The Official US Soccer thread

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Chandler at LB. I like Fabian Johnson at LB more. He is a perfect option and has the tools to push up when needed.
Well the beauty of it is that Chandler is a natural RB, so they could play both. If he'd decide to play...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a tool. He's not going to ever, ever get a sniff from the German national team. He'll end up blinking and finding himself older, want to play, and be spurned by the U.S. too. He can take his whiny ass to his couch this summer.

Lahm is getting up there in age, so he could possibly get a look, but it is very doubtful.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say whether he's waiting for Germany (I think his chances are slim) or if he's one of those guys who just flat out doesn't put the career emphasis on playing internationally that he does for his club. He certainly wouldn't be the first. Considering he's at the age where one or two more very good club campaigns could put him in line for a "set for life" conract, it's not necessarily that unreasonable of a mindset.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
UPDATED U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)
MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (7): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Looking forward to the game against Scotland. I think this is the first time that Donovan and Dempsey will be on the field together since the coaching change.

My 2 biggest beefs on this roster are Beckerman and Castillo, otherwise this is a solid roster. I am not a big Wondolowski fan outside of MLS but it isn't like the US is loaded at forward so I can understand. I sure would have liked to see Lichaj and Chandler there.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Also the inaugural edition of the Pan American Championship will be held in the US in 2016. It will be a true Championship of the Americas with 16 teams competing (preliminary says 10 CONMEBOL and 6 CONCACAF). Almost as good as combining Copa America and the Gold Cup...almost like our version of the Euros. Great preparation for the World Cup in 2018.

Here is a short wiki page on it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Pan_American_Championship

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also the inaugural edition of the Pan American Championship will be held in the US in 2016. It will be a true Championship of the Americas with 16 teams competing (preliminary says 10 CONMEBOL and 6 CONCACAF). Almost as good as combining Copa America and the Gold Cup...almost like our version of the Euros. Great preparation for the World Cup in 2018.

Here is a short wiki page on it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Pan_American_Championship

Has that been finalized? I know they are in talks.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What the hell?!?!?! Agudelo especially needs the experience from these international games!

He hasn't been particularly sharp, lacks fitness and just got traded to a new team. He needs playing time. I can understand that.

I would rather have Zusi, Williams or Morales over Beckerman though.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Dempsey won't play vs. Scotland.

Neither will Altidore, his club wouldn't release him early even though their season had already ended, so he has missed all the training. Strange for a club to do that.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude..... WTH man. I was hoping for Dempsey & Donovan. These guys need to get some games in before qualifying begins.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Starters.....

U.S. starters for tonight: Howard; Cherundolo, Cameron, Bocanegra (capt.), Johnson; Edu, Bradley, Jones; Donovan, Boyd, Torres

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So presumably a 4-5-1 with some sort of diamond in the middle.

Edit: hah guess they're calling it a 4-1-2-2-1

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the red unis would look better with blue numbers instead of that grey

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Donovan!

I already hate that you can't read the freaking numbers.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Man those jerseys are hideous. The blue number idea might make them a bit better..... But damn. That crap reminds me of the 80's.

Bradley's goal was perfect. I wish it would have come in a qualifier. lol

Landon is more than a great scorer for us. His deliveries have been great also.

I really like Boyd...... I just think he is an Altidore clone. Not sure if they will be able to play at the same time. We need a smaller quicker striker to play off of their athleticism.

Very fun first half!

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Donovan gets his 2nd. Some really nice passing today. Very entertaining.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake