The Official US Soccer thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/28/six-ways-fix-american-soccer/

Six ways to fix US Soccer:
1. Admit there is a problem
Before it can be fixed, there must be an admission that it is broken – something the power brokers of American soccer have been loath to do.
The national team also lost to Panama – Panama – in Gold Cup group play and was underwhelming in its victories. And before that, it won one of eight games since the 2010 World Cup.
The under-20 team failed to qualify for the U-20 World Cup out of arguably the planet’s weakest region.
The under-17 team just lost to Uzbekistan and tied New Zealand 0-0 in the U-17 World Cup in Mexico.
The U.S. women’s national team, with more high-level players than the rest of the world combined, nearly didn’t qualify for the World Cup and is at its most vulnerable point in the program’s history. The women’s U-20s were knocked out in the quarterfinals – their earliest exit ever – by Nigeria. The U-17s failed to qualify.
Yeah, there might be a problem.
2. Fire Bob Bradley

The rest of the article is spot on as well...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Oh man, that article made me mad. 4-6-0. Playing players who will be 33 for the next World Cup. Ugh.

I suppose we should thank Shzm13's team from Mexico for drawing attention to the problems.

Ugh.

It was more important to get to the Confed Cup than blood youngsters. That isn't something I can fault Bradley for. It was some of his choices of players who made up the depth of the team that I can't understand, Wondolowski, Rogers, Bornstein, Onyewu(who wasn't fit or healthy), Kljestan...not the inclusion of Goodson & Bocanegra. That article is off base.

The 2013 edition of the Gold Cup we should see a much younger squad, guys just on the cusp of making the jump to the full team.

The other times we will see younger players getting looks is in the Olympic Qualifying next year--it's an Under 23 tournament (meaning Adu, Agudelo, Altidore, Lichaj, Chandler are all age eligible).

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was more important to get to the Confed Cup than blood youngsters. That isn't something I can fault Bradley for. It was some of his choices of players who made up the depth of the team that I can't understand, Wondolowski, Rogers, Bornstein, Onyewu(who wasn't fit or healthy), Kljestan...not the inclusion of Goodson & Bocanegra. That article is off base.

The 2013 edition of the Gold Cup we should see a much younger squad, guys just on the cusp of making the jump to the full team.

The other times we will see younger players getting looks is in the Olympic Qualifying next year--it's an Under 23 tournament (meaning Adu, Agudelo, Altidore, Lichaj, Chandler are all age eligible).
So you wait until a year before the WC to start blooding youngsters? Wouldn't 2013 be the time for the US team to gelling in prep for WC?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So you wait until a year before the WC to start blooding youngsters? Wouldn't 2013 be the time for the US team to gelling in prep for WC?

The 2013 Gold Cup doesn't mean anything, it is a chance for those guys on the fringe to get experience so they can contribute in 2014. You won't see Dempsey, Howard or Donovan on that team--they will either be off (in the case of Euro based players) or allowed to remain with their clubs. That is how players like Holden & Goodson got on to the WC roster, prior to that tourney Holden had zero caps and Goodson 2.

You don't put in kids in a tournament that gives you a chance to qualify for the Confed Cup, the Confed Cup is in Brazil the year before the WC, chances are 20 of those 23 will be on the WC roster and that is when they will have a chance to gell. Playing them now before they are ready is counterproductive...of course since we didn't win the GC the point is moot. By the time 2013 rolls around we'll have guys with more Int'l experience, a couple more years as pro's and they will be ready to take spots from players like Bocanegra & Goodson but they aren't there yet.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US U17's getting their butts handed to them by Germany 3-0 at halftime. They are one of the worst passing teams I have seen at this level, inexcusable...and these are the kids at our residential academy?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
US U17's getting their butts handed to them by Germany 3-0 at halftime. They are one of the worst passing teams I have seen at this level, inexcusable...and these are the kids at our residential academy?

Who is the coach? Do we just have a bunch of U.S.-based coaches throughout our system? If so, what can we expect?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Who is the coach? Do we just have a bunch of U.S.-based coaches throughout our system? If so, what can we expect?

Wilmer Cabrera, he was a Colombian Int'l

The U20 coach was Rongen (Dutch) but he has since been replaced by for US Int'l Tab Ramos (interim coach).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I ran in to Charlie Davies today in the Tysons Galleria in Virginia. I almost didn't notice him at first because the girl he was with was drop dead gourgeous. He was a nice guy, very approachable and outgoing.

Stout

Reaction score
I ran in to Charlie Davies today in the Tysons Galleria in Virginia. I almost didn't notice him at first because the girl he was with was drop dead gourgeous. He was a nice guy, very approachable and outgoing.

Tell him to threaten Bradley (or whomever might become our coach) until he's back on the squad!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I really don't understand the pissing match with Klinsmann

Bring him in and give him some oversight or control .... it's pretty obvious that what we are doing in player development just isn't working .... IMO, I think it's great that you would have someone who not only wants to coach this team today, but lay the framework for years of success and understands how to get there

I also think that a german style of game would fit the athlete pool here nicely

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I really don't understand the pissing match with Klinsmann

Bring him in and give him some oversight or control .... it's pretty obvious that what we are doing in player development just isn't working .... IMO, I think it's great that you would have someone who not only wants to coach this team today, but lay the framework for years of success and understands how to get there

I also think that a german style of game would fit the athlete pool here nicely

The one demand US soccer balked at with Klinsmann was he wanted to be able to appoint the coaches from the U17 level up and decide what style of play they would use (meaning the same style the full side used)...not sure what the issue is with that. It SHOULD be done that way, if a kid is brought up playing a certain style of play by the time he makes his National team debut he should at the minimum be aware of his positional responsibility and his role tactically. I am not on the "It must be Klinsmann" bandwagon, in a perfect world it would be Guus Hiddink but I'd be happy with Bielsa or Donadoni too and US soccer needs to give them complete control.

