The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
2-0 Canada, Opara loses his man on a corner and it results in a goal.

86 minutes in.

Looks like it will be do or die in game 3 against El Salvador.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Not sure what was worse: watching the US play the second half without Joe Corona or listening to that pompous, limey announcer for the entire match. Who told him, being condecending toward the nationality of the match's audience base was entertaining or a good idea?

Removing Corona for "tactical reasons" reminds me of Ricky Ricardo. Lucy! Ju got some 'splanning to do.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not sure what was worse: watching the US play the second half without Joe Corona or listening to that pompous, limey announcer for the entire match. Who told him, being condecending toward the nationality of the match's audience base was entertaining or a good idea?

Removing Corona for "tactical reasons" reminds me of Ricky Ricardo. Lucy! Ju got some 'splanning to do.

I assume that was the CONCACAF feed? I watched the Universal Sports feed and it was Allen Hopkins and Glenn Davis.

You just know El Salvador is going to bunker in game 3 and play for the tie....which would eliminate the US and have Canada & El Sal go through. The US is going to have to be much better in the attacking half, don't start Bunbury and replace Jeffrey with Okugo. Not sure what options there are to replace Opara.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It's like we took a crap on the field....... What a horrible game to watch.

The El Sal game is going to be a war.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why hasn't JK called up Herculez Gomez? Guy is playing great for Santos this year.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Why hasn't JK called up Herculez Gomez? Guy is playing great for Santos this year.

Thats a good question. Early on the excuse was he wasn't starting but now he is not only starting but scoring regularly. I'd rather see him than Buddle as it stands right now.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
El Salvador has some chutzpah. Deck Boyd in the face, then flop to the ground.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... hopefully we'll never need to see Sean Johnson in a US shirt again...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Ouch. No Olympics for us.

Why did the coach sit on those 2 subs so long?

This really does suck...I am disgusted.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah my anticipation of the Olympics this summer just shrunk to about 10% of what it was.

Porter can't possibly survive this can he?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That last goal was horrible. Reminded me of the US goal against England in the world cup.

Our defense and goalkeeping will be crap just about the time we finally find some effective strikers.

From the ESPN story.....

Crucially, keeper Bill Hamid tweaked his left ankle in the 31st minute. Within six minutes, El Salvador would twice punish his refusal to come off, or coach Caleb Porter's failure to substitute him. Undoubtedly, this will be picked apart in the coming weeks

Last edited:

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
The first two El Salvador goals had nothing to do with Hamid's ankle, IMO. On the corner, his hands were down by his waist while the ball was still in flight and did not raise above his shoulders until the ball was in the net. The second goal was just a cluster **** of everyone looking for the other person to take charge. Alot of blame should go to the back four, but at that distance it is ultimately the keeper's responsibility to step up and command that area. The third goal was another example of poor technique by the net-minder.

The thing that really got me steamed was the substitution of Corona. Any other player I could understand, but Porter subbed Joe in the Canada game before the outcome was decided and that bit his team in the ass. When Corona came off the pitch during the El Salvador match, my thinking was the old definition of insanity. Doing the exact same thing but expecting different results.

Caleb Porter is a rising star and excuses can be made that he was unable to field the Starting XI he wanted, due to club committments. However, the lack of team hustle (much of the defensive problems were in part due to the midfield refusal to help out) and inability to learn from mistakes, falls squarely on Porter's shoulders.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Love the new jerseys, the colors of the flag are what our uniforms should always be anyway.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the same design is for both the MNT and WNT. It's easy to make any jersey look good when it's on Alex Morgan.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake