The Official US Soccer thread

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Without trying to sound rude, but do you actually follow football at all? How anyone can't see the benefits of having Donovan on the team is beyond me. Experience, skill and passion. I would rather have nobody else playing with 10 minutes to go in a WC game.

I follow serie A very closely along with other europran cups and casually follow MLS just due to the closeness of the revs to me. I think there are a bunch of Donovan nut huggers based solely on his name especially for people who don't follow soccer. He is a shell of what he once was. If you look purely at stats and form and what the US is trying to do this move isn't as egregious as everyone thinks it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I follow serie A very closely along with other europran cups and casually follow MLS just due to the closeness of the revs to me. I think there are a bunch of Donovan nut huggers based solely on his name especially for people who don't follow soccer. He is a shell of what he once was. If you look purely at stats and form and what the US is trying to do this move isn't as egregious as everyone thinks it is.

So tell us what is the US trying to do? If it is trying to get out of the group leaving Donovan off makes zero sense.

If the goal is just to gain experience for 2018 shame on US Soccer. That is an insult to US Soccer supporters period.

To paraphrase what Bruce Arena said, "If the US has 23 players better than Landon Donovan then we are going to win the World Cup"

Anyways...Donovan is the "alternate", here's to hoping Brad Davis pulls a hammy in one of the upcoming friendlies.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
So tell us what is the US trying to do? If it is trying to get out of the group leaving Donovan off makes zero sense.

If the goal is just to gain experience for 2018 shame on US Soccer. That is an insult to US Soccer supporters period.

To paraphrase what Bruce Arena said, "If the US has 23 players better than Landon Donovan then we are going to win the World Cup"

Anyways...Donovan is the "alternate", here's to hoping Brad Davis pulls a hammy in one of the upcoming friendlies.

I know it sucks to hear but it seems they are playing for 18. They are going with young legs here. No matter what anyone thinks the US has no shot to win the cup why not get the young guys some exp and have a strong core going into 18. Donovan even if he made this team would never make it to 18 so what is the point in giving him the time instead of guys like altidore and green. Even though I doubt green gets more than a few sub minutes in.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I know it sucks to hear but it seems they are playing for 18. They are going with young legs here. No matter what anyone thinks the US has no shot to win the cup why not get the young guys some exp and have a strong core going into 18. Donovan even if he made this team would never make it to 18 so what is the point in giving him the time instead of guys like altidore and green. Even though I doubt green gets more than a few sub minutes in.

Playing for 2018 is an insult--the Gold Cup in 2015 and the Super Copa America in 2016 is where you can prepare for 2018 not the WC. This team is talented enough to emerge from the group if breaks go their way, cutting the player that Tim Howard just on Monday said was one of our 2 best players sure didn't help. Nobody expects the team to win the WC but a repeat of 2006 or God forbid 1998 is a step in the wrong direction.

If we are playing for 18 why does Davis or Dempsey make the team? Davis is the same age as Donovan...Dempsey will be past his prime by 18 too. How about Tim Howard? Why bring Beckerman? He is no spring chicken either.

In 2002 the US brought in the young Donovan and Beasley because they were among the 23 best players, they both had been successful mainstays on every level of the US youth teams and has actually contributed to the full side. They weren't brought in solely with 2006 in mind (and that didn't exactly help anyway).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Playing for 2018 is an insult--the Gold Cup in 2015 and the Super Copa America in 2016 is where you can prepare for 2018 not the WC. This team is talented enough to emerge from the group if breaks go their way, cutting the player that Tim Howard just on Monday said was one of our 2 best players sure didn't help. Nobody expects the team to win the WC but a repeat of 2006 or God forbid 1998 is a step in the wrong direction.

If we are playing for 18 why does Davis or Dempsey make the team? Davis is the same age as Donovan...Dempsey will be past his prime by 18 too. How about Tim Howard? Why bring Beckerman? He is no spring chicken either.

In 2002 the US brought in the young Donovan and Beasley because they were among the 23 best players, they both had been successful mainstays on every level of the US youth teams and has actually contributed to the full side. They weren't brought in solely with 2006 in mind (and that didn't exactly help anyway).

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... How again is picking Jones, Beasley, Beckerman, Davis, and Wondo a sign of "playing for 18?"

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... How again is picking Jones, Beasley, Beckerman, Davis, and Wondo a sign of "playing for 18?"

I think this is all about ego, or there is more happening behind the scenes that we don't know about. The sabbatical hurt Donovan more than anymore really knew.

You can't blame Donovan's form as to why he wasn't selected when Altidore, Yedlin, Brooks, etc were named ahead of him. You can't blame age when Beasley, Davis, Dempsey, etc were named as well.

No one besides Klinsmann thinks that Donovan isn't among the top 23 players on the USMNT.

So much for USA having a stress free last stretch to the WC.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Brad Davis at least has done something this year with 1 goal and 5 assists he's a guy that nobody cares about coming in in the 80th minute

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Brad Davis at least has done something this year with 1 goal and 5 assists he's a guy that nobody cares about coming in in the 80th minute

Nobody cares about him because he has done NOTHING at the international level and is no threat to any of the teams in our group with the slight exception of striking a ball on a set piece.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Claiming that Altidore hasn't earned a spot over the other forwards is nonsense. The maddening thing about Klinsmann is how the logic seems to constantly shift. He says Altidore's club form isn't enough because of the way he's played for the NT. Then he claims Kljestan's play for his club earned his spot, even though he's rarely done anything of value for the US. Edu gets called up despite not playing much for Stoke yet. Johnson gets a spot, he hasn't done anything in years. Gordon hasn't done anything, period. He's on the wrong side of thirty with a grand total of zero goals for the US. Sometimes club form matters, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes national team performance matters, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes international experience matters, sometimes it doesn't. Klinsmann is playing Calvinball, and he'd better hope it doesn't burn him. A bad game and the US might have to think it over for the next four years. Now isn't the time to try and prove a point to one of your best players.