On a good note for the future...They recently gave Claudio Reyna the title of US Youth Soccer technical director and he is trying to re-vamp the way we develop players in this country. He has a lot of really good ideas and spent a long while coming up with his plan, based on his experiences around the world (he played in Germany, Scotland and England so he has seen a lot of different styles). It'll be years before we see if it works or not but I am hopeful.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Gulati...

Gulati doesn't address the Bradley issue at all in his letter he sends out to the fans...

To our U.S. Soccer fans,

After receiving several complaints about unacceptable behavior towards U.S. fans at the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup final at the Rose Bowl, we felt it was necessary to address this issue directly with our supporters. While this was not an event run by U.S. Soccer, and therefore U.S. Soccer did not control the logistics of the match, the safety and security of our fans at any match is our top priority. Since we received the initial complaints, we have been in contact with the tournament organizers to discuss the necessary steps that should be taken to improve the experience at future events. We also know the Rose Bowl has reached out to several of the affected fans to discuss the matter.

U.S. Soccer is committed to providing a positive, safe and enjoyable atmosphere at all U.S. national team events that we host. We can assure you that we will continue to take all the necessary steps to address any potential security issues.

This year, U.S. Soccer launched the Respect Campaign, which includes a number of initiatives to enhance the fan experience, particularly in the area of customer service. Through our in-game texting service, fans can anonymously report any concerns or issues and receive immediate feedback and action from dedicated U.S. Soccer and stadium personnel. We invite all of you to learn more about the Respect Campaign at ussoccer.com.

It is important to remember that the overwhelming majority of supporters who attend matches in the United States showcase their love and appreciation for the game in the right way. Having said that, let us be clear: we will not tolerate dangerous or inappropriate behavior from anyone, regardless of the team they support. We must not allow the issues from the Gold Cup to influence future conduct at our events. Our supporters have helped us earn a reputation of being one of the most fan-friendly nations in soccer, and we are committed to maintaining that standard.

Please continue to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. Thanks again for all of your support. We look forward to hosting you at a U.S. Soccer event soon.

Sincerely,
Sunil Gulati
President, United States Soccer Federation

Guess the Mexico fans were up to no good.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US vs. Costa Rica on Sept. 6th in Carson. In addition, they get to take on Belgium in Brussels on Sept 6th, that will be a good matchup if the US brings their full squad. I am guessing that they will use a heavily MLS and U23 based team for the Costa Rica game, since Olympics qualifying starts early next year, and then the full team for Belgium. Looks like the FIFA calendar has international dates in October and November as well, so hopefully we'll see some more of the youth guys get some experience at the national team level before Olympic qualifying.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
US to host Mexico at more US-friendly location
Last month, Mexico beat the United States 4-2 in the Gold Cup final in Pasadena, Calif. Next month, the U.S. will have a swift chance at revenge, when Mexico visits Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.

The two rivals will be playing each other for the 59th time. The U.S. holds a 15-32-11 all-time record against El Tri.

link

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am not exactly optimistic, this team will go forward with the same conservative thinking coach. I love US Soccer but it is looking more and more like the Steve Sampson era now.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm pleased that we'll get to play Mexico, especially in a friendly stadium.

As far as the coaching situation is concerned, Gulati failed to learn the Arena lesson. He took our squad and raised it as high as it had been since 1950, in the '02 WC. The problem was, that was as far as he could take us; it was clear that he became stale and had nothing more to offer the team. The team needed a fresh outlook, and a coach that could import what we do not and cannot offer here in the U.S.: a top, winning, international perspective. Instead we got Bradley, and this team has not grown. We had a WC in '06 just about as horrific as the one in '98, and a disappointing WC in '10.

Have we learned our lessons? Of course not. They're making the same idiotic decisions as they did before. WE DO NOT HAVE AN AMERICAN COACH CAPABLE OF TAKING THIS TEAM WHERE IT NEEDS TO GO!!!!! Until Gulati realizes this, we will remain mired in mediocrity.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
August 10th is a FIFA international date (48 hour window) so hopefully we'll see the full squad rather than one of those lame MLS affairs.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even though its a FIFA date, I doubt both teams take their best players. At that point, teams integrating into the regular season and it would be terribly inconvenient for them to travel from Europe for a friendly. That being said, it's looking like good news for you US fans, since we'll likely be sending the current (and shameful) Copa America team, sans Dos Santos.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The US Women are getting screwed. The red card, retaking a penalty, not calling offside on the second goal. All inexcusable officiating decisions for any game let alone a World Cup

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The US Women are getting screwed. The red card, retaking a penalty, not calling offside on the second goal. All inexcusable officiating decisions for any game let alone a World Cup

This is the first soccer match I've watched in a while and wow it will be a while before I watch it again. Total and complete OBVIOUS bias by the ref against the US. Lame.

The british guy commentating even said; "I'm not just pandering to our American audience, I'm being fair and I would say the same thing no matter who was playing, these have been some TERRIBLE decisions by the referee."

And now there is like 15 mins left and they have been playing basically on a power play this entire time and instead of actually playing, the Brazil women keep laying down and faking injury everytime they get near a US player. They writhe around on the ground like they are dying for 5 mins then they get up and smile and play on.... Seriously this game is a freaking joke.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely disgusting. Player needs a stretcher then immediately runs back on to the field. FIFA needs to suspend players for that garbage.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake