The Official US Soccer thread

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What an underwhelming affair. We should have lost. On that late cross one of the Canadian players went all "Wondolowski" from 2 feet out otherwise it would have been a complete embarrassment.

All I kept thinking in the 2nd half was something I read last week......

“We saw many elements of what we have been talking about. A fast paced game, nice tempo, one-two touch combinations through midfield, finding our forwards, having pace in the build up from the back, no long balls,” said Klinsmann.
http://football.thestar.com.my/2012/05/27/klinsmanns-impact-showing-for-improving-u-s/

The whole 2nd half was long balls.

Did we change coaches?

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What an ugly match.

I thought Donovan played the worst game he has for the national team in a long time.

Gomez was invisible but I am not entirely sure it was his fault.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I kind of have to take back what I said about Jones. He had an awful second half. If anything, he's just not playing as a defensive midfielder. If he can't drop back into that role to let Bradley play more forward, then Edu needs to be in the lineup.

I also failed to mention how awful Cherundelo was in the fist half. He didn't do anything to distinguish himself in the 2nd half, but at least he wasn't getting whipped like in the 1st half.

Torres started to string together a few passes, but he lapsed again into just giving the ball away before he was subbed.

Altidore might not be ready, but we couldn't tell because he had no help. His club really screwed him over.

I think Goodson did a pretty creditable job, and should start over ***** now.

I'm ready for Edu to come back into the starting lineup, because the alternative JK is using in dropping Bradley back there is killing our attack.

I put this game down to two things: JK using really poor tactics and fatigue. The 4-4-2 isn't us right now; we need to go back to the 4-3-3 for the time being, as that is what has worked for us. I have no motherloving idea why JK has dropped Bradley back so deep. It's stupid and a waste of his talents.

I hope it was just a matter of tinkering and experimenting in this last friendly.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Unbelievable. I cannot find an injury update for Johnson--anywhere! I do a regular search, and the only stuff that pops up is for what happened game day, and old injuries. So I go over to the U.S. Soccer site, and NOTHING! Geesh! Anyone happen to read anything about his status?

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This happened last time around. Basically, FIFA rules say that for WCQs, the host country owns the tv rights, even for the away broadcasts. Usually most countries cut a deal with ESPN and nobody notices. But Guatemala sold theirs to some PPV group instead. Idiotic system. I remember there being an uproar when some country did this to England a few years back.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Can't find any info on this. What is the source?

Soccer by Ives...

U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann all but ruled the two left-sided fullbacks out of the opening qualifier against Antigua and Barbuda at Raymond James Stadium on Friday night, as they continue to nurse respective injuries.

Fabian Johnson is recovering from a calf injury picked up in the warmups prior to last Sunday's friendly against Canada, while his replacement, Castillo, suffered a hamstring injury in Thursday night's practice session at University of South Florida's Corbett Soccer Stadium.

"It's very unlikely that they play," said Klinsmann. "Very, very unlikely."

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...doubtful-altidore-unlikely-to-start-more.html

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Torres was carried off the field in Tampa after the game.

I would rather play 10 than have Onyewu on the pitch anymore.

Edu looked good tonight IMO. Gomez is going to be hard to get off the field.

I would not be surprised at all if we lose in Guatemala.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with these CONCACAF games is that if you don't completely destroy them, it feels like a loss.

Stout

Reaction score
Torres was carried off the field in Tampa after the game.

I would rather play 10 than have Onyewu on the pitch anymore.

Edu looked good tonight IMO. Gomez is going to be hard to get off the field.

I would not be surprised at all if we lose in Guatemala.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. We dominated possession and made plenty of chances. That's a minimum standard when playing a minnow. We didn't keep a clean sheet, which is a blemish. We inexplicably refused to shoot the frickin' ball, which is just plain stupid, and we even refused to do it when our coach said we needed to at half time!

Oh well. Gomez has been a beast. We need Johnson back in the worst, worst way. Oh, and good to get Boyd and a handful of others cap tied to the U.S. Yet another reason to get Johnson on the field in Guatemala.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnson is already tied to the US as he had to fill out a one time switch with FIFA. I am not certain of all the rules regarding said paperwork, but for instance Chandler didn't have to do that so he isn't tied. I forgot about that earlier.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake