The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That was a dominant performance, especially considering no Dempsey or Altidore. I think Boyd has a ton of potential but he always seemed to take one touch too many when he had an opportunity in the box...I think all he needs is more experience. He and Altidore will be a handful in 2 years...when they are 23 & 24 respectively.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That was a dominant performance, especially considering no Dempsey or Altidore. I think Boyd has a ton of potential but he always seemed to take one touch too many when he had an opportunity in the box...I think all he needs is more experience. He and Altidore will be a handful in 2 years...when they are 23 & 24 respectively.

Do you feel that their skills may prove redundant? I feel like we need to pair them with a shifty-quick type striker to fully challenge the back line of our opponents. Do you think Gomez could fill that role?

Finally..... Great 2nd half. This might be my favorite Jermaine Jones performance ever.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Do you feel that their skills may prove redundant? I feel like we need to pair them with a shifty-quick type striker to fully challenge the back line of our opponents. Do you think Gomez could fill that role?

Finally..... Great 2nd half. This might be my favorite Jermaine Jones performance ever.

I had a similiar opinion of Boyd during the match. There were a handful of breakaway, counter opportunities that a (pre-accident Charlie Davies) striker with pace would have torched the Scotland defense.

When the rumors of Jermaine Jones coming to the USMNT started, I thought he would be among the top three players for the squad. Don't know if it has been getting acclimated to his new team mates, regaining form after a bad injury or Jurgen's arrival - but his improvement is very exciting.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I think their play will actually complement each other and free up a lot of space for the MF. Watching what I could of Altidore at AZ he seemed to be a lot more than a hold up target type of forward, he seemed to move really well off the ball and took players on one on one to create his own shot. I've only seen Boyd with the Olympic team and his couple of Nat appearances so it is hard to fully judge his style of play.

Of course JK likes playing a 4-3-3 so I am not sure which one is suited for the wing.

Oh and we finally have a left back in Johnson. If Chandler comes back and can take over when Cherundolo hangs it up (or even Lichaj) I will be really excited about our defense.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Team looked amazing. Great passing and creativity throughout the game. Each player in the MF and up top seemed to really compliment each other. Donovan and Torres had so much space, but damn the passing was good. In Klinz I trust.Great performance.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Brazil of course will be a huge test. At least we should have the full squad available with Altidore & Dempsey...assuming Clint is healthy enough to play (if he isn't hold him out until the qualifiers against Antigua and Guatemala).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Dude..... WTH man. I was hoping for Dempsey & Donovan. These guys need to get some games in before qualifying begins.

Lingering groin injury. I think it was just a precaution in this game.

Wow, and I mean, WOW! Should have been a shutout (Cameron shouldn't see the pitch again). Our counterattack is devastating. We have some young, up-and-coming strike options to go with Altidore, Dempsey and Donovan up front (announcers seem to think Dempsey is a striker for us, and Donovan started up front with Torres and Boyd). Suddenly striker may become a better position for us. Johnson? He's our left back now. Period. Bradley is solid in the center. Yeah, good game, and a great confidence builder. Now we need to keep it rolling going into qualifiers.

Didn't know that about Agudelo, so that makes sense.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random thoughts --

Howard/Guzan -- The brotherhood of bald goalkeepers had very little to do. Howard collected a couple of crosses, and had the nice superman dive/punch on another. I don't think Guzan had to handle the ball except for a few stragglers. So good work from the back line.

Cherundolo -- Dealt well with the few challenges that came down his side, and got forward a little more than usual. He looks ready for the qualifiers.

Cameron -- Obviously had the bad mistake where he totally lost Miller then allowed the ball to bank off him into the net. Otherwise no surprises, he was more adventurous moving up than I cared to see though.

Bocanegra -- Another member of the old guard that's ready for qualifying. Very little came his way, had his assignment locked down well.

Johnson -- Left back no longer looks like a weakness does it? In addition to shutting down his side, his handful of runs with the ball were breathtaking, including one where Scotland had to concede a free kick just outside the arc. He absolutely must be cap tied to the US in the first qualifier.

Donovan -- What a statement. Goals 47, 48, and 49, and he made them all look easy (and I'm sure they weren't). Not only that, but he had the primary assist on the Jones header, plus the perfect cross to Jones on the Bradley goal. I can't wait to see what happens when Donovan and Dempsey are finally on the same pitch in the Klinsmann era.

Bradley -- Another fantastic performance, cementing his status as both the best and most versatile CM in the US pool. The amazing thing about the goal (well, one of) is that it somehow looked good the instant it left his foot. If this were hockey he'd have two secondary assists on the first two Donovan goals, plus the primary assist on the hat trick goal.

Jones -- If this wasn't his best performance in a US shirt then I'm struggling to think what could have possibly topped it. He had the assist on the first three goals, plus the header of course. This is the Jones we were hoping to get when he switched, and this team can do a lot of damage if he keeps playing like this.

Edu -- Filled in well at the defensive midfielder spot, his play didn't stick out in my mind much which is a good thing.

Torres -- He was aggressive yet sneaky, as we saw from him forcing the turnover that led to the first goal. He worked well with Johnson, but with Dempsey set to come back soon did he do quite enough to keep his spot? It's either him or Edu, and Dempsey for Torres would be the simple swap.

Boyd -- He worked hard but not a lot to show for it. Good experience though, having someone who can competently fill in for Altidore will be very useful.

Subs -- Somebody please get Castillo a cheeseburger or something, he looks tiny. Beckerman had two solid blocks but it's obviously hard to gauge his night when after 75 minutes or so Scotland was content to just pass around the ball in the back and the US was content to let them. Great to see Onyewu's towering leap on that header, hopefully that means the big guy's back. Let's get Corona capped as well. Gomez showed good desire in his limited time, passing the ball on to Donovan on that sliding play which led to the Jones header, he was also involved in the third Donovan goal if I'm not mistaken.

NBC -- After all ESPN's done to boost the USMNT (and WNT) profile over the last decade or so (one of their few redeeming qualities in my mind), I'm not a big fan of them being unceremoniously dumped for NBC. Unfortunately that's just how business goes. Arlo White is convincing, but it must be said that Donovan's hat trick deserved the special touch that Ian Darke provides.

Zero of the Match -- The idiot that thought light grey numbers on a white background would be a good idea. Come on Nike. It was easier to read the numbers even in that miserable fog game against Slovenia last year.

Obviously the US won't be able to do the same thing to Brazil, but it was fantastic to see all of the offensive talent finally shine through. If the US can continue to combine the vision and fluid passing that we just saw with their historical strengths of endurance and goalkeeping, they're going to be an extremely tough team to beat.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I 100% agree on your take on the players.

I hope to see Dempsey in for Edu moving Torres back to MF, Torres was sharp most of the night and plays with a confidence we never saw under Bob Bradley. Edu is the most logical sub if Bradley or Jones are tiring or get a knock.

Did they credit Jones with an assist on that first goal by Donovan? I thought it was unassisted.

The numbers on that jersey should be dark blue, like on the flag. That silver was almost impossible to read on TV.

I think Onyewu starts against Brazil, he has experience going against Hulk...who never scored against Sporting CP when ***** was on the field I believe.

I am willing to bet against Brazil JK doesn't have the team sit back and defend and he at least tries to have them take the game to them...we will see how succesful that tactic will be. I like his attitude of making the other team adjust to you but at the same time when you play a higher quality opponent you have no choice but make adjustments. Win or lose I expect it to be an entertaining match.

Stout

Reaction score

I hope to see Dempsey in for Edu moving Torres back to MF, Torres was sharp most of the night and plays with a confidence we never saw under Bob Bradley. Edu is the most logical sub if Bradley or Jones are tiring or get a knock.

See, I disagree. Not because of how Torres played, as I was pleased with his performance. I just think Edu has been doing such a great job at that defensive midfielder role, and with the style Klinsmann is pushing, we're going to need that one defensive midfielder.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
See, I disagree. Not because of how Torres played, as I was pleased with his performance. I just think Edu has been doing such a great job at that defensive midfielder role, and with the style Klinsmann is pushing, we're going to need that one defensive midfielder.

Jones is that defensive MF and is better at that than Edu. Bradley also plays a deeper lying MF and can't truly be called an orchestrator from the MF, Torres is the best we have in that role currently.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I guess the topic of who to sit for Dempsey is moot as it looks like he won't be a starter against Brazil....probably not Altidore either.

As long as they are well enough to go 90 for the away match in Guatemala, I will be ok.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did they credit Jones with an assist on that first goal by Donovan? I thought it was unassisted.

The numbers on that jersey should be dark blue, like on the flag. That silver was almost impossible to read on TV.

I think Onyewu starts against Brazil, he has experience going against Hulk...who never scored against Sporting CP when ***** was on the field I believe.

I am willing to bet against Brazil JK doesn't have the team sit back and defend and he at least tries to have them take the game to them...we will see how succesful that tactic will be. I like his attitude of making the other team adjust to you but at the same time when you play a higher quality opponent you have no choice but make adjustments. Win or lose I expect it to be an entertaining match.
Jones didn't get an assist on the first goal, presumably because Donovan banked his first attempt off the keeper. I've never been a fan of the way they give out assists, for statistical reasons, but that's a story for another time.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I guess the topic of who to sit for Dempsey is moot as it looks like he won't be a starter against Brazil....probably not Altidore either.

As long as they are well enough to go 90 for the away match in Guatemala, I will be ok.

100% agree.

My take on the Jerseys.......

You must be registered for see images

THEY SUCK!!!

Stout

Reaction score
Jones is that defensive MF and is better at that than Edu. Bradley also plays a deeper lying MF and can't truly be called an orchestrator from the MF, Torres is the best we have in that role currently.

??? This is the first game I can recall Jones being anything but completely useless. Running past plays, no skill on the ball, running into traffic, and giving up cheap fouls...constantly. He had a great game, but it is still just one game. Edu has a track record of consistently good performances. The two aren't even remotely comparable.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
??? This is the first game I can recall Jones being anything but completely useless. Running past plays, no skill on the ball, running into traffic, and giving up cheap fouls...constantly. He had a great game, but it is still just one game. Edu has a track record of consistently good performances. The two aren't even remotely comparable.

Edu has consistent performance for the USMNT? News to me. He is consistently inconsistent...normally when Edu starts he is disappointing, his best performances always seem to come off the bench.

It was Jones best game for the Nats but he performs at a high level for his club team in a strong league, we knew what he was capable of.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

I kind of agree with Zeno on this one. I was at the Gold Cup game versus Jamaica. Jones was active the whole game and got the Goal that won it. It was our best game of that tourney.

Edu has been in and out with me. I like that I never hear his name being called but I also don't see the offensive plays either. My best memory of him is the goal that wasn't in the World Cup. That's it.

I would go with Jones based on current activity level, rugged play (he can be a bruiser for us), ability to complement the talent on the pitch, and finally, I think he is a much better defender that doesn't give up nearly as much space in the midfield area.

I thought Torres made some very refined plays in the last game. I would hate for him to go back to the bench. He had a back pass to Donovan I think that set him up perfectly.

Stout

Reaction score
Wow. I have just never, ever been impressed with Jones before this game. I mean, at all. He seems to have no refinement. Edu is never a flashy player, it is true, but that's not what I'm looking for in a purely defensive midfielder. I do think we need one constantly in the lineup--a purely defensive midfielder--and Jones isn't a defensive guy much at all.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow. I have just never, ever been impressed with Jones before this game. I mean, at all. He seems to have no refinement. Edu is never a flashy player, it is true, but that's not what I'm looking for in a purely defensive midfielder. I do think we need one constantly in the lineup--a purely defensive midfielder--and Jones isn't a defensive guy much at all.

That is all Jones is, a defensive MF, a destroyer...that is his role at Schalke, and he does it quite well. He isn't a finesse guy, never will be.

Stout

Reaction score
That is all Jones is, a defensive MF, a destroyer...that is his role at Schalke, and he does it quite well. He isn't a finesse guy, never will be.

Perhaps that's why I think he sucks so much--he doesn't do that for the national team. He had a good offensive game this past time. He's usually a poor tackler that gives up cheap fouls, and continually tries to go forward to no avail. Maybe he's done it at the club level, but he hasn't done it well, if at all, with the national team yet.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I was thinking NBC won the whole US soccer package with the WC

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
From my seat in this Buffalo wild wings in VA........ the pitch looks terrible.

Numbers are better but I hate the horizontal stripes!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake