The Official US Soccer thread

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Qatar National team is ranked 113 in the world, I would like the USSF to line up a friendly with them and then never take the foot off the gas, treat them like we did Barbados in WCQ, 8-0 or something like that.

Perhaps they should concentrate on countries slightly above them; like the soccer powerhouses that are Togo and Haiti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQLylizGmDs&feature=player_embedded

My guess is there will be about two dozen new Brazilian "oil workers" becoming citizens of Qatar, within the next 12 years.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they should concentrate on countries slightly above them; like the soccer powerhouses that are Togo and Haiti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQLylizGmDs&feature=player_embedded

My guess is there will be about two dozen new Brazilian "oil workers" becoming citizens of Qatar, within the next 12 years.

No doubt. They probably bought Zidane's son with the $15 million they gave him.

Of course, buying humans is legal in Qatar - World Cup should be proud to be played in a place built by slave labor.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The Times of London is reporting that a whistle blower has stepped forward claiming FIFA voters sold votes for as much as $1.5 million each. Also, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that a former member of Qatar's bid team revealed that a payment of almost $80 million was suggested to be made to Argentina to help secure the vote of Argentine FIFA voter Julio Grondona

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/12/did-concacaf-betray-the-usa-2022-bid.html#more

Crooked ass FIFA

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

******** crooked ass MF'ers!

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

ARGH!!!!!!!!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Nice column from Grant Wahl...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/grant_wahl/12/03/wc.bids/index.html

The closer you get to the voting process, the more opaque it becomes. FIFA goes to great lengths to make it seem as though the competition is based on the merits, asking for thousand-page bid books, sending inspection teams to each country and commissioning economic-benefit studies by top consultants. And by those standards, the winners of the bids Thursday would have been England for '18 and the United States for '22.

The common link between Russia and Qatar, besides being new territories for the World Cup, is that they had by far the wealthiest bid budgets. If FIFA wanted to avoid the perception that it isn't entirely clean, it probably shouldn't have chosen the two bidding countries whose economies are awash primarily in petrodollars.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And now Blatter says that Qatar's "neighbors" may get a chance to host games in 2022. Yeah sure, why not open your pockets to the whole region for bribery if you're FIFA?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/12/09/qatar.2022.ap/index.html

What? That's ridiculous.

Here's a question: If FIFA had said that up front before the selection, would that have affected the way bids were made by the other countries? Instead of it being the privilege of a country to host, it's now a region?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And now Blatter says that Qatar's "neighbors" may get a chance to host games in 2022. Yeah sure, why not open your pockets to the whole region for bribery if you're FIFA?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/12/09/qatar.2022.ap/index.html

That is just plain cheating. You HAVE to make a joint bid if you aren't the sole host. You can't just wait until the voting just ended and change a nation's bid. That's illegal by FIFA's own laws! I hope they get their asses sued over this.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Gold Cup 2011

June 5-25

I am going to try to make at least one of the US group games.

While the tournament will return to Dallas Cowboys Stadium to open the championship on June 5, it also will play in Detroit (Ford Field); Tampa, Florida (Raymond James Stadium); Charlotte, North Carolina (Bank of America Stadium); and Kansas City, Kansas (KC Soccer Stadium), before concluding with the title match at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California

http://www.concacaf.com/page/GoldCup/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2225472,00.html

Gold Cup participants in 2011 are the United States, Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, Cuba, Grenada, Guadeloupe and five Central American teams to be determined next month.

I have to question Detroit as a choice and ignoring Seattle (or Portland for that matter).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
June 5-25

I am going to try to make at least one of the US group games.

http://www.concacaf.com/page/GoldCup/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2225472,00.html

Gold Cup participants in 2011 are the United States, Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, Cuba, Grenada, Guadeloupe and five Central American teams to be determined next month.

I have to question Detroit as a choice and ignoring Seattle (or Portland for that matter).

Or Cardinals Stadium. Went there for the US/Mexico game, it was a fabulous venue.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Or Cardinals Stadium. Went there for the US/Mexico game, it was a fabulous venue.

It was a venue for the last Gold Cup and didn't do so hot attendance wise. 23,000 or so, lowest of any venue in its group....sort of in the lower third of all venues for attendance.

Of course now looking back I can see why Seattle didn't get picked--less than 16K and for a US match.

Columbus, Miami & Seattle all had the worst attendance...Miami though was in a smaller arena and only seated 20K and they sold 17K+...Columbus was an embarassment, less than 8K.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cant blame the fans for not wanting to go to the previous GC games here. I think it was Panama/Haiti and Mexico/Guadaloupe with half-assed squads? meh

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Chicago? Do think there is enough corruption with Soccer from the WC or something?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Roster for January camp...

As usual for the January camp it is mostly MLS players and guys getting an opportunity to make an impression.

GOALKEEPERS (4): Dominic Cervi (Celtic), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Matt Pickens (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (9): A.J. DeLaGarza (Los Angeles Galaxy), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles Galaxy), Ugo Ihemelu (FC Dallas), Zach Loyd (FC Dallas), Ryan Miller (Halmstads BK), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Anthony Wallace (Colorado Rapids), Marvell Wynne (Colorado Rapids)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Eric Alexander (FC Dallas), Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Sam Cronin (San Jose Earthquakes), Mikkel Diskerud (Stabaek), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Dax McCarty (D.C. United), Brek Shea (FC Dallas)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Justin Braun (Chivas USA), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...s-Training-Camp-at-The-Home-Depot-Center.aspx

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It is nice to see so much new blood, the top cap getter is Bedoya with 6 and the only one to ever score is Agudelo.

A lot of new faces, building depth for this summer and beyond.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ok, that was pretty pathetic after the first or second time, but 3 minutes of repeating it? What a waste of a minute and a half.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ok, that was pretty pathetic after the first or second time, but 3 minutes of repeating it? What a waste of a minute and a half.

Yeah, I kept waiting for the funny part...still waiting.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tough crowd for "Its the world cup, bro" guy.

Anyway, looks like ***** isn't cutting it in Milan anymore:

According to a report in il Corriere dello Sport, USA defender Oguchi Onyewu is on the verge of a move from Milan to Swiss side FC Zurich. It is unclear whether the move would be a loan or a straight sale.

link

At least the move would be to a team consistently in the CL.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Tough crowd for "Its the world cup, bro" guy.

Not really, it's just not funny. It was mildly amusing the first time, but playing the same joke over and over again makes it less funny each respective time. Did you really think it was funny?

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not really, it's just not funny. It was mildly amusing the first time, but playing the same joke over and over again makes it less funny each respective time. Did you really think it was funny?

I didnt watch the entire video. Him whining like a little bitch was pretty humorous though. After i noticed it was looping, i just turned it off.