This organization is playing for next year

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
i dont get why people want leinart so bad, hes on a superstar team that not many in college can compete with, plug him into our team with the terrible offencive line and hell turn into a big fat bust
That's the case almost every time a QB is drafted high. The catch is that if we had a great line and an average QB, we won't be in a position to draft a guy like Leinhart.

Sounds like you'd only be calling for drafting a kid like that if we were a good team--tell me, how would we end up with a world-class QB if we did that?

we need to build a team around our offensive strengths. We have arguably the best WR duo in the league and they're YOUNG. Let's grab a QB in the draft that can grow with them and add some pieces trough the draft and in FA.

Just as last year was supposed to be rich in RBs, people are projecting this year's draft to be rich in linemen. We can find a top guard in the second or third rounds for depth/future starter and add a stud in FA. IMO, we really only need to replace Wells at LG, move Ross to RG and grab a starting RT somewhere.

Last edited:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is nothing a nice little 3 game winning streak won't cure.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Well then maybe its just the pessimist in me, becuase I think if the season keeps going the way it is it will be a very embarrassing Stadium grand opening.

Will they still make money, yes, but not even close to what they can make if this team is .500 or better going into the new stadium.

Plus it isnt just about the B's not making as much as they could it is about Green not getting his 1 mill. playoff bonus.

This is a great post, echoes some of my recent thoughts. I suppose if the opener is against Dallas though, it would probably sell out. lol

A-Bomb

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Jesus I gotta get me some of that koolaid....3 game winning streak? 3 game winning streak?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:

I know you are a homer 21 but do you really think this team can win the next 3 in a row? ! out of three...yeah I could see that.. 2 out of three? Maybe but it would take a gigantic step forward offensively to do that. All 3?? Nope, not buying it. Carolina's DL will kill this OL if things don't improve 500% from where it is now.

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Besides, Mike Bidwill told me two years ago that he wanted a Lombardi tropy to put in the stadium when it opened. Not after the first year. The way he said it, I believe him. I think he hates to lose.

Is he going to buy a replica? The only thing Mike B hates to lose is money. Keep believing in Mike B and you will continue to see 20,000 - 40,000 people in the stands at the new stadium and 4-6 wins per season. Nothing will change.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:

I cannot come up with a laughing response that is big enough here...what's the equivalent of Mora talking about the playoffs? 3 game winning streak? We have to win a game first!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think anyone is playing for the next season, they are going out there wanting to win and just have a poopy line. its not like greens ultimate plan is to make the team lose alot this year so he can upgrade personell. i could see them maybe thinking they need more guys but theyr not trying to lose

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
i dont think anyone is playing for the next season, they are going out there wanting to win and just have a poopy line. its not like greens ultimate plan is to make the team lose alot this year so he can upgrade personell. i could see them maybe thinking they need more guys but theyr not trying to lose

You miss the point. Green, Graves, and Bidwill looked ahead to 2006 by using this season to try and develop said talent on the offensive line. Get Elton Brown his playing time, give Step another year, and hopefully have Wells and Davis step it up. Adding Ross, they hoped that, by the end of the season, they'd have gelled into a cohesive unit. If it happened earlier, and we competed, then all the better.

I'm not saying anyone's trying to tank the season. I'm just saying I think the brass planned for a strong team for NEXT season, and is willing to suffer huge growing pains this year.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if green believes the guys have the skill, just leave them in theyr positions and let them fight it out all season, they would get better with each game. despite green i dont believe we have the right skill on the OL

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
if green believes the guys have the skill, just leave them in theyr positions and let them fight it out all season, they would get better with each game. despite green i dont believe we have the right skill on the OL

And that's why I'm scared, because I don't think they'll get it together in time for us to make the playoffs, if they get it together as a unit at all.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:

I also do not believe that anyone was "playing for next year"... If that was the case they would not have opted for a Kurt Warner, an older 'now' QB... The only reason behind getting a veteran Quarterback would be for the now... If they had opted to stay with Josh or start developing someone new I would totally agree, there is so much talent on this team that the losses are due to everyone being out of sync...

Preparation for this season... Zero... I think the season kind of took the coaching staff by surprise and hopefully they can recover before it is too late... If everyone stays healthy I would expect to see some top notch gameplay starting to come together right after the bye, lets hope that it won't be too late to have a fair season...

-Go Cards-

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Red Fury said:
Is he going to buy a replica? The only thing Mike B hates to lose is money. Keep believing in Mike B and you will continue to see 20,000 - 40,000 people in the stands at the new stadium and 4-6 wins per season. Nothing will change.

Why is it that these people only turn up to thrash the ownership and coaches after loses?

They should save themselves the trouble and head over to the AZ Republic board. They can huddle around and rant about the coach and ownership with the rest of the loons.

Once they are done, they can high five each other and tell each other how right they are without us having to read it.

Last edited:

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
CardShark said:
They still make their money, at least until the high powered teams get their way in the collective bargaining agreement. The new stadium will be near full capacity just for the fact that it's the inaugral year of the stadium.
Please. Based om this teams history in AZ they will NOT have anyone in the stands if this team does not show a significant improvement THIS year. That of course means a near empty new stadium next year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8ndkorner said:
Please. Based om this teams history in AZ they will NOT have anyone in the stands if this team does not show a significant improvement THIS year. That of course means a near empty new stadium next year.

The novelty factor will boost sales a little. But, that's not going to sell 30,000 tickets which is what it would take to get "near capacity". If this team has another bad season, they'll be pushed to sell 10,000 more.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
RedForeman said:
I don't buy it either. Just classic Cardinal appologists. Were always playing for next year when we will actually be a good team. Couldn't have possibly sent some of the 5mil that they still have under the cap to fix some of these problems.

I guess it's all you can do as a fan. Sad thing is, next year never seems to come for this organization.

That's all I've been saying. Great post.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
"I've been optimistic before, but there is a statute of limitations on optimism," he said. "This team this year is coming very close to its 'sell-by' date. Sure, you could say I'm pulling the plug early - but I've bought into the hype too many seasons and come up empty early."

Denny Green's own words. Now, how optimistic does he sound for this season? Why would he want to be so ready to give up hopes for success this season? Thank you, goodbye, and I'll accept all apologies now.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
abomb said:
This is a great post, echoes some of my recent thoughts. I suppose if the opener is against Dallas though, it would probably sell out. lol

A-Bomb

Dallas is on the away schedule this year, but not next year -- unless the Cards finish in the same position in their division as Dallas does.

The Cardinals are playing the AFC West next year with the Denver and Kansas City games being in Arizona. My guess for opening week is Denver on Sunday Night Football.

Anyways, I agree with Joeshmoe and I've posted it in other thread, that if this team doesn't show something this season, next year's stadium will still not be filled.

Here's the home opponents for next season:

Seattle Seahawks
San Francisco 49ers
St. Louis Rams
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Same place finisher from NFC East
• Dallas Cowboys
• New York Giants
• Philadelphia Eagles
• Washington Redskins

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
"I've been optimistic before, but there is a statute of limitations on optimism," he said. "This team this year is coming very close to its 'sell-by' date. Sure, you could say I'm pulling the plug early - but I've bought into the hype too many seasons and come up empty early."

Denny Green's own words. Now, how optimistic does he sound for this season? Why would he want to be so ready to give up hopes for success this season? Thank you, goodbye, and I'll accept all apologies now.
Actually, a fan named C.L. Shannon said that.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60863

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stout said:

Given that he didn't say what you've quoted; we can all expect an apology from you for attempting to mislead readers, right? :D

Considering 17 years of futility, they should be happy they have fans that want to wallow in the bad. Fans like C.L. Shannon, who has followed the team since its St. Louis days - and still lives there - and long hoped it would turn the corner.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
I've beat myself up over why have we torn our line apart, why haven't we gotten the run-plugging DT, why this, why that. You want the answer? Green and Bidwill talked it over, didn't think they could plug all the holes on this team in one offseason, and decided to play for NEXT year. If you win this year, great. If not, hey, guys like Brown, Rolle, Arrington, etc, will have great experience by being thrown into the fire from day one. Get them the experience, allow them to catch up to the game, and get ready for NEXT year.

This is the only logical reason I can think of for some of the failures on this organization's and coaching staff's parts. I don't even want to consider the illogical reasons. I refuse, at this point.

The 'ole Perineal Preseason strategy.... Some day, these guys will have to play. If the OL would block long enough to give us a running game and give warner some time we can win some games. However, when half the line is collapsing under immediate presure and the other half committing penalties...well, we're screwed.

Don't expect much until this OL get's it's act together. They may start looking at the coach for starters.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, Pariah, my bad. I skimmed the article, didn't catch the person's name before it, and saw Green right after it. Well, thank God I was wrong...if that was Denny, we would've been screwed! Whew!

Crazy, you can kiss off. Smiley or no, there's no need to pile on. Point was made, and there was no need to repeat the quote. Sorry PARIAH. :D

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Stout said:
Yeah, Pariah, my bad. I skimmed the article, didn't catch the person's name before it, and saw Green right after it. Well, thank God I was wrong...if that was Denny, we would've been screwed! Whew!

Crazy, you can kiss off. Smiley or no, there's no need to pile on. Point was made, and there was no need to repeat the quote. Sorry PARIAH. :D

Stout, im in the minority here but i completly agree with you and heres why:

-Denny made the quote about how the offense will take time to round into shape (so far hes right)he didnt expect much at all at least at the beginning

-Denny and Graves have both already said (and i cant believe this quote does not get brought up more) that the 2006 QB is not currently on this roster

-Starting Brown, Rolle, and Arrington are moves you dont make if you consider yourself a contender. Do you see Philly, NE, or even Cinncy starting as many rookie as we do. Patterson, Mankins, and Thuman aside, thats just to many green players at important positions for a team trying to win it all. So why do this. To give them playing time and have them be battle tested when we are ready to go. I think Denny said Brown was not ready about week before making him starter. What happened in that week? Well Denny wanted the talented player thrown in the fire and he will be better for it next year. Its the same logic starting Step last year. Does anyone really think that Step outplayed Kendall last year before he was cut. Denny knew Kendall was not in the long term plan so he cut him and got Step time, knowing it would pay off later.

-Everyone in the front office has been pointing to next year to be real contenders. This year was supposed to be 8-8, 9-7 and maybe getting some playoff experience but i think the entire front office knows this team is just too young to compete for it all this year.

Now i dont think that Denny thought it was going to happen like this. Judging from his quotes i think he thought the defense would be able to pull more than their weight the first half and hopefully all the inexperience would start to payoff in good results later with the O. I also think he overestimated how good Ross, Davis and Wells were in thinking they would be able cover for youngins like Brown and Step. So while the national expectations were based on our talent (which as i have said before is the highest its ever been), i think the people in charge knew better (notice no 10-6 predictions this year) and thought we would be a decent to good team, with a chance to win a sorry division.

Everyone points to teams in the NFL rising out of no where and becoming good teams and the Cards were the chic pick to do just that. But if you look back at the history, those teams didn't take off because of splashy FA additions or rookies exclusivly (although the right piece sometimes brought it all together). They did because players who had played at a lower level previously became better with experience.

Carolina (peppers, jenkins, morgan)
Chicago (Urlacher, Robinson, Mike Brown)
Pats (Bruschi, Seymour)
Bengals 05 (Palmer, TJ housh,)
Rams (Fletcher, Bly, and even Bruce, although Kurt, Torry, and Marshall helped just a tad:D ...maybe this is the one exception)

I could list more but im outta time. You all have been great.....happy hour between 6-9 during the week.......

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser