The Penciled In 2013 Cardinals

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Legend:

Regular text = lock for spot in final 53
Italics = not a lock, but a favorite for that spot on the final 53
[Open] = Spot is wide open for competition.

Edited: 08-18-2103 @ noon EST

QB:
- Carson Palmer
- Drew Stanton
- [Open]

RB:
- Rashard Mendenhall
- Stepfan Taylor
- Andre Ellington
- Alfonso Smith

WR:
- Larry Fitzgerald
- Michael Floyd
- Andre Roberts
- [Open]
- [Open]

FB/TE:
- Jeff King
- Rob Housler
- Jim Dray
- [DC Jefferson/Kory Sperry/Waiver Wire]
- [DC Jefferson/Kory Sperry/Waiver Wire]

OT:
- Levi Brown
- Bobby Massie
- Nate Potter
- Eric Winston

OG/OC:
- Jonathan Cooper
- Lyle Sendlein
- Paul Fanaika
- [Earl Watford/Daryn College/Mike Gibson]
- [Earl Watford/Daryn College/Mike Gibson]

DL:
- Dan Williams
- Darnell Dockett
- Calais Campbell
- Frostee Rucker
- Matt Shaughnessy
- [David Carter/Daryl Talley/Padric Scott]

OLB:
- Sam Acho
- John Abraham
- Lorenzo Alexander
- Alex Okafor

ILB:
- Karlos Dansby
- Jasper Brinkley
- Daryl Washington/Reggie Walker
- Kevin Minter

CB:
- Patrick Peterson
- Jerraud Powers
- Antoine Cason
- [Javier Arenas/Justin Bethel/Jamel Flemming]
- [Javier Arenas/Justin Bethel/Jamel Flemming]

S:
- Yeremiah Bell
- Rashad Johnson
- Tyrann Mathieu
- [Jonathan Amaya/Tony Jefferson/Curtis Taylor]

ST:
- [Jay Feely/Dan Carpenter]
- Dave Zastidul
- Mike Leach

Mitch always has a different look at the roster then I do, so his final 53, which he said he will try to keep current can be found below to compare and contrast.

Mitch's Final 53: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/cardinals-53-man-roster-v-5-0-a-198391.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information below was written when this post was first posted. The list above has changed since then.*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That leaves about 11 open spots on the final 53, only 5 spots of which don't have a player that is currently the "front runner for that spot", and I would assume Daryn Colledge, Adam Snyder, Senio Kelemete, and William Powell are going to be a majority of whom fills those 5 wide open spots. Especially with the offensive line having a good amount of talent to sort through for the interior of the line. Gathshort has a good post on the matter later in the thread.

The players I have listed above, I would dare to say would have to really screw it up to no make the final 53. That means there will be 37 guys in camp player for what could be (when accounting for the practice squad) 10 jobs. So, there will be close to an average of 4 players in camp competing for a single job with the Cardinals next season.

Bring on Camp.

Last edited:

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
QB:
- Carson Palmer
- Drew Stanton
- [Open]

RB:
- Rashard Mendenhall
- Ryan Williams
- Stepfan Taylor
- [Open]

WR:
- Larry Fitzgerald
- Michael Floyd
- Andre Roberts
- LaRon Byrd
- Ryan Swope

FB/TE:
- Jeff King
- Rob Housler
- Jim Dray
- [Open]
- [Open]

OT:
- Levi Brown
- Bobby Massie
- Nate Potter

OG/OC:
- Jonathan Cooper
- Lyle Sendlein
- Earl Watford
- [Open]
- [Open]

DL:
- Dan Williams
- Darnell Dockett
- Calais Campbell
- Matt Shaunessey
- Frostee Rucker

OLB:
- Sam Acho
- Lorenzo Alexander
- O'Brien Schofield
- Alex Okafor

ILB:
- Daryl Washington
- Jasper Brinkley
- Reggie Walker
- Kevin Minter

CB:
- Patrick Peterson
- Jerraud Powers
- Antione Cason
- Jamel Flemming
- [Open]

S:
- Yeremiah Bell
- Rashad Johnson
- Tyrann Mathieu
- [Open]

ST:
- Jay Feely
- Dave Zastidul
- [Open]

That leaves about 7 open spots on the final 53, but I would assume Daryn Colledge, Adam Snyder, Senio Kelemete, William Powell, Andre Ellington, D.C. Jefferson, and Anthony Sherman are going to be a majority of whom fills the last seven open spots.

The players I have listed above, I would dare to say would have to really screw it up to no make the final 53.

Bring on Camp.

Swope over Byrd for sure.

Ellington maybe over everybodyat RB.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I still think Big Prez has the best situation coming into camp. At TE he only has King and Dray in front of him and neither of them are even average players.

D.C. could be one of our best 7th round picks of the last 10 years matched only by the Howler.

Of course there's several months where free agents can be added so things could change for him. However, I really like what I've read about him. One of the top 20 QBs in the country coming out of HS. He has to be a great athlete.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think Ellington has a better chance to make this team than Taylor..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taylor and Ellington are both locks. Ellington migt be starting by midseason.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I actually think Ellington has a better chance to make this team than Taylor..

I have a question for you Gee, a serious one.

Do you think Ellington is better then William Powell ?

They will keep Taylor for STRICTLY pass blocking, IMO.

It will be between Ellington, Powell, Alfonso Smith, and anyone else they bring in, in my humble opinion.

I admittedly don't know much about Ellington though.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Swope over Byrd for sure.

Ellington maybe over everybodyat RB.

We will see about that.

Above is not so much a depth chart as much as it is roster space. I am more concerned about the 53 players we have at the start of the season.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know Snyder has a big contract but he offers ability to play OT, OG and C. And he or Coledge(Sp?) or both will definitely make the team. Many are saying that Watford (like Kelemete) will sit for a year. If that's the case I see both DC and AS on the team. Assuming we go with nine OL's: Brown LT, DC LG, Sendlein C, Cooper RG, Massie, RT. The reserves: Potter LT, Kelemete G, Watford G, Snyder (G,C,RT). Kelemete will go up against Rachal for a roster spot. JMO.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Drinkin the Kool Aid: Andre Ellington reminds me a little of Clinton Portis.

I watched a bunch of Clemson games the last 2 years and this kid can flat out play. I saw that they had him as a high 4.5 40 guy, but he plays like a 4.4 guy. I really like his ability to catch the ball in space and make tacklers miss.

Terrific pick. If someone would have asked me back in October what round Ellington would have been picked by the Cards, I would have guessed a late first to early second.

The Portis comparison is that he has a knack of breaking tackles for a smaller type of back. Good balance and body lean when he runs.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I watched a bunch of Clemson games the last 2 years and this kid can flat out play. I saw that they had him as a high 4.5 40 guy, but he plays like a 4.4 guy. I really like his ability to catch the ball in space and make tacklers miss.

Terrific pick. If someone would have asked me back in October what round Ellington would have been picked by the Cards, I would have guessed a late first to early second.

The Portis comparison is that he has a knack of breaking tackles for a smaller type of back. Good balance and body lean when he runs.

Ok. I am convinced by yours, and other's post.

Back to editting.

Thanks to all for the help.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Damn skippy he will. My avatar says so.

Rugby - I was looking forward to this thread. I knew you'd come thru. Good work.

Sure seems like the roster is pretty set with only a few question marks.

Glad you like it.

I love sorting through players, and rosters. This is my favorite time of year.

But, now is the downer.....it is hurry up and wait time in the NFL.

Gotta wait till June for things to pick up again.

I personally cannot wait for Mitch's breakdown. My roster breakdowns are a little more conservative than Mitch's but he also comes up with some really good ideas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I will be the first to say, that our starting talent may not be the top of the league, but our depth has improved dramatically from last year.

Our linebacking group, both inside and outside looks a heck of a lot better, and while our starting safeties to a hit talent wise, there is still a lot to be excited about in our secondary.

If the Mathieu can hold up to the hype that he is a changed man, then our secondary is going to be explosive.

Crazy to think you can put Peterson on one side of the field and Mathieu on the other side.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I will be the first to say, that our starting talent may not be the top of the league, but our depth has improved dramatically from last year.

Our linebacking group, both inside and outside looks a heck of a lot better, and while our starting safeties to a hit talent wise, there is still a lot to be excited about in our secondary.

If the Mathieu can hold up to the hype that he is a changed man, then our secondary is going to be explosive.

Crazy to think you can put Peterson on one side of the field and Mathieu on the other side.

Excellent points, Rugby.

Just having Mathieu over the top of the defense in passing situations---the way he ballhawks---wow.

BTW---great call on Giordano on the other thread, you beat me to it!