The villiage review

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh exactly like the 6th sense but in reverse. In stead of sitting through 1 100 minute snooze fest to get to 2 minutes of oh wow like in the 6th sense this movie you sat through about 30 minutes of oh this story is kewl to oh damn that was SOOOOOOO stupid.

Signs is the only good movie this guy made thus far.

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
I have to say Shymalan or however you spell his name did a great job of tricking the audience. Yea Signs was a lot better, but this sitll was a great movie.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry SWD, I don't know why you even see his movies...they are ALL like that for the most part.

I really liked this movie...and I was surprised because I thought it would suck after seeing the 40% it got on Rotten Tomatoes.

But this was good, suspenseful in parts, but also a cool story overall with the Village itself and the people.

It was like a big budget Twilight Zone episode, and I LOVE the Twilight Zone...this was just so well done with the cinematography and acting even I thought.

Mike

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Sorry SWD, I don't know why you even see his movies...they are ALL like that for the most part.

I really liked this movie...and I was surprised because I thought it would suck after seeing the 40% it got on Rotten Tomatoes.

But this was good, suspenseful in parts, but also a cool story overall with the Village itself and the people.

It was like a big budget Twilight Zone episode, and I LOVE the Twilight Zone...this was just so well done with the cinematography and acting even I thought.

Mike
No offense Mike but I always think you are Kate posting when I see you avatar. Good thing you put your name at the bottom.

My brother is going to see this movie right now. I'll have to get his take on it.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
No offense Mike but I always think you are Kate posting when I see you avatar. Good thing you put your name at the bottom.

LOL - HEY! Why should he take offense? Everyone should be so priveleged to be mistaken for me. :D :hulk:

Ok I will shuttup and get off this thread because I still haven't seen the movie...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Movie Review by Cheesebeef:

The Village Idiot - Written, produced and directed by M. Night Shymalama-ding-dong

HOLY **** - that is all I had to say when this wanna-be Hitchcock unleashed his latest surprise twist. While watching this transperant piece of detrius (trash in GRE terms), and realizing that the signature Ding-dong twist was waiting for me, my mind wandered during the slower parts of the movie - well - I guess that encompasses the whole of the movie save the last ten minutes. While racking my brain I stumbled upon what would be the most ridiculous, outrageous and most comical thing it could be - I shook my head and said - NO! No way could that be it . . . It couldn't possibly be . . . About an hour later, Ding-dong truly did unleash the horror the movie was supposed to scare up in the previous 110 minutes - but much to my chagrine, this horror wasn't due to dramatic tension building up and exploding or a
revelation that had me completely duped - no this was the horror of the realization that what I had thought would have been absolutely the worst possible twist that there could be in the world - was the reality of
what I was watching.

Sadly for me - I saw it by myself - I would have killed for someone to have been sitting next to me in order to utter the groaning words of disbelief - OH MY GOD! I walked out of the movie before the credits even rolled - I had seen it all by that point and I had seen enough.

This Director needs to step back and try just telling a straight story - this movie was half-way decent, but so unbvearingly predictable and ultimately ******** due to the "twist" it seems that M. is a one trick pony still living off the success of The Sixth Sense (which I though was one of the best movie I have ever seen) - you guys do realzie that he had two other movies beofre that smash, both which were horrible. I think he caught lightning in a bottle with that one - then had a great conceptual piece with Unbreakable, that was alos a pretty good movie - even though the "twist" was pretty transperant inthat one also - and then made a stunning piece of horror/thriller genre film in Signs before pissing away anything he had built up in that film once the family came out of the cellar.

I didn't believe what a lot of my friends told me about this film, nor the reviews I had read on line - but believe me, it seemed like everyone in the theater I walked out with were groaning.

Absolute Trash - I haven;'t despised a movie like this in a LOOOOOOONG Time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:

Mike

For Mike

********** SPOILERS *********

mike - you do understand the message M. Night was conveying with the entire movie directly relating to our government and their affect on society don't you? It suprises me knowing your poltical affiliations that you would like this film. Pedsonally - I got the message - just thought the vehicle for it was ridiculous and poorly played out.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snooze fest - I was so bored with this film. Decent story, but could have been done in 22 minutes.

OP
OP
C

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Absolute Trash - I haven;'t despised a movie like this in a LOOOOOOONG Time.

Copy this post and call it the 6th sense review and Unbreakable review.....

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
For Mike

********** SPOILERS *********

mike - you do understand the message M. Night was conveying with the entire movie directly relating to our government and their affect on society don't you? It suprises me knowing your poltical affiliations that you would like this film. Pedsonally - I got the message - just thought the vehicle for it was ridiculous and poorly played out.

No, please explain it to me...because you guys seem to be looking at this more than just a movie. I mean, all his movies are essentially the same...

Your guys posts are hilarious to me..."it could have been done in 22 minutes..." so could MANY MANY movies.

I'm tired, can't get a good thought down right now, please post the political message.

Mike

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
:( I expected more from this movie I did like how he tricked everyone into thinking one thing like the towns people did and then created a twist. I do wish they would have waited to the very end to let us know it would have made the movie better. But all in all it was ok not his best work but good. If you see the movie with lower expectations then it might be a good movie to see.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I walked out ANGRY.

With all the hype and previews.....I can't remember the last time I had so much anticipation for a movie, and I also can't remember the last time I walked out of a theater seriously contemplating about DEMANDING my money back.

******SPOILER*******

As soon as it was said that Ivy was going to the towns for medicine, I looked at my wife and said "It's set in modern time". Big whoop.

How absolutely convenient was it that a costume just happened to be under the floor where psycho-boy was being held and he just HAPPENED to think "Hmmm, I wonder what's under here?"

Lame.

Stupid, stupid movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
No, please explain it to me...because you guys seem to be looking at this more than just a movie. I mean, all his movies are essentially the same...

Mike

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040803/ts_nm/security_alert_dc_29

create an atmosphere of fear . . . using color codings - red, yellow . . . the newspaper M. Night was reading at the end . . .

Also - the only reason I was sooooo violently pissed about this movie is because I believe Shamalan is one of the few incredibly talented directors making mainstream movies today. So right off the bat - I don't believe any director worth a lick just makes a moie to make a movie and if you believe that, then you don't understand great direction. Great direction isn't flashy camera work - it's delivering a message. That's why I see the political undertones of this movie - it's was pretty apparent to me anyways.

But second I'm so pissed because this movie was just flat out lazy and ridiculous to boot - like I said - I was deathly afraid that I had figured out what the "twist" was gonna be at the end and when it happened - I literally wanted to puke because it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen from someone as talented as Sham is.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
How absolutely convenient was it that a costume just happened to be under the floor where psycho-boy was being held and he just HAPPENED to think "Hmmm, I wonder what's under here?"

Lame.

Stupid, stupid movie.

What I think you're missing, and a few of us were discussing it, that guy found the suit there a long time ago, which was probably the big reason he wasn't afraid of going out into the woods.

If you remember, he had been put in that room a few times before, if not many times.

Mike

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
What I think you're missing, and a few of us were discussing it, that guy found the suit there a long time ago, which was probably the big reason he wasn't afraid of going out into the woods.

If you remember, he had been put in that room a few times before, if not many times.

Mike

And was one reason why he was always laughing at the others IMHO - he knew the truth....

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
And was one reason why he was always laughing at the others IMHO - he knew the truth....
Could be true I remember a picture on a rock by the forest but I don't remeber what it was. I know it was yellow and might have had a clue that he knew what was going on. I am not going to see it again just for that but if someone is going to go see it please rember what it was.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Eh, I'm with Cheesy on this one...waaaaay too predictable. Movies like this that are too predictable feel like they're beating you over the head with their agenda...it just gets old after a while, when you already know what's going on. And it was NOT that hard to figure it out.

***slight spoiler***

I mean, it's just 1984 in the woods, folks, without the Big Brother element.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brandon said:
I have to say Shymalan... did a great job of tricking the audience.
I didn't read any spoilers anywhere before I went to see it, and one of my first thoughts when it opened was "in what year is this supposed to be set?" I kinda thought right from the beginning when the "the towns" were first mentioned that it would be set in modern times.

I thought the movie overall was okay, but Shaymalan has shot himself in the foot by becomeing "famous" for his "twists." This one was a real let-down.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05