Altidore is 22 and 10th all time in scoring for the US. He's a striker on fire in Europe, the US has exactly one player that can claim that right now. This is the final weekend in the Qualifying round, and not having him on the roster is inexcusable.
A year and a half later and apparently there are some things that never change with Klinsmann after all.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
On the Big Head (Taylor Twellman) Red Head (Alexi Lalas) podcast at about the 20 minute mark they mentioned an on the record comment made by JK after the Italy game that basically said "Landon Donovan has burnt his bridge with me".

That coupled with the time off, coupled with his fitness levels lately, and landon's personal comments about aging and his body.

And finally...... His very poor showing in Phoenix v. Mexico. And JK subsequently calling him out by saying that he was slated to start but had to be cut back due to his fitness level.

Personally, I feel this is a huge mistake and that he should go and be our 1st sub off the bench at the 60 minute mark if we need to move to the 4-4-2 for offensive punch. I guess JK values youth and speed on his wings over experience.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
On the Big Head (Taylor Twellman) Red Head (Alexi Lalas) podcast at about the 20 minute mark they mentioned an on the record comment made by JK after the Italy game that basically said "Landon Donovan has burnt his bridge with me".

That coupled with the time off, coupled with his fitness levels lately, and landon's personal comments about aging and his body.

And finally...... His very poor showing in Phoenix v. Mexico. And JK subsequently calling him out by saying that he was slated to start but had to be cut back due to his fitness level.

Personally, I feel this is a huge mistake and that he should go and be our 1st sub off the bench at the 60 minute mark if we need to move to the 4-4-2 for offensive punch. I guess JK values youth and speed on his wings over experience.

I agree especially if they jump to the 4-4-2 it looks like Aron Johansson will be the 2nd ST from everything I read. He could push jozy for the starting spot if he shows bad form.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Independently of whether or not LD should be on the roster, isn't that what you want on the wings? Speed and pace on the wings, especially off the bench, is what you want in just about any situation.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Independently of whether or not LD should be on the roster, isn't that what you want on the wings? Speed and pace on the wings, especially off the bench, is what you want in just about any situation.
Ehhh..... A mix of speed plus the cunning it takes to put your defenders to sleep. Landon just has this knack for bieng at the right place at the right time.

For example. The Mexico game in Columbus. Mix sends the cross in front of the keeper and Clint was a step late. Who was perfectly timed? Landon.

The Algeria goal.... Who was there to put away Clints failed attempt? Landon.

The guy just has a special recognition of time and place that cannot be taught. We will miss that IMO.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

If what you're relying on is speed then I'd rather take the player that knows what they're doing.

Beckham (as much as I dislike him) always made things happen. He never had great speed.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I also think the US has a good chance of getting out of the group. I just think it would have been a better chance with Donovan there.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I also think the Pennsylvania Dutch National Team can get out of the group. Really excited about this World Cup. Any word on Brazil's stadium projects; are they 25% completed yet?

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If what you're relying on is speed then I'd rather take the player that knows what they're doing.

Beckham (as much as I dislike him) always made things happen. He never had great speed.

I'm there with you on taking skill over raw speed. But my comment was directed at the previous poster and in direct relation to what's ideal in a wing player. I know Beckham played on the right side, but was he really a winger?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Donovan not making the team is complete horse****. Donovan is the most important player in US soccer, and proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt in gold cup qualification.

There is no logical reason why he shouldn't be starting in the world cup, and its a national embarrassment that he isn't starting. Bradley and Dempsey may be better, but if I'm going to war, I'm going with Lando.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Landon had 2 goals and an assist last night.

The LA crowd had a chant of "F you Klinsmann" going too.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take one more month of Donovan over four more years of Klinsmann no question.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Some of my family members in LA who are big galaxy fans were in for the holiday and I asked them about Donovan and they said he has been horrible all year except for the 2 goal game. I don't believe in people making it in based on name recognition. The only person Donovan has a case over is green and no way they are leaving green off the roster after rolling out the red carpet for him to play for the US

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Some of my family members in LA who are big galaxy fans were in for the holiday and I asked them about Donovan and they said he has been horrible all year except for the 2 goal game. I don't believe in people making it in based on name recognition. The only person Donovan has a case over is green and no way they are leaving green off the roster after rolling out the red carpet for him to play for the US

Then your family hasn't been paying attention, prior to the camp call up Donovan was the best player on the field versus Portland. Sometimes impact isn't reflected in statistics. If club form was the only grading point Altidore wouldn't be there neither would Yedlin or Omar Gonzalez or Beasley. I know Green was cleaning up in the 4th division of German soccer but who cares!?

You are telling me if MLS teams had a choice between Landon Donovan or Brad Davis they would choose Davis? Really?

It is almost unanimous with respected soccer writers that his exclusion makes no sense. It is also getting ripped by coaches and players in MLS as being a poor choice. The only ones supporting this move are JK, his minions and those who never liked Donovan to begin with.

Donovan since his return from his sabbatical...11 Caps 8 Goals, but he isn't productive at all.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Donovan is a soccer star of the highest caliber in our country. If anyone wants to talk to me about how he has played in the last few months I will immediately transition to how the Heat handle Dwayne Wayde and the Spurs handle Tim Duncan.

Anyone who thinks this guy hasn't been saving himself for this summer is nuts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake