The recent play of Amare

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
When Lopez is up for an extension a new CBA will be in place that will likely limit the money he can make by a lot and Nash, JRich and Barbosa will be expired at that point as well.

cly2tw

Reaction score
They kept feeding him in the 4th qtr last night but he missed most of his shots (especially that awkward looking hook shot). I think he just gets tired and doesn't focus.

That and all his fumbling leads me to believe he still hasn't gotten used to the goggles.

Well, all these still led us to wins! As I said, Amare/Nash could be the best if they play like Malone/Stockton. And they did their best Malone/Stockton imitation the last 3 games. Simple as that.

Anyone else think it is simply a result of the Suns involving him more in the offense?

In the beginning of the season with Frye in the line-up there were stretches when he wouldn't touch the ball for an entire quarter and the Suns would just hoist up one 3 after another.

Now it looks like the Suns are back to a much more balanced approach on offense and it pays off. Lopez is producing and Amare is back to old level of play.

At this rate the Suns are best served keeping Amare and look at their options in the offseason unless Amare agrees to a reasonable extension now. 4 years for 60M$ would be reasonable in my opinion.
If they can't re-sign him you can still work out a sign and trade which probably could net us more than the deals discussed right now.

Lopez in for Frye paired with a game plan change to reduce Nash's dribbling. This by itself generates more moving around by all our players in their roles as screeners, cutters and passers. And in addition, they went to Amare a lot to facilitate our offense. Suddenly, we found out that we had better talent to play "regular", say Sloan type of, offense than we never discovered due to Nash ball dominance! And, with saved energy, Nash's defense has been as good as he ever played.

The funny point is, Nash's assists number didn't suffer much playing this way, just like Stockton used to lead the league in assists without Nash-like ball dominating. And in one stretch of Den game at start of 3rd, he reverted to DA-time ball-dribbling and pnr with Amare, with bad results (4 TOs in short time between him and Amare). Gentry was smart enough to call a timeout and correct that. And we kept our solid grip of the lead throughout the rest for the win.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
My how things have changed. We are talking about when we can get an extension for Robin Lopez?? LOL

Get ready to have me owning that sig for 6 months Eric ;)

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
IMO, $14-15 million a year is fair but the max is a bit much... should be an interesting 2 weeks though.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Amare has played 3 good games in a row. Big whoop. We know who he is. In other words, he is who we know he is. Don't get lulled. Hopefully, his recent play will lull another team and NOT ours....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Get ready to have me owning that sig for 6 months Eric ;)

Heck, it's win-win as far as I'm concerned. If Lopez can make me eat my words, great.

I'm just annoyed that the A$FN bosses wiped out my account, so that I can no longer pay you in the way we set up.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Lopez will be eligible for an extension following his fourth season, assuming the Suns pick up his fourth-year option.

Under the current CBA you can negotiate an extention after the 3rd year but the 4th year would still be on rookie scale before the extention kicks in.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Amare has played 3 good games in a row. Big whoop. We know who he is. In other words, he is who we know he is. Don't get lulled. Hopefully, his recent play will lull another team and NOT ours....

Exactly! We have all seen this before. He will go back to his real self before too long.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Did it ever occur to anyone that other teams might be thinking the exact same thing?

Chap, this is the 2nd time today that I have had to draw attention to context in a thread. Part of the point I made (and that SS32 agreed to) was that hopefully he lulls another team and not the Suns. Hopefully. Focus a bit more on context....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, this is the 2nd time today that I have had to draw attention to context in a thread. Part of the point I made (and that SS32 agreed to) was that hopefully he lulls another team and not the Suns. Hopefully. Focus a bit more on context....

Hmm, I wasn't quoting you and the post I quoted was pretty specific. We've spent weeks (mostly started by slinslin) coming up with all these trade scenarios, and in a majority of them it looks good for us, but not for the other team. This is a trend for all Suns fans (and probably other teams as well) that is just unrealistic. With Isaiah Thomas gone from the league, I'm not sure there's a GM left that could get fooled by the shortcomings we've all discussed. Maybe Steve Kerr, but unfortunately he's OUR GM. ;)

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
And that's exactly my point. In the end, the Suns FO probably WILL get lulled (read: duped) by Amare's recent play. We, as fans, can only hope that for once, this FO does something decent....

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Is Amare just lazy?

It seems like he can turn it on when ever he wants, just doesn't seem like he wants to often enough.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
And that's exactly my point. In the end, the Suns FO probably WILL get lulled (read: duped) by Amare's recent play. We, as fans, can only hope that for once, this FO does something decent....

IMO this is unfair. Kerr has made some mistakes but he's made some good moves lately. The drafting of Lopez and Dragic were good picks and the Doris for JRich trade was a good one especially when you factor in Dudley. Say what you want about JRich I'll still take him over Doris any day.

I'd even call the Shaq move a wash. We got to see Shaq for a while when this team wasn't going anywhere anyway and if the Suns had kept Marion they probably would have given him a bad contract. At least now that whole business is behind us.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare is playing so well because the trade deadline is approaching and is trying to impressive other teams with his recent play :), come on no one finds it a tad fish that all the sudden Amare is tearing it up since were near the tradedeadline lol? Hey I hope i'm wrong but how pissed will everyone be when after the trade deadline if we don't trade him he will go back to being non rebounding amare. heh

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The word I have designated for Amare is 'loafer'. I think it is apt and fair....

Do you have any idea how hard he would have had to work in order to rehab from his injuries? It's hard to reconcile that kind of effort with "loafer". I think it's more of an ego issue than it is effort. Everytime he put forth solid effort defensively he'd rack up fouls and have to sit on the bench and you can't score from the sidelines. If he scores points he gets to play in the All-Star game and that's proof enough to him that his style works.

Even with his blemishes his on-court performance is still worth a max/near max salary IMO. When you factor in his injuries and the likelihood that another is coming soon most teams won't be able to justify that risk but there are a few that can and will.

Steve

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
1) The way the All Star game starters get in is a complete sham. Amare had a whole website and marketing campaign to get him in. Basically, it's a popularity contest....

2) Max/near max is insane for this guy.

3) On his rehab, sure he came back and all credit to him on that, but you can't deny that he's motivated in spurts and that's it. You look at him play and he looks lost and disinterested. Sure he can kick it up to somethimes phenomenal levels, but do you think he'd be willing to let his contract coincide directly with when he's on or when he's off?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
1) The way the All Star game starters get in is a complete sham. Amare had a whole website and marketing campaign to get him in. Basically, it's a popularity contest....

2) Max/near max is insane for this guy.

3) On his rehab, sure he came back and all credit to him on that, but you can't deny that he's motivated in spurts and that's it. You look at him play and he looks lost and disinterested. Sure he can kick it up to somethimes phenomenal levels, but do you think he'd be willing to let his contract coincide directly with when he's on or when he's off?

"Loafers" with big time talent are the ones that drive me nuts. Loafers with no talent just post on ASFN.

Amare has shown that he can amp up his game when he wants to, so why doesn't he "want to" every night? I know a lot of hard work and prep goes into staying in shape and being an NBA player but you only have to turn it on full throttle for 35 minutes a night 82 times a year.

Really what's the difference energy wise between an Amare 20 point 5 rebound game and a 28 point 13 rebound game?

If someone has some insight that I'm missing please share. There are so many players in the league that give a full effort every single night that suck it just frustrates me to no end when I see a player that has tremendous talent but only achieves above average results.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Amare has shown that he can amp up his game when he wants to, so why doesn't he "want to" every night? I know a lot of hard work and prep goes into staying in shape and being an NBA player but you only have to turn it on full throttle for 35 minutes a night 82 times a year.

Really what's the difference energy wise between an Amare 20 point 5 rebound game and a 28 point 13 rebound game?

If someone has some insight that I'm missing please share. There are so many players in the league that give a full effort every single night that suck it just frustrates me to no end when I see a player that has tremendous talent but only achieves above average results.
The difference is driven from within. Whether a basketball player, an office worker, a politician or, sad to say, even a doctor.

Some people are driven by recognition. Others by the genuine need to do their best. It all comes down to inherent personality.

There have been many examples in sports. Decades ago in baseball, Richie Allen had the potential to become one of the all-time greats. And that was long before steroids. But he never gave his all, either in preparation (mental or physical) or in performance.

Even if a player is driven to excel in all aspects, he still has to overcome the diversions that come with fame, such as drugs, nightlife.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been many examples in sports. Decades ago in baseball, Richie Allen had the potential to become one of the all-time greats. And that was long before steroids. But he never gave his all, either in preparation (mental or physical) or in performance.

Unless you want him to hunt you down you need to call him Dick Allen. But, you're right on Richie and on Amare.

Steve

cly2tw

Reaction score
"Loafers" with big time talent are the ones that drive me nuts. Loafers with no talent just post on ASFN.

Insight? What else has been different in the lcurrent win streak? Amare's touches, not just for finishing but for trying to facilitate ball movement. It has been said for more than 3 years that Amare were to become Point-Center or Point-Forward. Yet, Nash used to be a lot more efficient than he is now. When you could score so easily with Nash dribbling, why care to develop Amare into a complete player and bear all the expected turnovers DHoward and Jefferson had to make before becoming proficient. Nash can make his teammates lazy because they often don't need to be putting in more effort to win a game. And when they are needed when Nash gets exposed, they can't take on more responsibility cos' they haven't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05