Thoughts on Rolle, Leinart, FA & of course, The Draft

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. What compounds the contract situation with FS Antrel Rolle is the fact that if they lose him, the team gets nothing in return. Since he was released, his signing elsewhere would not factor into the compensatory picks considerations. And if the same thing occurs with Matt Leinart next year, this would mean that the Cardinals would have lost both their top 10 first round draft picks in '05 and '06 for nothing in return.

2. Corey Chavous on his website has some very positive things to say about Matt Leinart. He likes the way Leinart can throw the ball on the run and attributes his high throws to "overanxiousness" and perhaps too much adrenaline. He also states that in this offense with the RAC WRs the Cardinals have that Leinart has to be efficient in getting the ball consistently in the short to intermediate areas in order for the offense to work, and feels that Leinart is very capable of doing this.

3. For some reason I get the sense that Whiz is not that worried about the defense, which tells me he has a solid plan on which free agents to add and what players to draft.

4. As for the unrestricted free agents, the Cardinals can sign one big contract player (exceeding $5.5M per year) if they wish to and here are some that perhaps make the most sense:

FS Ryan Clark---replaces Rolle and is an upgrade at the position.

FS Darren Sharper---same, and brings great leadership.

CB Dunta Robinson---gives the Cardinals one of the most talented CB tandems in the NFL. Allows the team to release Bryant McFadden and his $5M.

CB Leigh Bodden---the Patriots are furiously trying to re-sign him this week before FA starts, but he's be a super addition if he hits the FA market.

DT Fred Robbins---if you think he is the answer at NT. Has been a 4-3 DT to date.

LB Gary Brackett---if you think his game translates well to Dansby's spot. Indy is trying its best to get a deal done with him this week.

LB Tully Banta-Cain---becomes the starter at WOLB and solidifies the starting lineup while the youngsters get stronger and more experienced.

LB Joey Porter---same, and could bring a fiery attitude that this defense could use, albeit a potentially volatile one.

DE Aaron Kampman---takes Berry's role, which is key because the Cardinals need rush DEs for their 4 man rushes.

Please feel free to add to this list if you think of someone I missed. Thanks.

And the Cardinals could add another one of these players if and when Dansby signs elsewhere.

5. Now for the Under $3.7M per year options...these were players I took note of...some are borderline choices but I added them as well (I placed asterisks with my favorites):

LB:

ATL-Tony Gilbert
BUF-Chris Draft
CHI-Pisa Tinoisamoa
DEN-Nick Greisen
DET-Larry Foote*
HOU-Chaun Thompson
NO-Scott Fujita
NYG-Danny Clark
STL-Paris Lenon
TB-Angelo Crowell
TEN-Kyle Vanden Bosch

CB:

ATL-Brian Williams
CAR-Dante Wesley
CLE-Hank Poteat
DET-Anthony Henry*
DET-William James
MIA-Nathan Jones
MIN-Benny Sapp
PIT-Deshea Townsend
SEA-Ken Lucas*
SF-Dre' Bly*
SF-Walt Harris

NT:

BAL-Justin Bannon*
BAL-Dwan Edwards*
MIN-Jimmy Kennedy*
NO-Kendrick Clancy
SD-Ian Scott

S:

BUF-Bryan Scott
HOU-Brian Russell
PIT-Tyrone Carter
TB-Will Allen*
TB-Jermaine Phillips*
TEN-Kevin Kaesveharn

QB:

ATL-Chris Redman
CAR-A.J. Feeley
DET-Daunte Culpepper
MIA-Chad Pennington*
NYG-David Carr
PIT-Charlie Batch

T:

GB-Chad Clifton
GB-Mark Tauscher
OAK-Cornell Green
WAS-Levi Jones
WAS-Mike Williams

G:

CAR-Keydrick Vincent
CIN-Bobbie Williams
DET-Damion Cook
HOU-Chester Pitts*
MIN-Artis Hicks
NE-Steven Neal*

TE:

DET-Will Heller
NE-Ben Watson* (may command more than $3.7M)
SD-Brandon Manumaleuna
STL-Randy McMichael
TEN-Alge Crumpler

FB:

CIN: Jeremi Johnson
NYJ-Tony Richardson
SEA-Justin Griffith

WR:

HOU-Kevin Walter* (will command more than $3.7M)

6. If the Cardinals take care of their immediate defensive needs prior to the draft, would it be a stretch to think they might consider a QB at #26, especially if the QB they like might be projected as a 2nd rounder and they would worry about losing him before the #57 pick? The way Jevan Snead threw at the combine yesterday may have opened many conversations.

My guess is that the Cardinals will have their eye on a QB they think they can take in the 4th or 5th round. But Snead, with his arm strength, is an enticing prospect.

7. Congratulations to Crazy Canuck. It was an unbelievable game...and Crosby's give and go was textbook.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Cards take a QB at #26 someone should be FIRED!!! This team needs defensive players and depth not a young QB prospect in the first round!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
If the Cards take a QB at #26 someone should be FIRED!!! This team needs defensive players and depth not a young QB prospect in the first round!

While I totally understand your stance, the QB situation is a major concern and cannot be ignored. Even if Leinart plays well this year he could force the Cardinals to release him the way Rolle has, and then what?

Like I said, I think the Cardinals will be targetting a QB in the 4th or 5th round the way they targeted RB Tim Hightower...but...if you want Jevan Snead and you can't trade down, you have to weigh the options at #26.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think that Darren Sharper or Fred Robbins will take up the $5.5 million exemption. Sharper'll sign for the $3.3 on a three-year deal, but I wouldn't offer it to him.

Defensive secondary players are only as good as the pass rushers in front of them. Ryan Clark played in one of the best rush defenses in the NFL. Darren Sharper played behind a defense headed by Gregg Williams, one of the best pressure defensive coordinators for a 4-3 defense operating in the NFL. Sharper didn't suddenly go from being used up to being good; the pass rush protecting him got better. I personally would rather have Rolle than either of those players.

That's why the Cards are working so hard to re-sign him. Put a more consistent pass rush in front of Antrel Rolle, and he might earn his way to a Pro Bowl.

Fred Robbins was benched late in the season by the Giants. I believe that he'll be able to operate in a 3-4, and I don't think he'll cost $5.5 million, either. I'd love to bring in him and Jimmy Kennedy to compete with Watson and a draft pick for two or three NT spots in training camp.

If you're not going to listen to Joeshmo tell you that Gary Brackett isn't going to fit into this defense, you're not going to listen to me tell you. But I do think that Scott Fujita has the coverage ability to do what the Cards need to help replace Dansby. The question is whether Fujita can stay healthy. He only has 23 starts the past 2 seasons.

I would throw that $5.5 million at Tully Banta-Cain and if that doesn't work Joey Porter. That figure isn't much more than what we've already spent for less production with Berry and Okeafor.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't care how Jevan Snead threw at the combine if he goes before round 3 someone is seriously reaching.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
While I totally understand your stance, the QB situation is a major concern and cannot be ignored. Even if Leinart plays well this year he could force the Cardinals to release him the way Rolle has, and then what?

Like I said, I think the Cardinals will be targetting a QB in the 4th or 5th round the way they targeted RB Tim Hightower...but...if you want Jevan Snead and you can't trade down, you have to weigh the options at #26.

If Leinart plays well than his $12 million salary will be a value. The Franchise number for QBs this year is over $14.5 million. That's before Peyton Manning gets his extension.

Jevan Snead is not going to be a first-round pick whether the Cards take him or not. He'll likely not even be a 3rd round pick. I don't care how he threw at the Combine, dude threw 20 picks last season and only started 26 college games.

The two best indicators of NFL success coming out of college are completion percentage and number of starts. In Jevan Sneed's last start, he complted 56% of his passes for no TDs and 3 INTs.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I don't care how Jevan Snead threw at the combine if he goes before round 3 someone is seriously reaching.

He will be off the board in Round 2, I guarantee it. He came out too early, we all know that, but his upside is too big to ignore.

The other QB the Cardinals might consider at #26 is Colt McCoy. Just prepping you for the weeks of talk ahead. There will be much consideration about a QB at #26, just saying.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch I know you don't care for Leinart but the team obviously is moving forward with him and I am betting there is 0% chance the Cardinals have even considered a QB at #26.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I don't think it's a major concern, but I agree that the organization needs to be more proactive with Leinart's escalators (if he does well) than they were with Rolle. The only real concern is to get two QBs on the roster: one in the draft and one in FA. So easy, even Graves can do it.

When Rodgers proved he was the real deal, Green Bay did not hesitate to lock him up with a multi-year deal during the middle of the season. I would like to see the organization break tradition and re-sign him in during the season.

As for QB at #26....No....We need a QB in the draft but not one where we have to throw $10+ mil guaranteed for 5 or 6 years. Best to pick up a Levi Brown from Troy or a LeFevour from CMU to groom as an insurance policy.

Last edited:

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
No there won't be any conversations about taking a QB at 26. Sounds like somebody has a serious axe to grind about Leinart.

We have more serious needs to address than QB. Such as NT, ILB, CB, OT and OG. What the Cardinals need right now is a VET QB backup not a year or two of growing pains. IF Cardinals do draft QB it will be in ther later rounds 4-7.

While we're throwing the mays and mights out there...They might consider Tim Tebow in the 3rd, just saying...It's what they'll actually DO is what matters.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
He will be off the board in Round 2, I guarantee it. He came out too early, we all know that, but his upside is too big to ignore.

The other QB the Cardinals might consider at #26 is Colt McCoy. Just prepping you for the weeks of talk ahead. There will be much consideration about a QB at #26, just saying.

If Snead is off the board in round 2 I will be shocked, someone will have reached big time for a guy without the numbers to justify that pick. He actually got worse from his Soph to Jr year.

We won't take a Qb in rounds 1,2 or 3 IMO--we have needs at too many other places for that to make any sense.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If Snead is off the board in round 2 I will be shocked, someone will have reached big time for a guy without the numbers to justify that pick. He actually got worse from his Soph to Jr year.

We won't take a Qb in rounds 1,2 or 3 IMO--we have needs at too many other places for that to make any sense.

I agree. Snead will be a mid to late 3rd rounder. He will be drafted after Claussen, Bradford, Tebow, J. Brown and McCoy. Snead probably supplanted LeFevour because he opted not to throw at the combine.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I don't think that Darren Sharper or Fred Robbins will take up the $5.5 million exemption. Sharper'll sign for the $3.3 on a three-year deal, but I wouldn't offer it to him.

Defensive secondary players are only as good as the pass rushers in front of them. Ryan Clark played in one of the best rush defenses in the NFL. Darren Sharper played behind a defense headed by Gregg Williams, one of the best pressure defensive coordinators for a 4-3 defense operating in the NFL. Sharper didn't suddenly go from being used up to being good; the pass rush protecting him got better. I personally would rather have Rolle than either of those players.

That's why the Cards are working so hard to re-sign him. Put a more consistent pass rush in front of Antrel Rolle, and he might earn his way to a Pro Bowl.

Fred Robbins was benched late in the season by the Giants. I believe that he'll be able to operate in a 3-4, and I don't think he'll cost $5.5 million, either. I'd love to bring in him and Jimmy Kennedy to compete with Watson and a draft pick for two or three NT spots in training camp.

If you're not going to listen to Joeshmo tell you that Gary Brackett isn't going to fit into this defense, you're not going to listen to me tell you. But I do think that Scott Fujita has the coverage ability to do what the Cards need to help replace Dansby. The question is whether Fujita can stay healthy. He only has 23 starts the past 2 seasons.

I would throw that $5.5 million at Tully Banta-Cain and if that doesn't work Joey Porter. That figure isn't much more than what we've already spent for less production with Berry and Okeafor.

If you listen to you and Joe we'd never pick or sign anyone...both of you are thread trollers who are afraid to put names out there and you bash whatever names people put out there. It's unreal.

Last year, I had a mock where I had the Titans trading the #30 pick to the Cardinals for Boldin and I had the Cardinals taking WR Kenny Britt in that spot (which as it turns out is just where he was taken), which caused Joe to go into a vitriolic tirade about how worthless he was and what a completely over-rated, selfish, unskilled and undeserving he was. Problem is you and Joe believe everything you read...if you read one bad article or Huddle Report prognosis you are all atwitter. How about actually seeing these guys play and forming an opinion?

Hey, and Joe didn't even have the decency to say hey good call on Britt after he torched us and had a danged good rookie season.

