The One Stat Why We Are Out of the Playoffs

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dbacks finish with a 59% save percentage. The next worse playoff team is 62%.

I see Milwaukee as an inferior team but that 72% save percentage can carry you to the playoffs

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
And much of the disaster of that one stat is due to Lovullo's bullpen mismanagement throughout the season. He could give a clinic on how not to manage a bullpen. When Sewald's Folly blew several saves in a short period of time - Lovullo kept trotting him out there hoping for a different result. Insanity.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now here is my absolute radical idea to address this in house.

What if I told you there was a Dback with these stats in one inning:

6.17 K to Walk Ratio
.207 BA allowed
OPS+ is a 66

Who is the pitcher and should he close?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Sorry DBack fans. I thought for sure you guys were in. As a Phils fan, would have much more liked to see you guys in than the Mets (uggh!) or Braves (double uggh!!).

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now here is my absolute radical idea to address this in house.

What if I told you there was a Dback with these stats in one inning:

6.17 K to Walk Ratio
.207 BA allowed
OPS+ is a 66

Who is the pitcher and should he close?

The pitcher is Pfaadt, who is basically unhittable in the first inning. Every amount of Pfaadt's problem is 2nd time + around. He is a high strikeout / low walk pitcher, which super fits a closer role.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
And much of the disaster of that one stat is due to Lovullo's bullpen mismanagement throughout the season. He could give a clinic on how not to manage a bullpen. When Sewald's Folly blew several saves in a short period of time - Lovullo kept trotting him out there hoping for a different result. Insanity.
The worst is when a reliever came in for the 6th or the 7th and finished off the inning with like 10-15 pitches and he then rolled out with someone else the next inning who completely melts down... stay with the friggin hot hand. MLB has wussified pitchers to the point where pitching more than 1 inning is a career ender... what a joke. Problem is he over manages and gives guys "breaks" from playing baseball... rest days are for losers

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah that save stat is awful but every player on this team had a major hand in the season outcome.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We backed into the playoffs last season and should have known better than to risk that again this season.

There is no one stat that explains it. Just win any one freaking game we lost ALL season long and we were in. All the early season time wasted waiting for Carroll to "get right" sure did not help. Every time that Torey Lovullo rested guys when they were hot did not help. No excuse for losing a 7-game lead with a month left in the season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake