The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US Roster for Mexico friendly...

GOALKEEPERS (3):*Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (6):*Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steven Beithasour (San Jose Earthquakes), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim)

MIDFIELDERS (9):*DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4):*Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Interesting defensive choices no Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Onyewu, Lichaj or Goodson.

Really surprised no Bradley, even if he did just join a new team...no Demps or Altidore either.

Oh well...it will be a good experience for the young/inexperienced guys not too many places more hostile to Americans than Azteca.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We are going to get rolled with that back line. Fabian Johnson can't play every position.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We are going to get rolled with that back line. Fabian Johnson can't play every position.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I question the wisdom of US Soccer scheduling this type of friendly if they don't plan to put their best players on the field. Why even have Howard there? Anyone can pick the balls out of our net just as efficiently.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the MLSers and other youngsters have to learn how to handle being pelted by urine bags sometime.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting defensive choices no Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Onyewu, Lichaj or Goodson.

Really surprised no Bradley, even if he did just join a new team...no Demps or Altidore either.

Oh well...it will be a good experience for the young/inexperienced guys not too many places more hostile to Americans than Azteca.

Thanks for posting.

I'm surprised/bummed they didn't take a lot of their big names.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I question the wisdom of US Soccer scheduling this type of friendly if they don't plan to put their best players on the field. Why even have Howard there? Anyone can pick the balls out of our net just as efficiently.

You'd think FIFA would just tack on another day to a different international window rather than having this weird one off date right as all the Euro leagues are starting up again.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Mexico is dominating possession but hasn't punished us yet. Cameron is playing pretty well aside from that early slip...Beckerman still stinks and is pretty close to useless in the MF.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mexico is dominating possession but hasn't punished us yet. Cameron is playing pretty well aside from that early slip...Beckerman still stinks and is pretty close to useless in the MF.

HT Touches in attacking third: Mexico 125, US 26.

I thought the Bradley Era was over? Klinsmann yet to prove they came to play here to play and not to defend. Super boring half, Cameron looks good.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think so. Players are just coming off of vacation, out of rhythm, and haven't played together in nearly 2 months. With the olympic Gold medal game as somewhat of a distraction, this is a perfect trap game. Idk if the US will pull off the upset, but i think it'll be tough for Mexico to win.

And this is the reason why we never played friendlies in the Azteca.

Congrats on the win, but I can't help but wonder where Klinsmann's "attacking" tactics were at. Didn't see anything different than what Bradley had offered.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I guess that is why you bring Tim Howard! Wow! What a result with our less than A team in hostile ground. Can't deny Mexico dominated for most of the match but the US made the most of their only real chance and Howard came up huge.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is what Howard looks like when healthy and well-rested.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And this is the reason why we never played friendlies in the Azteca.

Congrats on the win, but I can't help but wonder where Klinsmann's "attacking" tactics were at. Didn't see anything different than what Bradley had offered.

Simply laughable that you slam Klinsmann right after he becomes the first coach ever to win in Mexico. Too bad the little girl Chicharito couldn't dive his way to a penalty. Man, he was blatantly flopping left and right, putting the old Italian teams to shame, but the ref bought it. Oh well. It didn't net them a goal, so it was harmless enough.

Oh, btw, the very few times we did gain possession, we were constantly trying to pass forward, much to the detriment of the team. We should have slowed the ball up and actually maintained possession, but we kept trying to push it forward for the instant attack. Klinsmann's tactics were there, but were backfiring and keeping us from maintaining possession.

Yes, we had a few pretty bad performances, and our largely B squad was dominated in possession, but damn, it's a win in Mexico. You take it how you can get it. This is a huge win moving forward, will give us huge boosts in confidence heading into the next few qualifiers, and in the game we'll eventually have to play in Azteca in our qualifying quest. Dig it.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Simply laughable that you slam Klinsmann right after he becomes the first coach ever to win in Mexico. Too bad the little girl Chicharito couldn't dive his way to a penalty. Man, he was blatantly flopping left and right, putting the old Italian teams to shame, but the ref bought it. Oh well. It didn't net them a goal, so it was harmless enough.
Who's slamming him? At the pre-game presser, JK said they would come out and attack. There was constantly 8-9 US defenders in the box. Learn to take criticism without getting your panties in a wad. Mexico played like crap too, it wouldn't ruin my night if you said it did. It was an ugly game that was won with Bradley tactics and a opportunistic goal.

Oh, btw, the very few times we did gain possession, we were constantly trying to pass forward, much to the detriment of the team.
No one said you didn't try.

Yes, we had a few pretty bad performances, and our largely B squad was dominated in possession, but damn, it's a win in Mexico. You take it how you can get it. This is a huge win moving forward, will give us huge boosts in confidence heading into the next few qualifiers, and in the game we'll eventually have to play in Azteca in our qualifying quest. Dig it.
Enjoy it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
wow....

good win. I think this might work against us next year during WC qualifying. They will be furious in Mexico over this loss.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow....

good win. I think this might work against us next year during WC qualifying. They will be furious in Mexico over this loss.

Mexico will be mad, but I hope US WC hopes don't hinge on the qualifying match at Santa Ursula. If that's the case, it may not matter the mood down there.

As historic as that win is, I'm not as thrilled as I should be. The winning goal was scored by a defender in a match in which Mexico dominated possession on a roster in which the young midfielders are supposed to be a strength. Roster flux aside, I'm not seeing the growth between the early friendlies and tonight. Howard is a Top 20 GK and just gave one of his best performances in int'l play. If he gets hurt between now and WC q'fying, it seems like this team's goose is cooked. OTOH, it is a nice thing to have such a superior GK playing at a high level in his mid-30s.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Mexico will be mad, but I hope US WC hopes don't hinge on the qualifying match at Santa Ursula. If that's the case, it may not matter the mood down there.

As historic as that win is, I'm not as thrilled as I should be. The winning goal was scored by a defender in a match in which Mexico dominated possession on a roster in which the young midfielders are supposed to be a strength. Roster flux aside, I'm not seeing the growth between the early friendlies and tonight. Howard is a Top 20 GK and just gave one of his best performances in int'l play. If he gets hurt between now and WC q'fying, it seems like this team's goose is cooked. OTOH, it is a nice thing to have such a superior GK playing at a high level in his mid-30s.

Don't be so pessimistic (probably the first time I'M not the pessimistic one lol). We played a bunch of guys we won't be putting on the field very often. I think Klinsmann finally realizes that Torres stinks too. Sure, we were dominated, but we had a really weak side out there. I mean, we had to put Edu in central defense. Yeah, he did well, but damn! If that doesn't tell you how weak our roster was, nothing would.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Don't be so pessimistic (probably the first time I'M not the pessimistic one lol). We played a bunch of guys we won't be putting on the field very often. I think Klinsmann finally realizes that Torres stinks too. Sure, we were dominated, but we had a really weak side out there. I mean, we had to put Edu in central defense. Yeah, he did well, but damn! If that doesn't tell you how weak our roster was, nothing would.

I think Edu in central defense is going to become a regular thing as he isn't passing Bradley or Jones in the MF. It is a good thing for both him and the US though...he has a little experience there, he played the 08 Olympics there. He is faster than Boca and ***** and distributes better than them too (although they are both better in the air).

The kid I thought held up pretty well was Castillo, surprised me based on past performances. He may not start regularly for us but he does provide valuable depth.

On a note about attacking soccer....I would love to see Altidore, Boyd and Gomez on the field at the same time with Dempsey, Donovan and Bradley behind them in the MF....that could be fun. Altidore is starting really well in Holland and Boyd is having success with Rapid Vienna, Gomez is continuing his form from last season in MX too. I realize we aren't Holland but they make a 4-3-3 work, perhaps we could have an American version of that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Edu in central defense is going to become a regular thing as he isn't passing Bradley or Jones in the MF. It is a good thing for both him and the US though...he has a little experience there, he played the 08 Olympics there. He is faster than Boca and ***** and distributes better than them too (although they are both better in the air).

The kid I thought held up pretty well was Castillo, surprised me based on past performances. He may not start regularly for us but he does provide valuable depth.

On a note about attacking soccer....I would love to see Altidore, Boyd and Gomez on the field at the same time with Dempsey, Donovan and Bradley behind them in the MF....that could be fun. Altidore is starting really well in Holland and Boyd is having success with Rapid Vienna, Gomez is continuing his form from last season in MX too. I realize we aren't Holland but they make a 4-3-3 work, perhaps we could have an American version of that.

I really like Edu in central defense. It allows him to play, the defense some speed out there, and he isn't in Bradley's way. Cameron definitely deserves man of the match to me. He played outstanding. Castillo played well, considering how awful he has been in the past.

I think we will start seeing Altidore less and less unfortunately. I dont think his club likes to let him leave.

Good win.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Jozy's club won't have much choice when it comes to FIFA dates. They just may not release him earlier than they have to, sort of like they did for the last qualifiers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Excellent win, definitely reminded me more of old school US ball, which was pragmatic under the circumstances, and ultimately quite effective.

Cameron was a revelation at CB, if he continues to grow in England I can see him starting in the next WC.

Considering the circumstances, thought that Edu played very well on the back line, and would like that move to be permanent.

Fabian Johnson continues to impress, makes me feel much better about our defense. If Timmy Chandler gets his head out of his ass and realizes that Germany has no interest, I'll be feeling even more confident.

I still don't understand how Torres continues to get on the field, and Freddy Adu doesn't get a call up. Adu was an absolute revelation against Mexico, and was the best player on the field. Further, he brings a skill that almost nobody on the team besides Holden has, the ability to be creative on the ball, hold it, and set others up.

How in the hell does Torres still get opportunities? Both he and Beckerman must have some real good pics of Klinsmann.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent win, definitely reminded me more of old school US ball, which was pragmatic under the circumstances, and ultimately quite effective.

Cameron was a revelation at CB, if he continues to grow in England I can see him starting in the next WC.

Considering the circumstances, thought that Edu played very well on the back line, and would like that move to be permanent.

Fabian Johnson continues to impress, makes me feel much better about our defense. If Timmy Chandler gets his head out of his ass and realizes that Germany has no interest, I'll be feeling even more confident.

I still don't understand how Torres continues to get on the field, and Freddy Adu doesn't get a call up. Adu was an absolute revelation against Mexico, and was the best player on the field. Further, he brings a skill that almost nobody on the team besides Holden has, the ability to be creative on the ball, hold it, and set others up.

How in the hell does Torres still get opportunities? Both he and Beckerman must have some real good pics of Klinsmann.

I actually think Torres is exactly what this team needs. They just do not use them correctly. The back line seems to just long ball to the strikers completely bypassing the midfield. This team needs to learn possession football in the worst way and Torres is part of the solution there, not the problem.

There was no playing from the back today, everything was long ball and defense. It was frustrating to watch when they have enough creative midfielders in Bradley/Torres/Donovan to keep possession.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jozy's club won't have much choice when it comes to FIFA dates. They just may not release him earlier than they have to, sort of like they did for the last qualifiers.

True, but international friendlies and the like, he'll sit along with his opportunities.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random thoughts:

Howard and the back four -- He didn't have much of anything to do the first 85ish minutes of the game, but wow what else can be said about the final five? Of course, it's also a testament to the back line that for all of the opposition's possession that they had few if any chances actually on frame until after the US had scored. Cameron deserves all of the accolades he's been getting for his performance, I'm looking forward to what he can do in the EPL. Some good showings in England and he could push Goodson for a starting job. Edu filled in well but didn't appear to be too comfortable as a CB. We'll see what happens once he moves to another club, but I think as of right now he'd really be about 5th or 6th on the depth chart at CB. His versatility obviously makes him very useful on the bench as well, perhaps his skill set would be better utilized as a fullback capable of joining the attack? Castillo looked better than he had, but almost the entirety of Mexico's crosses came from his side of the field. Not someone I'd expect to see next month in WCQs when more of the regulars are available. Fabian Johnson was great again, very little came down his side. However, he couldn't get forward much which may have been because he was playing RB instead of LB, but this shouldn't be an issue when the likes of Cherundolo and Lichaj (and with any luck, Chandler) are around.

Donovan -- On his one big rush with the ball at his feet, he elected to pass it out wide which I found disappointing. He's been impressive even by his standards for the Galaxy lately, and with the hamstring injury I'll give him a pass. However, this weirdness about him saying he's considering retiring in 2013 is not something you want to hear when you're still two years away from the World Cup.

Beckerman -- Not a whole lot got past him as the defensive mid, which is good, but he also wasn't very aggressive in taking balls away. Couple in a few weak passes, and it can't be called more than an average night. I think we have better options at CDM.

Danny Williams -- His quick throw in to Gomez was very clever, but otherwise he brings very little offensively. His night showed that his real use as a right winger is primarily in locking on to a particularly dangerous LM, but I think he falls into the category of "better options at CDM than Beckerman."

Jones -- Typical Jermain Jones kind of game. Hard work. Hard tackles.

Torres -- He has this reputation as a creative distributor, but honestly, I'm having trouble picturing any particularly nice plays he's ever made in a US uniform. This was another game that falls into this category. I understand that there's a paradox with having Torres on the field: He doesn't get many opportunities because defenders can't win back the ball to get it to him, and defenders can't win back the ball in part because he's a midfielder that doesn't do any defending. I don't think the solution to the riddle is more Torres.

Gomez -- He works hard, but not looking up to even see a wide open Boyd off of the Williams quick throw is inexcusable at the international level.

Subs -- Shea shows absolutely no fear, running at defenders with the ball yet still keeping his head up to find the pass. Hopefully this is the moment that turns around his disappointing season with FC Dallas. That little back heel pass by Boyd was a thing of beauty, too many forwards would have panicked and attempted to turn around with that ball. I have no idea how Orozco Fiscal ended up where he did, but I'm sure glad he was there. Beasley killed some time when he had the ball, getting his 97th cap in the process. Zusi had a solid clearance in the final minutes, not much else of note in his time.

It is difficult to tell how much to really read into friendlies, but getting road wins against Italy and Mexico where they've obviously struggled historically are both meaningful achievements. This is especially true considering how Klinsmann's first year has felt like moving one step forward followed by one step back. We'll see whether the confidence carries over next month against Jamaica.