The Official US Soccer thread

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soccer is a difficult sport when officials take away legitimate goals.

Last edited:

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

def close..but not ridiculous

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Mexico clearly outplayed the US in the second half, regardless of that call. It was night and day.

Omar Gonzalez is going to get us killed this summer, he is slow and has a tendency to ball watch.

Clint Dempsey not only shouldn't be the captain (Bradley should be) he shouldn't be starting until he can give the team more than 2 or 3 flashes in 90 minutes.

I liked what I saw of Parkhurst (mostly), Beltran looked better going forward than he did in defense and Bradley was once again the best US player...Zusi was solid and Beckerman (who I normally don't like) was pretty good.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yep, as I watched the obvious goal replay, I knew, with absolute certainty, who would pop onto the board and claim it wasn't. I actually expected him to claim it was clearly no goal, which means he did better than I thought :)

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mexico clearly outplayed the US in the second half, regardless of that call. It was night and day.

Omar Gonzalez is going to get us killed this summer, he is slow and has a tendency to ball watch.

Clint Dempsey not only shouldn't be the captain (Bradley should be) he shouldn't be starting until he can give the team more than 2 or 3 flashes in 90 minutes.

I liked what I saw of Parkhurst (mostly), Beltran looked better going forward than he did in defense and Bradley was once again the best US player...Zusi was solid and Beckerman (who I normally don't like) was pretty good.

Bradley was destroying Mexico in the first half, solid solid player. His return to the MLS has turned out to be a heck of a lot better than Dempseys.

Good post Zeno, refreshing to see from some of the posters in this thread. ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't even think he gave us 2-3 flashes. He was the worst player on the field last night. Bradley should definitely be captain. I have been saying that for 2 years.

The first Mexican goal was on Beckerman. He did not rotate over giving the guy the free header. Inexcusable.

It was definitely onside and should have been a goal. If it is close, why not let the players play. It is a worse injustice to call an onside play offsides than vise versa.

Green definitely stumbled tonight in his sub duties, giving the ball away a few times. It was nice to see someone try to take someone off of the dribble near the box. That also should have been a pen at the end of the game. He was fouled both outside and inside of the box.

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, Green didn't tear it up like I thought he would. Did show a few good moments and earned an uncalled fall right on the edge of the box. Still, he looked nervous and tight, and made too many mistakes.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Yep.

I think we kind of ran out of the gates so fast that they lost their steam in the 2nd half. Even Bradley was quiet in the 2nd with far less deep runs into the attack.

I actually loved some of the flashes out of Green. The run that Clint found him on that was ultimately deflected in the box was great. And you could see the quickness and speed combo he possesses.

Eddie should never play, or recieve the ball out wide. it is a cluster waiting to happen.

Good job by Parkhurst.

Clint has been poor for at least a year now.

Yedlin's speed is great as well. We have some serious young burners for the 2018 world cup.

I must go back to Omar...... That guy is not as solid as he thinks he is. Even in the air he is not where he needs to be. I see no attack... No fire. Blah.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's embarrassing, Johnson is still even with the man 2-3 strides after the ball is kicked.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and what would replay show in that situation? it is a judgement call ultimately

That it should have been onside???

Yes it is a judgment call, but replay would clearly show that. If I didn't know you any better, I'd think you were kidding.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I could rant for hours about poor officiating in soccer and solutions to improve the situation. One of those problems (that I believe could be easily fixed) is that particular call can still be justified because of how FIFA and IFAB have interpreted the rule. EJ's head and shoulders are leaning beyond his feet, toward the goal, when the ball was struck.

"FIFA Rule 11: Offside Position
A player is in an offside position if: He is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent.

IFAB Decision 1: Consideration should be given to any part of the head, body or feet of the attacker in relation to the second last defender,the ball or the halfway line."

Translation: If part of the body is beyond the defender... raise the flag.

During the match and after-show Taylor Twellman and Alexi Lalas made sarcastic/definitive comments about the call, while the other commentators remained silent. I'm not agreeing with slinslin, I'm pointing out that just about everything Twellman and Lalas says, should be immediately discounted.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pointing out that just about everything Twellman and Lalas says, should be immediately discounted.

I very much disagree with you. While of course they are both fans of the US regime, I think that they are pretty impartial. Case in point, Twellman did not think the Green foul was a penalty. They for the most part are pretty insightful when it comes to the beat of the USMNT.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I could rant for hours about poor officiating in soccer and solutions to improve the situation. One of those problems (that I believe could be easily fixed) is that particular call can still be justified because of how FIFA and IFAB have interpreted the rule. EJ's head and shoulders are leaning beyond his feet, toward the goal, when the ball was struck.

"FIFA Rule 11: Offside Position
A player is in an offside position if: He is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent.

IFAB Decision 1: Consideration should be given to any part of the head, body or feet of the attacker in relation to the second last defender,the ball or the halfway line."

Translation: If part of the body is beyond the defender... raise the flag.

During the match and after-show Taylor Twellman and Alexi Lalas made sarcastic/definitive comments about the call, while the other commentators remained silent. I'm not agreeing with slinslin, I'm pointing out that just about everything Twellman and Lalas says, should be immediately discounted.

This. It's a judgement call as has been mentioned by just about everyone. I'm fine with how it was called, and I would have been fine if the flag hadn't been raised. It was that close. I don't think replay would have helped the situation at all, but I'm very much against replay reviews in the sport.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, I've succumbed to becoming a soccer fan. Mostly by virtue of having bought FIFA 14. Since I bought the game I've started watching a lot of live soccer and the more I watch, now that I understand the game more, the more I like.

But now I'm in a position I've never been in. I like a sport, I have no team that I particularly am attached to. I've always been a local sports guy. I guess if I want to have a favorite club I have to 'pick' one.

So, as American soccer fans, what international teams do you guys follow? How'd you end up being a fan of those teams?

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know how most of the other people on the board picked their teams, but I've always had a hard time truly getting attached to a particular European club. I grew up in S. America, playing and watching the sport almost daily. I have 'my team' that I grew up watching, and will always love and support, but when it came to European clubs, I couldn't find the same passion for any of them. So I'm a fan of the game, and enjoy watching good football played at the highest levels. I don't care for RM much now, but enjoy watching Ronaldo do Ronaldo things. Same goes for Messi, or Robben or any of the great players of today or yesterday. I'll still pay close attention to my guys from Chile, and will root for whatever team they're playing on, hoping they get playing time and find success.

Probably didn't answer your question, but you can be a fan of the game without choosing one team.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So, I've succumbed to becoming a soccer fan. Mostly by virtue of having bought FIFA 14. Since I bought the game I've started watching a lot of live soccer and the more I watch, now that I understand the game more, the more I like.

But now I'm in a position I've never been in. I like a sport, I have no team that I particularly am attached to. I've always been a local sports guy. I guess if I want to have a favorite club I have to 'pick' one.

So, as American soccer fans, what international teams do you guys follow? How'd you end up being a fan of those teams?

I have always rooted for the teams that play most like the Suns. Great passing, attacking play, high scoring, and light on the defense.

Therefore:

Premier League: Liverpool (slightly Arsenal)
La Liga: Barcelona (prolly my favorite international team). Slightly Real Madrid.
Italy: Too much defense, games seem to be more boring to me personally.
Germany: Dortmund (Before this year). Now it's up in the air for me.

Stout

Reaction score

Good for you! I became a soccer fan while stationed in Germany. Not because I lived in Europe, at first, but because I had FIFA '98 on Playstation lol They had Newcastle United (English Premier League), and I was from New Castle PA. Newcastle has a really cool kit, so a following was born.

Oh, then I got to experience a World Cup while in Europe. Even though I was in Bosnia, and we finished in last place, it was magical.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

At the risk of becoming a bandwagoner, I chose my int'l teams after watching Euro 06. I loved that tournament and used the players I liked as the starting point. With the World Cup coming up, that might be a good way of starting your determination.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score

GOOOOOONERS!!!!! I root for Arsenal. When I started to get into soccer I found out there was a team whose nickname was the Spurs (Tottenham Hotspurs). I decided that as a Suns fan I was morally obligated to root for their main rival. COYG

Stout

Reaction score
At the risk of becoming a bandwagoner, I chose my int'l teams after watching Euro 06. I loved that tournament and used the players I liked as the starting point. With the World Cup coming up, that might be a good way of starting your determination.

Eh, I don't think it's too bandwagonny, though I'm sure that's not a word :) Back in '06, not many games were televised from regular leagues, so following the best players back to the big teams was pretty wise. Not a horrible idea now either, except that you can follow them back to any team, really, as viewing options are now wide open. Or maybe not--I know you can watch any Premier League game you want, so I'm assuming you can watch a lot of other leagues too.

Great news about the Copa America 2016 too!

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score

I started watching about 6 years ago. I got a job in satellite television monitoring all the channels. We are a 24 hour operation so I was there a lot in the early morning hours when European games were on and I just started following it. I became a fan of Arsenal because they were on TV a lot and they played an attractive style. Plus I didn't want to pick ManU because it felt too easy.

I pay attention to what goes on some of the other European leagues but I don't watch many games or follow any specific team.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake