The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather play 10 than have Onyewu on the pitch anymore.

...and my support for Onweyu is gone. I highly doubt he sees anymore action barring injury suspensions...

He was horrible in substitution and got absolutely burned on that goal.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just saw the highlight of the Antigua goal...what was ***** thinking? He was pressing way outside of the area with no support behind him, once the guy turned him it was a foot race and we all saw how that turned out. JK has to lose faith in him soon...he isn't what he once was, injuries and age have taken their toll (although 30 shouldnt be old for a CB).

I won't be shelling out the money for Guatemala PPV, will just have to hope I can find a web feed somewhere...I hope they step up their game.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I mostly agree with this......

MF, Maurice Edu, 7 -- The Americans' most consistent player on the night, Edu's positioning and distribution on top of the defensive line were impeccable.

D, Oguchi Onyewu, 4 -- Made one big mistake in his 35 minutes of work, but that's one too many from a central defender.

F, Terrence Boyd, NR -- A few years from now, this match may not be remembered for anything more important than the cap that makes Boyd an American international for the duration.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The US is still struggling any time their opponent plays aggresively high against the US back four. Brazil did this of course, but both Canada and Antigua had their most success when they forced the US defenders to quickly decide between passing and booting it. Getting Johnson back would help tremendously of couse, the US doesn't have many defenders as comfortable with the ball at their feet as he. I thought Bocanegra played great and was more dangerous going down the left than Torres was. Onyewu's massive strugggles are still somewhat surprising, given that he had been receiving good reviews in Portugal. Goodson showed that he's at the moment the best man for the job at CB. Hopefully Johnson - Bocanegra - Goodson - Cherundolo will be the four against Guatemala.

We saw some good movement between Donovan and Dempsey that could have easily led to some goals, but too many times a player gave up a chance to take the shot in favor of a difficult pass. Not the best time to "practice" that sort of thing when you're only up two. I was surprised they again had Bradley playing so deep as well. He'll need to get himself more involved on Tuesday.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
For those in PHX, I made some calls to bars listed on usasoccer.com and known local soccer bars and only found two covering the PPV game.

Buffalo Wild Wings on Elliot in Gilbert, no cover

Hooters West Phoenix, no cover

The AO supporter bar, 16th street bar and grill will not show the game. Sent an email to AO PHX to see if they have organised any viewings. Will update any responses.

I believe that my group will end up splitting the PPV fee at someones house. Bummer that we can't get more support around here for a qualifier. I'm sure a Tuesday game has something to do with it.

If anyone has any any other PHX locations, please advise.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, a 1-1 draw. The US gave up a late lead but a draw was always the minimum acceptable result considering this was their most dangerous game of the six in this round. Sounds like the US got hosed on a call with Altidore alone in front of the net but such is the way of life in Central America. Good to see Dempsey is still on a tear. Too bad we have to wait so long for the next match.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Goodson must have gotten hurt, as he was taken out for Castillo far earlier than you would think (can't remember the time). That's not a good sign. Johnson was able to go, which was good news. Yeah, we'll take the draw. Disappointing to give up the lead late, though.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Goodson must have gotten hurt, as he was taken out for Castillo far earlier than you would think (can't remember the time). That's not a good sign. Johnson was able to go, which was good news. Yeah, we'll take the draw. Disappointing to give up the lead late, though.

Goodson was taken out at Halftime, I read it wasn't due to injury but rather he was carrying an early yellow and with as physical as the game was (and the flopping) that there was concern of him getting a second.

Just watched the highlights, Howard should have done better on that goal scored against him...hard to fault him though considering how well he played the rest of the match.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That penalty kick hit the underside of the crossbar. I can't fault Howard on such a great strike. The penalty that Fabian Johnson took though..... That's a different story.

Like others.... The draw is fine, but it would have been nice to put a stranglehold on the group with a victory.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Goodson was taken out at Halftime, I read it wasn't due to injury but rather he was carrying an early yellow and with as physical as the game was (and the flopping) that there was concern of him getting a second.

Just watched the highlights, Howard should have done better on that goal scored against him...hard to fault him though considering how well he played the rest of the match.

Did you see the pace of that ball, though? Between that and the fact that he couldn't see it until it passed the way, I can't fault him.

Oh, and I didn't realize there was a penalty miss. Damn!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
With Daniele DeRossi in there, the midfield is a bit crowded on that squad. My guess is he is the 3rd or 4th MF in Rome.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US women were down 2-0 in the first 14 mins before France surrendered four goals...

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geoff Cameron is off to Stoke City. Nice to have another EPL player in the MNT pool.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if they know anything about Michael Sullivan as a US soccer player? He's the son of Christopher Sullivan who played pro ball, US World Cup, Olympics etc and now works for Fox Sports on Soccer. I went to junior high and HS with Chris but haven't really seen him since HS. I discovered him on FB yesterday and was googling and saw that his son Michael was invited to the U15 National team tryouts in 2010 but I have no idea if he made the team etc. So I'm assuming now he's somewhere in the 16-17 year old range just curious if he's still considered at that caliber?

his dad was pretty amazing he was one of those kids who just had to decide to take it seriously and really focus on one sport. In school he played basketball one year, football(WR and QB), played soccer etc. Just an insane athlete. I'm just curious if his son inherited the same athletic skill(they look the same).

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeno's our youth expert. Might also want to ask on bigsoccer.com, they have a section on the youth teams

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice to see Sydney Leroux, who went to high school in Phoenix, score a goal in the US win today. Too bad Great Britain lost to Canada, the US women deserved to play in front of a packed audience at Old Trafford.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My guess is Saturday. JK seems to release his rosters later than Bradley used to.

If you'd like to know your rivals, here you are:
Alfredo Talavera (Toluca)
Guillermo Ochoa (Ajaccio)
Francisco Javier Rodríguez (VFB Stuttgart)
Héctor Moreno (RCD Espanyol)
Severo Meza (Monterrey
Hugo Ayala (Tigres)
Jorge Torres Nilo (Tigres)
Enrique Pérez (Morelia)
Jesús Zavala (Monterrey)
Manuel Viniegra (Tigres)
Edgar Gerardo Lugo (Santos)
Adrián Aldrete (América)
Pablo Barrera (Cruz Azul)
Elías Hernández (Tigres)
Andrés Guardado (Valencia C.F.)
Ángel Reyna (Monterrey)
Aldo de Nigris (Monterrey)
Javier Hernández (Manchester United)

All olympic squad players are excluded. Notably Dos Santos, Peralta, Corona, Fabian.

Can't wait to see Klinsmann's list.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I could easily see a 3-1 loss next week. I will keep my hopes up though.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could easily see a 3-1 loss next week. I will keep my hopes up though.

I don't think so. Players are just coming off of vacation, out of rhythm, and haven't played together in nearly 2 months. With the olympic Gold medal game as somewhat of a distraction, this is a perfect trap game. Idk if the US will pull off the upset, but i think it'll be tough for Mexico to win.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake