The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Should be at least 2-0.

Keep up the pressure and one will go in eventually.

Pretty cool that ASU's own Amy Lepeilbet is starting a WC final.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody find Alex Morgan a men's team jersey. There's no way this should be going to extra time though.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the hell is all this extra time crap.

Probably why I am not a fan of soccer. When does the clock run out?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must have missed something, how was that not a corner at the end there?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for Japan, they deserve some good news. But what a disappointment by the US. How did the ref not see the GK off her line on the first shot?

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
That was terrible coaching having Boxx take the first penalty. I knew she would miss. Both of her penaltys against Brazil were bad, just like this one.

Not surprised the US choked. They lost their composure whenever they had the lead. They played the whole game trying not to lose and you see the result.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm going to take back my choke comment. The US played a hell of a game and had a tournament they can be proud of. But just couldn't get anything to go in the first half :bang:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just sad. Happy for Japan though--I'm so glad it was a good, clean game.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was certainly a much better game than the last men's final, that's for sure.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The U.S. women's soccer team, which plays Japan in Sunday's World Cup final, has riveted fans of both sexes this year with nail-biting wins over Brazil and France.

But the excitement has some men particularly worked up as they fret over one of the finer points of fandom: What in the world is a beer-drinking, chest-hair-sporting Abby Wambach fan supposed to wear?

Tom Bush, a 29-year-old advertising copywriter and avid soccer fan from Rochester, N.Y., framed the dilemma earlier this week on Twitter: "Is it weird that a woman can buy a men's U.S. soccer jersey, but they don't make a male version of women's jersey?"

Despite the women's team's transcendent appeal, Nike Inc., U.S. Soccer's official jersey and apparel licensee, doesn't sell a stitch of team-specific clothing to suit the team's male fans.
Men buying women's soccer jerseys?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Disappointing outcome but a great run for the women.

I watched the game from Jesters pool hall today because I play in a pool league with my dad on Sundays (untill football starts ofcourse) It was actually pretty cool. This place is a typical pool hall, a bunch of cowboys and 20 somethings hanging out and playing pool, drinking beer but towards the end of the game almost all of these "macho men" were gathered around the bar watching the shootout.

So yes, the women have reached out a little farther than little girls with this run. Good for them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for Japan, they deserve some good news. But what a disappointment by the US. How did the ref not see the GK off her line on the first shot?

She was on the line. Only one foot needs to be on the line. Kaihori's right foot was still on the line when she dove.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a friend of mine has an interesting idea of how to solve the should they end games with PK's dilemma. Do the PK's BEFORE the match. The idea is that if a team knows it's lost PK's, they will play differently so you're less likely to have a tie in the first place.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a friend of mine has an interesting idea of how to solve the should they end games with PK's dilemma. Do the PK's BEFORE the match. The idea is that if a team knows it's lost PK's, they will play differently so you're less likely to have a tie in the first place.

Too radical. I like it though. It would lead to some serious bunkering though me thinks.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:nono:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too radical. I like it though. It would lead to some serious bunkering though me thinks.

He is one of those outside the box thinkers he thinks football should do something similar the problem there is it's such a demanding game that playing the tiebreaker first would impact the health of players in the real game.

But it's an interesting concept for a championship game, if you knew you lost the tiebreaker you'd play a totally different game late to make sure you win.

Overall I was impressed I almost never watch womens sports but I really liked the style of play, not nearly as much flopping as in the mens game and it was a very compelling tournament to watch. I wish the US had won but I wasnt' crushed they didn't because I don't have as much invested in womens soccer.

Really enjoyed it though, glad I watched. typically tennis is the one sport where I watch the women.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Good tournament and all in all well played & entertaining final

Funny how things work out and this one is probably on the disapointment side of the scale .... if they would of lost to brazil the emotions would of been a lot different, especially the way brazil played/acted

instead they advance to the finals, control the bulk of the match and get sloppy a couple times and it bites them .... which leads to a bigger letdown than if they would of just lost earlier

definitely did garner some interest though ... I was in costco when it first started and there were people huddled around almost every TV

some tactical stuff I didn't agree with (like boxx setting the tone on the PKs, the team looked really uncomfortable trying to play conservative & protect the lead - i'm a big believer in just play your game, be aggressive and the best way to protect a 1 goal lead is to make it a 2 goal lead .... especially when you didn't have to act reckless or be ulta aggressive to get scoring chances)

all in all a good result though and I think rapinoe had a very good tournament with some of her passes and ball control - maybe a little overlooked as we tend to see the finisher more than the setup

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
typically tennis is the one sport where I watch the women.

Same - although that is starting to change as the womens game is mirroring the mens game a little bit more and it seems the quality has gone down recently as well

I also dig softball - it's not like a cheap version of baseball, it's a related sport but so much different ... enough nuance there to keep me entertained

I also worked a local LPGA event in HS and those ladies were by and large awesome

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Same - although that is starting to change as the womens game is mirroring the mens game a little bit more and it seems the quality has gone down recently as well

I also dig softball - it's not like a cheap version of baseball, it's a related sport but so much different ... enough nuance there to keep me entertained

I also worked a local LPGA event in HS and those ladies were by and large awesome

I don't watch much womens soccer myself, I used to watch a lot more when Hamm, Foudy, Akers, Venturini and crew played in the 90's...I've never watched a single minute of the womens pro league, not even sure if they have a TV deal or not. BUT I'd watch a US womens Int'l match before I'd watch a second of basketball.

I would watch Olympic Softball if it was still an Olympic sport and I don't watch mens golf so I don't figure I'd watch LPGA either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake