Thoughts and Concerns

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks. I was hesitiant to join ASFN at first because I don't have anywhere close to the football knowledge that most people here have. I mean how could I have anything intelligent to add? So I joined the other "official" forum. I figured that was closer to my level. I didn't even post. Just looking at some of the conversations I would be getting myself into, I couldn't do it. So here I am. Maybe I'll learn something!

Or maybe we will learn something. Welcome.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, the one common thing that seems to occur in nearly every loss in close games at the end, is that our coaches fail to make the correct changes or calls, and the opponents seem to be able to make those same calls in their favor. This has been happening for a long time now, just like during the Super Bowl. We don't get the right players in the right position to make a difference in the outcome. This seems to happen if we have proven veterans on the field or rookies, so I am much less inclined to blame rookie mistakes for these failures.

I know that a lot of blame is being piled on our rookie corners, but that seems to me to be an easy out for the coaching staff. If they know that this is a weakness going in, why is no effort being made to provide help to them with the scheme? Why leave them alone on an island?

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I was hesitiant to join ASFN at first because I don't have anywhere close to the football knowledge that most people here have. I mean how could I have anything intelligent to add?
Sounds like you'd be a perfect candidate for a Cardinals FO position.:D Just kidding. Welcome to ASFN, better known as the Arizona Cardinals support group.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scenario.

You are hostage to South American rebels, they have you chained to a fence, a grenade in your mouth rigged so all you have to do is bite down and it's all over.

They tell you that you have one chance to live, as they watch the Cardinals on tv they tell you if they run a successful screen pass for a first down you can live, otherwise you die a horrible slow death.

You have 5 seconds before the grenade goes dead as soon as the Cardinals attempt a screen pass.

I'm biting down on the grenade.

ahahahahahahahahahahaha. that's freaking classic conrad!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Brown hosed it by letting go too soon and Beanie was still trying to get to where Kolb was going to throw it, but I do think now he probably should have just tried to lob it over Tollefson because as Bucky and others said even if it's incomplete, as long as he doesn't ground it, it's 3rd and 1..

I agree that he should have thrown it - but he never would have completed it. But he TRULY shouldn't have taken a sack there.

That doesn't mean the play was set up well - it means that Kolb should have gotten the best result out of it, an incompletion and 3rd and 1.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that he should have thrown it - but he never would have completed it. But he TRULY shouldn't have taken a sack there.

That doesn't mean the play was set up well - it means that Kolb should have gotten the best result out of it, an incompletion and 3rd and 1.

Yes I agree with that now. On Sunday I didn't agree I felt he took the sack to avoid either grounding it or risking having the ball tipped or picked off by a defender we couldn't see. I think it's now pretty clear there was no defender we couldn't see, so if he just gets the ball over Tollefson either Beanie catches it, or idrops it, or it hits the turf.

At the time I disagreed with Buckybird on that but now I agree he was right and I was wrong.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Yes I agree with that now. On Sunday I didn't agree I felt he took the sack to avoid either grounding it or risking having the ball tipped or picked off by a defender we couldn't see. I think it's now pretty clear there was no defender we couldn't see, so if he just gets the ball over Tollefson either Beanie catches it, or idrops it, or it hits the turf.

At the time I disagreed with Buckybird on that but now I agree he was right and I was wrong.

:thumbup:

I've only been wrong once Russ & thats when I said I do ;)
I knew I could bring some others to the darkside with me Lol

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened to the defense in the final 5 minutes? Prevent defense is what happened. They quit doing the things that they had done throughout the game and allowed Manning all the time he needed to pick them apart. When will this team ever learn?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened to the defense in the final 5 minutes? Prevent defense is what happened. They quit doing the things that they had done throughout the game and allowed Manning all the time he needed to pick them apart. When will this team ever learn?

sadly, i'm starting to believe when they get a new coach.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

Don't you think that possibly it's the entire situation that causes this or do you think it's just a bunch of out of shape players?

We are conditioned by a professional trainer, we train like every other NFL team, yet our guys are gassed at the end of almost every game.

It could be that it's coaching and the FO who've left them on an island without depth or if they do have depth the coaches won't play them.

Any way you slice it you can't blame players for being tired, they are told when to go in and when to come out.