This Week's Roster Prediction (8/21/06)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What I think it will be (later I will give you what I would like it to be):

QB (3): WARNER, Leinart, Navarre.

RB (3): JAMES, Arrington, Shipp.

FB (2): BRONSON, Ayanbadejo.

WR (5): BOLDIN, FITZGERALD, JOHNSON, Walters, McCoy.

OL (10): DAVIS, WELLS, LECKEY, M. BROWN, BRIDGES, Ross, Lutui, Stepanovich, E, Brown, Wakefield.

TE (3): Pope, Bergen, Edwards.

DL (8): OKEAFOR, CLANCY, DOCKETT, BERRY, Smith, Lewis, Moore, Watson.

LB (8): PACE, HAYES, HUFF, Dansby, Darling, Blackstock, Johnson, Mitchell.

DB (8): ROLLE, GRIFFITH, WILSON, MACKLIN, Reid, Francisco, Brewer, Green.

ST (3): PLAYER, HODEL, RACKERS.

PS (8): WR Watkins, WR Holiday, WR/PR Spurlock, P Capshaw, DT Bulman, DE Schable, DB Hunter, DB McCareins.

What I would like it to be...(everyone try it...play HC/GM! Note: You get one blockbuster trade, within reason)

QB (3): WARNER, Leinart, TBD (I am hoping that Pittsburgh waives Shane Boyd). Comment: I feel bad for John Navarre, but he needs a year in NFL Europe and a coach who will change his delivery.

RB (3): JAMES, Arrington, Shipp. Comment: Pretty well set here.

FB (2): BRONSON, FB-TBD. Comment: Bronson over-committed on his block of the Pats' DE who wound up with the sack. Next time I believe he will sit down better and faster and make the DE come through him, not around him. While I hate to let Obafemi Ayanbadejo go, he just can't get the job done as a blocking FB and, as I see it, all three RBs above are better options as 3rd down backs. I want to add a blocking FB through waivers.

WR (5): BOLDIN, FITZGERALD, JOHNSON, Walters, McCoy. Comment: We saw what it would be like to be without Johnson...there's no way I would trade him. Walters has been solid at PR and slot WR, although I am still intruiged with Spurlock. McCoy better start catching the football with regularity or I will be tempted to promote someone else.

OL (10): WELLS, DAVIS, LECKEY, M. BROWN, WALKER, Lutui, Bridges, Stepanovich, E. Brown, T-TBD. Comment: of course, you all know, I would immediately switch Big to LG where he can spring the running attack like noone else on the line can...I like Wells and his good feet at LT...I have always liked Leckey and believe he is a gamer...Milford Brown gets good push at RG (although I do like Elton Brown as well)...and I will pull off the necessary trade to get my starting RT...and here it is...I will trade DT Darnell Dockett, LB Daryl Blackstock and SS Ernest Shazor to Tampa Bay for MLB Shelton Quarles, RT Kenyatta Walker and CB Kalvin Pearson (Tampa would drool to get their hands on local FSU icon Darnell Dockett...Blackstock and Shazor give them two young players with potential...Quarles is getting beat out by Barrett Ruud, Walker can be had because the Bucs love 2nd round steal T Jeremy Trueblood...they are reluctant to give up Pearson, but they love their 4th round pick CB Alan Zemaitas...while Quarles is heading into his 10th year, he's still one of the better MLBs in the game and will be for another two years...Walker has all the tools...he started coming into his own last year and is signed for another two years...and Pearson is a fine young talent who can backup Antrel Rolle at LCB and be a special teams standout..with the depth we have at UT in Clancy, Lewis and Smith...Dockett can be moved...he's got very good talent, but has underachieved here and Clancy is going past him as the starter...but Tampa will believe they will get the best out of him...Blackstock is another one or two years away from playing and we just drafted another young project at WLB in Brandon Johnson...and Shazor has improved but he seems a tad to big and slow to be consistently effective at SS). I will also scour the waiver wire to add a backup tackle...if I don't get the waiver claim I want, I keep Fred Wakefield. I will place Oliver Ross on the IR...didn't expect to get good play from him anyway.

TE (3): POPE, TBD, TBD. Comment: I want to see Pope featured more in the offense this week. As for Bergen and Edwards, they just haven't been doing enough to make me want to keep them...as of yet, anyway. I was hoping to add TE Anthony Becht in the Tampa Bay trade...and may pull something off there if I can. Therefore, I look to add two new TEs through the waiver wire...and I hope one of them can double as a FB/H-Back.

DL (8): OKEAFOR, CLANCY, MOORE, BERRY, Smith, Lewis, Watson, Pace. Comment: I like Antonio Smith's versatility and will use him at DE and UT. Kendrick Clancy was beating out Dockett as starting UT anyway...Langston Moore and Gabe Watson rotate plugging the middle...and Jonathan Lewis backs up Clancy and Smith at UT...I move Calvin Pace back to DE.

LB (7): DANSBY, QUARLES, HUFF, Hayes, Darling, Johnson, Mitchell. Comment: I like the idea of adding Quarles in the middle so I can play Hayes at SLB...Hayes (a more instinctive and natural LB than Pace) starts there until Dansby returns.

DB (9): ROLLE, FRANCISCO, WILSON, MACKLIN, Pearson, Brewer, Griffith, Green, Reid. Comment: I like Francisco's range. He starts. Pearson (2nd yr. CB from Grambling) has some excellent upside and led the Bucs special teams last year with 25 tackles...he and Eric Green fight it out for the nickel back...Griffith provides good depth as a backup SS...Brewer, one of the team's special teams' aces, backs up Francisco at FS.

ST (3): PLAYER, HODEL, RACKERS. Comment: I am tempted to go with Capshaw...however, Player is proven...but I would like to keep Capshaw on the practice squad if possible. Hodel and Rackers are awesome.

PS (8): WR Watkins, WR/KR Spurlock, WR Holiday (or Lee), P Capshaw, DT Bulman, DE Schable, DB Hunter, DB McCareins. Comment: If Capshaw gets claimed the other player I like is DB Justin Wyatt.

Last edited:

seesred

Reaction score
I like what you have done. You out in a lot of thought and time. I think yopu will be very close. The idea of the trade with Tampa IMO will not happen. The trade IMO will come with a draft pick and or a player in the calliber of the names you've mentioned. I think if the are going to trade they should try to do it quickly as there is just three weeks before it counts. My O-line would be

Wells at center, Brown and davis on the left side and Brown and ? on the right side.

GBR

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How can you justify John Bronson being the starter when he killed Kurt Warner Saturday. Seriously. How do you look Kurt Warner in the eye after the 53-man roster gets established? 'Femi may not be a power FB, but this offense doesn't use a power FB. Aside from Edge, 'Femi might also be the best single-back runner on this team. The reason that you haven't seen a ton from him in the preseason isn't because he's on the bubble, it's because his starting job is assured.

Lance Mitchell?! Has he done anything, and I mean anything to justify a roster spot? Has he even played at all this season? I know that Denny hates cutting his draft picks, but the free agent LB they brought in has at least showed up in the game this preseason. Mitchell's been nowhere to be found.

From a special teams standpoint (as well as a salary management standpoint), I think that Damian Anderson brings more to the table than Marcel Shipp. Shipp isn't going to get any carries and has been a non-factor on special teams.

Francisco and Shazor both make the team as the backup safeties. Brewer's out, but Green is the nickel back. He's been unmentioned in the preseason so far, and that's a good thing.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard Derek Deese on the radio this weekend. He was talking about how he played every position along the line at one time or another in the NFL and how difficult it was to switch positions. He had an advantage in that he played both the left and right side guard at USC (depending on the play direction--that seemed weird to me that they'd tip their had as to the direction of a play by which OL lined up on which side, but whatever...).

Anyway, he really drove home the point of just how hard it is for a guy to get his "game legs" under him after switching positions. That it takes at least a year before he can truly be evaluated there. I guess my point for posting this is that we monkey too much with our OL positions. We need to either go out and get guys to play in the spots we need help (long-term solution) or move the guys we have now into these spots and give them ample time to prove their mettle there (also a long-term solution). There are no quick fixes.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
seesred said:
I like what you have done. You out in a lot of thought and time. I think yopu will be very close. The idea of the trade with Tampa IMO will not happen. The trade IMO will come with a draft pick and or a player in the calliber of the names you've mentioned. I think if the are going to trade they should try to do it quickly as there is just three weeks before it counts. My O-line would be

Wells at center, Brown and davis on the left side and Brown and ? on the right side.

GBR

I agree that a trade with Tampa is not likely to happen...but the one player that, IMO, would attract their attention is Darnell Dockett...they are starting Chris Hovan at UT...he's getting a little old in the tooth and their depth at DT is suspect.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Only having 3 DEs scares me, and I like all of the DTs the teams has. I think Lewis would potentially be picked up on the practice squad also. Decisions decisions.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
How can you justify John Bronson being the starter when he killed Kurt Warner Saturday. Seriously. How do you look Kurt Warner in the eye after the 53-man roster gets established? 'Femi may not be a power FB, but this offense doesn't use a power FB. Aside from Edge, 'Femi might also be the best single-back runner on this team. The reason that you haven't seen a ton from him in the preseason isn't because he's on the bubble, it's because his starting job is assured.

Lance Mitchell?! Has he done anything, and I mean anything to justify a roster spot? Has he even played at all this season? I know that Denny hates cutting his draft picks, but the free agent LB they brought in has at least showed up in the game this preseason. Mitchell's been nowhere to be found.

From a special teams standpoint (as well as a salary management standpoint), I think that Damian Anderson brings more to the table than Marcel Shipp. Shipp isn't going to get any carries and has been a non-factor on special teams.

Francisco and Shazor both make the team as the backup safeties. Brewer's out, but Green is the nickel back. He's been unmentioned in the preseason so far, and that's a good thing.

Bronson had a bad game, but who else would you keep? Perhaps he should not start, but I watched that and wondered why the FB was blocking the rush LB anyway. You are asking a battering Ram to slide his feet and be a tackle.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

The Cardinals are now employing a power FB because of Bronson...and did so successfully against the Steelers. Bronson's strength thus far has been running the isolation play on the inside LB. His weakness has been in pass portection, obviously. But, as I pointed out, he over-committed himself to the block and didn't square up fast enough...that can be changed.

With the o-line being as questionable as it is...a blocking FB becomes more imperative...at least the blocking FB can protect against line penetration.

The Cardinals aren't going to use Femi as a single back runner. He's a 3rd down back...and he's not a run blocker.

I like Femi's veteran presence, but, this team needs blocking FBs...not 3rd down FBs.

The Cardinals' LB coach, Frank Bush, was talking up Lance Mitchell just last week, saying that Mitchell is a better and stronger tackler this year. For some reason, Mitchell hasn't been playing in the games...or at least I haven't noticed him on special teams, if he has at least been playing there.

Your Damian Anderson argument is not very persuasive. Marcel Shipp has led the team in rushing 3 of the past 4 years. If Edge gets hurt, Shipp is a far better answer than Anderson.

I guarantee you...Jack Brewer will make this football team and be a standout on special teams. Shazor's chances are 50/50 right now...he still is a little slow and plays a tad too high...and needs to make some louder noises on special teams.

And if Francisco stays healthy...I will bet you a six pack of Heinkens, K9, that he will be the starter at FS before the bye week.

We would think Green is the nickel back, but this week it was Robert Tate. Tate has a good shot of sticking on the roster or so it would seem.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Pariah said:
I heard Derek Deese on the radio this weekend. He was talking about how he played every position along the line at one time or another in the NFL and how difficult it was to switch positions. He had an advantage in that he played both the left and right side guard at USC (depending on the play direction--that seemed weird to me that they'd tip their had as to the direction of a play by which OL lined up on which side, but whatever...).

Anyway, he really drove home the point of just how hard it is for a guy to get his "game legs" under him after switching positions. That it takes at least a year before he can truly be evaluated there. I guess my point for posting this is that we monkey too much with our OL positions. We need to either go out and get guys to play in the spots we need help (long-term solution) or move the guys we have now into these spots and give them ample time to prove their mettle there (also a long-term solution). There are no quick fixes.

Reggie Wells has played LT and C for the Cardinals...his transistion there wouldn't be too overwhelming.

Leonard Davis has played G for the Cardinals...he won't again, unless the coaching staff changes.

Jeremy Bridges has played G and T for the Cardinals...he seems to handle the changes pretty well.

There had better be some changes...or we are possibly looking at another crack at the NFL record for lowest yards rushing once again.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
I think Navarre could benefit from a year or two BAGGING GROCERIES...it worked for KW!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
K9 as GM's Roster Decisions

Turnabout is fair play, I suppose. Here's how I'd like to see it shaking out...

Starters in ALLCAPS.

QB (3) - WARNER, Leinart, Navarre. Navarre is still an okay Number 3, but Leinart's performance Saturday evening cannot be overstated. He looked better than Josh McCown ever did after just four practices. If he can stay healthy, #7 is the real deal.

RB (3) - JAMES, Arrington [EDIT: Cut for roster space -- Anderson]. Shipp hasn't shown up as a special teams player and Anderson has a history of solid ST play. Add in the fact that Shipp would be paid six times what Arrington would, and this is a no brainer.

FB (2) - Ayanbadejo, Bronson. 'Femi is entrenched in the "starting" role due to his knowledge of the offense and proving that he can play on Sundays. He is also a leader on special teams and ought to be more of a fan favorite. Bronson will see the field on special teams, and in sub packages on the goal line. Hopefully Bronson could develop into more of an H-back role as well as the season progresses, but we haven't seen him in that role much so far. An interesting subplot is whether 'Femi's skills as a single back puts pressure on the #3 running back to even make the team. Hodgins return to the active roster makes Bronson's life interesting for the next few weeks.

WR (6) - FITZGERALD, BOLDIN, BRYANT JOHNSON, Walters, McCoy, [EDIT: Placed on PS for roster space -- Holiday]. The three-WR base offense necessitates that the team keeps 6 on the roster, but only 5 will be active on Sundays.

TE (3) - EDWARDS, Bergen, Pope. The team would be wise to ease Pope into the starting lineup slowly, even though he may already be the best tight end on the roster. Like Bronson, Pope will be subbed onto the field early in special situations and hopefully will get experience blocking people by playing on special teams.

OT (4) - DAVIS, [EDIT: Cut for roster space -- BRIDGES], Ross, WAKEFIELD. Man, aside from Davis, the other three guys suck. Too bad we're sitting on $10 million in salary cap space.

OG (4) - M. BROWN, R. WELLS, E. Brown, D. Lutui. There's actually an excess of talent here, since Bridges is more naturally a guard, as well. All of these guys will be starting-caliber in the next two years. Reggie Wells remains at OLG to have at least one side of the line be solid and protect Kurt Warner's blind side.

OC (2) - LECKEY, Stepanovich. The reason that Leckey isn't the starting center right now is that he's 20 pounds lighter than Stepanovich, and they don't want two undersized players in the middle of the line in Leckey and Wells (who is also 10 points light for the OLG position). At some point, though, you have to put the best 5 players on the field. The question is how Wells and Leckey will deal with NTs who outweigh them by 25 pounds.

TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYERS: 24

DT (6) - DOCKETT, CLANCY, Moore, Watson, Lewis, King. This gives the Cardinals a very solid five-man rotation in the middle, and Lewis may be able to sub in at strongside end in run packages. Every player should see a lot of time on the field this season, since Pendergast needs to keep his DTs fresh in his penetrating system. Kenny King needs to return to the field.

DE (4) - BERRY, OKEAFOR, A. Smith, A. Schable. The bad news: This went from a position of strength to perilously thin without a single injury. The good news: two games into the preseason, we can see why the defensive staff was comfortable moving Calvin Pace to linebacker. Antonio Smith has been dynamic at defensive end, and should be a great sub player. A healthy Kenny King would really strengthen this unit, but A.J. Schable cannot be depended on.

OLB (4) - PACE, HUFF, Dansby, Blackstock. This is nto a bad five-player rotation. Pace has a lot to learn in coverage as an outside linebacker, but that's why he's seeing a lot of snaps in the preseason. The team may be holding its breath that Brandon Johnson can be snuck onto the practice squad. It's essential that Karlos Dansby gets back on the field as soon as possible.

MLB (3) - DARLING, Hayes, Brown. The team would love Gerald Hayes to assume the starting job before camp breaks, but he has been inconsistent so far in the preseason and has not shown that he can make plays and be disciplined in this defense. Darling would provide excellent depth at both MLB and SLB should he get pushed down the depth chart, which would take the pressure off Calvin Pace on obvious passing downs.

DC (5) - ROLLE, MACKLIN, Green, Carter, Tate. Good first three, but flip a coin on the last two. Robert Tate could be cut with the promise that he'd be at the top of the list should an injury occur. It's this position along with offensive tackle that you look at and then you look at the $10 million this team is under the cap and just shake your head.

SS (2) - WILSON, Shazor. Adrian Wilson is the playmaker in this defense until Karlos Dansby returns to the field. A lot will be expected of him this season, when he'll have to really earn that Bentley that he's bought. The less Shazor is on the field, the better.

FS (2) - GRIFFITH, Francisco. Robert Griffith is not a playmaker and won't make many highlight reels, but he is the leader of the back seven of this defense and is good at getting the defensive players in position before the snap. There is not much that Griffith hasn't seen on the football field, which makes him the quarterback of this defense and an asset on the field.

TOTAL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS: 26

LS - HODEL
K - RACKERS
P - PLAYER

PS - PR/KR Spurlock, CB Wyatt, LB Brandon Johnson, WR Watkins, TE Stokes, RB Robinson, P Capshaw, FS Harrell, [EDIT: Cut from practice squad -- OC Schmitt], CB Hunter. I thought that stashing a punter on the PS was silly, but Rackers was a practice squad player for the Bengals. Emphasis on keeping Denny's draft picks and trying to develop depth in the secondary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Turnabout is fair play, I suppose. Here's how I'd like to see it shaking out...

Starters in ALLCAPS.

QB (3) - WARNER, Leinart, Navarre. Navarre is still an okay Number 3, but Leinart's performance Saturday evening cannot be overstated. He looked better than Josh McCown ever did after just four practices. If he can stay healthy, #7 is the real deal.

RB (3) - JAMES, Arrington, Anderson. Shipp hasn't shown up as a special teams player and Anderson has a history of solid ST play. Add in the fact that Shipp would be paid six times what Arrington would, and this is a no brainer.

FB (2) - Ayanbadejo, Bronson. 'Femi is entrenched in the "starting" role due to his knowledge of the offense and proving that he can play on Sundays. He is also a leader on special teams and ought to be more of a fan favorite. Bronson will see the field on special teams, and in sub packages on the goal line. Hopefully Bronson could develop into more of an H-back role as well as the season progresses, but we haven't seen him in that role much so far. An interesting subplot is whether 'Femi's skills as a single back puts pressure on the #3 running back to even make the team. Hodgins return to the active roster makes Bronson's life interesting for the next few weeks.

WR (6) - FITZGERALD, BOLDIN, BRYANT JOHNSON, Walters, McCoy, Holiday. The three-WR base offense necessitates that the team keeps 6 on the roster, but only 5 will be active on Sundays.

TE (3) - EDWARDS, Bergen, Pope. The team would be wise to ease Pope into the starting lineup slowly, even though he may already be the best tight end on the roster. Like Bronson, Pope will be subbed onto the field early in special situations and hopefully will get experience blocking people by playing on special teams.

OT (4) - DAVIS, BRIDGES, Ross, Wakefield. Man, aside from Davis, the other three guys suck. Too bad we're sitting on $10 million in salary cap space.

OG (4) - M. BROWN, R. WELLS, E. Brown, D. Lutui. There's actually an excess of talent here, since Bridges is more naturally a guard, as well. All of these guys will be starting-caliber in the next two years. Reggie Wells remains at OLG to have at least one side of the line be solid and protect Kurt Warner's blind side.

OC (2) - LECKEY, Stepanovich. The reason that Leckey isn't the starting center right now is that he's 20 pounds lighter than Stepanovich, and they don't want two undersized players in the middle of the line in Leckey and Wells (who is also 10 points light for the OLG position). At some point, though, you have to put the best 5 players on the field. The question is how Wells and Leckey will deal with NTs who outweigh them by 25 pounds.

TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYERS: 24

DT (6) - DOCKETT, CLANCY, Moore, Watson, Lewis, King. This gives the Cardinals a very solid five-man rotation in the middle, and Lewis may be able to sub in at strongside end in run packages. Every player should see a lot of time on the field this season, since Pendergast needs to keep his DTs fresh in his penetrating system. Kenny King needs to return to the field.

DE (4) - BERRY, OKEAFOR, A. Smith, A. Schable. The bad news: This went from a position of strength to perilously thin without a single injury. The good news: two games into the preseason, we can see why the defensive staff was comfortable moving Calvin Pace to linebacker. Antonio Smith has been dynamic at defensive end, and should be a great sub player. A healthy Kenny King would really strengthen this unit, but A.J. Schable cannot be depended on.

OLB (4) - PACE, HUFF, Dansby, Blackstock. This is nto a bad five-player rotation. Pace has a lot to learn in coverage as an outside linebacker, but that's why he's seeing a lot of snaps in the preseason. The team may be holding its breath that Brandon Johnson can be snuck onto the practice squad. It's essential that Karlos Dansby gets back on the field as soon as possible.

MLB (3) - DARLING, Hayes, Brown. The team would love Gerald Hayes to assume the starting job before camp breaks, but he has been inconsistent so far in the preseason and has not shown that he can make plays and be disciplined in this defense. Darling would provide excellent depth at both MLB and SLB should he get pushed down the depth chart, which would take the pressure off Calvin Pace on obvious passing downs.

DC (5) - ROLLE, MACKLIN, Green, Carter, Tate. Good first three, but flip a coin on the last two. Robert Tate could be cut with the promise that he'd be at the top of the list should an injury occur. It's this position along with offensive tackle that you look at and then you look at the $10 million this team is under the cap and just shake your head.

SS (2) - WILSON, Shazor. Adrian Wilson is the playmaker in this defense until Karlos Dansby returns to the field. A lot will be expected of him this season, when he'll have to really earn that Bentley that he's bought. The less Shazor is on the field, the better.

FS (2) - GRIFFITH, Francisco. Robert Griffith is not a playmaker and won't make many highlight reels, but he is the leader of the back seven of this defense and is good at getting the defensive players in position before the snap. There is not much that Griffith hasn't seen on the football field, which makes him the quarterback of this defense and an asset on the field.

TOTAL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS: 26

LS - HODEL
K - RACKERS
P - PLAYER

PS - PR/KR Spurlock, CB Wyatt, LB Brandon Johnson, WR Watkins, TE Stokes, RB Robinson, P Capshaw, FS Harrell, OC Schmitt, CB Hunter. I thought that stashing a punter on the PS was silly, but Rackers was a practice squad player for the Bengals. Emphasis on keeping Denny's draft picks and trying to develop depth in the secondary.

Good effort K9...it's great to see you go out on a limb!

You need to modify your offensive choices...you selected 27 players, not 24. Let me see what you do with those three choices before I respond to your decisions.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch said:
The Cardinals are now employing a power FB because of Bronson...and did so successfully against the Steelers. Bronson's strength thus far has been running the isolation play on the inside LB. His weakness has been in pass portection, obviously. But, as I pointed out, he over-committed himself to the block and didn't square up fast enough...that can be changed.

The Cardinals are employing a power FB because their starting FB is a known factor and they want to get Bronson some playing time, not because Bronson has been good. The fact that the Cards activated James Hodgins from the PUP list following Bronson's abyssmal performance against the Patriots does not make his starting job look promising.

Mitch said:
With the o-line being as questionable as it is...a blocking FB becomes more imperative...at least the blocking FB can protect against line penetration.

Edge runs better without a blocking back. With the stretch plays we run and our weapons at WR, the offense is going to be run without a FB on at least 70% of the plays. On the goal line, you're right, which is why Bronson has a chance of sticking on the roster. But 'Femi is a coaches' favorite was was re-signed this offseason. He's going to make the roster and he's going to start.

Mitch said:
The Cardinals aren't going to use Femi as a single back runner. He's a 3rd down back...and he's not a run blocker.

I like Femi's veteran presence, but, this team needs blocking FBs...not 3rd down FBs.

The Cards used Femi as a single-back runner in short-yardage situations last season as opposed to Marcel Shipp. Femi is a threat as both a runner and a receiver, and is a solid blocker. Most importantly, he's a known factor, which you consistently underrate.

Mitch said:
The Cardinals' LB coach, Frank Bush, was talking up Lance Mitchell just last week, saying that Mitchell is a better and stronger tackler this year. For some reason, Mitchell hasn't been playing in the games...or at least I haven't noticed him on special teams, if he has at least been playing there.

Maybe they're planning on stashing Mitchell on injured reserve, but the depth chart at MLB is getting a little crowded with Hayes, Darling, and Mark Brown. Mitchell needs to get on the field, regardless of what his coaches say.

Mitch said:
Your Damian Anderson argument is not very persuasive. Marcel Shipp has led the team in rushing 3 of the past 4 years. If Edge gets hurt, Shipp is a far better answer than Anderson.

Well, J.J. Arrington, the #2 back on the roster, is a far better answer than both of them. That's why he's the number 2. For the #3 job, it comes down to special teams play, and Anderson is far better on special teams than Shipp is. And he makes six times less money.

Mitch said:
I guarantee you...Jack Brewer will make this football team and be a standout on special teams. Shazor's chances are 50/50 right now...he still is a little slow and plays a tad too high...and needs to make some louder noises on special teams.

We'll see. Jack Brewer's not getting a lot of looks during game time right now. The long and the short of it is that this team needs to win, and you don't win a lot of games by having a lot of UDFA rookies on your roster, and you really don't win a lot of games by having them as starters.

Mitch said:
And if Francisco stays healthy...I will bet you a six pack of Heinkens, K9, that he will be the starter at FS before the bye week.

You're on, Mitch. I like the keg cans.

Mitch said:
We would think Green is the nickel back, but this week it was Robert Tate. Tate has a good shot of sticking on the roster or so it would seem.

I like Tate, but I think this team might want to keep younger players on the roster, since Tate isn't going to get picked up by anyone else. Tate played as well two years ago as he did last season, and that didn't keep him from being a training camp cut.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Good effort K9...it's great to see you go out on a limb!

You need to modify your offensive choices...you selected 27 players, not 24. Let me see what you do with those three choices before I respond to your decisions.

Stupid math...

Anderson's cut. Holliday moves to the PS, pushing out OC Schmitt. Jeremy Bridges gets cut and the Cards gamble that Fred Wakefield can hold down the ORT job for the first couple weeks of the season before Oliver Ross comes back. That one hurts.

The other possibility is that Duce Lutui or Elton Brown suddenly comes down with a broken hand and ends up on IR. With Leckey being a C/G, carrying 4 OGs on the active roster is a lot.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I agree with you 51 of those 53 players, K9.
(Wow, us agreeing on something is weird :D )

Shipp is better than Anderson - without any doubt. Shipp will stay.

I also think that we'll carry 6 WRs, but I'm guessing Watkins or Lee over Holiday. More upside.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
BACH said:
Shipp is better than Anderson - without any doubt. Shipp will stay.

As a special teamer? Neither is going to contribute running the ball--we're all going to have to get used to that. But we know what we're getting from Anderson on special teams. Shipp has been below-average in that role so far this preseason.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Stupid math...

Anderson's cut. Holliday moves to the PS, pushing out OC Schmitt. Jeremy Bridges gets cut and the Cards gamble that Fred Wakefield can hold down the ORT job for the first couple weeks of the season before Oliver Ross comes back. That one hurts.

The other possibility is that Duce Lutui or Elton Brown suddenly comes down with a broken hand and ends up on IR. With Leckey being a C/G, carrying 4 OGs on the active roster is a lot.

I like the effort, K9. These are tough decisions, aren't they? Especially when you come down to the last three or so.

Here are the choices I would question:

1. Keeping Navarre. Don't forget that Warner's injury prone...which means the #3 better be able to be a #2 if Warner gets hurt.

2. Keeping only 2 RBs (James and Arrington). I think you view Femi as a combo RB/FB...but still, 2 RBs is a tad unprecedented.

3. Cutting Jeremy Bridges and keeping Fred Wakefield. What's the logic here? Bridges is a more talented tackle (played one pretty good game there in week one, and Bridges doubles as a guard).

4. Keeping all three of these TEs...none of them can block on the NFL level right now. (I think the Cards will keep them anyway...so you are probably right)

5. Kenny King? Which part of "my wrist hurts" do you not understand?

6. Mark Brown doesn't play MLB, he's an OLB.

7. There's no way Denny will expose a 5th round draft pick to waivers...in this case, Brandon Johnson. Johnson, with his speed, can contribute on special teams and sometimes in the nickel (man coverage on TE) this year.

8. Interesting that you keep Dyshod Carter. I loved his tackle Saturday...but he has been deep on the depth chart...so deep that Macklin, Green and Wyatt all played before him at RCB in week one. He's got some catching up to do to make the roster, although Saturday's tackle should help.

I agree with all your other choices and I know how difficult these decisions are. I applaud you for giving it a try and you make some very good points...

I prefer the traditional green bottles, BTW!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Pariah said:

I agree with this, after thinking on it a while, just start Leckey at center go with Bridges until Ross get's back and be done with the monkey business.

That or sign someone right now for the RT spot.

Then make the most of it because right now that's about all we can do.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How can you justify John Bronson being the starter when he killed Kurt Warner Saturday.

This is off topic but why do teams have so much success against the Cards by lining up a defender way wide, either right or left side, and then having them just run right at our QB at the snap? Most of the time they come in unblocked or just run over the TE or RB trying to block them.

I've seen that every game for years. And I don't see the Cards doing the same thing regularly or having the same success when they do it.

Is it because of the depth of our QB drop or maybe because they have no fear of the run or that our TE's and RB's can't pass block?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Here are the choices I would question:

1. Keeping Navarre. Don't forget that Warner's injury prone...which means the #3 better be able to be a #2 if Warner gets hurt.

Well, I'm not holding out hope that the Steelers cut their #3. From what I heard from the Steeler fan sitting behind me at the preseason game, Omar Jacobs was having a hard time remembering the plays from the sideline to the huddle. He's destined for the practice squad or IR, and I wasn't really that impressed with the Steelers' #3 when he was in the game. Navarre's a fine #3 for now. Leinart can be the #2 and start and play well. He hasn't missed a game despite taking some serious hits in two years at USC. If we're down to our #3 QB, we're going to lose a lot of games, anyway.

Mitch said:
2. Keeping only 2 RBs (James and Arrington). I think you view Femi as a combo RB/FB...but still, 2 RBs is a tad unprecedented.

I do. Since James is going to be on the field for 3 downs anyway, I'm not sure what a below-average #3 RB is going to do when you get down to it that an above-average FB in 'Femi can't. It's interesting, but with Bronson taking a more traditional FB job (or Hodgins with Bronson going to the PS), it makes sense. 'Femi will be playing a major role as a #2 back this season, anyway.

Mitch said:
3. Cutting Jeremy Bridges and keeping Fred Wakefield. What's the logic here? Bridges is a more talented tackle (played one pretty good game there in week one, and Bridges doubles as a guard).

I think that Wakefield may have more upside, and I'm not that sold on Bridges. I think with the below-average depth we have at OT, and Wells and possibly Elton Brown being able to fill in, I don't think we can keep 4 OTs. It's a risk, but that's what happens. None of the OGs are going to make it to the PS, and I think that they all need the practice time for next season, so I don't really want to stash them on IR.

Mitch said:
4. Keeping all three of these TEs...none of them can block on the NFL level right now. (I think the Cards will keep them anyway...so you are probably right)

I don't see Jermaine Wiggins or Jim Kleinsasser becoming available on waivers anytime soon. The sooner that Bronson develops into a FB/H-Back, the better, but it's going to take time. Next year.

Mitch said:
5. Kenny King? Which part of "my wrist hurts" do you not understand?

He's important as a swing DE/DT to this team. Before he injured his wrist, he was the primary backup to Bertrand Berry. Calvin Pace is the best we have at SLB right now--for better or for worse--and I don't want to move him back to DE. We'll wait out Kenny King for now. No one's going to take Tyler King or A.J. Schable off waivers.

Mitch said:

He's big for an OLB. In Clancy's system, you can move the LBs around, which is why Darling was able to transition from backup WLB to starting MLB last season when Hayes went down. Brown has good size for an LB and I'm confident he can play in the middle. EDIT: Mark Brown's 6'0", 238. Gerald Hayes is listed at 6'1", 241 EDIT: OurLads.com has Mark Brown listed as the #3 MLB right now, as well. EDIT: So does the Arizona Cardinals' website.

Mitch said:
7. There's no way Denny will expose a 5th round draft pick to waivers...in this case, Brandon Johnson. Johnson, with his speed, can contribute on special teams and sometimes in the nickel (man coverage on TE) this year.

Why? 5th round picks get exposed to waivers all the time. Like Antonio Smith did, I believe, his rookie season. I think that Brandon Johnson can contribute this season on special teams, but he's far too raw to play any role on the defense. Speed alone isn't as important as technique at this level, and I think that Blackstock is further along at the WLB position. Brandon Johnson's caught in a numbers game right now, and thankfully he hasn't been particularly special in the preseason.

Mitch said:
8. Interesting that you keep Dyshod Carter. I loved his tackle Saturday...but he has been deep on the depth chart...so deep that Macklin, Green and Wyatt all played before him at RCB in week one. He's got some catching up to do to make the roster, although Saturday's tackle should help.

As I said, I think that any two guys can win the last two spots at cornerback (I think we'll keep 5). I'm not really married to any of them. Macklin, Rolle, and Green are the only ones that have a guaranteed job. I'm mostly looking for youth at the position, since we can develop those guys. I like Tate, but he's not going to get any better.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Mitch said:
WR (5): BOLDIN, FITZGERALD, JOHNSON, Walters, McCoy. Comment: We saw what it would be like to be without Johnson...there's no way I would trade him. Walters has been solid at PR and slot WR, although I am still intruiged with Spurlock. McCoy better start catching
I thought Walters really did an admirable job as a 3rd WR. It was Fitz (his uncharacteristic drop) and Boldin (no show) that affected the pass game from a WR perspective. This doesn't mean I want to trade BJ.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:

Today's paper said he's the backup to Hayes at MLB and Darling has moved out to WLB as a backup. Blackstock is backup at SLB.

No mention of Lance Mitchell at all. (Actually, there might have been. It said LB "Keith" Mitchell sat out of practice with an ankle injury.)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ol

Most of the "guesses" on the final roster have us going with ten OL. If Ross were healthy I think the team would go with nine, with Goren backing up at both tackle spots. I'm not sure if they would chance it (nine OL) even if they expected Ross back by the second game. By keeping Bridges or Wakefield on the opening day roster it will probably cost an LB or DB a spot. And with Dansby out it probably means nine DB's instead of ten. And with King probably going on the PUP list, ( is it for the first nine games?) I would imagine we'd have to go with only five WR's. One person who should be worried about a roster spot is Ayanbadejo. He's a third down back, but Edge does that job better.