This is not my Cards team

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm a season ticket holder.

I went to all the games last year, and even when we lost, I was impressed. Last year, we had a great deal more pass protection. Sure, we couldn't run, but really we didn't try. The defense was intense. I almost never just felt out of a game. It was obvious we were >< close to something special. We lost some heartbreakers and I thought we'd turn the corner.

Even walking about of the first game win against the 49ers, I thought we played sloppy and got lucky. Week 3 when we lost that unspeakable game to the Rams, it wasn't the intense struggle with a mistake, it was bad football on both sides and we out-badded them.

I can see how our team has more talent, not less. There is no one player we lost that makes me wonder what changed.. but something in the intensity on the field has changed.

Its obvious we are a few talented players short (cough - offensive linemen - cough) of being a very good team... but we just feel more short this year than last year.

Now its come to me. Its our pass rush. We don't have the amazing pass rush that we had last year, the led to the feeling that any play, something great can happen for the Cardinals. Okeafor has looked pretty good from my perspective, getting to the ball, making tackles even off his play... but my favorite Cardinal, the one whose jersey I usually wear every game, Bertrand Berry has looked... absent. I think we need to do whatever it takes to get his mind and body focused back on that pro-bowl level because our intensity seems to have gone away with his sacks.

Just my .02

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wait a minute. This year is exactly like last year. Only the first and fourth games were switched to accommodate the opening of the new stadium.

In 2005 they blew a game against the Rams at home, got waxed by Seattle on the road, beat the 49ers, and got hammered by a non division foe on the road. Special teams were awful in that non division game

In 2006 they blew a game against the Rams at home, got waxed by Seattle on the road, beat the 49ers, and got hammered by a non division foe on the road. Special teams were awful in that non division game.

Reaction score
Wait a minute. This year is exactly like last year. Only the first and fourth games were switched to accommodate the opening of the new stadium.

In 2005 they blew a game against the Rams at home, got waxed by Seattle on the road, beat the 49ers, and got hammered by a non division foe on the road. Special teams were awful in that non division game

In 2006 they blew a game against the Rams at home, got waxed by Seattle on the road, beat the 49ers, and got hammered by a non division foe on the road. Special teams were awful in that non division game.
That's right... So your saying, "things are looking up!" :koolaid:

:wink2:

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
That's right... So your saying, "things are looking up!" :koolaid:

:wink2:

Just no surprises to look forward to...makes it easier to get thru 4 quarters and the ridiculous parking when it's time to start looking forward to the next week :)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just no surprises to look forward to...makes it easier to get thru 4 quarters and the ridiculous parking when it's time to start looking forward to the next week :)

Right you are. So is this the week that the Cards win a game at home that either no one expects them to win or happens right as everyone has given them up for dead? They seem to do it every year.*

*Unless it is a year where they start out the season with a few wins. Then they lose a game they shouldn't, the QB gets hurt, and they go 0-fer the rest of the season.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This feels like my same lame ass Cards teams I have been watching throughout these years, faces change product stays the same.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This feels like my same lame ass Cards teams I have been watching throughout these years, faces change product stays the same.

Exactly. I am not sure what past Cardinal teams Tigtoad is referring to.

Louisville maybe?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Berry

TigToad is right on. If Berry doesn't have a breakout game, this week, going against a backup (Jordan Black) to a backup (Kyle Turley), assuming that Turley was only playing because Roaf retired, then we are in big trouble.

OP
OP
TigToad

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
record

Maybe its my bizarro world perspective.. but it appeared to me that we forced more turn overs last year, we had a stronger passing attack last year, the defense played with a passion that was exciting to watch.

I'm not saying we didn't choke when it mattered, we're the Cardinals. I'm saying that until that choke point, we generally looked pretty good.

Support for my side, our defense and offense were top 10 last year when we found a way to lose. This year, we're top 30, I think.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe its my bizarro world perspective.. but it appeared to me that we forced more turn overs last year...
Beware the small sample size.

We've played just 4 games. In three of them, we faced strong run threats in Shaun Alexander, Frank Jackson and Vick/Dunn. Bring too much heat and they will gash you.

The only team we played who wasn't supposed to have a running threat was SF. As it turned out, Frank Gore gave us fits, and Alex Smith was successful on waggles when we played too aggressively.

Patience, Grasshoppers. It's all about matchups. Four games is not projectible to an entire season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe its my bizarro world perspective.. but it appeared to me that we forced more turn overs last year, we had a stronger passing attack last year, the defense played with a passion that was exciting to watch.

I think that was 2004 when the D was forcing turnovers right and left and playing "with a passion". In keeping with the Cards tradition that defense forced 11 turnovers in the first 3 contests and Arizona lost every game.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't think we will see what this team can do untill half way through the season.

Why? Because the Cardinals had a HORRIBLE offseason.

Dansby issues - Our best defensive player was really banged up, and further more it was made public. (yes, I was one of them who called him out) At this point I just want the guy out there and hope he can find what is missing in this game. This was a HUGE blow to this team.

Oliver Ross - hurt for the entire preseason. It is not like the guy is Walter Jones, but our oline needed all the time in the world to get better. Him not being in was HUGE.

Wells not going to center - This team new it had problems at center, and they even said they were going to look at putting Wells at center. WHY DIDN'T THEY? You would think that 3 years of tape with our center on his butt would be enough reason to practice someone at that spot.

"It's only preseason" - Yeah, and after four games in the REAL season we look like we are still at preseason form. This "gelling" of the offensive line with Edge should have started week 1 in the preseason, not week 1 of the real season. The same goes for our pass blocking and overall offensive performance.

But the good thing is we are only 4 games into the season. Let Dansby get back into football form. Let the offensive line at least try to get a clue.

At week 8 if we are 1-7 then we can truly rip this team apart.

I for one, am extremely eager to see what our new QB can do.