The Roster as it Stands.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirStefan32
I wonder if the Suns are REALLY stupid enough to actually not trade Gortat this year.

url]http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f7/suns-dont-want-to-trade-gortat-now-may-keep-him-to-be-part-of-future-196581.html[/url]

I don't know what you guys are upset about??? The Suns traded him to 29 other teams this offseason. Apparently, there is a little known rule that the deal can't actually be finalized if the other team doesn't agree to it. Sucky rules.:D

We really don't know what they've tried to do with Gortat or what they're going to do in the near future. I say worry about something you have control over like the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse and leave these trivial NBA issues to the people that have the final say - the shoe companies.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Come on. You don't seriously believe the crap they feed the media do you? What else would they say? I'd be shocked if they said anything else.
See, people said that when reports came out that the Suns red flagged McLemore, it was false report. People said that when reports came out that the Suns won't touch McLemore, it was false report.

So now I'm gonna start believing in these reports instead of assuming their all lies.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh geez, keep Brown and waive Haddadi? I thought Brown was as good as gone, and Haddadi was safe. I wonder if the Suns are REALLY stupid enough to actually not trade Gortat this year.

I think the general idea is that they keep a player unless they are replacing him with something better. I don't see the point in keeping Haddadi, especially if they think Frye is coming back. They now have Gortat, Frye, and Len.

Still, I would have waived Brown. Who knows, maybe a trade is in the works.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with carey and KloD. Brown is a cheap asset for a SG and probably will be used in a trade. It would only save the Suns 1.75 M if they waived him. Where are they going to get another SG for 1.75 M.

I think the Suns will try to trade Gortat. IMO, Haddadi would likely not fit with the Suns uptempo offense.

Isn't there a minimum team aggregate salary now? I wonder how close the Suns are to it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See, people said that when reports came out that the Suns red flagged McLemore, it was false report. People said that when reports came out that the Suns won't touch McLemore, it was false report.

So now I'm gonna start believing in these reports instead of assuming their all lies.

I think you are correct. They did not get what they thought would be value for Gortat. Maybe Horny has talked to him and Gortat wants to stay. After all, with all the teams rebuilding now there are a lot of vets floating around to be had.

No one is saying anything about Scola.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
That is truly an awful lineup and I would say as far as current and future potential it is the worst in the NBA which is a good thing IMO, better to be the worst than middle of the road year after year, and as far as Gortat, Dudley and including Scola will all go to contenders before the trade deadline, you will always get more @ that point in time then you will at the draft.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is truly an awful lineup and I would say as far as current and future potential it is the worst in the NBA which is a good thing IMO, better to be the worst than middle of the road year after year, and as far as Gortat, Dudley and including Scola will all go to contenders before the trade deadline, you will always get more @ that point in time then you will at the draft.

Really? I never thought that desperate bids to unload players at the trade deadline, especially when they are expiring anyway, netted that much.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Isn't there a minimum team aggregate salary now? I wonder how close the Suns are to it.

Not very at all, because Josh Childress still counts towards our salary floor every season till he would have been off the books (but not the cap obviously).

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IMO this is what the lineup should look like

Marshall/Goodwin
Dragic/Lee/Brown
Tucker/Dudley
Oriakhi/Morris/Beasley
Gortat/Len

I was against Goodwin at PG at first but now it kinda makes sense. We surround Goodwin and Len with all shooters since that's what they want anyway.

Oriakhi can become a poor man's Kenneth Faried. We can use his D and rebounding in the starting lineup. Him and Tucker will give us some great motor with the starters.

Scola gets traded this summer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO this is what the lineup should look like

Marshall/Goodwin
Dragic/Lee/Brown
Tucker/Dudley
Oriakhi/Morris/Beasley
Gortat/Len

I was against Goodwin at PG at first but now it kinda makes sense. We surround Goodwin and Len with all shooters since that's what they want anyway.

Oriakhi can become a poor man's Kenneth Faried. We can use his D and rebounding in the starting lineup. Him and Tucker will give us some great motor with the starters.

Scola gets traded this summer.

I would be shocked if Oriakhi makes the team. He is nowhere close to Faried who led the nation in rebounding.

Even then, could that lineup score, like, at all (to quote my son).

I have a hunch that Channing Frye is going to be back this year AND that he will be our starting PF.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You have the number 57 pick starting at PF? Sigh
Yea the rest of the PFs we have suck. Read the article I posted in the Oriakhi thread which talked about how the Suns have the 2nd worst PFs in the roster after the Bobcats.
I would be shocked if Oriakhi makes the team. He is nowhere close to Faried who led the nation in rebounding.

Even then, could that lineup score, like, at all (to quote my son).

I have a hunch that Channing Frye is going to be back this year AND that he will be our starting PF.
If Frye is back then yea that changes everything but this is assuming he stays retired.

And Goodwin is a pretty good driver to the rim, draw fouls type of guy, Marshall could run pick and roll with Gortat and Dragic can do his thing too.

It won't be a good scoring lineup but none of the Suns lineups will be. We will be a bad offensive team as well as being a bad defensive team next year. That's just a given.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Good lord, Marshall is useless. And you want him to start? I guess if you're part of the tanking crowd, a lineup of Marshall/Dragic/Morris/Morris/Gortat won't win many games. lol

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Good lord, Marshall is useless. And you want him to start? I guess if you're part of the tanking crowd, a lineup of Marshall/Dragic/Morris/Morris/Gortat won't win many games. lol

I am all for tanking too, but that lineup is beyond tanking. Developing young players is fine, and I don't really care how many games we win, but with a young team, you have to be really careful not to get used be being blown out by 30 points every night- it's demoralizing. You don't want them to get used to losing and humiliation.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am all for tanking too, but that lineup is beyond tanking. Developing young players is fine, and I don't really care how many games we win, but with a young team, you have to be really careful not to get used be being blown out by 30 points every night- it's demoralizing. You don't want them to get used to losing and humiliation.
That is a conundrum I have been wrestling with since the beginning of last season.

-- How can I root for my favorite team of 38 years to be the worst in the NBA for a whole season?

-- And, as you pointed out, how can our coaching staff lead its roster to failure, then suddenly think like winners after next year's draft?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a conundrum I have been wrestling with since the beginning of last season.

-- How can I root for my favorite team of 38 years to be the worst in the NBA for a whole season?

-- And, as you pointed out, how can our coaching staff lead its roster to failure, then suddenly think like winners after next year's draft?

To me, it's a matter of giving the young guys a lot of playing time even if that doesn't give us the best chance to win. Make them play the right way. I'll enjoy watching them develop.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Oh, I can watch them lose game after game- I have no problem with that. I'll be fine if they don't win a single game.
My concern is the young guys getting demoralized, and "learning to lose." They need to be bad enough to win no more than 20-25 games, but they shouldn't be so bad that they lose 70 games by an average margin of 25 points.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Update:

PG: Bledsoe, Marshall
SG: Dragic, Brown, Goodwin
SF: Butler, Tucker, Mc Morris
PF: Scola, Mk Morris, Beasley
C: Gortat, Len

Free Agents: Johnson and O'Neal
Team Options: Tucker (guaranteed to exercise)
Fighting for roster spots: Garrett, Lee, and Oriakhi
Medical: Channing Frye

We now have 13 active players under contract. 14 if you count Frye. Garrett's chances of making the team have decreased significantly unless we move Marshall of Dragic.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need to move the Morris boys and Beasley.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Update:

PG: Bledsoe, Marshall
SG: Dragic, Brown, Goodwin
SF: Butler, Tucker, Mc Morris
PF: Scola, Mk Morris, Beasley
C: Gortat, Len

Free Agents: Johnson and O'Neal
Team Options: Tucker (guaranteed to exercise)
Fighting for roster spots: Garrett, Lee, and Oriakhi
Medical: Channing Frye

We now have 13 active players under contract. 14 if you count Frye. Garrett's chances of making the team have decreased significantly unless we move Marshall of Dragic.
Suns see Goodwin as a PG though right? My guess is that he's ahead of Marshall on the depth chart by the time summer league/training camp is over.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I see it Dragic, assuming he stays, will likely play a lot of point guard on offense and defend shooting guards while he and Bledsoe are on the floor together.

I would love to get rid of the Morris twins, Michael Beasley… Especially Michael Beasley, and Marshall as well, but none of them have positive value in a trade. I don't know, maybe McDonagh can find somebody desperate enough to take on one of these guys in order to facilitate some sign and trade.

Joe

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake