This ought to stir things up

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think a poll is really necessary here it's a simple question. If the Titans release Haynesworth should another NFL team pick him up? Would you want the Cards to pick him up, why or why not?

Me, no, I really hope the NFL owners collude to NOT sign the guy. I hope he sits out the entire year and has to go to Canada or join WWE or something. If some other NFL team just says hey that guy is too good to ignore it's just going to send the wrong message to the rest of the NFL and every player in college and HS, that it does not matter what you do, if you are good it's all ok in the end.

What do I think happens, I think someone signs him and everyone whines about it while choosing to ignore that their team wanted him too.

But I do think the Titans are going to cut him, they've got so much negative press over Pacman and now this I think Fisher is fed up and he and that GM are going to make an example of the guy.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I don't think a poll is really necessary here it's a simple question. If the Titans release Haynesworth should another NFL team pick him up? Would you want the Cards to pick him up, why or why not?

Me, no, I really hope the NFL owners collude to NOT sign the guy. I hope he sits out the entire year and has to go to Canada or join WWE or something. If some other NFL team just says hey that guy is too good to ignore it's just going to send the wrong message to the rest of the NFL and every player in college and HS, that it does not matter what you do, if you are good it's all ok in the end.

What do I think happens, I think someone signs him and everyone whines about it while choosing to ignore that their team wanted him too.

It's a real throwback type thing, worse things than that have happend before on a football field and just as intentional, it's a violent game. I know what he did is wrong but if he'd have blown up a guy on a legal hit and killed him it's all good.

I think too much has been made of it, the league is in charge of what he should face if he's not gone for a year then that says they don't think it's that awful IMO.
But I do think the Titans are going to cut him, they've got so much negative press over Pacman and now this I think Fisher is fed up and he and that GM are going to make an example of the guy.

I think it's a league matter, if you can't get the league to ban a guy for this then I don't think the team needs to do the cutting unless they want to of course.

Someone will jump all over him if they cut him, it's the nature of the business.

Depends on if he's truly sorry or not, it's a horrible act, if the guy is actually torn up by it then he's probably alright from here on, if not he's really a horrible human being and still he'll get work but I'd cut him personally if that was the case.

Last edited:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see the Cowboys picking him up. He would fit right in and could provide a lot of motivation to their o-line in practice.

The Shark

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want him here. We have enough problems.

GBR

Knowing the state of our line, I think that he would be a welcome addition.

I feel that this guy gave the most heartfelt apology that I have ever seen from an athlete. It definitely does not excuse his actions, and would have liked it if he was suspended throughout the year.

Again, with that said, he could help to shore up the middle of our line.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He'd fit in perfectly with the Bengals. If he's released someone will definitely pick him up.All you have to is look at Lawrnece Phillips getting drafted that high and his subsequent oppurtunities.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Titans won't cut him this season, IMHO.

That's the rumor right or wrong, that Fisher is talking like there's no way he's going to reinstate him when the suspension is over and may just outright cut him.

I think it will be very interesting, that stomp by Marcus Vick in the bowl game last year cost him dearly as teams began to look at him closer, and within a few days he screwed up again.

obviously Haynesworth will be watched like a hawk. It'll be interesting but I really expect they will cut him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
That's the rumor right or wrong, that Fisher is talking like there's no way he's going to reinstate him when the suspension is over and may just outright cut him.

I think it will be very interesting, that stomp by Marcus Vick in the bowl game last year cost him dearly as teams began to look at him closer, and within a few days he screwed up again.

obviously Haynesworth will be watched like a hawk. It'll be interesting but I really expect they will cut him.

Why not cut him? It's not like they are going to win more than 1-2 games,if that, anyway.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Sign him and let him start.

This O-line has spiked MY head. Somebody must pay.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In all honesty I wish the Cards would have drafted Haynesworth over Bryant, even knowing what type of a guy he is. I vote I would not mind him as a Card. Ray Lewis was involved in a Double Homicide all you guys still wanted him. Suns fans would have been happy to see Kobe come to the Suns, I think it's a double standard, it all comes down to talent.

Hey if Charles Manson could pass block, I would be all for bringing him in as well. J/K

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all honesty I wish the Cards would have drafted Haynesworth over Bryant, even knowing what type of a guy he is. I vote I would not mind him as a Card.

Hey if Charles Manson could pass block, I would be all for bringing him in as well. J/K

One of the stories that came out after this happened was that in college Haynesworth got into a fight in practice, left the field, and came back holding a long metal pole looking to get the guy! The coaches had to intervene and restrain him. Apparently that's the incident that everyone was worried about when they labelled him "immature" prior to the draft.

Definitely sounds like a guy who needs counseling but I have to admit my initial take on his press conference is he said all the right things but I don't buy it. He had no choice he's suspended, he found out right before the press conference that Gurode was not going to file criminal charges but is still considering a possible lawsuit. What else could the guy do but come out and say man I screwed up I'm sorry I need help. Hopefully he gets what he needs.

Apparently the Titans are looking at the possibility of using behavioral clauses in his contract to cut him and just absorb the caphit.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Leonard Little is a murderer and is still in the league. What Haynesworth did does not even compare. Also, the Green Bay Packers signed Koren Robinson and what he did is far worse as well. I would have no problem with Haynesworth playing for the Cardinals if he were to be released, but I can't see the Titans doing that.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leonard Little is a murderer and is still in the league. What Haynesworth did does not even compare. Also, the Green Bay Packers signed Koren Robinson and what he did is far worse as well. I would have no problem with Haynesworth playing for the Cardinals if he were to be released, but I can't see the Titans doing that.

I think both those guys should be gone too, but there is a difference. Both of them screwed up horribly but Haynesworth's incident happened ON THE FIELD.

That's why I think it's getting so much press right now. It was in the middle of the game.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My god this world is so pc it actually makes me ill.

did you know.....

That Conrad Dobler admitted to doing things as heinous as what Haynesworth did. But ole Conrad was thought of as one tough bad ass dude. And I agree.

Is Haynesworth an idiot and on roids? I have no doubt. But the carsds could use him! And Id be thrilled to have him here.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you know.....

That Conrad Dobler admitted to doing things as heinous as what Haynesworth did.
really, such as...?

There are "dirty plays" that take place within the confines of the game where players need to expect it. This is outside the bounds of even dirty play.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
really, such as...?

There are "dirty plays" that take place within the confines of the game where players need to expect it. This is outside the bounds of even dirty play.

Well, I certainly remember Conrad stomping on players, and guys coming out of a pile up, dancing an Irish jig, because Conrad had bite them. If done today, he'd be suspended and doing the customary mea culpa at a news conference.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My god this world is so pc it actually makes me ill.

did you know.....

That Conrad Dobler admitted to doing things as heinous as what Haynesworth did. But ole Conrad was thought of as one tough bad ass dude. And I agree.

Is Haynesworth an idiot and on roids? I have no doubt. But the carsds could use him! And Id be thrilled to have him here.

Dobler was known for poking guys in the eye and allegedly biting but I don't think he ever ripped a helmet off so he could stomp on the guys head twice.

I posted this after the draft when we took Dockett, I think it's worth revisiting now.

If the recent Seminole-Gator football feud concerning Florida State's Darnell Dockett has proven anything, it's that the NCAA is failing to adequately protect its student-athletes.

In the first play of the second quarter of the Nov. 17 game between Florida and Florida State, Dockett made a blatant attempt to stomp on the hand of Florida QB Rex Grossman out of bounds. The incident was caught on tape, and the video shows Dockett, who was not originally involved with the play, coming over after the play is over, staring down at Grossman's throwing hand, lifting his leg high, and trying to stomp on the hand. Grossman moved just in time.

But Dockett wasn't finished.

In the third quarter, Dockett twisted Florida running back Earnest Graham's knee long after Graham had been tackled, putting all the force of his body into Graham's calf/knee area and gyrating for several seconds after Graham was down. The incident will cause Graham to miss several weeks of action.

After the game, Dockett reportedly bragged to teammates about hurting the Florida running back. A journalist for the Palm Beach Post has a tape of Dockett saying in the locker room, "Did you guys see what I did to Earnest Graham?"

Graham wound up having surgery, injured the knee again and has never been the same. Essentially Dockett's blatant cheapshot changed the kids career. Dockett denied it was intentional despite the whole thing being caught on tape. Spurrier was the Florida coach at the time and he was furious made a big deal about it. That play was one of the reasons Dockett slipped in the draft himself.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry I guess to me sticking your finger in an area that can end a mans career and make him lose his vision for life is just as bad as kicking off a helmet and kicking someone in the head.

If you want to dispute otherwise go ahead but me thinks you would look foolish.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I guess to me sticking your finger in an area that can end a mans career and make him lose his vision for life is just as bad as kicking off a helmet and kicking someone in the head.

If you want to dispute otherwise go ahead but me thinks you would look foolish.

I don't recall defending Dobler's actions I was just pointing out I never saw Dobler do what Haynesworth did, and I sure as hell never saw him after a play was over rip a guys helmet off so he could step on him.

Cheapshots happen we all know that but in general they happen in the heat of the play, not AFTER the play.

That's what made the 2 Dockett incidents in the same college game so despicable and to me it's what makes the play by Haynesworth so bad, the play is over, the players have a reasonable expectation that nobody is going to suddenly cheapshot them.

I am not naive I realize stuff happens on the field we know nothing about but it usually stops at the whistle.

I don't mind tough players I just don't like dirty ones, if that makes me PC so be it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
John Runyan was on Rome this morning and Jim asked Runyan what he thought of this and I think he expected him to pile on. What Runyan said shocked me. He basically said, "It's really unfortunate that the league's going to be looking closely at this in the offseason and it's really going to handcuff the things that we're allowed to do on the field. It's going to continue turning the NFL into basketball and not football, which is a physical game."

That was coming from an offensive lineman. A guy on the other side of the ball. It's unfortunate that this happened on camera, not so much that it happened at all. That seemed to be the message. I don't think that linemen want to be protected like quarterbacks do; they have their own justice systems in the pile, and they'd rather work in the trenches.

If that Russell kid who was drafted by the Raiders could get back on the field after what he did, Haynesworth would get another chance, as well. Didn't we see what happens when you try and load up your team with character guys in the McGinnis years? Honestly, I wish that we had a lineman on either side of the ball that wanted to stomp on someone's dome.