The thing that depresses me about the future

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Most of us will agree the Cardinals are building a team that is close to being playoff caliber. We all know Warner is not the long term solution. Eventually we will need to get a QB for the future. If we draft one it will take at least 3 years for them to be successful. I for one have no idea what Green's long term objective at QB is. I would be shocked if he entrusted this team to McCown again.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Yes I'm so used to winning superbowls and making the playoffs every year that I won't be able to stand starting a rookie QB and missing the playoffs while we establish a franchise QB.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Have no worries, McCown is NOT the QB of the future here. Green could draft a QB next year, and have him ready the year after. I don't know about all this 3 year time frame. One year on the bench is more then enough. Or we can just keep picking up veterans that get cut, like Denny previously did. But I truly think that Denny, is trying to fix his mistakes of the past so I think we will be going after a long term QB next year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't have time to be depressed about the future because I'm so busy being depressed about the present...

OP
OP
General Chaos

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I am tired of the veteran hand-me downs we usually get. I would like to waste $50 mill on a 22 year old like.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Yes I'm so used to winning superbowls and making the playoffs every year that I won't be able to stand starting a rookie QB and missing the playoffs while we establish a franchise QB.

LOL, all we have is time...

and next year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I envision is a scenario where Warner buys us a year or two and (if the #$%^& offensive line can get its act together) we can still be a playoff-caliber team during this period.

Then the question becomes - "Can McCown improve to a point where he moves from backup and QBOF to a starting QB we can win with?" Since backup QB's are seldom seen or heard, only the coaches know (at least for now).

What I wouldn't be upset about would be if we were able to draft Vince Young this Spring with the goal of building our offensive system, once again, to one that centers around a mobile QB (McCown and Young both fit that profile).

The scenarios could be (a) Warner remains our starter for 2005 and 2006, with McCown phased in if and when he can prove he's better for us than Warner. Young becomes his backup. (b) McCown takes over as starter to start 2006 with Young as his backup. (c) Young proves he's so good, despite being a rookie that he becomes the starter and McCown remains a backup. (There's a 4th scenario (d) where McCown replaces Warner sometime during this season, but I don't even want to contemplate that).

OP
OP
General Chaos

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
What I envision is a scenario where Warner buys us a year or two and (if the #$%^& offensive line can get its act together) we can still be a playoff-caliber team during this period.

Then the question becomes - "Can McCown improve to a point where he moves from backup and QBOF to a starting QB we can win with?" Since backup QB's are seldom seen or heard, only the coaches know (at least for now).

What I wouldn't be upset about would be if we were able to draft Vince Young this Spring with the goal of building our offensive system, once again, to one that centers around a mobile QB (McCown and Young both fit that profile).

The scenarios could be (a) Warner remains our starter for 2005 and 2006, with McCown phased in if and when he can prove he's better for us than Warner. Young becomes his backup. (b) McCown takes over as starter to start 2006 with Young as his backup. (c) Young proves he's so good, despite being a rookie that he becomes the starter and McCown remains a backup. (There's a 4th scenario (d) where McCown replaces Warner sometime during this season, but I don't even want to contemplate that).

I'm a fan of Omar Jacobs in the middle of the 1st round

Reaction score
First you guys need an offensive line any rookie you put in there is gonna struggle if the opposing defense has constant pressure on him.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74 said:
First you guys need an offensive line any rookie you put in there is gonna struggle if the opposing defense has constant pressure on him.
Let me guess your a brain surgeon. No, no, no a rocket scientist.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Let me guess your a brain surgeon. No, no, no a rocket scientist.

Why you being a Dick to the newbie? :shrug:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

I don't think there is any reason why Kurt can't keep playing at a high level this year, 2006, and maybe even 2007, provided he doesn't break his neck behind our line.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
I don't think there is any reason why Kurt can't keep playing at a high level this year, 2006, and maybe even 2007, provided he doesn't break his neck behind our line.

Ummm... "keep playing"? What Kurt Warner are you watching? The one that I've been watching has put up a 77.4 passer rating (16th in the NFL), and is completing 63% of his passes. That sounds like the definition of "Mediocre" to me.

The luminaries that have been performing better than Warner so far this season include Drew Bledsoe, Trent Dilfer, Mark Brunell, and Brian Griese. And by "luminaries" I do mean "has beens."

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Have no worries, McCown is NOT the QB of the future here. Green could draft a QB next year, and have him ready the year after. I don't know about all this 3 year time frame. One year on the bench is more then enough. Or we can just keep picking up veterans that get cut, like Denny previously did. But I truly think that Denny, is trying to fix his mistakes of the past so I think we will be going after a long term QB next year.

You have no idea whether McCown is the future here or not.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Ummm... "keep playing"? What Kurt Warner are you watching? The one that I've been watching has put up a 77.4 passer rating (16th in the NFL), and is completing 63% of his passes. That sounds like the definition of "Mediocre" to me.

The luminaries that have been performing better than Warner so far this season include Drew Bledsoe, Trent Dilfer, Mark Brunell, and Brian Griese. And by "luminaries" I do mean "has beens."

Well if recievers didn't get the drops everytime they where in the endzone, it would be close to or above 100 passer rating. Also for having the most attempts in the league, 63% completion is very good.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
He is not. We don't pay out 80 million dollars to our WR's, for them to achieve such high goals as 40 yards a game. Josh is clueless when on the field.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Skkorp:

True enough. But it sure seems like a guy who (1) got benched in midseason, (2) only got his job back after the 2nd and 3rd stringers stunk it up and got hurt, respectively, and (3) was effectively replaced in the offseason by an FA acquisition, probably lost his QOF lapel pin somewhere along the way.

I certainly hope Josh McCown isn't the future of this franchise at quarterback. I hate to think that I could become nostalgic for Jake Plummer. :eek:

WC

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Well if recievers didn't get the drops everytime they where in the endzone, it would be close to or above 100 passer rating. Also for having the most attempts in the league, 63% completion is very good.

Well, if my aunt had gnads, she'd be my uncle. And if Warner didn't throw picks when there wasn't a Cardinal nearby, his rating would be higher, as well. And if he didn't fumble in the red zone, the Cards might have won a game.

The facts are what they are. And the fact is that Warner hasn't played at a high level in five years. Saying that he "could continue to play at a high level" is pretty silly.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

Warner is not perfect...we are not dealing with Tom Brady or Joe Montana in their prime but he is the best QB the Cards have had since Lomax and you take the good with the bad. He will take a sack...he will fumble the ball. However, he delievered the ball right into BJ's breadbasket on the goal-line and I am pretty sure the outcome of the game would have changed...

I will take Warner over Dilfer, Brunell, and quite a few others at this point.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
Warner is not perfect...we are not dealing with Tom Brady or Joe Montana in their prime but he is the best QB the Cards have had since Lomax and you take the good with the bad. He will take a sack...he will fumble the ball. However, he delievered the ball right into BJ's breadbasket on the goal-line and I am pretty sure the outcome of the game would have changed...

I will take Warner over Dilfer, Brunell, and quite a few others at this point.

That's fine, but "playing at a high level" is an objective observation, and that's not the truth. He's playing at a level that's "barely passable" for a guy that's been in the league eight years and won a couple of MVP awards. Let's call things as they are.

Kurt Warner's performance is all of eight points higher than what Jeff Blake had here with only Anquan Boldin to throw to. It's less than how Jake performed in the 2001 season. How is this "at a high level"? One dropped pass isn't going to change much, and it's absolutely not going to raise his rating by 20-plus points, as CW apparently believes.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

K9:

Let's keep those stats in context. Warner's playing behind one of--I'm being generous--the worst o-lines in the NFL, with only the threat of the league's 28th-ranked run game to keep defenses from bringing it every down. It's a miracle he's played as well as he has.

For what it's worth, his QB rating climbed to 82.1 for last week's game, with 69 percent completions. And after two weeks, Warner's 4th in the league for passing yards, with 591. Given this team's recent history at the position, I'd say that passes for "high level" QB play, or something close to it. :thumbup:

WC

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
K9:

Let's keep those stats in context. Warner's playing behind one of--I'm being generous--the worst o-lines in the NFL, with only the threat of the league's 28th-ranked run game to keep defenses from bringing it every down. It's a miracle he's played as well as he has.

For what it's worth, his QB rating climbed to 82.1 for last week's game, with 69 percent completions. And after two weeks, Warner's 4th in the league for passing yards, with 591. Given this team's recent history at the position, I'd say that passes for "high level" QB play, or something close to it. :thumbup:

WC

For Cardinal quarterbacks, it is a "high level." But that's not how it was qualified in the original post. Warner's passing yards are goofy because (1) the Cards don't have a run game and (2) because they were down by 5000 points for a quarter and a half against he Giants.

Kurt did put up an 82.1 passer rating against the 49ers, but that's not saying much considering that they may have the worst secondary in the NFL and that the illustrious Tim Rattay--he of the 61.0 career passer rating--had a 141.9 rating against the Rams beind a nearly-as-bad offensive line and an even less productive ground game (Kevan Barlow had 22 rushing yards and a 1.6 YPC average against the Rams). If you want to get on the "Kurt Warner is just as good as Tim Rattay" bandwagon, you're more than welcome. By the way, Rattay's targers were a bunch of guys that couldn't start on any other team in the NFL.

So, I guess we just did put Kurt's stats in context, didn't we? I guess he's somewhere between Tim Rattay and Aaron Brooks.

And please, everyone, get off the O-line's backs until you've watched some of the truly putrid O-line play around the league. Houston, St. Louis, Baltimore, Jacksonville, and Washington have all given up as many if not more sacks than we have. Houston and St. Louis particularly stand out as an argument for people who say that the only reason our ground game stinks is because our O-line is so bad. Domanick Davis is rushing for 3.7 YPC and Clinton Portis is putting up a torrid 4.6 YPC number.