You see that Snead threw 20 ints last year so you stick a freaking fork in him. Let me enlighten you, Snead may wind up being the Brett Favre of this draft...he has that type of arm. So few rookies are going to be instant stars...the whole draft is a crap shoot...you often go with talent and you hope to develop it.

I know one thing for sure, neither you or Joe would have ever drafted a QB from Northern Iowa...he would have been a joke to you both.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I know one thing for sure, neither you or Joe would have ever drafted a QB from Northern Iowa...he would have been a joke to you both.

Umm hate to break it to you but NOBODY drafted a QB from Northern Iowa so thats not exactly saying much.

I am not sure how much of Snead you watched last season, I saw him a lot, we get Ole Miss & Tenn games here every week on TV (we are only about 50 miles from Oxford). Snead panics in the pocket, he rushes throws, he misses wide open guys, he has a lot of problems that will have to be coached out, he is not a first or second round talent and it can be argued he isn't even worthy of a third round pick.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Not with this group coming out. Next season it will be a viable debate, not this season. No way they go QB before the 3rd. Snead could be considered then if he's still on the board. He still has plenty of detractors.

More likely is a 5th or 6th round project QB. One possibly early next yr.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you listen to you and Joe we'd never pick or sign anyone...both of you are thread trollers who are afraid to put names out there and you bash whatever names people put out there. It's unreal.

Last year, I had a mock where I had the Titans trading the #30 pick to the Cardinals for Boldin and I had the Cardinals taking WR Kenny Britt in that spot (which as it turns out is just where he was taken), which caused Joe to go into a vitriolic tirade about how worthless he was and what a completely over-rated, selfish, unskilled and undeserving he was. Problem is you and Joe believe everything you read...if you read one bad article or Huddle Report prognosis you are all atwitter. How about actually seeing these guys play and forming an opinion?

Hey, and Joe didn't even have the decency to say hey good call on Britt after he torched us and had a danged good rookie season.

You see that Snead threw 20 ints last year so you stick a freaking fork in him. Let me enlighten you, Snead may wind up being the Brett Favre of this draft...he has that type of arm. So few rookies are going to be instant stars...the whole draft is a crap shoot...you often go with talent and you hope to develop it.

Wow. I guess that it doesn't matter that I put five names "out there" in the very post that you quote.

The thing is, Mitch, that you put so much "out there" that you expect a pat on the back every time one strand of spaghetti that you hurl at the wall sticks? Is your Kenny Britt "prediction" (among how many just last year?) supposed to erase your prediction that Raynoch Thompson was going to be a Pro Bowl player?

I'm not saying that Jevan Snead is never going to make it in the NFL. I'm saying that he's not going to be a first-round pick. I'm not sure that Jimmy Clausen or Colt McCoy are going to be first round picks, and even you have to believe that both of those guys are better prospects than Snead.

As for your assertion that I never make predictions, or they don't come true, I suggest you follow this link and I think you'll be proven wrong. Just because I don't make crazy predictions doesn't mean that I don't make them.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Umm hate to break it to you but NOBODY drafted a QB from Northern Iowa so thats not exactly saying much.

I am not sure how much of Snead you watched last season, I saw him a lot, we get Ole Miss & Tenn games here every week on TV (we are only about 50 miles from Oxford). Snead panics in the pocket, he rushes throws, he misses wide open guys, he has a lot of problems that will have to be coached out, he is not a first or second round talent and it can be argued he isn't even worthy of a third round pick.

Granted, Zeno. But there is no mistaking this kid's talent. NFL coaches think they can mold talent. Hey, before Whiz came Warner was an afterthought.

I am not advocating taking Snead at #26...what I was posing as a question is will the QB position be considered at #26, especially if the immediate defensive needs are met in FA, and knowing what I know about Whiz, the answer to me is a resounding yes.

Whiz has yet to draft a QB. This year he will. When and where we don't know.

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him take Colt McCoy at #26, if he thought McCoy was his guy.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score

I got a feeling you didn't want watch much of Sneads games...I watched him 3 times and he looked terrible against South Carolina (7 of 21) Alambama yeah its Bama but still (11 of 34 with 4 Ints) and Auburn. You don't have to be Brett Farve on this team. We need someone whos going to get the ball to the playmakers which Leinart can.

I don't know why you had you bring up drafting a QB from Northern Iowa since a lot of us were happy with drafting a CB out of Tenn State..I think DRC is his name.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Wow. I guess that it doesn't matter that I put five names "out there" in the very post that you quote.

The thing is, Mitch, that you put so much "out there" that you expect a pat on the back every time one strand of spaghetti that you hurl at the wall sticks? Is your Kenny Britt "prediction" (among how many just last year?) supposed to erase your prediction that Raynoch Thompson was going to be a Pro Bowl player?

I'm not saying that Jevan Snead is never going to make it in the NFL. I'm saying that he's not going to be a first-round pick. I'm not sure that Jimmy Clausen or Colt McCoy are going to be first round picks, and even you have to believe that both of those guys are better prospects than Snead.

As for your assertion that I never make predictions, or they don't come true, I suggest you follow this link and I think you'll be proven wrong. Just because I don't make crazy predictions doesn't mean that I don't make them.

That's a good pick, K9. Kudos. But that doesn't mean that you or I or Joe are always right. We should be supportive of one another especially when we disagree. What irks me is the condescending tone. No one deserves that.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I got a feeling you didn't want watch much of Sneads games...I watched him 3 times and he looked terrible against South Carolina (7 of 21) Alambama yeah its Bama but still (11 of 34 with 4 Ints) and Auburn. You don't have to be Brett Farve on this team. We need someone whos going to get the ball to the playmakers which Leinart can.

I don't know why you had you bring up drafting a QB from Northern Iowa since a lot of us were happy with drafting a CB out of Tenn State..I think DRC is his name.

I saw a few of Snead's games and I too was concerned about his decision making. I was also concerned about Warner's decision making when Denny Green was the coach along with his new OC of the week.

But, what I saw in Snead is what few QBs possess, the quick trigger and the rifle arm. And in the games I saw he was mostly accurate.

You know, going into this year many college football experts has Snead rated at the top of their boards...they see the talent.

All this said, the only point I was trying to make is that with Cardinals' QB situation as murky as it is, don't be totally surprised if the Cardinals go for a QB even as early as #26.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Could Wiz & Co. draft a QB at #26? Yes, but I think the chances are slim though McCloy could be intriguing but that basically is telling Matt goodbye without seeing what he's got. Our last 2 playoff losses were all due to lack of enough quality defensive players. Wiz is a smart guy who understands the teams biggest weaknesses, thus the Cards draft the BPA/need on that side of the ball. OLB, ILB, NT, CB are the most logical choices.

I still like Levi Brown in rds 5-7, the conferance player of the year in the Sunbelt despite only playing 1 1/2 years at QB. The kid will only get better.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Following Mitch's logic I would be thrilled if we draft a QB in Rd1 because that means we had an amazing FA period. Since we won't be that active in FA and and this is the deepest draft in decades at just about every position except QB I'm expecting we don't draft a QB until much later in the draft.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
4. As for the unrestricted free agents, the Cardinals can sign one big contract player (exceeding $5.5M per year) if they wish to and here are some that perhaps make the most sense:

5. Now for the Under $3.7M per year options...these were players I took note of...some are borderline choices but I added them as well (I placed asterisks with my favorites):

It will be very interesting to see what the market value of players will be this free agency. We may be pleasantly surprised and see the owners show serious restraint. If that happens we may see an increase of $3.7 players. Conversely it only takes one or two owners going on a spending spree to greatly raise values this year as well.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will be very interesting to see what the market value of players will be this free agency. We may be pleasantly surprised and see the owners show serious restraint. If that happens we may see an increase of $3.7 players. Conversely it only takes one or two owners going on a spending spree to greatly raise values this year as well.

Snyder will buy everyone in sight, he has a disorder or something.

Actually I'm hoping your right.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
7. Congratulations to Crazy Canuck. It was an unbelievable game...and Crosby's give and go was textbook.

Thanks, Mitch...

This whole country was holding its collective breath. The US team, and particularly its goal tender were superb, which makes the victory all the more satisfying.

As trite, and perhaps inappropriate, it is almost a JFK moment up here: As in "where were you when Sid the Kid scored"?

PS: Having watched today's combine, I doubt very much that Mount Cody will be available at #26, let alone the later rounds.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05