The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I've succumbed to becoming a soccer fan. Mostly by virtue of having bought FIFA 14. Since I bought the game I've started watching a lot of live soccer and the more I watch, now that I understand the game more, the more I like.

But now I'm in a position I've never been in. I like a sport, I have no team that I particularly am attached to. I've always been a local sports guy. I guess if I want to have a favorite club I have to 'pick' one.

So, as American soccer fans, what international teams do you guys follow? How'd you end up being a fan of those teams?

I have tried being as impartial to as many teams as possible. I still try to watch as many Premier league games per week as possible, but that has wittled down to just a couple per week with the Champions League on. I am very much like you in that I am a local sports guy. It is hard to get into any one team at first. My recommendation would be to watch as much as you can, be open and then pick a team after 6 months or a year of watching. Yes, that long. Hopefully by then you will know what you like and will finally pick a team. In the meanwhile, you will objectively get to watch a lot of soccer.

With that said, Liverpool has become my favorite team in the Premier League. I love Suarez and the things he does with the football, no one else in the Premier League can do. I watched the documentary Being Liverpool and that only helped. I like to follow Arsenal as well.

Where do you play Fifa 14? I have it for Xbox One.

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Well Landon Donovan has been left off the team. Right move he has been having bad form.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Shows how weak that position is for the US

Who would you rather come off the bench with 15-20 minutes to go and needing a goal? Donovan or Green or Davis? Choice is pretty easy for me.

I will also go so far to say Donovan is a better player for the National team than Clint Dempsey...don't care what Dempseys league form is, he just has been a non factor for the US for awhile.

Oh well, decision has been made..kinda surprised Yedlin made it too, he has been pretty poor for Seattle and is super young.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who would you rather come off the bench with 15-20 minutes to go and needing a goal? Donovan or Green or Davis? Choice is pretty easy for me.

I will also go so far to say Donovan is a better player for the National team than Clint Dempsey...don't care what Dempseys league form is, he just has been a non factor for the US for awhile.

Oh well, decision has been made..kinda surprised Yedlin made it too, he has been pretty poor for Seattle and is super young.

I definitely would have had Donovan on the roster. His experience and leadership, if nothing else, would have been invaluable. I'm also disappointed that Goodson was left off. Would have preferred him over Yedlin, again for experience and cover.

Well, JK has put his balls on the line, that's for sure. If we play poorly, they'll look done over with a cheese grater. I say play poorly, because I think we can play well and still not advance. Then again, with this decision, advancing is probably a minimum requirement to justify the decision.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, BECKERMAN made it and DONOVAN didn't? Holy hell, what is wrong with JK???

Wow wow WOW. Unbelievable.

This move better pay off or I could see him not surviving the next WC cycle.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You can't tell me there are 23 better American soccer players than Landon Donovan right now.

Its not about 23 its about 8 better midfielders. Some people think making the team and having him ride the pine which he would is more of a slap in the face to him. Would just be a distraction that this team can't afford.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not about 23 its about 8 better midfielders. Some people think making the team and having him ride the pine which he would is more of a slap in the face to him. Would just be a distraction that this team can't afford.

Not even about 8 midfielders as Klinsmann has had him as a forward in camp this whole time. If I need a goal, I want Donovan out there instead of Wondo. I can't even believe that this happened.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

What in Donovan's character would ever cause anyone to think him on the bench would be a distraction? That is just total garbage.

I really find it hard to believe 8 better midfielders when three of those midfielders are Green, Davis and Beckerman....and Bedoya, who I like, but he isn't better than LD.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
What in Donovan's character would ever cause anyone to think him on the bench would be a distraction? That is just total garbage.

I really find it hard to believe 8 better midfielders when three of those midfielders are Green, Davis and Beckerman....and Bedoya, who I like, but he isn't better than LD.

You don't think if he was rostered but didn't see game action there wouldn't be a media circus? That would get more attention then the games so it would be a distraction.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Horrible decision IMO

JK talked the entire cycle about the players have to compete and play if they want to make this team.

Green, Yedlin, Brooks, are not ready. Aron, Davis, & Bedoya are all below him as well.

I hope this doesn't come back to haunt us.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If we play poorly and can't get anything done out of the midfield, JK is toast. Absolute toast.

Not that he would have been in trouble anyway, but this solidifies it. If the team is terrible in Brazil and pundits start asking, "What if we had Landon?" he's gone.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
They just extended him through 2018, which apparently JK has his eyes on.

I'd love to hear an explanation of how Davis/Wondo/Beckerman is more deserving than Donovan, just crazy that he isn't on the team.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "youth movement" and "2018" narratives I keep hearing don't make any sense considering he picked Beasley, Jones, Beckerman, Davis, and Wondolowski, all of whom are 31-32 (as Donovan is). Nor does it make sense to punish him for his well publicized sabbatical over a year ago when he selects Chandler who is allowed to show up and leave at will. Absolutely, completely idiotic decision making on the part of Klinsmann.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Rumor mill is saying JK promised green a roster spot to make commitment to the US...let's not forget Donovan hasn't even scored 1 goal yet this year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor mill is saying JK promised green a roster spot to make commitment to the US...let's not forget Donovan hasn't even scored 1 goal yet this year.

Neither has Altidore.... lol

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Without trying to sound rude, but do you actually follow football at all? How anyone can't see the benefits of having Donovan on the team is beyond me. Experience, skill and passion. I would rather have nobody else playing with 10 minutes to go in a WC game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake