This ought to stir things up

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
John Runyan was on Rome this morning and Jim asked Runyan what he thought of this and I think he expected him to pile on. What Runyan said shocked me. He basically said, "It's really unfortunate that the league's going to be looking closely at this in the offseason and it's really going to handcuff the things that we're allowed to do on the field. It's going to continue turning the NFL into basketball and not football, which is a physical game."

That was coming from an offensive lineman. A guy on the other side of the ball. It's unfortunate that this happened on camera, not so much that it happened at all. That seemed to be the message. I don't think that linemen want to be protected like quarterbacks do; they have their own justice systems in the pile, and they'd rather work in the trenches.

If that Russell kid who was drafted by the Raiders could get back on the field after what he did, Haynesworth would get another chance, as well. Didn't we see what happens when you try and load up your team with character guys in the McGinnis years? Honestly, I wish that we had a lineman on either side of the ball that wanted to stomp on someone's dome.

Yeah that wanted to but would pull up short and not actually do it though. Some linemen with that mentality yes indeed. We could use some on either or both sides of the ball.

Last edited:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't mind tough players I just don't like dirty ones, if that makes me PC so be it.

So a guy like Dobler is tough and Dckett dirty?

I disagree 100%

I am sure many of doblers bites and jabs were in a pile after a whistle as well. and I am sure a lot of that goes on.

I really feel you are splitting hairs. It just so happens that Haynesworths actions were very visable.

I put Haynesworth in the Dobler category. Now Dockett has a category of his own.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that Russell kid who was drafted by the Raiders could get back on the field after what he did, Haynesworth would get another chance, as well. Didn't we see what happens when you try and load up your team with character guys in the McGinnis years? Honestly, I wish that we had a lineman on either side of the ball that wanted to stomp on someone's dome.

Do you mean Darrell Russell? His problems were mainly off the field, drug use and the rape allegations. And after the Raiders let him go he briefly got a shot with Washington and then was totally out of football until he got killed in a car crash.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a guy like Dobler is tough and Dckett dirty?

I disagree 100%

I am sure many of doblers bites and jabs were in a pile after a whistle as well. and I am sure a lot of that goes on.

I really feel you are splitting hairs. It just so happens that Haynesworths actions were very visable.

I put Haynesworth in the Dobler category. Now Dockett has a category of his own.

I haven't given you my opinion of Dobler yet you're assuming I endorsed the way he played, I didn't. I was 8 years old the first time I saw Dobler play I have a completely different perspective on things now than I did then. If he was a Cardinal today playing like that, I'd be complaining about him too.

Dobler was widely considered the dirtiest player in the NFL when he played, other players hated the guy if he played today with ESPN and NFL network all over the game he wouldn't get away with the stuff he got away with 30 years ago.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do you mean Darrell Russell? His problems were mainly off the field, drug use and the rape allegations. And after the Raiders let him go he briefly got a shot with Washington and then was totally out of football until he got killed in a car crash.

Didn't Russell get another chance with the Bucs for training camp the year after Russell finished his one-year deal with the 'Skins and then washed out of the league?

To me, I think that off-the-field problems are a bigger issue for teams than the on-field ones. I don't think you want your guy driving drunk or raping 16 year-olds after giving them roofies. I think that these problems are worlds different than the over-blown and borderline racist reporting on Pacman Jones, who has happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that's what happens when you hang out in the ghetto, and the media makes a whole deal out of it.

Runyan didn't say a word against Haynesworth. I'm certain that these things happen all the time in the trenches of the NFL, and that Haynesworth got caught doing it. There's a reason that you haven't heard anyone with a football background piling on this guy.

I love Haynesworth; he's a helluva player and without a doubt the best player on the Titans roster. The kid's frustrated, and it's not difficult to see why, but the biggest problem is that it was caught on camera, not that it happened. You don't wonder why Gurode isn't going to follow up on this?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Russell get another chance with the Bucs for training camp the year after Russell finished his one-year deal with the 'Skins and then washed out of the league?

To me, I think that off-the-field problems are a bigger issue for teams than the on-field ones. I don't think you want your guy driving drunk or raping 16 year-olds after giving them roofies. I think that these problems are worlds different than the over-blown and borderline racist reporting on Pacman Jones, who has happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that's what happens when you hang out in the ghetto, and the media makes a whole deal out of it.

Runyan didn't say a word against Haynesworth. I'm certain that these things happen all the time in the trenches of the NFL, and that Haynesworth got caught doing it. There's a reason that you haven't heard anyone with a football background piling on this guy.

I love Haynesworth; he's a helluva player and without a doubt the best player on the Titans roster. The kid's frustrated, and it's not difficult to see why, but the biggest problem is that it was caught on camera, not that it happened. You don't wonder why Gurode isn't going to follow up on this?

Jamie Dukes went off on Haynesworth and he played OL in the NFL for years. I've seen several ex players go off on him. Stephen A Smith had Everson Walls and 2 other former NFL players on his show(blanking on the names) and they were saying 5 game suspension minimum, one guy said rest of the season and Walls said I would be in favor of that even there's just no place in the game for dirty players like that. In fact I haven't seen a single player defend him either.

I am certainly not endorsing drunk drivers or rapists either, I'm just saying that a guy who goes out and gets drunk or high on coke and does something wrong is doing something under the influence, near as we know Haynesworth didn't stomp Gurode because he wsa drunk or on coke, he is just a major idiot.

So are you saying if Pacman were white he wouldn't have such a bad reputation?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not going anywhere...so, why the debate?

There is apparently quite a bit of speculation that Fisher and the GM both want to release him once the suspension is over.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Jamie Dukes went off on Haynesworth and he played OL in the NFL for years. I've seen several ex players go off on him. Stephen A Smith had Everson Walls and 2 other former NFL players on his show(blanking on the names) and they were saying 5 game suspension minimum, one guy said rest of the season and Walls said I would be in favor of that even there's just no place in the game for dirty players like that. In fact I haven't seen a single player defend him either.

I am certainly not endorsing drunk drivers or rapists either, I'm just saying that a guy who goes out and gets drunk or high on coke and does something wrong is doing something under the influence, near as we know Haynesworth didn't stomp Gurode because he wsa drunk or on coke, he is just a major idiot.

So are you saying if Pacman were white he wouldn't have such a bad reputation?

I haven't heard anyone defending him, but no one defended Randy Moss's mimed mooning of Green Bay fans when the media was all over him. Runyan's comments carried a lot of weight with me, when a bunch of guys who are getting paid to make a fuss don't really do a lot.

Haynesworth stomped on Andre because he was pissed off about losing. I think that's a much more interesting and complicated matter than an irresponsible player who endangers his city and its citizens. It's not Haynesworth's fault that the Titans are a legitimate possibility to go 0-16, and I really think that he's tired of damn losing. Or, he's high on steroids. If he were, would that excuse his actions because he's "raging"? Or extenuate them?

I think that if Pacman were white or not playing in Tennessee or not appearing on the draft with a pimp cup then he'd be cut more slack and not make the front page when he's the witness to an event in which he wasn't involved.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone defending him, but no one defended Randy Moss's mimed mooning of Green Bay fans when the media was all over him.
You should have pulled your head out of your arse, then. Lots of people defended him.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Russ I liked Haynesworth almost as much as John Henderson coming out of college. Which one did you like better at the time. Some people say we wanted Freeney. But SPORTS ILLUSTRATED said Henderson was Macs guy before that draft

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I don't think a poll is really necessary here it's a simple question. If the Titans release Haynesworth should another NFL team pick him up? Would you want the Cards to pick him up, why or why not?

Me, no, I really hope the NFL owners collude to NOT sign the guy. I hope he sits out the entire year and has to go to Canada or join WWE or something. If some other NFL team just says hey that guy is too good to ignore it's just going to send the wrong message to the rest of the NFL and every player in college and HS, that it does not matter what you do, if you are good it's all ok in the end.

What do I think happens, I think someone signs him and everyone whines about it while choosing to ignore that their team wanted him too.

But I do think the Titans are going to cut him, they've got so much negative press over Pacman and now this I think Fisher is fed up and he and that GM are going to make an example of the guy.

You know how this could work? If we wait until the off-season and when/if Denny gets fired and bring in a coach who is disciplinarian. Then we could trade a third or fourth round pick for him depending how disgusted the Titans are with him right now.

If Haynesworth is motivated due to the fear of this being his last chance and after truly realizing the impact of what he did (he does seem genuinely contrite and has handedled a terrible situation pretty well in the after math) he could be a coup for the Cards. He is a terrific DT and I can't recall there being a lot of bad press for him an Tennessee or his first few years in the NFL.

Not to justify what he did but the guy was in the heat of battle and this is a sport where we pay the devensive players millions of dollars to be angry destructive forces. Conversely Pac-Man Jones is obviously a thug and will likely never change.

The key is having a coach that players respect AND fear.