold Cup next summer. I'd like to see Charlie Davies at least get an invite to camp to see if he has recovered sufficiently to even be a late game sub--it is hard to imagine he can be worse than Findley.

Lichaj did look good Stout, he is looking to me to be the heir apparent to Cherundolo at right back. Spector didn't look very good though, injuries have severely hurt his development and he is hardly getting any playing time with West Ham anymore.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Should be interesting what kind of team we see next summer for the Gold Cup and who is a holdover from the WC roster. Next friendly is against Chile in January in LA.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Interesting....
US U20 head coach Thomas Rongen revealed to YA a major announcement today that Bayern Munich and German youth international Fabian Hürzeler will change his affiliation and represent the US.

"We got a commitment actually today for Fabian Hürzeler, the captain of the German [U17] team and he plays for Bayern Munich(reserves)," Rongen told YA in Atlanta.

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=7102

Thomas Rongen doesn't get the credit he deserves, people unfairly blame him for Subotic, but he looks for players all over who have US ties. This year he got youth captains of both Portugal & Germany to switch to the US, good for him(and us).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Spector starts in a Carling Cup game against Man U as a central midfielder and he has 2 first half goals (West Ham won 4-0)...weird.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I hate Sunil Gulati for re-signing Bradley.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
World Cup 2022 would be the biggest sporting event in US history if politics and bribery don't get in the way. Can only hope.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Soccernet writers were saying that USA/England both may have overpresented, which irked the voters.

I really wanted it to be here :(
Guess im flying Emirates

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Soccernet writers were saying that USA/England both may have overpresented, which irked the voters.

I really wanted it to be here :(
Guess im flying Emirates

Yep. I'd be pissed too if some country spent all that money on a presentation, when they could have just bought me a new mansion and a penthouse apartment for my vote.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well done, Sunil.

Well done indeed. Gulati has the touch of turd, and is an embarrassment to US soccer.

"In comparison to its competitors, the U.S. presentation, touching on the usual inane fare about being multicultural and professing how much the country loves the game, looked timid and was marred by gaffes. Morgan Freeman accidentally skipped a page of his speech and interrupted himself to correct it; several people misspoke and all speeches but Freeman's were flat and uninspired -- most notably former President Bill Clinton's meandering talk about many things other than the World Cup, including his foundation's work. Then there was the ill-advised spell when the slouching Gulati nixed the dais embraced by everybody else and paced around, giving his speech through a hand-held microphone."

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5872089/us-world-cup-bid-swings-misses

He is a one man wrecking machine. Unbelievable.