The Official US Soccer thread

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I could probably get ok with Cherundolo, but would like someone more proven in the intentional game

As far as pundits, while I line that people like Lalas & Lloyd will give opinions outside the company line - at times it seems really forced and "hot take" driven, which doesn't always seem authentic

For how they interact with intentional, there shouldn't be any deference you them because the US hasn't accomplished much on that global stage - it's completely irrelevant

Women's team looks like it's coming together, some "new" moments and need to turn the pace and movement into more chances - I think they'll get there

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I could probably get ok with Cherundolo, but would like someone more proven in the intentional game

As far as pundits, while I line that people like Lalas & Lloyd will give opinions outside the company line - at times it seems really forced and "hot take" driven, which doesn't always seem authentic

For how they interact with intentional, there shouldn't be any deference you them because the US hasn't accomplished much on that global stage - it's completely irrelevant

Women's team looks like it's coming together, some "new" moments and need to turn the pace and movement into more chances - I think they'll get there
it was cringe worthy watching Lalas on the FS1 Euro set. I wish that FS1 would give Dempsey more of those opportunities.

I like Cherrundolo's international experience as a player. but would love to see him manage a club abroad before he takes on the USA manager. but maybe I'm just fooling myself. it might not even be in the cards for him to ever manage a club abroad. he might need the USA job to be a stepping stone to get there.

The women need to be more clinical in the final 3rd. but I feel like that's my top complaint for every team that I watch. if they play the with the pace that they played today they are going to win a lot of games.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think I can agree on all that.

I like Dempsey and he comes off well to me .... He's often a bit aloof though - it's like it's just something he does and will maybe have a good thought and jump in it maybe not .... Not polished, but maybe why I find him credible

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think I can agree on all that.

I like Dempsey and he comes off well to me .... He's often a bit aloof though - it's like it's just something he does and will maybe have a good thought and jump in it maybe not .... Not polished, but maybe why I find him credible
Yeah I think Clint is really good on the CBS/paramount set. He's funny IMO and takes some of the edge off for the other broadcasters. I enjoyed it when they had Jesse Marsch on there several months ago. Dempsey has been a bit more professional on the FS1 set next to Lloyd and Lalas. but I think all 3 have been good on their Copa America analysis.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
No, hell no, i wouldn't be okay with Cherundalo. Don't get Stockholm Syndrome-d into being okay with more of the same.
agree. they need someone who has experience and credibility. someone that the players will relate to and look up to at the same time. it's tough. I don't know what they are going to do. but glad greg is gone.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like we are targeting Patrick Vieira.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It looks like we are targeting Patrick Vieira.
Don't know anything about him as a coach. Has he been good?

Just did some quick research on his coaching career. Woof, not good! Lousy, short spells at all teams and a playing style described as methodical and possession based, with a tendency to bunker when being batter. I say again, woof! No thanks! Not just any foreign managers should be the guy.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Don't know anything about him as a coach. Has he been good?

Just did some quick research on his coaching career. Woof, not good! Lousy, short spells at all teams and a playing style described as methodical and possession based, with a tendency to bunker when being batter. I say again, woof! No thanks! Not just any foreign managers should be the guy.
Yeah, doesn't take much research to see he's been a mostly awful manager. Gotta do better.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I have a feeling we are going to get an MLS coach because the USA either won't pay or give the amount of control that a credible manager would want. Anyone hear Jesse Marsch's recent comments about US Soccer?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Lalas made an ass out of all of us. I hope he does not come back to repeat that trash in 2026. You can speak your mind without being a goon socially. It’s not that hard.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I have a feeling we are going to get an MLS coach because the USA either won't pay or give the amount of control that a credible manager would want. Anyone hear Jesse Marsch's recent comments about US Soccer?
I saw his interview and asked myself what in the world did they not like about that dude. He was nails. His team is going give everything for that guy.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I saw his interview and asked myself what in the world did they not like about that dude. He was nails. His team is going give everything for that guy.
I like marsch. Idk about his tactical acumen, but he had success abroad and took Canada to a semifinal. He is outspoken and afraid of no one. I like that he will manage the game and will handle the refs and other distractions for his players.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I just read that the US is prepared to pay "high 7 figures" for a coach, part of that salary being paid by US Soccer sponsors not USSF.

As an idea this was the pay for the last WC(in Euros since it was a European article):

Best Paid Head Coaches in 2022 FIFA World Cup
1. Hans-Dieter Flick (GERMANY) – €6,500,000

2. Gareth Southgate (ENGLAND) – €5,800,000

3. Didier Deschamps (FRANCE) – €3,800,000

4. Tite (BRAZIL) – €3,600,000

5. Louis van Gaal (NETHERLANDS) – €2,900,000

6. Gerardo Martino (MEXICO) – €2,900,000

7. Lionel Scaloni (ARGENTINA) – €2,600,000

8. Félix Sánchez Bas (QATAR) – €2,400,000

9. Fernando Santos (PORTUGAL) – €2,250,000

10. Murat Yakin (SWITZERLAND) – €1,600,000

11. Paulo Bento (SOUTH KOREA) – €1,300,000

12. Graham Arnold (AUSTRALIA) – €1,300,000

13. Gregg Berhalter (USA) – €1,250,000

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I just read that the US is prepared to pay "high 7 figures" for a coach, part of that salary being paid by US Soccer sponsors not USSF.

As an idea this was the pay for the last WC(in Euros since it was a European article):

Best Paid Head Coaches in 2022 FIFA World Cup
1. Hans-Dieter Flick (GERMANY) – €6,500,000

2. Gareth Southgate (ENGLAND) – €5,800,000

3. Didier Deschamps (FRANCE) – €3,800,000

4. Tite (BRAZIL) – €3,600,000

5. Louis van Gaal (NETHERLANDS) – €2,900,000

6. Gerardo Martino (MEXICO) – €2,900,000

7. Lionel Scaloni (ARGENTINA) – €2,600,000

8. Félix Sánchez Bas (QATAR) – €2,400,000

9. Fernando Santos (PORTUGAL) – €2,250,000

10. Murat Yakin (SWITZERLAND) – €1,600,000

11. Paulo Bento (SOUTH KOREA) – €1,300,000

12. Graham Arnold (AUSTRALIA) – €1,300,000

13. Gregg Berhalter (USA) – €1,250,000
Yeah, but it's US Soccer. They'll end up paying freaking Patrick Viera 10 mill.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sophia Smith with two defenders holding her and she still. Gets thr poo off, almost scores and Swanson gets the tire rebound for a goal! What a match in USA right now again Germany!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Sophia Smith with two defenders holding her and she still. Gets thr poo off, almost scores and Swanson gets the tire rebound for a goal! What a match in USA right now again Germany!
darn, I missed it. I did see some of the mens olympic match yesterday vs. New Zealand. they won that one 4-1 as well. but the women's team beating Germany is far more impressive. looks like they are headed in the right direction, I hope.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
darn, I missed it. I did see some of the mens olympic match yesterday vs. New Zealand. they won that one 4-1 as well. but the women's team beating Germany is far more impressive. looks like they are headed in the right direction, I hope.
Recorded match and just finished watching it. Emma Hayes has whipped this team into shape. This is the best match I have seen them play in years. Off ball movement is so much better and the passing is better. Finishing is at a new level. The men's side better be taking notice of how Hayes has turned this team around and look at finding a similar coach to give the men's team a swift kick in the rear.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Recorded match and just finished watching it. Emma Hayes has whipped this team into shape. This is the best match I have seen them play in years. Off ball movement is so much better and the passing is better. Finishing is at a new level. The men's side better be taking notice of how Hayes has turned this team around and look at finding a similar coach to give the men's team a swift kick in the rear.
their first goal was exceptional.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah. They got a little fortunate at times on defense and have looked a little exposed with pace down the sides, but the overall structure and how they are building the team looks nice

Players are moving well and creating stress - just need to keep that organization in the back while pushing ahead

I definitely like the direction though